Author Topic: Who cares about the children?  (Read 24031 times)

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
Re: Who cares about the children?
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2010, 07:30:17 PM »
K glad to see you're taking this seriously.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2010, 07:31:05 PM »
No, Icy. I'm taking you seriously.

;)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2010, 07:31:49 PM »
Because they post in this thread and ask the cutest little questions?

:rollin
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2010, 07:32:37 PM »
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2010, 02:52:12 PM »
Parents have no time for kids today. That's why they're the way they are. Children are fragile humans and they are our future as a race. We want them to change what we have done wrong.

Some of you sound cynical about kids but you won't know until you have one yourself. It's a human experience that one must do in order to understand. They're a lot of responsibility, if you don't find yourself responsible don't have kids. That's what parents should be teaching their young teens about.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2010, 08:55:28 AM »
Edit double post

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2010, 08:56:59 AM »
I agree with you to an extent El Barto. If you were to tell me of the deaths two complete strangers one in his 80's and one whom is 1 year old, I will probably feel more for the 1 year old. I would feel more for the baby, here are my reasons. They are on equal ground as far as deeds for this world. The old may have done great things; the young may grow to do great things. This also is on par with the bad that has been done or could have been done. So this is not a factor in my thought/feeling process, as far as I'm concerned they cancel each other out. What is the contributing factor is that the elder has already experienced a fairly long life; the baby has not yet had the chance. To me they young and old are equal, but clearly the old has something the young does not and that is the experience of life.

It's very much like the old saying goes "It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all". In order for me to make a different decision I would have to no more about the two people. For instance Christopher Hitchens is ill with cancer, if you were to tell me that he died and the very same day one of his kids died, I would feel more for him. To my knowledge his children have not contributed anywhere near what he has to the world.

I also completely understand what you are saying as well. Babies are basically a blank slate and the old have shaped society to a degree. Although I don't hold your position I can understand it and appreciate the logic behind it.

[rant]
Are children overvalued? Yes and no. There is no higher price to be paid then the loss of our children, I don't mean that in life only. People seem to overvalue the child's innocence far too much. You see it everywhere; parents coddling their child when it falls (and doesn't hurt itself in the slightest), parents being too protective ie germs, T.V, music and language etc.. And as mentioned before this bullshit propaganda that everything must be fair, everyone is a winner, this mentality is ruining society.

All this kind of crap does is breed ignorance and makes people sue or have laws passed because they are offended.

People need to stop having everyone else raise their children. If T.V is too violent or sexual turn the channel and teach to them about right and wrong, about sexuality. Teach them to think for themselves, teach them there is a time and place for all emotions, disagreements and most all have them question everything that they don't understand. Far too often I see a child ask a question and the parent either dismisses it or acts like it is a stupid question, instead of encouraging the child to ask more they are put in their "place".

Another thing that pisses me off is seeing a child that is incredibly obese. There is hardly an excuse other than bad parenting; genetics will play a small role.
[/rant]

EDIT: This discussion may have paralells to some on religion.  In a discussion about the "value", for lack of a better word, of religion in ones life, or society as a whole, it will be unlikely that two sides can come to a real consensus.  The two sides being an atheist, and a christian who has had a revelation from god.  The later has had a life changing experience that has altered the way they see the world.
Same with being a parent.  

This type of thinking is so full of bull. The only change in opinion on children I have ever heard of is that of the opinion toward ones own child. It is typically they hadn't realized how much they would love the child or how much it has changed there priorities. Don't pull the "you'll find out when you have kids" garbage it's different for everyone.

As for the religious gibberish of your post. Any Atheist that I have met that ever wrestled with the notion of god(s) has once realizing that there isn't one has come away a less distrought person, myself included. It was a life changing experience to realize that I didn't have to watch who I am and ask forgiveness for being human. You have no idea how good it feel to realize there is no celestial dictator watch my every move and threatening me with eternal torture.

Well like I thought, saying children are over valued is just an opinion you have.  Just like my opinion that sexually abusing a child is just as egregious an act against another human being as murder.  I really feel they are on the same level of awfulness.  To me, it's the two worst things you can do to another person.  And it's not just child abuse.  I think rape is right there too.  So opinions.

So opinions? Rape should never be put on par with murder, what a stupid thing to say. Yes rape is disgustingly terrible, it changes a person, it can be very detrimental to that person. Though where rape and murder differ is you can move on from rape, you cannot move on from death. Being murdered means your life is over, done. There is no moving on, there is no counseling, there is no having a good time afterward... You are DEAD... Even if there is an afterlife, you are still robbing a person of their life here on earth. Don't equate rape and murder, that’s just nonsense.

Offline j

« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2010, 09:19:50 AM »
I agree with you to an extent El Barto. If you were to tell me of the deaths two complete strangers one in his 80's and one whom is 1 year old, I will probably feel more for the 1 year old. I would feel more for the baby, here are my reasons. They are on equal ground as far as deeds for this world. The old may have done great things; the young may grow to do great things. This also is on par with the bad that has been done or could have been done. So this is not a factor in my thought/feeling process, as far as I'm concerned they cancel each other out. What is the contributing factor is that the elder has already experienced a fairly long life; the baby has not yet had the chance. To me they young and old are equal, but clearly the old has something the young does not and that is the experience of life.

It's very much like the old saying goes "It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all". In order for me to make a different decision I would have to no more about the two people. For instance Christopher Hitchens is ill with cancer, if you were to tell me that he died and the very same day one of his kids died, I would feel more for him. To my knowledge his children have not contributed anywhere near what he has to the world.

I guess if you're just talking about "feelings" there's not really an issue.  But anything beyond that and you're getting close to dangerous philosophical territory, making judgments on the value of one life vs. another.

I do agree with your initial point though, that *in general*, the chance to experience life is the one truly discernible difference between young and old, and it is worth considering.

I also completely understand what you are saying as well. Babies are basically a blank slate and the old have shaped society to a degree. Although I don't hold your position I can understand it and appreciate the logic behind it.

[rant]
Are children overvalued? Yes and no. There is no higher price to be paid then the loss of our children, I don't mean that in life only. People seem to overvalue the child's innocence far too much. You see it everywhere; parents coddling their child when it falls (and doesn't hurt itself in the slightest), parents being too protective ie germs, T.V, music and language etc.. And as mentioned before this bullshit propaganda that everything must be fair, everyone is a winner, this mentality is ruining society.

All this kind of crap does is breed ignorance and makes people sue or have laws passed because they are offended.

People need to stop having everyone else raise their children. If T.V is too violent or sexual turn the channel and teach to them about right and wrong, about sexuality. Teach them to think for themselves, teach them there is a time and place for all emotions, disagreements and most all have them question everything that they don't understand. Far too often I see a child ask a question and the parent either dismisses it or acts like it is a stupid question, instead of encouraging the child to ask more they are put in their "place".

Another thing that pisses me off is seeing a child that is incredibly obese. There is hardly an excuse other than bad parenting; genetics will play a small role.
[/rant]

Agreed for the most part.  I have no children so I'm sure the old "you just don't understand how difficult it is to be a parent" may very well apply, but I maintain that parental ineptitude is one of society's biggest problems.

Well like I thought, saying children are over valued is just an opinion you have.  Just like my opinion that sexually abusing a child is just as egregious an act against another human being as murder.  I really feel they are on the same level of awfulness.  To me, it's the two worst things you can do to another person.  And it's not just child abuse.  I think rape is right there too.  So opinions.

So opinions? Rape should never be put on par with murder, what a stupid thing to say. Yes rape is disgustingly terrible, it changes a person, it can be very detrimental to that person. Though where rape and murder differ is you can move on from rape, you cannot move on from death. Being murdered means your life is over, done. There is no moving on, there is no counseling, there is no having a good time afterward... You are DEAD... Even if there is an afterlife, you are still robbing a person of their life here on earth. Don't equate rape and murder, that’s just nonsense.

While I agree with your conclusion, I'd point out that in some cases, the rape (or whatever) victim *is* robbed of their life in a sense.  Some people never recover, live in misery, or even kill themselves as a result.  Still, they obviously can't be equated, I just didn't want to totally downplay the fact that a person CAN have their life effectively "taken" from them in ways other than outright murder.

-J

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2010, 09:21:56 AM »
El JoNNo.  I don't have kids and value I them highly.  I'll qoute you here,

"People need to stop having everyone else raise their children. If T.V is too violent or sexual turn the channel and teach to them about right and wrong, about sexuality. Teach them to think for themselves, teach them there is a time and place for all emotions, disagreements and most all have them question everything that they don't understand. Far too often I see a child ask a question and the parent either dismisses it or acts like it is a stupid question, instead of encouraging the child to ask more they are put in their place".

I do agree with everything here but I do have to say certain programing for channels in the morning should be for the children.  Society in America is a little uptight about sex on TV but I don't have a problem with them not running it durring the day but at night.  Past 8pm should be grown up content on TV and it is up to the parent to be a parent. I think thought that America allows after 10pm? where Europe is 8pm?  Help me out DFT Europe.  

All in all is is up to the parents but there should be a few guidlings about programing.  Hell, with a the technology today a perent can block any channels if the have a cable box.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2010, 09:27:32 AM »
El JoNNo.  I don't have kids and value I them highly.  I'll qoute you here,

"People need to stop having everyone else raise their children. If T.V is too violent or sexual turn the channel and teach to them about right and wrong, about sexuality. Teach them to think for themselves, teach them there is a time and place for all emotions, disagreements and most all have them question everything that they don't understand. Far too often I see a child ask a question and the parent either dismisses it or acts like it is a stupid question, instead of encouraging the child to ask more they are put in their place".

I do agree with everything here but I do have to say certain programing for channels in the morning should be for the children.  Society in America is a little uptight about sex on TV but I don't have a problem with them not running it durring the day but at night.  Past 8pm should be grown up content on TV and it is up to the parent to be a parent. I think thought that America allows after 10pm? where Europe is 8pm?  Help me out DFT Europe.  

All in all is is up to the parents but there should be a few guidlings about programing.  Hell, with a the technology today a perent can block any channels if the have a cable box.

I agree I am not advocating that T.V become a cesspool of vulgarity. I'm just really tired of hearing so many people blame their inability to parent on T.V and videogames.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2010, 09:41:59 AM »
I'm just really tired of hearing so many people blame their inability to parent on T.V and videogames.
I would think that we can all agree on this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2010, 10:18:38 AM »
I'm just really tired of hearing so many people blame their inability to parent on T.V and videogames.

Yes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2010, 01:08:44 PM »

Alas, I hold a different view.
Quote from: The Professor
Sadder still to watch it die
Than never to have known it
For you, the blind who once could see
The bell tolls for thee...

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2010, 01:44:34 PM »
EDIT: This discussion may have paralells to some on religion.  In a discussion about the "value", for lack of a better word, of religion in ones life, or society as a whole, it will be unlikely that two sides can come to a real consensus.  The two sides being an atheist, and a christian who has had a revelation from god.  The later has had a life changing experience that has altered the way they see the world.

This type of thinking is so full of bull. The only change in opinion on children I have ever heard of is that of the opinion toward ones own child. It is typically they hadn't realized how much they would love the child or how much it has changed there priorities. Don't pull the "you'll find out when you have kids" garbage it's different for everyone.

As for the religious gibberish of your post. Any Atheist that I have met that ever wrestled with the notion of god(s) has once realizing that there isn't one has come away a less distrought person, myself included. It was a life changing experience to realize that I didn't have to watch who I am and ask forgiveness for being human. You have no idea how good it feel to realize there is no celestial dictator watch my every move and threatening me with eternal torture.

Well, just FYI, having a child can change your views on children, and it can change your views on children in general.  But you seem not to have children, and you have never heard of such a thing happening….so I guess you must be right, and it is just a bunch of “bull”.  I guess my own experience, and every other parent I know having the same experience means nothing…. I guess you know better.
And I guess you completely missed the point of the post in regards to religion.  My point was that there are certain things in life that can change you drastically, and unless they are experienced, it is difficult to have a true meeting of the minds on that particular subject.   
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:49:47 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2010, 08:24:07 AM »

Well, just FYI, having a child can change your views on children, and it can change your views on children in general.  But you seem not to have children, and you have never heard of such a thing happening….so I guess you must be right, and it is just a bunch of “bull”.  I guess my own experience, and every other parent I know having the same experience means nothing…. I guess you know better.

Well part of that is my poor phrasing; as it was not meant to be all "I have ever heard of". Not really sure why I phrased it that way, as I have heard of differing opinions. I contradict myself in the third sentence of that paragraph where I say "it's different for everyone.". My point was you cannot claim for certainty that having kids will change anything at all about a person's views. The whole you don't understand because you don't have kids arguement is nonsense. 

And I guess you completely missed the point of the post in regards to religion.  My point was that there are certain things in life that can change you drastically, and unless they are experienced, it is difficult to have a true meeting of the minds on that particular subject.   

Then say that and don't use bad analogies. I addressed your point and then I went own to the analogy you used. You compared Atheism with not having children and being Christian with having children, not good comparison at all. I agree having a child is life changing, it changes alot. I take issue with saying the difference between an Atheist and a Christian is the Christian has had a life changing experience.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2010, 08:32:50 AM »
Well, I get his meaning El.  For people who find god, it's changes their life dramaticly just like having a child does.  What you do with those life changing moments is what defines you.  To each his/her own.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2010, 09:15:24 AM »
Well part of that is my poor phrasing; as it was not meant to be all "I have ever heard of". Not really sure why I phrased it that way, as I have heard of differing opinions. I contradict myself in the third sentence of that paragraph where I say "it's different for everyone.". My point was you cannot claim for certainty that having kids will change anything at all about a person's views. The whole you don't understand because you don't have kids arguement is nonsense.  

Then say that and don't use bad analogies. I addressed your point and then I went own to the analogy you used. You compared Atheism with not having children and being Christian with having children, not good comparison at all. I agree having a child is life changing, it changes alot. I take issue with saying the difference between an Atheist and a Christian is the Christian has had a life changing experience.

I never claimed with certainty that having kids will change anything about a persons views....just that it did for me, and every single person I know.  But there might be one person out there who doesnt change one tiny bit after having kids.....
And if you havent had children, you cant understand what it is like to have children.  In an abstract way, maybe you can, but the viscaral and emotional component isnt going to be there.    That isnt an arguement, it is fact.  Unless you experience it, you cant know.  Wether or not it affects you, or how it affects you, is dependent on the individual.  The comparison to religion was on that point only.
King obviously understood my points.  
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2010, 06:56:27 AM »
I'm just really tired of hearing so many people blame TV and video games for their lack of initiative and flat out lazy, self-centered inability to be a proper parent and role model.

Yes.

I'll agree, albeit with the above edit.