Author Topic: Dir en grey  (Read 31462 times)

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
Re: Dir en grey
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2014, 02:41:24 PM »
Well I thankfully got turned back into Dir En Grey earlier this year in my song roulette even though I had heard of them years before but never checked them out but this time it clicked and since then have been listening to them consistently. So it'll be a good way to top it off this year to have a new album be released by them.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »
Any info on whether Arche will be distributed in the US? I don't mind ordering directly from Japan, but it'll save me a few bucks if they have an American release.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2014, 05:55:02 PM »
No but it'll be released a day before, the same day, or just a day after since they have another label handled their releases here in the US I believe.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2014, 06:40:24 PM »
The End Records handled the American releases for Uroboros and Dum Spiro Spero. They haven't mentioned anything about handling the release of Arche yet. I suppose they're keeping quiet about it until the track listing is revealed. I heard conflicting stories regarding if they're still on the label by fans on their Facebook, which is why I asked if anyone knows if it'll be released in the US.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2014, 07:47:40 PM »
The End has had a LOT of stories from artists who signed with them that they got royally dicked over (I say a lot but I really only know what they did to Sigh, which was absolutely ridiculous). I kind of hope for their sake they moved on.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2014, 07:52:48 PM »
Oh well I haven't kept up with their label news just that they're still with Firewall and unless Dir En Grey is with Sony Music now, it either has to be still The End Records handling that or somebody else. I doubt it'll be released here moths later or so than in Japan though or even weeks. If not the same day, just a couple of days difference. But I'm just talking out of my ass now since I have no idea how they work that stuff out but, hope I'm somewhat right and it'll be released around the same day by whichever label they are with now.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2014, 08:08:18 PM »
I'm under the impression that Dir En Grey's fanbase in America has grown with every subsequent album since Withering To Death, so I'd be surprised if it doesn't get released in America. I've seen pre-orders for the Japanese release but they don't show a track listing as of yet. As I said before, hopefully we'll get any info on an American release once the track list is revealed.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2014, 08:40:09 PM »
There's probably Japan pre-orders already because of course besides it being Japan, they also have their fan club over there which they do lots of releases and special things for so I would say its mostly for that because new album info is still really scarce besides the usual hyping from the band members. They actually have played 2 new songs in their tour they did last month, Mode of Gauze, but I haven't been able to find any video of them playing it. Just descriptions from people who went to the shows.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2014, 06:38:50 AM »
Yeah, I've been trying to find any info on the new songs they played, but I can't find anything at all. What were they described as?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2014, 11:28:21 AM »
Yeah sure so the first new song they played and the one they played on most nights was described like this by someone who went to a couple of those shows: "New song starts off with a atmospheric short intro with acoustic guitar, then goes into a complex and pretty rapid exchange between heavy tremolo picking reminiscient of black metal mixed with some punk-esque stuff and some short phases of more DSS sounds and also sections that sounds quite Gauze-y with clean guitars. Has a decently short guitar solo. There's no harsh vocals at all in the song. It's roughly three minutes long.

First impression is that they tried to squeeze a little too much stuff into a too short timeframe, but I'm sure it'll grow on me during the tour, the guitarwork is some of the best they've done so far, I like how its more riffing (BM style) than chugging.

Also, I just realized but the fast riffing parts could be compared a bit to the tremolo sections of the kiri to mayu remake, perhaps."

Someone else said about the song: "the new song had some piano according to Japanese netizens (apparently) - and it "felt more like Die's song than Kaoru's"

Then when the first guy saw them again and heard the song again: "The new song is also developing a bit, the drum pattern has gotten slightly more elaborate since the first show. Will be interesting to follow if more will happen."

There was less comments about new song 2 but there were some from the same guy which first he said: "I'll post a more detailed description of the new song as soon as possible, but its chaotic and has a ton of changes, even moreso than the previous new song... From a first impression, I wasn't as impressed by this one."

And someone else added a bit more: "it will be a lot more chaotic and aggressive than the first new song + will showcase Kyo's various vocal characteristics - and some people even compared the build to what was in Sukekiyo's Vandal."

Someone else popped in saying about one of the new songs: "As for the new song, well one of em, a buddy of mine (who's attending the three shows) described it as totally different from Sustain the Untruth. Has a pretty boss solo from Kaoru. And its "midtempo rock with quiet areas." It also has a breakdown as well."

I also managed to find one other person write something about one of the new songs but I had to translate from Japanese so its pretty bad but here it is, "New song that seems to be going into the new released in December has also been unveiled, but it is a good impression to quite a heavy tune utilizing the various expressions of vocal and lead the drum characteristic."

So yeah, take for what you will from some people who went to see them this last tour and heard the new songs. It has me really excited to see these people have to use lots of ways to describe the songs seeing as they probably will be different in some ways to anything else they've written before.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2014, 03:53:49 PM »
Well, Dir en grey has a penchant for writing some curveballs, so I'm stoked for what ARCHE has to offer.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2014, 05:14:21 PM »
Yup me too especially if Kyo is going to be doing all sorts of vocal stuff on the album like in one of the new songs cause the vocals on DSS were just some of the best in the business.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2014, 10:21:29 AM »
I've said this a million times but here it is again. Different Sense is the greatest song ever written and Dum Spiro Spero is basically a clinic on extreme metal vocals.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2014, 10:31:38 AM »
I don't think Different Sense is in my personal top5 Dir En Grey songs, but I agree about everything you said. Kyo is one of the best vocalists out there without a doubt, and Different Sense really showcases his ability in the best possible ways.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2014, 05:47:02 PM »
Yeah I don't have Different Sense near my top 5 but that song for sure is littered with many crazy and badass vocals. Every single release pretty much for the past 10-15 years has Kyo sounding in a different way or adding something new so I damn sure this new album will keep that going.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
Different Sense isn't even in my top 5 for Dum Spiro Spero.
It's still a great song though.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2014, 06:00:56 PM »
Different Sense isn't even in my top 5 for Dum Spiro Spero.
It's still a great song though.

Hear, hear.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2014, 06:21:21 PM »
My go-to song for crazy Kyo vocals is actually Decayed Crow. He goes from the deep guttural growl to high pitched shrieks, and then some really chaotic screaming and weird noises after that. The song itself is fairly simple and straight forward, but by having one of the best vocalists in metal (if not THE best) really makes it something special.

I think Kyo and Patton are on another level. What makes me consider Kyo a slightly better metal vocalist is because I feel Patton's register works almost better in bands that go all over the place, and not so much metal, like Mr. Bungle for example, which has heavy moments but for the most part is calmer. Kyo was created to sing in a metalband, even if he's good at the more ballady songs too.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2014, 06:41:54 PM »
That is a good example of what he can do and another one that I think shows it on DSS is 'Yokusō ni Dreambox' Aruiwa Seijuku no Rinen to Tsumetai Ame with it starting off in his normal vocals with some really high-pitches vocals in the background and once the chorus kicks and all hell breaks loose, he just does so many different things its awesome. I do think he's the best metal vocalist and has been expanding his range since DSS with songs like Rinkaku and Sustain the Untruth.

Even live he still sounds awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyvIVC4vU3c

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »
Yeah so track-listing was posted today and the different editions that will come out and here it is with all Discs put in.

Disc one   
No.   Title   Length   
1.   "Un deux"     
2.   "Soshaku" (咀嚼; "Mastication")   
3.   "Uroko" (鱗; "Fish Scales")   
4.   "Phenomenon"     
5.   "Cause of fickleness"     
6.   "Tōsei" (濤声; "Voice of Waves")   
7.   "Rinkaku" (輪郭; "Silhouette")   
8.   "Chain repulsion"     
9.   "Midwife"     
10.   "Magayasō" (禍夜想; "Evil Night Thought")   
11.   "Kaishun" (懐春; "Yearning Of Youth")   
12.   "Behind a vacant image"     
13.   "Sustain the untruth"     
14.   "Kūkoku no Kyōon" (空谷の跫音; "Lonely Sound of Footsteps")   
15.   "The inferno"     
16.   "Revelation of mankind"     
Disc two   
No.   Title   Length   
1.   "and Zero" (Instrumental Track)   
2.   "Tefutefu" (てふてふ; "Butterfly")   
3.   "SUSTAIN THE UNTRUTH"     
4.   "Unraveling" (Remix Version)   
5.   "TBA"     
6.   "TBA"     
7.   "TBA"     
Disc three   
No.   Title   Length   
1.   "Un deux" (Shot in one take)   
2.   "Chain repulsion" (Shot in one take)   
3.   "Live footage from TOUR14 PSYCHONNECT -mode of”GAUZE”?"     
4.   "Bonus material" 

The Sustain the Untruth version on disc 2 should be an unplugged/symphonic version of the song.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2014, 06:00:50 PM »
Rinkaku and Sustain the Untruth are on there? That's what I was hoping for.
I wonder if they'll be much different from the singles.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2014, 06:05:07 PM »
At first I was sorta put off that 2 previously songs are on the new album but then I thought about how much I like those songs and knowing there's a chance they might be somewhat different, I got excited. I doubt Sustain the Untruth will be different on the main disc of the album since on disc 2 there will be another version of the song. 

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2014, 06:20:21 PM »
Fuck yeah to all of this. Love Sustain the Untruth, but I haven't listened to Rinkaku very much. Think I'll probably keep it that way until the album drops.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2014, 06:21:45 PM »
Yeah don't cause while a good and unique Dir en grey song, still quite some time till the album comes out and it always sucks when a song already gets old by the time the album comes out.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2014, 06:24:16 PM »
Definitely. Sustain the Untruth hasn't gotten old yet, but I don't plan on listening to it again until the album comes out as well. Only 2 months away now!

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #165 on: September 26, 2014, 06:42:11 PM »
OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! I can't contain my excitement at the moment!  :metal
I wonder if the version of Sustain The Untruth on the main album is different than the one on the second disc. Perhaps the one on the second disc is the single version as it's all in caps?

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #166 on: September 26, 2014, 07:34:28 PM »
I wonder if the version of Sustain The Untruth on the main album is different than the one on the second disc. Perhaps the one on the second disc is the single version as it's all in caps?

Like I posted beneath all the tracks, "The Sustain the Untruth version on disc 2 should be an unplugged/symphonic version of the song." According to some translated sentences that I read and if I'm understanding it correctly.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #167 on: September 26, 2014, 08:45:47 PM »

Like I posted beneath all the tracks, "The Sustain the Untruth version on disc 2 should be an unplugged/symphonic version of the song." According to some translated sentences that I read and if I'm understanding it correctly.

Whoops, I guess I skipped over that part!  :facepalm:

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2014, 12:01:47 AM »
No problems. I probably should have posted it around the beginning of my post or mentioned it next to the title of the song. Also, has there ever been a reason as to why some of their song titles are all caps and others aren't?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2014, 07:34:26 AM »
No problems. I probably should have posted it around the beginning of my post or mentioned it next to the title of the song. Also, has there ever been a reason as to why some of their song titles are all caps and others aren't?
I don't think so. I always change them anyway because the all-caps is irritating.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2014, 09:58:09 AM »
I don't think so. I always change them anyway because the all-caps is irritating.
When I imported my CD of Uroboros on iTunes, the Japanese titled tracks were in kanji (later changed them into romaji) but the English titled ones were in all caps. I dunno, I don't mind the all-caps song titles at all wether they were intentional or not.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2014, 02:47:06 PM »
I'm fairly sure they're intentional, considering they often name their albums and tours in all-caps English as well.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2014, 11:43:43 PM »
At first it really did bother me but nowadays I've gotten used to it and don't mind it anymore but its interesting how some songs in English are either all caps, or all lower case like some on Withering to Death. Then there are some just normally written. Maybe its just something that they tried to do to make their stuff look more unique or something. Who knows.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #173 on: September 28, 2014, 07:21:14 AM »
In Japanese it's pretty conventional to write English words in all caps.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: September 28, 2014, 09:12:33 AM »
In Japanese it's pretty conventional to write English words in all caps.
That's extremely fascinating. Care to extrapolate on that?