Author Topic: Dir en grey  (Read 31378 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Dir en grey
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2013, 07:23:28 PM »
As much as I love Uroboros, I think I may actually prefer Dum Spiro Spero ever so slightly. Uroboros is some fucking amazing music, but Dum Spiro Spero has this unshakable darkness throughout the whole thing, and it doesn't really let you up for air until Vanitas. It's oppressively beautiful.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2013, 07:30:15 PM »
Dum Spiro Spero never really clicked with me like Uroboros did, for whatever reason. But I'm listening to it again now, and it's definitely another damn good album.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »
I've heard most of Dum Spiro Spero, but I'm waiting until I get the physical disc to form a solid opinion.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2013, 07:38:49 PM »
Dum Spiro Spero never really clicked with me like Uroboros did, for whatever reason. But I'm listening to it again now, and it's definitely another damn good album.
It's a massive grower, for sure. The opening two tracks used to turn me off completely, but now I enjoy them as mood setters. Regardless, Different Sense is the best song ever made.

Just for funsies, song rankings

1. Different Sense
2. Diabolos
3. Vanitas
4. Lotus
5. Ruten no Tou
6. Yokuso ni Dreambox
7. Juuyoku
8. Decayed Crow
9. Akatsuki
10. Shititaru Morou
11. The Blossoming Beelzebub
12. Amon
13. Hageshisa To, Kono Mune no Naka de Karamitsuita Shakunetsu no Yami (fucking memorized that shit)
14. Kyokotsu no Nari
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2013, 07:46:47 PM »
Yeah I definitely don't know the album well enough to do a full ranking, or even memorize all of the song names for that matter :lol

But Diabolos, Vanitas and Lotus definitely stand out for me too. Different Sense is also good, but I think I would rank it below these, probably, maybe, I don't know.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2013, 09:30:39 PM »
Uroborus is the tits. Dum Spiro Spero is definitely the one I'll check out next.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2013, 02:01:56 AM »
I don't know how I would rank the album song to song, but The Blossoming Beelzebub is easily my favorite. Might even be my favorite Dir En Grey song overall.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »
I don't know how I would rank the album song to song, but The Blossoming Beelzebub is easily my favorite. Might even be my favorite Dir En Grey song overall.
I was actually trying to find you the other day to ask you what it is that you like about it so much. :lol I mean, it's good stuff and everything, but there's hardly anything in it that screams Dir En Grey to me. There's really nothing else like it in their entire discog.

Uroborus is the tits. Dum Spiro Spero is definitely the one I'll check out next.
Good decision. Dir En Grey hasn't released the same album twice, but Dum Spiro Spero is certainly the closest in style to Uroboros. The new EP would be good too most likely.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2013, 02:08:52 PM »
Isn't the new EP mostly old music and live tracks?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »
I was actually trying to find you the other day to ask you what it is that you like about it so much. :lol I mean, it's good stuff and everything, but there's hardly anything in it that screams Dir En Grey to me. There's really nothing else like it in their entire discog.

I just really love how the song keeps building and has all these moments where Kyo seems like he's gonna explode and go off the rails vocal-wise, but still sort of contains it. It's a pretty atmospheric song and while some might say it "meanders on" without reaching a climax, as an opener (not counting the intro) I love it, and when it finally leads into Different Sense, that's the payoff, when the album really kicks into high gear.

Also, there's a scream by Kyo towards the end of Beelzebub which just sends shivers down my spine. So epic.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
So does anyone else listen to their earlier stuff? It's totally different from their more recent output, but I really love Gauze, and the EP Missa.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2013, 10:08:54 PM »

I just really love how the song keeps building and has all these moments where Kyo seems like he's gonna explode and go off the rails vocal-wise, but still sort of contains it. It's a pretty atmospheric song and while some might say it "meanders on" without reaching a climax, as an opener (not counting the intro) I love it, and when it finally leads into Different Sense, that's the payoff, when the album really kicks into high gear.

Also, there's a scream by Kyo towards the end of Beelzebub which just sends shivers down my spine. So epic.
Yeah I pretty much feel the same about it. Awesome song.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2013, 10:22:22 PM »

Yeah, how much of the EP is new content?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2013, 11:11:41 PM »

Yeah, I definitely get that. I know exactly what scream you're talking about too. Definitely the highlight of the song. Kyo's just phenomenal as a whole.

So does anyone else listen to their earlier stuff? It's totally different from their more recent output, but I really love Gauze, and the EP Missa.
Ding ding. I've got all the studio albums (No Missa or Six Ugly I'm afraid), and I like them all to varying degrees. My album ranking would go somewhat like this:

1. Dum Spiro Spero
2. Uroboros
3. Gauze
4. The Marrow of a Bone
5. Macabre
6. Withering to Death
7. Kisou
8. Vulgar (No idea why, but I really haven't been able to get into this one as easily as the others)

But yeah, I definitely like most everything they've put out. A lot of the pre-Uroboros material has a fair amount of filler on it (with the exception of Gauze which is flawless from start to finish), but it's still some great stuff. I've been dying to talk to people about this band, so I'm excited the thread's finally gaining some steam.

Yeah, how much of the EP is new content?
The EP has one new track, 6 re-recordings of older songs in their new style (so, drastically different). One could quite easily enjoy them on their own, I would think. The bonus disc also comes with a 16 minute re-recording of Macabre, which is one of the most epic songs they've ever done. Seriously, it's ridiculous. I think most people are in agreement that the best way to experience Dir en Grey's discography is to start with Uroboros, DSS, and maybe Unraveling, and then go backwards from there. The early stuff really is frightfully different from their current output, but it's still great.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2013, 11:24:18 PM »
Hmm, I'll try to get The Unraveling, then, if there's a fair amount of new (or reinterpreted) material. I also listened to some of Withering To Death, and really enjoyed it. Sometime when my internet isn't so terrible I'll check out their early stuff. :metal

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2013, 02:53:27 PM »
(with the exception of Gauze which is flawless from start to finish)

You got that right! I remember Cage was the first Dir En Grey song I heard, back when I was like 12 or 13, and I was absolutely addicted to it, that is the catchiest damn song ever :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2013, 10:51:59 PM »
Yeah, Cage is lovely. I'm also very fond of Yurameki and Yokan for sharing a similarly catchy experience. I love the heavier, more experimental stuff too though. Hell, I even love Schwein no Isu. :p

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2014, 12:52:01 PM »
Bumping since I bought Dum Spiro Spero.

I already had Marrow of the Bone, and although it has a few really good songs, I didn't really get into it.  DSS, on the other hand, is good all the way through.  Dark, sometimes chaotic.

The only problem isn't with the album per se, but with the lack of Japanese lyrics in the booklet.  It's nice to have the translations, but I would've liked the Japanese lyrics also  :P
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2014, 01:44:32 PM »
I would recommend getting Uroboros next.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2014, 03:43:12 PM »
Yeah get Uroboros immediately. That album fucking slays.

Also a new single came out recently and it's pretty damn good.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2014, 02:59:02 PM »
Here's the single for those who have been missing out. Sounds a bit like a mix between the groovier Vulgar/Withering style and the more epic sweeping Lotus-y stuff they've been doing lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GQDfmlDLck

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2014, 11:56:23 PM »
Just listened to Uroboros for the first time a few days ago and really enjoyed it! The version I listened to is the remastered and expanded version BTW.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2014, 07:43:47 AM »
I really, really don't like that version at all.  :lol People complained about the drums sounding over-compressed on the original, but I feel like everything about Uroboros contributes to how amazing it is, and all those little quirks they removed from the remaster pretty much killed it for me.

Also, the Hydra remake and the intro to Bugaboo completely demolishes the flow of the album (and Sa Bir is way way way too long).

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2014, 11:27:18 AM »
I agree that the original version has better flow. Sound-wise, I don't really have a strong opinion, I got the remastered version, so that's the one I'm used to. From what I've heard, the remaster sounds a lot cleaner overall, though the guitars sound a lot brighter and less muddy in the original.

Oh, and I got Dum Spiro Spero recently. It was definitely more of a grower, but it's awesome.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2014, 12:21:21 PM »
Hmm...might get the original version at some point. I actually like the track listing and bonus DVD on the American version actually, but listened to the remastered just because I thought it was the better sounding one out of the other versions. Just got done watching their Wacken 2007 performance and I thought it was funny how the crowd was standing still not knowing how to react or respond at the end of every song :lol

Judging by most of you here, I'm gonna give Dum Spiro Spero a spin next.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2014, 03:41:24 PM »
Dum Spiro Spero is fucking incredible. As others have said, it's a big grower, and the opening of Blossoming Beelzebub can be off-putting. Thankfully, the song that immediately follows is the best song the band has ever recorded.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2014, 03:55:58 PM »
The Blossoming Beelzebub is fantastic.

Different Sense is good, but it just barely misses being in my top five favorite songs on the album (Which would probably be TBB, Dreambox, Lotus, Diabolos, and Vanitas, in no particular order)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2014, 04:16:05 PM »
Ware, Yami Tote... remains my favorite.

Although, Uroboros is the only album I own.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2014, 05:34:03 PM »
The Blossoming Beelzebub is easily one of their best imo. I would say it's one of the standout songs on Dum Spiro Spero, not just because of quality, but because of the structure and how it sounds. Most of the songs are shorter, fast paced and straight up metal, and TBB is a very different kind of beast.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »
New album in November.  :metal

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2014, 02:04:28 PM »

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2014, 05:18:48 PM »
So no news at all pretty much about the new album still but the good news is that every day gets closer to November. What do you guys think about this new release they will do next week in the meantime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a84yDvozuM
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »
I was not really into Dum Spiro Spero, and I would say they were trending downward since Withering if not for Uroboros.

So just hoping for another Uroboros rather than Marrow/DSS :lol

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2014, 05:59:57 PM »
I adore pretty much everything they've done. I'm still getting used to Kisou and Vulgar, but I can't say they have a single song that I outright dislike. Dum Spiro Spero is a masterclass of extreme metal vocals.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2014, 06:05:34 PM »
Withering to Death was the newest album when I first got into Dir en grey, so I'm coming at all of it with a slightly different perspective from most. :lol Back then Vulgar was the heaviest thing they had done so it should be pretty clear why Marrow was so shocking. On top of that, some of the songs on the album were not the same as the single versions we got, in particular Clever Sleazoid which is practically a different song from the one in the music video. Ryoujoku no Ame also got changed but I still think it's the best song on that album.

Sorta surprising to see you ranked Hageshisa To, Kono Mune no blah blah so low on DSS, it's probably my favorite on there. Maybe I need to give it a couple more spins :lol

...my name is Araragi.