Author Topic: Dir en grey  (Read 31750 times)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Dir en grey
« Reply #245 on: December 13, 2014, 02:59:21 PM »
I'm not sure what to think of this album yet. A lot of the songs blend together and hardly any of them stick out as being particularly memorable. There's also a ton of power-ballad sounding tracks... I suppose the album has a bit more variety than DSS but it's nowhere close to Uroboros.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #246 on: December 13, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »
I'm not sure what to think of this album yet. A lot of the songs blend together and hardly any of them stick out as being particularly memorable.
See, I had the same opinion about literally every Dir en grey album I've ever listened to (so, all of them), and they all ended up growing immensely. It takes a great number of listens to really pick out the riffs, melodies, and monstrous screams. It usually turns out that the reason the songs seem to blend together is because all their albums have ludicrously good flow.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #247 on: December 13, 2014, 06:45:15 PM »
I agree. They have a really good idea of how an album should flow, and I don't know many other bands who play in the same league as Dir En Grey when it comes to that. They know exactly when the album needs a "rocker" and when it's time for a breather with a ballad. Even a mostly heavy album like Dum Spiro Spero has such an amazing structure, and the "breathers" on that album, although few in numbers, are spread out to form a really nice flow.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #248 on: December 13, 2014, 07:51:55 PM »
A bit unrelated to the album, but I'm in love with the album artwork. It's possibly my favorite one yet, particularly the 2CD version. Actually I got a free poster with my copy of the limited 2CD/BluRay edition and it's the full un-cropped artwork of the 2CD version which I've got framed and currently hanging in my room.  :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #249 on: December 14, 2014, 01:50:24 AM »
A bit unrelated to the album, but I'm in love with the album artwork. It's possibly my favorite one yet, particularly the 2CD version. Actually I got a free poster with my copy of the limited 2CD/BluRay edition and it's the full un-cropped artwork of the 2CD version which I've got framed and currently hanging in my room.  :metal

Totally agreed. The artwork might be their best, and the 2CD version cover is just amazing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: December 14, 2014, 08:46:08 PM »
Yeah, this album gets sexier every time I listen to it. I find myself enjoying the ballads a lot more on this album than on previous ones. Tousei kind of reminds me of Glass Skin except a billion times better, and Kokoku no Kyouon is utterly soul-crushing.

Actually, I don't know what I'm talking about. Lotus and Vanitas are two of my favorites from DSS so maybe I just like their ballads in general.  :justjen
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #251 on: December 14, 2014, 09:22:51 PM »
Tousei kind of reminds me of Glass Skin

That's exactly what I was thinking!  :omg: Tousei's almost as if Glass Skin went a bit more heavier and more guitar driven. Too early for me to say if it's better than Glass Skin, but it's definitely one of my favorites on Arche.

I think I'm on my 5th listen (currently on Chain Repulsion at the moment) and yeah it's clicking with me even more. Maybe it isn't their most cohesive album, but I'd argue that it's their most dynamic/layered album for lack of a better term.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #252 on: December 14, 2014, 09:31:47 PM »
Yeah, Tousei's got some serious Glass Skin vibes, especially at the end.

I kinda wish the album ended a bit better. I get that they wanted to end on a heavy note, but I just don't think the last two songs are all that great quality-wise. I think if they replaced those two songs with a single, better and more climactic-sounding song the album would be a bit better.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #253 on: December 14, 2014, 10:42:24 PM »
To be honest, if Kukoku no Kyoun was the final song on the album, I would've thought that Arche ended on a very high note. I like The Inferno and Revelation of Mankind it's just that I wouldn't consider them climatic-sounding/closer tracks. I dunno...perhaps if and Zero and Tefu Tefu were on the main disc and opened and closed the album respectively, maybe it would've started and finished a tad better.

I think the only constructive criticism I have about Arche is that it's not their best effort at making a cohesive album, and to be honest I thought Uroboros was their magnum opus in that respect.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #254 on: December 14, 2014, 11:12:08 PM »
Only slightly-related, but can I just say that Inconvenient Ideal is a fucking amazing album closer? So damn epic.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: December 15, 2014, 08:55:27 AM »
To be honest, if Kukoku no Kyoun was the final song on the album, I would've thought that Arche ended on a very high note. I like The Inferno and Revelation of Mankind it's just that I wouldn't consider them climatic-sounding/closer tracks. I dunno...perhaps if and Zero and Tefu Tefu were on the main disc and opened and closed the album respectively, maybe it would've started and finished a tad better.

I think the only constructive criticism I have about Arche is that it's not their best effort at making a cohesive album, and to be honest I thought Uroboros was their magnum opus in that respect.
I agree with that, I think. They've actually always been really good at album closers, and I still think Revelation of Mankind does the trick, but Inferno does seem a little bit....I dunno, shoehorned? I can totally tell they were trying to recapture the magic of the Vanitas/Ruten no Tou combo from the last album, but Revelation is a bit more crushing and in your face than Ruten No Tou or Inconvenient Ideal.

I still think the album flows incredibly well overall, but Uroboros and DSS are fucking SEAMLESS. It's insane.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #256 on: December 15, 2014, 12:15:46 PM »
With Arche coming out, I've obviously been on a Dir En Grey binge the past few days.
GAWT FEKKIN DANGUT Vinushka's explosions of anger and energy are the fucking best.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #257 on: December 15, 2014, 01:01:26 PM »
GAWT FEKKIN DANGUT Vinushka's explosions of anger and energy are the fucking best.
Vinushka's probably one of my all time favorite DEG songs ever! Probably their most progressive song literally IMO. Uroboros is still my favorite DEG album even after going back and listening to their other 8 studio albums (including Arche) but maybe I'm a bit sentimental in my judgement since it was the first album of theirs I listened to (well it was the Remastered and Expanded edition I started off with).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:55:07 PM by PolarizeMe »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #258 on: December 17, 2014, 12:46:21 PM »
So yeah, this album's grown on me a ton. It was difficult to get much from it the first few listens due to how many songs there are and how similar-sounding some of them seem at first, but now with repeated listens I've realized there's a lot of awesome stuff on here. I still probably enjoy DSS and Uroborus more, but that's not saying much.

Surprisingly, I think my favorite song on the album might be Kaishun. It didn't stick out at all at first, but damn... that song is just beautiful. Dat chorus.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: December 18, 2014, 08:05:21 AM »
Yeah, Kaisuhn just blew right by me the first 10 listens or so, now it's easily one of my favorites.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #260 on: December 19, 2014, 01:05:39 PM »
I just hope Dir En Grey make at least 2 more albums after this one(if not more than that) cause I can never get tired of Kyo's vocals.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: December 20, 2014, 08:04:12 PM »
Yep, Kyo is not going to be dethroned as my favorite singer for a very long time, I think. The things he does with his voice...good lord.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #262 on: December 20, 2014, 09:33:47 PM »
It would make my year if they tour in America next year. Dir En Grey is the last band besides Tool and maybe if Isis reunite that it is absolutely mandatory that I see live. Once that happens, I've pretty much seen every band I've wanted to see live at least once.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: December 21, 2014, 08:58:32 AM »
I'd say there's a very strong possibility that they will tour America at some point on this album cycle. However far I have to drive, I'll do it. Missing them last time was soul-crushing.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #264 on: March 28, 2015, 07:31:16 PM »
Bumping this thread just to share this if anyone hasn't seen it yet. IIRC, they did a 15th anniversary tour for Gauze and they filmed the final show of the tour for a DVD/BluRay release. Unfortunately, it's a Japanese fan-club only release (unless you want to spend hundreds for it on eBay or something) but some people have shared bits of it on YouTube. It's amazing, even with the DEG of today they can still pull off the Gauze songs live in their original arrangements.

Yokan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzoW3nfanNc

Yurameki:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGuH5ggOM7Y

As for Arche, it still holds up extraordinarily well for me nearly 4 months after its release. It's a grower for sure. Still love Uroboros and Dum Spiro Spero more but I can say for sure that it'd be in my top 3 favorite DEG albums of all time followed by Withering to death. and Gauze rounding up my top 5 but that's not saying much.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: March 29, 2015, 08:06:52 AM »
Yokan is such an awesome song. Never knew Die played the solo, though. Interesting. Kaoru's guitar is fucking sexy as all sex.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #266 on: March 30, 2015, 05:39:22 PM »
Yokan's definitely one of my all time favorite DEG songs, if not my favorite of their early days. Gauze grew on me quite a lot, kind of like Arche did. Had somewhat of a difficult time with it but by the 3rd listen it was beginning to click with me entirely. Probably the one of the first three albums for me personally that's flawless from start to finish.

On a live related note, here's our first glimpse of the Arche songs live from a recent MTV Japan special:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Zz7h8iweA

That performance of Tousei...my goodness. :hefdaddy

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #267 on: July 16, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
Bumping this thread since it's now been confirmed that the band is touring North America in November. Super short tour it seems like due to their ties with The End Records are no more. It's possible this tour is an attempt to attract a new record American deal. Here are the dates:

TOUR15 NEVER FREE FROM THE AWAKENING
11/02 The Showbox : Seattle, WA USA
11/04 Slim’s : San Francisco, CA USA
11/05 The Mayan : Los Angeles, CA USA
11/09 Bottom Lounge : Chicago, IL USA
11/11 Gramercy Theatre : New York, NY USA
11/13 The Opera House : Toronto, ON CANADA

Japan Live 2015
11/07 Plaza Condesa : Mexico City MEXICO

Incidentally, I secured VIP tickets for the NYC show the day they were offered (I believe all shows sold out of the VIP) I've heard shit stories about the meet and greets/photo ops with the band but hey they way I look at it is that I live only once so I might as well try once you know. Anyway, I'm super pumped that I finally get to see them for the first time since becoming a fan!  :metal

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: July 28, 2015, 07:07:58 PM »
I really want to go to the Chicago show. Dying to see them live.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #269 on: July 29, 2015, 01:55:48 AM »
Sweet, Opera House is usually pretty cheap.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #270 on: July 29, 2015, 08:47:12 AM »
And apparently Die has a new side band called DECAYS in which he's the guitars/co-vocalist.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #271 on: August 19, 2015, 11:41:55 PM »
So what do you guys think about Die's new band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o60LU9J0QsY
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #272 on: August 26, 2015, 10:06:05 PM »
Well for what it is, I liked it...but it felt...I dunno, a lot more to be desired? It's just a single song, but I think I'll need to hear more songs from Die's band to really form an opinion.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #273 on: September 26, 2018, 05:41:48 AM »
New album, The Insulated World, dropped today.

Tracklist:

1. 軽蔑と始まり (Keibetsu to Hajimari)
2. Devote My Life
3. 人間を被る (Ningen wo Kaburu)
4. Celebrate Empty Howls
5. 詩踏み (Utafumi)
6. Rubbish Heap
7. 赫 (Aka)
8. Values of Madness
9. Downfall
10. Followers
11. 谿壑の欲 (Keigaku no Yoku)
12. 絶縁体 (Zetsuentai)
13. Ranunculus

I will certainly be checking this out a little later on  :metal

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #274 on: October 24, 2018, 08:50:09 PM »
...soooooo did anyone listen to this? :P

After sitting on it for a while, I think it's pretty good. Like with Arche, my first few listens weren't too positive, but it ended up growing on me a lot. Still, I'd probably say it's the weakest of their Uroboros-to-present era. A lot of the album is pretty unmemorable and blends together - I think some longer songs and stronger choruses would have helped. There's still enough highlights though and it's definitely worth your time if you like their other albums. Favorite songs would probably be the opener, Celebrate Empty Howls and the last two tracks.

Good luck getting a copy without spending a shit ton of money though... the only method I found for digitally purchasing it was on iTunes for sixteen bucks. I don't even wanna think about what you'll need to pay for a physical copy if you're not in Japan. It seems like after Dum Spiro Spero they just stopped caring about worldwide accessibility.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: October 25, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »
I listened to it. Not as good as the last 3 albums but I still enjoyed it overall. I think biggest issue is the production/mix, it just sounds pretty bad compared to their last few, and I think song-wise there's not those standouts I've come to expect from them. But still like a solid 7.5/10 album or so.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #276 on: November 30, 2018, 10:26:15 AM »
I kinda want to go back on my previous comment and say upon revisiting it (after leaving it for a few weeks) it's actually grown on me quite a bit. I think vocally Kyo delivers just as good as ever and the fact that it's a slightly heavier album than Arche gives him more chances to shine with his range. I would change what I said and I would say it's on par with the last 3, though If I had to pick personal favorites I would still probably put Arche or Dum Spiro Spero as my favorite DEG album at the moment.

Still, I kinda like that about music. You can revisit albums that maybe didn't have big impact but then discover things to love. I actually think it's a pretty great album. I think what the 3 previous albums offer, perhaps a tiny bit more is slightly more variety in the songs. This one is a bit shorter, the songs are a bit more "focused" and from the first track it just hits you hard and keeps going. I also think Zetsuentai is pretty great as a DEG "epic".

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #277 on: June 07, 2022, 02:44:07 PM »
Anyone else checking out the new album next week?

I follow the Dir en Grey reddit and apparently they added some stuff back onto Spotify that hadn't been on there for a long time? Anyway, that's enough of an excuse for me to binge through a load of their music that I've not listened to, or am only vaguely familiar with  :metal

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #278 on: June 07, 2022, 03:59:09 PM »
Anyone else checking out the new album next week?

Me!

If it follows the pattern of the previous two releases I'll be indifferent to it at first and then it'll grow on me and I'll like it. :P

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #279 on: June 07, 2022, 04:07:52 PM »
I've had a look at my last.fm and I listened to The Insulated World twice apparently, but I couldn't tell you anything about it.

My favourites are easily Uroboros and Dum Spiro Spero. Currently spinning ARCHE, which is another album I'm not too familiar with, and it's pretty good.

They are not the easiest band to get into but they are definitely unlike anything else I listen to. I'd love to see them live tbh, they strike me as the sort of band who you'd appreciate WAYYYY more after a live show.