Author Topic: Score on Blu-ray?  (Read 19994 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Score on Blu-ray?
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 03:54:58 PM »
lol at this thread coming back.  I was reading and was like "I have a DT Blu Ray!" and then saw my own comment from 2010.   :rollin

I would love a blu ray of Score.  The sound is great, but the sound took away from the video quality to fit on a DVD.  A blu Ray would make this perfect.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 03:44:53 PM »
Jst trying to keep this threat alive, lets put some pressure on the guys as there is no reason we should not have this yet, unless it is some bullshit legal crap involving MP.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 04:17:41 PM »
Lets not. It'll happen when it happens. They probably don't want to release two DVDs around the same time, with Luna Park coming out. I bet Score comes on blu ray next year.

Also don't know what MP has to do with this, they released Budokan without any trouble. The band (MP included) don't control when the blu rays come out.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 07:47:02 PM »
Jst trying to keep this threat alive, lets put some pressure on the guys as there is no reason we should not have this yet, unless it is some bullshit legal crap involving MP.

Whoa, I hope that's a typo, dude. :lol

We're not that kind of community. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2013, 08:09:10 PM »
...Speak for yourself...

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2013, 01:07:31 AM »
Yeah. I want Score on Blu as well.
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2013, 08:00:17 AM »
I want it to but I don't recall any press releases or major news when budokan was released on Blu ray so it wouldn't surprise me if it got released sometime with little notice.

I also think score needs a Blu ray more so than budokan did because the picture in score is very poor compared to budokan and the brightness of radio city would make for a great hi def picture IMO.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2013, 08:06:42 AM »

I also think score needs a Blu ray more so than budokan did because the picture in score is very poor compared to budokan and the brightness of radio city would make for a great hi def picture IMO.
The picture does look really good in hidef.   ;D

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2013, 08:52:04 AM »

The picture does look really good in hidef.   ;D

Are you saying what I think you are saying?!  :biggrin:
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2013, 09:23:03 AM »
No. I worked on it originally. All I can say about this show is that Rhino has the rights to the back catalog, and Eagle Rock is the production company that would most likely put it out. As stated earlier, with Luna Park coming out soon don't expect it anytime soon.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2013, 09:36:52 AM »
No. I worked on it originally. All I can say about this show is that Rhino has the rights to the back catalog, and Eagle Rock is the production company that would most likely put it out. As stated earlier, with Luna Park coming out soon don't expect it anytime soon.

Darn :( Well, hopefully it will be a 2014 release.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline mioist

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2014, 07:03:39 AM »
Hello everyone,

I think Score definitely deserves a Blu-Ray release and if anyone here could ask the band members or the corresponding record company, we will at least get an answer. Better than having no answer at all, don't you think? I bought the Blu-Ray release of Live at Budokan on day 1 and would do the same for a prospective Score Blu. Until we get a firm update on the matter, I see no reason not to keep this thread alive. If anyone has any inside info on this, please share with everyone here as I am 100% sure that I am not the only one who would love to buy Score on Blu. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »
Hello everyone,

I think Score definitely deserves a Blu-Ray release and if anyone here could ask the band members or the corresponding record company, we will at least get an answer. Better than having no answer at all, don't you think? I bought the Blu-Ray release of Live at Budokan on day 1 and would do the same for a prospective Score Blu. Until we get a firm update on the matter, I see no reason not to keep this thread alive. If anyone has any inside info on this, please share with everyone here as I am 100% sure that I am not the only one who would love to buy Score on Blu.

You are not alone

Offline LTE3

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2014, 08:35:10 AM »
I'm sure the guys want Score on on Blu-Ray as much as we do at least I hope they would. Why can't this get done it seems insane. That show was the pinnacle of their career for that chapter and should be represented as such. At least a word from one of the guys or powers that be on why we have not seen it. Some information please! :facepalm: :angry:
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »
I agree. This is long overdue for a rerelease on BluRay.

In the words of Barney Stinson: "Just... okay?"
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2014, 03:32:25 PM »
I wonder if the fact that its a MP release is a reason it could be held up.  He would obviously receive royalties and maybe that is something the band does not want to bother with negotiating at this time?  Just a thought.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2014, 04:34:39 PM »
I wonder if the fact that its a MP release is a reason it could be held up.  He would obviously receive royalties and maybe that is something the band does not want to bother with negotiating at this time?  Just a thought.
I doubt it.

I would think it more likely that it hasn't happened because it hasn't occurred to them or that it doesn't appear to be worth it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2014, 04:46:36 PM »
I doubt it.

I would think it more likely that it hasn't happened because it hasn't occurred to them or that it doesn't appear to be worth it.

Yea I think its unlikely, but cant think of a legit reason for not doing it.  The Budokan blu-ray is great and Score would be much improved because the picture quality is so poor.  It would look fantastic. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »
I was watching the 5 Years DVD the other day and he hits an F#5 during the LTL segment, albeit at a different point since the initial F#5 section has been removed from the song.

I've said this a couple of times.  First time, Gwii disagreed with me and Hef backed up my statement (I think?).  Second time, Bosk disagreed and Hef backed it up again.  God bless that Hef man.

I don't think I would have disagreed with that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2014, 06:12:29 PM »
When Live in Tokyo and 5 Years in a Livetime were "re-released" on DVD, the guys went and recorded those extra commentary tracks for the DVD that weren't on the original VHS releases. Well, if the band felt like doing one for Score, I don't care how long it takes them to release a blu-ray, just record a commentary for it sometime, and re-release it one day and people will be very very happy.  :hat

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2014, 07:03:41 PM »
Yea, actually if they took some time and were able to make a commentary with MP, that would be really cool.  Without MP included, I give it a 0.1% chance of happening.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2014, 07:39:59 PM »
I love commentary tracks cuz they talk about the songs, the venue, the tour, etc and I hope they come back.

I don't buy the "it won't happen without Mike Portnoy" belief.  They didn't do one for Live at Budokan, probably cuz they just did one for Live Scenes from New York.  They didn't do one for SCORE even though you'd think that would have been a great time to talk about that show.  Same for Chaos in Motion.  I would say they probably didn't do them cuz they had documentaries but MP was there for these releases and we didn't get commentaries.

So, yeah, I know all the cool stuff MP did with DVD features, but there has to be reasons they aren't actively doing it right now but other than "we just did one", which they haven't, I don't see any good reasons to avoid commentaries.  They cost almost nothing to make, 3 hours in the studio and adding another audio track to the final product (maybe subtitles also), so that can't be anything other than a minor consideration.

I thought for sure they'd do one for Live at Luna Park cuz it was Mike Mangini's first album/tour and it's been 10 years, but they didn't.  Then I thought for sure they'd do one for Breaking the 4th Wall cuz it's MMs first 'real' album and tour and they have two albums/tours of music to talk about and it's been 12 years, but they didn't.  So who knows.  Someone needs to ask them at a meet and greet and report back.

It's a bummer that we'll probably never see any old stuff again, but in terms of current material I would think someone like Jordan Rudess would be all over it, but he also puts out a new iOS app every week so he's pretty busy, the guy is insane.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »
While it doesnt cost much to do a commentary track, it takes a lot from the guys I would think.  They have to talk and open up for 2 or 3 hours.  Thats pretty tough if you dont have a personality to spear head it.  I think they could do it as a band now, but it depends if they want to do it.  With respect to Score, it wouldnt make sense to do a commentary track now without MP since he was such a large part of the band at that point.

I think Bosk hinted that a commentary could be in the future.  And maybe after many years the guys feel like they have a lot they could talk about comfortably for a full length commentary.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2014, 08:25:22 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised by a re-release of Score on BluRay with no new extra features (hello Studio Albums Box Set, I'm talking to you!).

Not sure if Rhino currently has any rights to issue a BluRay release, so it is possible DT might have to wait for that term to expire or renegotiate it (assuming DT wants to stick with Rhino for a BluRay release).  Normally, these kind of term deals last for about 10 years or so.  I believe it was just a one-off deal between the band and label.  So there is more involved than "maybe they just haven't gotten around to it yet."  Of course, this is all just pure speculation, as if that never happens here.

In case it has not already been mentioned,  the band provided commentary for Live In Tokyo/5 Years DVD without Kevin Moore's involvement, so its possible the current lineup could comment on Score.  Personally, I think they've moved on from this occasion and would rather spend their energies looking ahead.  Just my intuition. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2014, 08:37:17 PM »
I believe MP went on record as stating that the commentaries stopped because he was the only one in the band that really wanted to do them.    IIRC, the last one they did, there were a few minor barbs thrown....I got the feeling that MP was wrestling them into something they just weren't interested in. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2014, 08:41:20 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised by a re-release of Score on BluRay with no new extra features (hello Studio Albums Box Set, I'm talking to you!).

Not sure if Rhino currently has any rights to issue a BluRay release, so it is possible DT might have to wait for that term to expire or renegotiate it (assuming DT wants to stick with Rhino for a BluRay release).  Normally, these kind of term deals last for about 10 years or so.  I believe it was just a one-off deal between the band and label.  So there is more involved than "maybe they just haven't gotten around to it yet."  Of course, this is all just pure speculation, as if that never happens here.

In case it has not already been mentioned,  the band provided commentary for Live In Tokyo/5 Years DVD without Kevin Moore's involvement, so its possible the current lineup could comment on Score.  Personally, I think they've moved on from this occasion and would rather spend their energies looking ahead.  Just my intuition.

Yea but KM's involvement in DT at the time of Live in Tokyo/5 Years is <= MP in DT at the time of Score.  That concert is too monumental from the band to not include MP if they were to do a commentary.

I never thought about the contracts, but RaiseTheKnife brought up a good point that maybe that could be the reason we haven't seen this yet. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2014, 08:46:52 PM »
But what I'm saying is that I really don't think the band would ever do a commentary because they only happened in the first place because MP dragged them into it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2014, 09:58:12 AM »
Yeah. I mean I can't see John Myung really wanting to do a commentary.

I remember they did do that online Live Chat when Luna Park was released which was really cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNrsD2JF6Q8&list=UUsJE0R5Wl6JNvg7xczVqVMg

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2014, 01:54:43 AM »
I was watching the 5 Years DVD the other day and he hits an F#5 during the LTL segment, albeit at a different point since the initial F#5 section has been removed from the song.

I've said this a couple of times.  First time, Gwii disagreed with me and Hef backed up my statement (I think?).  Second time, Bosk disagreed and Hef backed it up again.  God bless that Hef man.

I don't think I would have disagreed with that.

It was the first time I ever got into an argument with the boss(k), I remember.

Oh, I remember.

Offline PMA

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2018, 12:43:13 PM »
It's been quite a while since anyone commented on this and now we have Luna Park and Breaking the 4th Wall Blu Rays.  Does anyone know if Score might ever be updated to full HD and possibly an improved audio mix (5.1)?  I just watched both of the aforementioned Blu Rays and they are just awesome.  Breaking the 4th Wall in particular has a Dolby True HD audio mix that makes it sound like you are there.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2018, 05:58:52 AM »
I've been waiting for this since Budokan came out on Blu-ray. At this point, I've given up on it ever happening.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2018, 06:36:08 AM »
Don't hold your breath for it :P

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2018, 08:30:41 AM »
I'd say never say never, but there isn't much hope for this IMO.

That Budokan blu-ray came out of no where it seemed so who knows.  Score on blu-ray would improve upon the DVD much more than Budokan did.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2018, 08:29:52 PM »
I would kill for a Score Blu-Ray!! I really hope DT do this someday. Apparently they did author a Blu-Ray version, it was just never put out...
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2024, 08:09:58 AM »
BUMP!

Now that MP is back, do you guys think he will do something about this?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.