Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 443719 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2
« Reply #840 on: May 22, 2011, 09:26:41 AM »
Conditioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBeZTsQrMm0

Fuck, I want this album  :metal
Hm... I think this is worse than anything on RS1 actually (and I dislike that one quite a lot). Oh well, it's not like I didn't expect this or anything. Hopefully there is a tuneo r two that sounds more like Sisters.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #841 on: May 22, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »
You do realize that you are judging this song based on a rough radio recording, don't you? 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #842 on: May 22, 2011, 09:51:20 AM »
You do realize that you are judging this song based on a rough radio recording, don't you? 
A live performance as well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #843 on: May 22, 2011, 10:35:24 AM »
It's not like a better sounding recording of this will change my mind. I got into DT through a roughed up cassette tape of Awake so sound quality doesn't really matter that much if you don't like what you hear initially. Just like when I loved TPE (the song) when I first heard it. A 128kbps mp3.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #844 on: May 22, 2011, 10:45:02 AM »
It's not the sound quality I'm talking about.  I'm talking about the fact that this is a different recording, in a different setting, with possibly different parts.  A live recording is often a completely different animal from that of a studio song.  That's my only point.  I wasn't talking about sound quality. 

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #845 on: May 22, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »
Oh, ok, then I should say that I really don't like this version of the song. at all :D The sooner they get rid of the crappy 70s sound, the better. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #846 on: May 22, 2011, 10:56:04 AM »
Oh, ok, then I should say that I really don't like this version of the song. at all :D The sooner they get rid of the crappy 70s sound, the better. Of course, this is just my opinion.
I agree with this man

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #847 on: May 22, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
I think the problem with the 70's sound is that they risk sounding less unique and more like generic bands from the 70's, and this last song really put them past that point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #848 on: May 22, 2011, 11:18:16 AM »
Do you really think they will stay with the 70s sound?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #849 on: May 22, 2011, 11:20:03 AM »
They haven't really stuck with any sound for more than a couple of albums, so I can't imagine they'd stick with it after RS2. I'm glad we're getting another album of it though, I think they do it really well but RS1 is pretty short so I'm happy to be getting more!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #850 on: May 22, 2011, 11:20:44 AM »
I'd be in favor of 2 separate paradigm shifts after the 70s thing is no longer interesting to Daniel.

1. Go back to the stuff that made POS awesome, the progressive metal of TPE and RL.

2. Try a new, all-mellow approach, like Devin Townsend's Ki. I think that could sound really cool.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online Adami

« Reply #851 on: May 22, 2011, 11:20:57 AM »

Oh of course not. But that doesn't mean I have to like it while they're doing it. I liked many parts of RS1, but usually just the songs that didn't have that 70's sound, like Sisters, of Dust, Under The Stars, Road Salt, and a few of the 70's sounding songs like Innocence and What She Means to Me. But most of the others I can listen to and enjoy, but don't really care much for.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #852 on: May 22, 2011, 11:21:42 AM »
Whatever they end up doing, I just want them to release more often. I hate it when good bands that takes a long time to release material.

Online Adami

« Reply #853 on: May 22, 2011, 11:22:08 AM »
I'd be in favor of 2 separate paradigm shifts after the 70s thing is no longer interesting to Daniel.

1. Go back to the stuff that made POS awesome, the progressive metal of TPE and RL.

2. Try a new, all-mellow approach, like Devin Townsend's Ki. I think that could sound really cool.

I'd love a mellow approach.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #854 on: May 22, 2011, 11:23:23 AM »
I honestly love RS1, but I'm thirsty for a new direction. It's been about a year since it came out, and we were supposed to get both at the same time.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #855 on: May 22, 2011, 11:23:40 AM »

I'd love a mellow approach.
Yeah that would be great, I really love 12:5. Something like that, but a studio album of new material, could be so amazing!

I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #856 on: May 22, 2011, 11:25:04 AM »
Speaking of RS2, is there any kind of release date yet? Or is Daniel still trying to make it more "raw" sounding?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #857 on: May 22, 2011, 11:25:29 AM »
They haven't really stuck with any sound for more than a couple of albums, so I can't imagine they'd stick with it after RS2. I'm glad we're getting another album of it though, I think they do it really well but RS1 is pretty short so I'm happy to be getting more!
Witchcraft do it a lot better, imo. Just putting it out there, not that I hate all 70s sounding music (maybe just the one made in the 70s because it sounds horriblem, much worse than that live recording of PoS :d).

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #858 on: May 22, 2011, 11:47:01 AM »

I don't think Daniel will do this.  At least, not in the same way of those two albums.  They've already put out lots of prog metal and I would much rather see them continue trying new sounds. 

A mellow approach would be cool. 

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #859 on: May 22, 2011, 01:50:43 PM »

I don't think Daniel will do this.  At least, not in the same way of those two albums.  They've already put out lots of prog metal and I would much rather see them continue trying new sounds. 

This.

Although I really dig the 70's sound. I think RS2 will be even better than the first.

I've always found it strange people want to hear the same stuff all the time. Good bands adapt.

RL is my favourite album of all time, but I don't want another RL. I want another PoS. Big difference.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #860 on: May 22, 2011, 01:52:11 PM »

This.

Although I really dig the 70's sound. I think RS2 will be even better than the first.

I've always found it strange people want to hear the same stuff all the time. Good bands adapt.

RL is my favourite album of all time, but I don't want another RL. I want another PoS. Big difference.
The problem isn't wanting to hear the same thing all the time, it's just that their idea of doing something different is sounding incredibly generic. I don't want PoS to sound generic.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #861 on: May 22, 2011, 01:53:42 PM »
I'd like to hear another album that sounds like RS1, Scarsick or Be.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #862 on: May 22, 2011, 01:59:23 PM »
The problem isn't wanting to hear the same thing all the time, it's just that their idea of doing something different is sounding incredibly generic. I don't want PoS to sound generic.

I think that the last 3 albums have been the furthest things from generic that they've done.  All of the albums following Remedy Lane are albums I can't really compare to any other bands.  Before, they were amazing prog metal albums, but they definitely had peers as far as a similar sound. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #863 on: May 22, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »

I think that the last 3 albums have been the furthest things from generic that they've done.  All of the albums following Remedy Lane are albums I can't really compare to any other bands.  Before, they were amazing prog metal albums, but they definitely had peers as far as a similar sound. 
That was referring to the new song.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: May 22, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »
I saw Conditioned live (twice even :D), it was FUCKING AWESOME.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #865 on: May 22, 2011, 08:51:58 PM »
Out of everything post Scarsick, I still enjoy 'Gone' more than all the other songs they've released on Road Salt and the EP.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: May 22, 2011, 08:55:19 PM »
I think the problem with the 70's sound is that they risk sounding less unique and more like generic bands from the 70's, and this last song really put them past that point.

This, x1000. The thing is, I would love this stuff, if I hadn't already heard it and wasn't already in love with actual 60-70s hard rock.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #867 on: May 22, 2011, 09:00:48 PM »
PoS going all electro would awesome.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #868 on: May 22, 2011, 09:56:03 PM »
I find it ironic how prog fans tend to not like when a band does something different.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: May 22, 2011, 09:58:41 PM »
I find it ironic how prog fans tend to not like when a band does something different.

I like different. Just not when "different" means ripping off music from 40-50 years ago.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #870 on: May 22, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »
Um...what?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #871 on: May 22, 2011, 10:20:58 PM »
PoS with RS1 and Symphony X with PL are some examples I've noticed. I quite enjoy Road Salt 1 even Sleeping Under The Starts. Scarsick is also great probably among their best, its energetic and fun sounding.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #872 on: May 22, 2011, 10:23:27 PM »
Most of the complaints I heard is that they found it begins sounding like generic alt metal. I disagree, but I'm not a big fan.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #873 on: May 23, 2011, 01:43:20 AM »
People use the word "generic" far too much as a get out clause when really they just mean they don't like it very much.

Sure the production style on RS1 hearkens back to the 70s, but honestly I'd like to find another album that really sounds like it, because I love it and I want more. But I've never heard one.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #874 on: May 23, 2011, 01:53:22 AM »
^ +1