Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 443989 times)

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2
« Reply #700 on: March 31, 2011, 05:14:52 PM »
Scarsick=PE1=RL>RSO>OHBtCL=Entropia>>>>>>>BE
Terrible opinions.

Bant.
:clap:
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #701 on: March 31, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »
Yeah, but I got to him first. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #702 on: March 31, 2011, 05:19:31 PM »
DAMMIT NICK!

Been a while since we've had a mod-to-mod ban. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #703 on: March 31, 2011, 05:35:30 PM »
 :rollin

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #704 on: March 31, 2011, 08:11:34 PM »
I just bought Scarsick to try and get into PoS, is this considered one of their better albums? I haven't listened to it yet btw :)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #705 on: March 31, 2011, 08:16:17 PM »
I just bought Scarsick to try and get into PoS, is this considered one of their better albums? I haven't listened to it yet btw :)

Well it's my personal absolute favorite but a lot of fans hate it for some reason. 

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #706 on: March 31, 2011, 08:57:53 PM »

I like it a lot, but it's definitely not a good place to start imo, and won't really give you a good idea of who they are. If you like it, great, if not, don't write them off, and check out Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: April 01, 2011, 05:21:06 AM »
Scarsick is my favourite album by them too, but it was my first and really helped me through some tricky times, so it's stuck with me.  I'm totally open to people regarding it as one of their weaker albums though.  It just tickled me in the right spot.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #708 on: April 01, 2011, 05:32:03 AM »
Ok thanks guys, I'll give it a listen when I can find the time.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: April 01, 2011, 05:38:22 AM »
Ok thanks guys, I'll give it a listen when I can find the time.

Give it a go, but you must also try The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane, these are way more essential than Scarsick.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #710 on: April 01, 2011, 05:54:45 AM »
Ok, well if I see them tomorrow when I go to the store, I'll buy them and listen to them first.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #711 on: April 02, 2011, 06:34:30 PM »
I'm listening to Entropia. Amazing stuff. After RS2, I'm really hoping for some more metal from Daniel. He does it really well.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #712 on: April 12, 2011, 06:01:40 AM »
Is RS2 scheduled for a release this year?
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: April 12, 2011, 06:04:22 AM »
Is RS2 scheduled for a release this year?

I think Daniel said just recently Sep/Oct this year, but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #714 on: April 18, 2011, 10:39:45 AM »
Bumped because many of you may find this interesting. 

https://www.doscafesyunamesa.com/wp/?p=3685

Head of the national project Zap comic, screenwriter Emilio Santos Baraçal is developing a comic book based on the work of the progressive metal band Pain of Salvation - and with full knowledge and approval of Gildenlöw Daniel, leader of the group.

The work, which won the title of "Entropia" is not directly inspired by the disk of the same name. "To do justice to an album I would have to rely on his help in preparing the story to make it the most accurate and how busy he is, would not guarantee that I could work on it with him. Not to make a artistic crime, I chose another path, "explains the author. The path to which he refers was to create an original story in which the protagonist, Daniel Carter, is a rockstar based Gildenlöw 100%, both visually and in personality. And his band, Zeitgest, is the version of Baraçal for Pain of Salvation. "It was sheer coincidence their physical, psychological, are very similar to what I was looking for. So I decided to use it instead as inspiration. And when you use it, I decided to use the entire band," he says.

In the story, Daniel owns a remarkable temperament, being guided by an almost utopian ideology of a better world. Everything changes when the musician is arrested for a crime he did not commit, so he has to prove his innocence. His world turns upside down. Interestingly, in the jail he finds a mysterious book. And it is this book that will make a difference, determining whether or not he can prove it was not the perpetrator.

Who is a fan of the group will find tons of references in the story, since Baraçal even uses some songs from Pain of Salvation as if they were songs from Zeitgeist. "I made a selection covering the whole discography" the PoS 'and created an album of its own. Daniel tried to authorize the use of music and lyrics and since then he has been thrilled to see how it goes all the work and has given full support possible, what hit me, moved me very much, "he confesses.

With art designer Felipe Watanabe, the first four pages are already available through the web. Fan of comics, Daniel himself Gildenlöw saw the arts and said: "I'm much cooler in the comics than in real life, but I can not wait to see the work done." Planned to have between 120 and 140 pages, the comic book "Entropia" has not forecast to be ready, but should be posted here shortly. Negotiations with potential publishers (Brazilian and foreign) should begin soon.

This is google translate's job, so it's a bit sloppy, but the point is there is going to be a comic based on Pain of Salvation called Entropia.  (It doesn't follow the story of the album, just for clarification.)

Sounds fucking cool!

(sample pages included in link)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #715 on: April 18, 2011, 10:53:09 AM »
I can't say that sounds like a good idea. The last thing Daniel needs is more of an ego boost.

I'd rather the new album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #716 on: April 18, 2011, 10:57:18 AM »

Me too, but it's nothing but a separate project and certainly won't get in the way of the new record.

Plus, I like the two-tone art. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: April 18, 2011, 04:00:55 PM »
POS comic book? WTF?   :lol  Of course Daniel would approve it, another ego boost.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: April 18, 2011, 04:01:28 PM »
I can't say that sounds like a good idea. The last thing Daniel needs is more of an ego boost.

Missed your post Adami......all of this.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #719 on: April 18, 2011, 04:17:49 PM »
I don't see how the ego boost should be a big factor.  It's just a cool artistic project, really.  Not petting Daniel's ego. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: April 18, 2011, 04:23:51 PM »
I don't see how the ego boost should be a big factor.  It's just a cool artistic project, really.  Not petting Daniel's ego. 

Someone want to make Daniel a comic book character and you don't think that would feed his ego?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #721 on: April 21, 2011, 03:44:18 PM »
Bumped to say I've been listening to tPE all day today. :metal Big mood for it right now. Although I still can't get the title track to click for me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: April 21, 2011, 03:50:37 PM »
Bumped to say I've been listening to tPE all day today. :metal Big mood for it right now. Although I still can't get the title track to click for me.

The title track was the song that took me the longest to get into.  I only really discovered it's beauty not too long ago, keep listening, it will grow on you.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #723 on: April 21, 2011, 07:18:14 PM »
Yeahh I can understand. The first two minutes are amazing I find. Amazing amazing buildup, but unfortunately at 2:19 it goes to waste. 2:19 is like one of my least favourite moments in all music. :lol

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #724 on: April 21, 2011, 09:26:06 PM »
Remedy would be my first choice for someone new to POS. But "Be" is in my top 3 albums ever.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: April 21, 2011, 09:53:37 PM »
it was "Falling" and the title track of TPE that got me into POS years and years ago. for a while, it was the only material of theirs i listened to!

Offline guenhwyvarmky

« Reply #726 on: April 23, 2011, 02:51:47 PM »
In regards to TPE1, this is the one album that emotionally affected me above all others.  It was the right confluence of musical style(s), intensity, subject matter, and structure that was exactly what I needed to hear at that point in my life.  I even bought the Japanese import at almost twice the price because it was released a few days earlier, and the cd store I went to had a huge import section.  It was definitely a huge and cathartic help through some serious depression.  Only Learning to Live comes to close to affecting me in the same way.

That being said, listening to it now about ten years later - there are some flaws.  I still love it, but the title track goes on about a verse too long before heading into the two softer, middle sections.  I have a similar issue with King of Loss.  It almost feels as if DG had more lyrics than the song structure could contain, and chose to over-inflate the songs in a couple of places rather than edit the lyrics.

As far as DG's ego, he certainly does seem to hold a rather high opinion of himself (based on the interviews I've read).  I was fortunate enough to have a bit of an email exchange with him after OHbtCL was released.  They weren't very big at that point as their fan base grew significantly with TPE1, and it was pretty damn easy to find his address and email him.  For the duration of that exchange he was extremely pleasant and polite, even going so far as to ask my suggestions for a set list.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #727 on: April 23, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »
i mostly think the album's pretty perfect as is... the only thing i'd probably change is the ending of idioglossia, which needs about 4 or 8 bars chopped.

Online Adami

« Reply #728 on: April 23, 2011, 07:55:15 PM »
i mostly think the album's pretty perfect as is...

I completely agree.

the only thing i'd probably change is the ending of idioglossia, which needs about 4 or 8 bars chopped.

I completely disagree. That song is the epitome of perfection, no wrong notes and it's the perfect length. Of course I think the album is flawless and Idioglossia is my favorite song ever.

:)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #729 on: April 23, 2011, 08:14:56 PM »
im gonna spin idioglossia shortly to see how much that section irks me.

EDIT: it irks me this much *holds hands about 3 feet apart*

just get rid of 7:48-8:20, and insert the "it all comes back to you" over the bit right before the newly deleted section, and you got a perfect song, daniel.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:45:39 PM by pain of occupation »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #730 on: April 23, 2011, 08:58:59 PM »
I always felt Idioglossia was one of the weakest tracks on TPE, honestly.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online Adami

« Reply #731 on: April 23, 2011, 09:01:20 PM »
I always felt Idioglossia was one of the weakest tracks on TPE, honestly.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #732 on: April 23, 2011, 09:02:54 PM »
I'd have to agree. I think it's my least favorite of the longer tracks. Despite having plenty of mindblowing sections (like the rest of the songs do), it just doesn't flow as well in my opinion. But TPE is a top ten album for me, and I still love the song :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: April 23, 2011, 09:03:54 PM »
1. There is no 'weakest track' on TPE.

2.  :rollin

Online Adami

« Reply #734 on: April 23, 2011, 09:10:27 PM »
Let's change the subject and stop ripping on my favorite song please? :)

Let's diss something else like Spitfall or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com