Author Topic: Score on Blu-ray?  (Read 20270 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: Score on Blu-ray?
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2024, 08:11:30 AM »
Isn't the Score 20th anniversary in two years? Seems like a great time for a Blu-Ray. :coolio
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2024, 08:17:08 AM »
BUMP!

Now that MP is back, do you guys think he will do something about this?

Hopefully that and a full length LSFNY as well!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2024, 08:25:23 AM »
BUMP!

No.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2024, 08:26:35 AM »
BUMP!

No.

Cheers.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2024, 08:26:51 AM »
 :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2024, 10:09:24 AM »
BUMP!

With physical media going the way of the Dodo, it's not likely, although it probably has a better chance than ever before. I know it was filmed in HD, so it would be easy to do. Perhaps they might release a 20th anniversary version of it in 2026, maybe even in conjunction with a deluxe issue of a 40th anniversary live release. And I could see MP convincing the other guys to do another audio commentary to reflect both upon that show, as well as the band's full history. But then again, as Ben said, it was like pulling teeth to get the other guys to do the past audio commentaries, so maybe not.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2024, 12:05:48 PM »
Weren't the tapes missing and that was the reason it couldn't be released in blu-ray? Didn't a big warehouse from Warner Bros burned down with tons of tapes (films, music, etc.)? Don't know if they are related but I recall something about the tapes though.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2024, 03:34:31 PM »
Weren't the tapes missing and that was the reason it couldn't be released in blu-ray? Didn't a big warehouse from Warner Bros burned down with tons of tapes (films, music, etc.)? Don't know if they are related but I recall something about the tapes though.
I don't think a reason was ever given for why it wasn't released, but I'm pretty confident the big warehouse fire had nothing to do with it. I know the guy who worked with MP in editing the whole thing, and I can't imagine that he wouldn't have copies of all those files archived somewhere.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2024, 11:37:03 AM »
I always thought it was funny Budokan got a blu-ray release, but it wasn't very much worth the upgrade.  Score really could use that upgrade.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2024, 02:35:09 PM »
I always thought it was funny Budokan got a blu-ray release, but it wasn't very much worth the upgrade. 

To me, it's an "upgrade" simply in the sense that it doesn't crash, freeze, or glitch when it gets to the layer change in the DVD.  I can't even watch that show anymore because the player we have aborts at that point in the show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2024, 02:48:27 PM »
The Budokan Blu-ray was definitely an upgrade in video and audio quality compared to the DVD. Whether one cares about it is another thing. You get lossless 5.1 DTS-HD MA format on the bluray which was pretty good mix IIRC. Plus a bump in video resolution certainly helps.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2024, 01:03:05 AM »
I did encounter some decent upscaled videos from Score on youtube, that already makes it a lot better.
I would think there will be some kind of re-release along the way since it’s arguably the peak of their career.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2024, 08:40:15 AM »
The Budokan Blu-ray was definitely an upgrade in video and audio quality compared to the DVD. Whether one cares about it is another thing. You get lossless 5.1 DTS-HD MA format on the bluray which was pretty good mix IIRC. Plus a bump in video resolution certainly helps.

It is, but it's not a game changer IMO.  The DVD is still good enough.  Especially compared to Score which really could use the video upgrade as it's pretty grainy on DVD.