Author Topic: Gojira  (Read 53834 times)

Online fadetoblackdude7

Re: Gojira
« Reply #455 on: April 08, 2022, 09:57:11 AM »
They also commonly write spiritual lyrics as well. Particularly spiritual healing, like Esoteric Surgery

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #456 on: April 08, 2022, 11:52:22 AM »
I find Gojira's lyrics to be one of the things I love most about them! They are singing about environmentalism and anti-capitalism! It makes them really unique and I can connect with their lyrics more than the generic lyrics most metal bands churn out!

Everyone has their opinions and all but this one truly baffles me. Can you give some examples of the lyrics you find ridiculous?

I could give examples, but in more broad terms, the bolded in your post nailed it already.  Although as to the first one, I would slightly modify that to "environmental activism," which is more where their lyrics seem to lean, and also sometimes with a touch of spiritualism tied to that environmental activism, which just takes it over the top.  To me, "environmentalism" means being a good steward of the environment, which I feel we ALL have an obligation to do in varying degrees.  Environmental activism takes it to an absurd extreme that I can never get behind, and often entails a set of beliefs that are destructive and stupid.

While I respect your opinion...

The lyrics are just getting people to understand the consequences that happened to the planets environment and ecosystem because of the decisions humans have made.

Although this thread might not be the place, I wouldn't mind a PM, but can you give me examples of what you mean by absurd extreme environmental activism? and what set of beliefs you consider destructive and stupid?

Because I will say, a lot of the comforts of life humans crave is destructive for the entire environment of the planet. And based on the album "From Mars, to Sirius" some "Primitive" cultures that are considered "Third World" are holding that obligation of being good stewards of the environment. That album is based off the knowledge and perceptions of the Dogon people in Africa.

https://anomalien.com/the-dogon-people-primitive-tribe-with-knowledge-of-the-universe/
According to Dogon folklore, the star Sirius (one of our closest celestial neighbors at only 8.6 light years away) actually has a companion star that is not visible to the naked eye. Their traditions claim that this mysterious invisible companion star completes an elliptical orbit around Sirius every 50 years.

This information has been an integral component of their religious beliefs for thousands of years, and yet scientific research did not confirm its validity until the mid-1800s when Western astronomers began to notice irregularities in the movement of Sirius.

This prompted further research and eventually, a theory was formed that Sirius was being influenced by the movements of a second star. This theory was finally confirmed in 1862 when astronomers finally detected a faint companion star, which eventually came to be known as “Sirius B”....

This staggering insight into astronomical phenomena was first recorded by Marcel Griaule and Germaine Dieterlen, two French anthropologists that first made contact with the Dogon in 1931 and continued to intensely study their culture for the next three decades.

The astronomical knowledge of the Dogon tribe was considered to be so advanced and so precise that a significant amount of controversy began to arise regarding its origins. According to Dogon legend, their ancestors received this knowledge from the Nommos, a race of extraterrestrial beings that visited the Earth thousands of years ago.

Dogon myths describe the Nommos as being amphibious, fish-like humanoids that arrived on Earth in a rotating “ark” accompanied by fire and thunder. The Nommos supposedly established a large water reservoir on the Earth and then inhabited the water.

In other words, that album is about a person taking an astral journey to Sirius where the flying whales show him the future of a possible outcome if humans do not change their behavior on how they treat the Earth.

It's the reason I consider Global Warming there best song.

And a reason why Amazonia hits more for me, as those people down there are like the brothers and sisters of my people, as we have oral stories about our migrations from those places down in South America. And those natives down there who are trying their best to hold their obligation of being good stewards of the Earth, are being forced out by their own government and forced to fight for that obligation to continue to be good stewards of the Earth. All because humans desire the comforts that are produced by the destruction of the Amazon, and the same is said for the other comforts humans desire that destroy the environment of the Earth.

In other words, that Environmental Activism is not entirely based off of a set of stupid beliefs. I find the term, "stupid beliefs" regarding being active on caring about the environment a bit offensive, honestly.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #457 on: April 08, 2022, 12:04:06 PM »
Maybe I'm not reading deep enough but even when Gojira are the most upfront and ham-fisted about their environmental messages (the song A Sight To Behold, for example), the lyrics are mostly just conveying anger and frustration about the situation, and never really advocate for any specific action or response from the audience, "destructive" or otherwise.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #458 on: April 09, 2022, 01:10:42 AM »
I find Gojira's lyrics to be one of the things I love most about them! They are singing about environmentalism and anti-capitalism! It makes them really unique and I can connect with their lyrics more than the generic lyrics most metal bands churn out!

Everyone has their opinions and all but this one truly baffles me. Can you give some examples of the lyrics you find ridiculous?

I could give examples, but in more broad terms, the bolded in your post nailed it already.  Although as to the first one, I would slightly modify that to "environmental activism," which is more where their lyrics seem to lean, and also sometimes with a touch of spiritualism tied to that environmental activism, which just takes it over the top.  To me, "environmentalism" means being a good steward of the environment, which I feel we ALL have an obligation to do in varying degrees.  Environmental activism takes it to an absurd extreme that I can never get behind, and often entails a set of beliefs that are destructive and stupid.

The lyrics are just getting people to understand the consequences that happened to the planets environment and ecosystem because of the decisions humans have made.

Although this thread might not be the place, I wouldn't mind a PM, but can you give me examples of what you mean by absurd extreme environmental activism? and what set of beliefs you consider destructive and stupid?

Because I will say, a lot of the comforts of life humans crave is destructive for the entire environment of the planet. And based on the album "From Mars, to Sirius" some "Primitive" cultures that are considered "Third World" are holding that obligation of being good stewards of the environment. That album is based off the knowledge and perceptions of the Dogon people in Africa.

https://anomalien.com/the-dogon-people-primitive-tribe-with-knowledge-of-the-universe/
According to Dogon folklore, the star Sirius (one of our closest celestial neighbors at only 8.6 light years away) actually has a companion star that is not visible to the naked eye. Their traditions claim that this mysterious invisible companion star completes an elliptical orbit around Sirius every 50 years.

This information has been an integral component of their religious beliefs for thousands of years, and yet scientific research did not confirm its validity until the mid-1800s when Western astronomers began to notice irregularities in the movement of Sirius.

This prompted further research and eventually, a theory was formed that Sirius was being influenced by the movements of a second star. This theory was finally confirmed in 1862 when astronomers finally detected a faint companion star, which eventually came to be known as “Sirius B”....

This staggering insight into astronomical phenomena was first recorded by Marcel Griaule and Germaine Dieterlen, two French anthropologists that first made contact with the Dogon in 1931 and continued to intensely study their culture for the next three decades.

The astronomical knowledge of the Dogon tribe was considered to be so advanced and so precise that a significant amount of controversy began to arise regarding its origins. According to Dogon legend, their ancestors received this knowledge from the Nommos, a race of extraterrestrial beings that visited the Earth thousands of years ago.

Dogon myths describe the Nommos as being amphibious, fish-like humanoids that arrived on Earth in a rotating “ark” accompanied by fire and thunder. The Nommos supposedly established a large water reservoir on the Earth and then inhabited the water.

In other words, that album is about a person taking an astral journey to Sirius where the flying whales show him the future of a possible outcome if humans do not change their behavior on how they treat the Earth.

And a reason why Amazonia hits more for me, as those people down there are like the brothers and sisters of my people, as we have oral stories about our migrations from those places down in South America. And those natives down there who are trying their best to hold their obligation of being good stewards of the Earth, are being forced out by their own government and forced to fight for that obligation to continue to be good stewards of the Earth. All because humans desire the comforts that are produced by the destruction of the Amazon, and the same is said for the other comforts humans desire that destroy the environment of the Earth.

In other words, that Environmental Activism is not entirely based off of a set of stupid beliefs. I find the term, "stupid beliefs" regarding being active on caring about the environment a bit offensive, honestly.

Wow, thanks for this. You've articulated things better than I could and all that stuff about Dogon folklore is fascinating. I'm definitely going to read up on that. I agree that one of Gojira's main themes in their lyrics is that our westernised style of life is killing the planet. I couldn't agree more, and although I take advantage of a lot of what modern day civilisation offers, my wife and I have contemplated a style of life that is more 'off grid' and minimalistic (less consuming of pointless crap).

Buddyhunter1, I kinda see what you're saying, but I don't expect a band to necessarily advocate for a specific action, I think it is OK to just try to open the eyes of their listeners and get them to think about how their way of living effects our planet.

In Silvera they sing "Time to open your eyes to this genocide. When you clear your mind, you see it all. You'rereceiving the gold of a better life. When you change yourself, you change the world". My personal interpretation of lyrics like these are that people in westernised society are reaping the rewards, and living a comfortable life off the slave labour that facilitates that lifestyle. Gojira want their listeners to open their eyes to this, and make a change to the way we live. If we consume less we can make a change to where are planet is headed.

It's like with punk and it's political themes. There are of course punk bands who do advocate for change but there are plenty of bands I grew up listening to that opened my eyes to the fact that our governments don't have our best interests at heart etc. That could be my cynical world view but music, through it's lyrical themes, has opened my eyes to the world and generally the music I gravitate towards lines up with my world views.

That for me is where I'm at with Gojira. I'll be honest, I've never delved too deep into their lyrics but this is giving me the urge to.

I love discussions like this and it has given me the urge to do a full discography playthrough!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 01:22:18 AM by twosuitsluke »

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #459 on: April 09, 2022, 10:12:24 AM »
Buddyhunter1, I kinda see what you're saying, but I don't expect a band to necessarily advocate for a specific action, I think it is OK to just try to open the eyes of their listeners and get them to think about how their way of living effects our planet.

I agree, in fact I usually much prefer that approach. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #460 on: April 09, 2022, 12:15:55 PM »

Wow, thanks for this. You've articulated things better than I could and all that stuff about Dogon folklore is fascinating. I'm definitely going to read up on that. I agree that one of Gojira's main themes in their lyrics is that our westernised style of life is killing the planet. I couldn't agree more, and although I take advantage of a lot of what modern day civilisation offers, my wife and I have contemplated a style of life that is more 'off grid' and minimalistic (less consuming of pointless crap).

In Silvera they sing "Time to open your eyes to this genocide. When you clear your mind, you see it all. You'rereceiving the gold of a better life. When you change yourself, you change the world". My personal interpretation of lyrics like these are that people in westernised society are reaping the rewards, and living a comfortable life off the slave labour that facilitates that lifestyle. Gojira want their listeners to open their eyes to this, and make a change to the way we live. If we consume less we can make a change to where are planet is headed.

It's like with punk and it's political themes. There are of course punk bands who do advocate for change but there are plenty of bands I grew up listening to that opened my eyes to the fact that our governments don't have our best interests at heart etc. That could be my cynical world view but music, through it's lyrical themes, has opened my eyes to the world and generally the music I gravitate towards lines up with my world views.

That for me is where I'm at with Gojira. I'll be honest, I've never delved too deep into their lyrics but this is giving me the urge to.

I love discussions like this and it has given me the urge to do a full discography playthrough!

I finally listened to Fortitude all the way through and it's a fantastic album lyrically. Fortitude is an amazing song as is The Chant. I followed along by reading the lyrics on Genius, and they have quotes from interviews on some of the songs meanings.

Grind is a great one, because it's about even though all this should be considered. You should still wash the dishes, and just grind your way through this life. Like finding a way to get money, and live life as fulfilling as you can.. because this is reality, even though one may not like the lifestyle, habits, and behaviors of the way humans currently live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline emtee

« Reply #461 on: September 07, 2022, 09:38:17 AM »
Bump.

This band has been owning me lately. Specifically how stunningly tight they are and the unique rhythm patterns. The drummer is extremely talented.

The Grammy nominations prompted me to spin their most recent album and it is awesome.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #462 on: September 07, 2022, 09:47:08 AM »
Bump.

This band has been owning me lately. Specifically how stunningly tight they are and the unique rhythm patterns. The drummer is extremely talented.

The Grammy nominations prompted me to spin their most recent album and it is awesome.
:metal

I really liked their last album. Not my favorite from them but pretty enjoyable for sure.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #463 on: October 21, 2022, 07:54:21 AM »
Missed this release from last week (I think), but Gojira dropped a single. Not bad at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76u8h0gjd-Y

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #464 on: October 22, 2022, 12:04:20 PM »
Missed this release from last week (I think), but Gojira dropped a single. Not bad at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76u8h0gjd-Y

Yea I've listened to it a few times and am liking it. Some if the riffage reminds me of Lamb of God.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #465 on: May 09, 2023, 02:28:26 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #466 on: May 09, 2023, 02:42:22 PM »
That definitely odd but enjoyable.

Speaking of odd and enjoyable, check out Nick Nocturnal's Gojira song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaWpBUxUYiE

The actual song starts around 5:05.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #467 on: May 10, 2023, 10:10:07 AM »
That definitely odd but enjoyable.

Speaking of odd and enjoyable, check out Nick Nocturnal's Gojira song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaWpBUxUYiE

The actual song starts around 5:05.

That's legit!  :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #468 on: August 21, 2023, 12:28:10 PM »
Last night's show in Boston was killer. It was a pretty similar show to when I saw them last opening for Deftones, but the crowd was much more into it this time since they were headlining. They blew Mastodon out of the water, in my opinion.

The setlist was very good, though nothing too surprising.