Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)

Started by ariich, August 23, 2010, 05:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LieLowTheWantedMan

I've never got the fuss about The Perfect Element (song). It seems it keeps building in tension only to go into something completely average every time.

mizzl

Quote from: LieLowTheWantedMan on February 20, 2011, 09:27:31 PM
I've never got the fuss about The Perfect Element (song). It seems it keeps building in tension only to go into something completely average every time.
Yep. The chorus sucks.

ariich

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

wolfking

My appreciation for The Perfect Element (song) has grown lately.  At first it was one of the weakest on the album, but lately it's really clicking with me, amazing buildup and tension and IMO, the chorus works really well, not the most effective when contrasted with the verses but magical nevertheless.

NecessaryPain

Quote from: wolfking on February 21, 2011, 02:11:12 AM
My appreciation for The Perfect Element (song) has grown lately.  At first it was one of the weakest on the album, but lately it's really clicking with me, amazing buildup and tension and IMO, the chorus works really well, not the most effective when contrasted with the verses but magical nevertheless.

It's always been a Top 5 for me.

Sometimes even #1.

Agrapha

Quote from: dtismajesty on February 20, 2011, 04:39:40 PM
I wonder if Daniel had some sort of disagreement with the tuba player, and therefore made every effort to not show him at all.  The guy only visible once, and barely so in a quick wide shot.  Also, lots of closer shots are given to people who are very close to him as far as the stage position.  I didn't even know he was there until the fifth viewing.  There must be a reason.  Possibly even a conspiracy. 

I could swear this was addressed in the commentary somewhere, but it's been a couple of years now. I think maybe it was just the way they had the cameras arranged.

Also, The Perfect Element's chorus was a little underwhelming on the first few listens, for me at least. It's my second favourite PoS song now.

ClairvoyantCat

Something about the chorus in the Perfect Element just bugs me immensely.  Overall, the song feels like 4 amazing separate songs glued together in a way that doesn't fit.  It lacks the focus of, say, Enter Rain.

Since we're doing all of this Perfect Element judging...

1.  Dedication
2.  King of Loss
3.  Idioglossia
4.  In the Flesh
5.  Her Voices (this is mostly top 2 material, but something about that "Never forgive" part just doesn't do it for me. 
6.  Morning on Earth
7.  The Perfect Element
8.  Reconciliation
9.  Ashes
10.  Used (though it makes for an awesome live song, I often find myself starting the album with In the Flesh instead. 

TheVoxyn

AwakeFromOctavarium

Woo, TPE ranking. Should be interesting.

1. Falling/The Perfect Element
2. Idioglossia
3. Song for the Innocent
4. In the Flesh
5. Ashes
6. Morning on Earth
7. Used
8. Dedication
9. King of Loss
10. Reconciliation
11. Her Voices

ClairvoyantCat

Quote from: AwakeFromOctavarium on February 21, 2011, 07:51:43 AM
8. Dedication
9. King of Loss
10. Her Voices

>:(   ...I don't even...

Quote from: TheVoxyn on February 21, 2011, 07:48:21 AM
whatwhatWHAAT? Used is awesome.

I don't like how it sounds in the studio.  And I never cared for the chorus at all.  Underwhelming. 
Plus, DG sounds like Geoff Tate in the bridge.  And I never cared for Geoff Tate.  Annoying. 

AwakeFromOctavarium

Quote from: dtismajesty on February 21, 2011, 07:55:48 AM
Quote from: AwakeFromOctavarium on February 21, 2011, 07:51:43 AM
8. Dedication
9. King of Loss
10. Her Voices

>:(   ...I don't even...

Don't worry, it's not like I don't like them or they're bad. They're still way beyond the point of awesome, but I still had to rank all the songs so yeah.

LieLowTheWantedMan

1. Idioglossia
2. In the Flesh
3. Morning on Earth
4. King of Loss
5. Used
6. Her Voices
7. Ashes
8. Falling/The Perfect Element
9. Song for the Innocent
10. Dedication
11. Reconciliation

pain of occupation

idioglossia would be a perfect song - if they chopped some of the ending.

ClairvoyantCat

All the lack of love for Dedication here is making me one fucking pissed off panda. 

wolfking

1. King of Loss
2. Reconciliation
3. In The Flesh
4. Idioglossia
5. Used
6. Falling/Perfect Element
7. Her Voices
8. Ashes
9. Song For the Innocent
10. Morning On Earth
11. Dedication

ClairvoyantCat

Eh tu, Wolfking? 

It's the greatest ballad ever.  I love how it progresses from a feeling of melancholy and then brings in subtle hints of rage until the explosion of anger in the bridge, which is quickly masked again by the melancholy before, while still retaining that hint of anger. 

wolfking

sonatafanica

:heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Idioglossia
Reconciliation
Dedication
Her Voices
Morning on Earth

:heart :heart :heart :heart

In the Flesh
Used
King of Loss

:heart :heart :heart

everything else

ClairvoyantCat

Woohoo I like rankings

Kingdom of Loss
Enter Rain
Ms. Modern Mother Mary
Disco Queen
Flame to the Moth
Spitfall
Cribcaged
America
Idiocracy
Scarsick

Also, Scarsick is a top two Pain of Salvation album.  Haters gonna hate. 

ClairvoyantCat

bump

So, with the recent Road Salt Two updates, it looks like the album release date is probably going to be pushed back much further than what was originally planned, (surprise) because it is apparently far from finished.  I'm optimistic that it will get out before 2012, but we're probably looking at somewhere around early Summer for a release date at least.  Bummer.  Also, at least two, possibly three of the songs from Linoleum are going to end up on Road Salt Two.  Double bummer. 

faemir

Quote from: dtismajesty on March 05, 2011, 06:14:11 PM
bump

So, with the recent Road Salt Two updates, it looks like the album release date is probably going to be pushed back much further than what was originally planned, (surprise) because it is apparently far from finished.  I'm optimistic that it will get out before 2012, but we're probably looking at somewhere around early Summer for a release date at least.  Bummer.  Also, at least two, possibly three of the songs from Linoleum are going to end up on Road Salt Two.  Double bummer. 

What the hell? What are they doing with their time? :(

ClairvoyantCat

Well, they are working on a dvd and they have been doing a decent amount of touring.  (for example, the India tour)

But I can't help but think that every little thing they add such as that will just take away from Road Salt Two's value when it does come out.  I mean, two albums that were meant to go together might not mesh so well once there is over a full year's gap between them.  In my honest opinion, Road Salt Two or not, I really just want them to close this chapter soon and see where they decide to go next with their music.

Not to mention that now, it seems maybe a good quarter of the album will be songs that they have already released TWO YEARS AGO.  So we get to look forward to three quarters of a new Pain of Salvation album.  Lovely.  And, of course, I would be cool with all of this if they would just fucking come to America. 

That fake tour last year was the cruelest April fools joke ever played. 

faemir

ClairvoyantCat

I guess you missed it.  They posted a bunch of North American tour dates up on their website March 31st last year.  And, (I'm convinced this was done to get at me specifically) just to rub it in my face they had one that was just a 45 minute drive from my house.  It was later revealed as an April Fools joke.  The bastards. 

Adami

What are these two recent RS2 updates of which you speak?
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

ClairvoyantCat

Facebook.  First off, the release date was posted as "later than you expect" and along with the fact that they are obviously not even decided on tracks let alone near finished recording, I'd say it's unlikely that it comes out any sooner than April, assuming that there are no more delays.  (which would be a very naive assumption) 

About the songs, to use his words...

"has re-recorded parts of Mortar Grind and remixed it entirely for Road Salt Two."

and

"Well, the sound and the feel of the original version of Mortar Grind stands out too much from the nature of the Road Salt universe. It is now more dry, close and rugged - it has a meaner bite :)

If You Wait is one of my all-time favorite POS songs by the way. Destined for RS2.

Gone is still hanging in the balance, depends on how it works with the rest of the album I'd say..."

pain of occupation

no sooner than april is right...my guess is august...or later.

seasonsinthesky

anybody know a place to buy The Perfect Element CD for a normal price that isn't eBay? as in, an actual record label store or something? it seems to be out of print, according to the POS webshop and Insideout.

just got Remedy Lane in the mail the other day. love the art; definitely suits the album sound better than the art for TPE, imo.

DarkLord_Lalinc

Dunno about record stores in your location, but you can always try Amazon. It's legit, it's safe and it works.

shadowfex

Anway, back to perfect element rankings:

1. Idioglassia
2. Used
3. In the flesh
4. Her Voices
5. Morning on earth
6. King of loss
7. Reconciliation
8. The perfect element
9. Ashes
10. Song for the innocent
11. Dedication

Adami

1. Used
1. In the Flesh
1. Ashes
1. Morning on Earth
1. Idioglossia
1. Her Voices
1. Dedication
1. King of Loss
1. Reconciliation
1. Song for the Innocent

ClairvoyantCat

Quote from: Adami on March 05, 2011, 10:57:43 PM
1. Used
1. In the Flesh
1. Used
1. Morning on Earth
1. Idioglossia
1. Her Voices
1. Dedication
1. King of Loss
1. Reconciliation
1. Song for the Innocent

Poor Ashes.

Adami

Quote from: dtismajesty on March 05, 2011, 11:33:21 PM
Quote from: Adami on March 05, 2011, 10:57:43 PM
1. Used
1. In the Flesh
1. Used
1. Morning on Earth
1. Idioglossia
1. Her Voices
1. Dedication
1. King of Loss
1. Reconciliation
1. Song for the Innocent

Poor Ashes.

Hehe, thanks I fixed it. :)

The King in Crimson

Quote from: seasonsinthesky on March 05, 2011, 07:43:11 PM
anybody know a place to buy The Perfect Element CD for a normal price that isn't eBay? as in, an actual record label store or something? it seems to be out of print, according to the POS webshop and Insideout.
It's a bitch to find. I still haven't tracked one down for a decent price yet.

Ebay is the only place I've seen it.

wolfking

Quote from: seasonsinthesky on March 05, 2011, 07:43:11 PM
just got Remedy Lane in the mail the other day. love the art; definitely suits the album sound better than the art for TPE, imo.

https://www.cdwow.us/CD/pain-of-salvation-perfect-element-part-1/dp/17758327#bc=8111

I use CDWOW.  It is excellent.