Author Topic: Early Christianity and the Roman Empire  (Read 2188 times)

Offline soundgarden

Early Christianity and the Roman Empire
« on: September 02, 2010, 02:04:40 PM »
This is something I heard mentioned earlier this week which I would like to get your guy's input.

Something along the lines of:

Isn't it ironic that after years of oppression by the Romans, that Christians eventually grew and become the new Roman Empire, utilizing the very technologies and infrastructures already established by the Romans.  With that, they continued the very aggressive attitude instilled by the Romans of spreading and influencing their ways to the rest of Europe and eventually the world.  The success of the Christian armies would not be possible if it weren't for the military genius of Roman military philosophies.  Does "Holy" in front of "Roman Empire" change anything?

Thoughts?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Early Christianity and the Roman Empire
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 02:29:12 PM »
I've never actually given much thought to the religious element.  I've often though that from a sociological standpoint, we are the new Romans,  and relative to our technological superiority, we're declining just as fast. 

I've often wondered if the Romans were in the same state of denial.  Americans can't fathom the prospect of the dieing empire.  I suspect the Romans were equally stunned. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 06:11:29 PM »
I've never actually given much thought to the religious element.  I've often though that from a sociological standpoint, we are the new Romans,  and relative to our technological superiority, we're declining just as fast. 

I've often wondered if the Romans were in the same state of denial.  Americans can't fathom the prospect of the dieing empire.  I suspect the Romans were equally stunned. 

This.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 06:02:40 AM »
Both Christianity and Islam were 'born' in Istanbul actually. Constantine took the empire from paganism to Christianity in his death bed and later the Ottoman Sultan decided to convert the empire to Islam in order to control the Arabs. So I blame Istanbul for all of today's problems  :biggrin:
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 09:31:43 AM »
I think, as much as Christianity started out as an underdog, rebellious religion, once it exceeded a certain popularity it became a victim of its own success. Clearly, by the time Constantine converted himself to Christianity, it was no longer prosecuted by any means. From there on Christianity (i.e. the Catholic Church) adjusted itself to allow for the power structures needed to fill the shoes it was put in by Constantine.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 10:05:05 AM »
I think, as much as Christianity started out as an underdog, rebellious religion, once it exceeded a certain popularity it became a victim of its own success. Clearly, by the time Constantine converted himself to Christianity, it was no longer prosecuted by any means. From there on Christianity (i.e. the Catholic Church) adjusted itself to allow for the power structures needed to fill the shoes it was put in by Constantine.

rumborak

Lot of truth there.  Sad, really.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 10:10:04 AM »

rumborak

well put, though sad