Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)

Started by ariich, August 23, 2010, 05:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClairvoyantCat

Why did Frederik not come on this last tour?   :sad:

I've been a bit worried about his participation becoming less and less from an already minimal starting point in Pain of Salvation in recent years.  I love his playing too much for that, and I'm worried he might not stay.   :'(

DarkLord_Lalinc

mizzl

wolfking

ClairvoyantCat

Second Love is one of the few, maybe the only Pain of Salvation song where I can say that I don't like the lyrics.  The music is nice enough, but the cliche words do nothing for me.  I've no problem with the music to it, though. 

sonatafanica

You have to remember that Daniel wrote that when he was, like, thirteen. I think it's very artful that the  song comes from a very real place and fits perfectly with the concept.

wolfking

I just love the calming, smooth atmosphere of the song, great stuff.  The lyrics are a bit cliche, but for the type of song, it fits fine.

wolfking

Just listening to another underrated one, Oblivion Ocean.  Damn, this song is amazing!

ariich

I concur, Second Love is wonderful and Oblivion Ocean is really good as well.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

mizzl

Quote from: wolfking on February 08, 2011, 02:26:19 AM
Just listening to another underrated one, Oblivion Ocean.  Damn, this song is amazing!
This. Oblivion Ocean is awesome  :hefdaddy

Dynia

Oblivion Ocean and Winning a War are songs that got me into PoS. Fantastic songs. Entropia is a great album, still one of their best. I probably like TPE and Be more, though.

sonatafanica

Oh yeah, I was just thinking about Remedy Lane and I want to add to my previous statement about the melody reprise that I think it's really cool that the line "in a Budapest taxi I've paid" is the same as the " day after day, I want you to say" in Second Love.

Daniel you are a genius!

wolfking

Quote from: sonatafanica on February 08, 2011, 08:48:36 AM
Oh yeah, I was just thinking about Remedy Lane and I want to add to my previous statement about the melody reprise that I think it's really cool that the line "in a Budapest taxi I've paid" is the same as the " day after day, I want you to say" in Second Love.

Daniel you are a genius!

Never noticed that one, have to listen to them again.

ClairvoyantCat

I found yesterday that the drum beat in Disco Queen starting at 0:44 of Disco Queen is the exact same pattern as the intro to idiacracy, except twice as slow.  That drum rhythm is also the same in the chorus of the title track. 

sonatafanica

Quote from: wolfking on February 08, 2011, 12:44:35 PM
Quote from: sonatafanica on February 08, 2011, 08:48:36 AM

Daniel you are a genius!

Never noticed that one, have to listen to them again.

It's the last time he says that line in Second Love.

Ultimetalhead

There's a ton of little things on Remedy Lane. Here's a few that I've found.

The riff after the chorus of Chain Sling, with Daniel's percussive vocals. First off, that same section is reprised in Beyond the Pale, with lyrics. Also, one thing that I think a lot of people miss, is that the melody of the riff has the exact same rhythm of the talking at the end of Beyond the Pale "We, will always be, so much more hu-man than, we wish to be."

Also, I can't help but laugh that the last word spoken on the album is the title of their next album. ZOMG THEY'RE CONNECTED.

wolfking

Been listening to One Hour the last couple of days, man this really is an amazing album, very underrated.   :metal

Riceloft

Everything from "BE" and before is pure genius.  Scarsick is damn good, just not quite at the same level.  I *love* the Linoleum EP, but can't stand Road Salt One.

wolfking

Listening to BE right now, damn piece of art!! 

ClairvoyantCat

I like how Daniel does a vocal solo in Beyond the Mirror.  All of their bonus tracks are so freaking good!

I might write down a top 25 someday, I'd like to try to decide on my favorites by Pain of Salvation, tis a ridiculously hard task!

wolfking

A top 25 - 50 POS list would be epic.  It would be interesting to see everyones opinions and how much they vary.

TheVoxyn

Lilium Cruentus

Just throwing that out there, so no one forgets it.

ClairvoyantCat

Hereafter has to be the best demo cut I've ever heard.  I was wondering if the rest of you have heard it.  I really like to hear the raw and unpolished version of Pain of Salvation, and plus you get Timeweaver's Tale!   :heart

Also, the solo Daniel plays at about 4:10 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbPRdY4-CLM is just about the greatest solo ever.  I like it even better than the studio solo, and that says a lot!

In The Name Of Rudess

Quote from: dtismajesty on February 07, 2011, 12:25:38 PM
Why did Frederik not come on this last tour?   :sad:

I've been a bit worried about his participation becoming less and less from an already minimal starting point in Pain of Salvation in recent years.  I love his playing too much for that, and I'm worried he might not stay.   :'(

I'm puzzled as to why he doesn't contribute much. The guy has a master's degree in classical and jazz, so he should be (at least nearly) as technically able as Jordan Rudess, for example. He's a pretty damn good composer too, seeing how he composed Iter Impius.

Dynia

I love BE. It's an amazing listening expirience. I think it's the best them. I especially love Pluvius Aestivus and Lilium Cruentus.
They should have named the songs rather different, though. I have to check the titles every time I want to write about any of the songs from this album :D

wolfking

Quote from: dtismajesty on February 10, 2011, 08:18:56 AM
Hereafter has to be the best demo cut I've ever heard.  I was wondering if the rest of you have heard it.  I really like to hear the raw and unpolished version of Pain of Salvation, and plus you get Timeweaver's Tale!   :heart

No  haven't heard these songs.  I'd easily buy a POS rarities cd with all the bonus tracks and demos.  I'd pay a lot of money for that.

ClairvoyantCat

mizzl

wolfking

I just made of POS compilation cd.  I never really wanted to do this, as I feel every album deserves to be listened to in it's entirety but thought I'd give it a go.  I have left out most of the epics just to fit more songs on the cd.  I'll put it in the car later and see how it flows.  Tracklist;

1. ! (Forward)
2. Ashes
3. Lilium Cruentus
4. Used
5. Linoleum
6. Reconciliation
7. A Trace of Blood
8. Oblivion Ocean
9. Waking Every God
10. Inside
11. Home
12. Chain Sling
13. Inter Impius
14. Undertow
15. Cribcaged

With some editing and necessary fade in and outs to make the songs flow better the running time comes to 79:59.

ClairvoyantCat

Random fun thought from seeing the Be dvd:

I wonder if Daniel had some sort of disagreement with the tuba player, and therefore made every effort to not show him at all.  The guy only visible once, and barely so in a quick wide shot.  Also, lots of closer shots are given to people who are very close to him as far as the stage position.  I didn't even know he was there until the fifth viewing.  There must be a reason.  Possibly even a conspiracy. 

/overanalysis

Fuzzboy

The tuba player was a Republican.

contest_sanity

Quote from: Fuzzboy on February 20, 2011, 04:52:47 PM
The tuba player was a Republican.
Maybe he refused to be finger-printed for the concert.

ClairvoyantCat

He probably told Daniel he had ugly teeth. 

I can't remember where, but Daniel specifically called out someonewho had told him on Facebook that he had ugly teeth.  This was in the middle of an interview during a completely unrelated question.  It was pretty funny, actually