Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 443700 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2
« Reply #385 on: January 27, 2011, 04:18:28 PM »
And yeah, I wouldn't trust wikipedia, but I can see why some people would consider it a concept album, as the songs are all about very similar themes. There's no narrative though, which is why there's no directly recurring themes.

I think what SDN is trying to get at is that he is one of those misinformed few who define "concept album" as anything with a theme.

But let's not let any of that shit go down in here.

I don't know what the concept of Road Salt 1 is just from listening to the album once, but I think albums that share a central theme like Dark Side of the Moon can be considered concept albums.  Albums with a narrative can be called concept albums or rock operas as well, they don't need dialogue to be called the latter.  My disagreement with the "official forum definitions" is well-known to the one person that gives a fuck (spoilers, its me).  

ANYways, RS1 has got some good stuff on it, but every time they try and go for a more retro sound, it doesn't work.  "Innocence," "Sisters," and "Road Salt" are some early favorites from this album right now.  I'll listen again, but this time I won't let Fair to Midland make me dizzy with amazement before I do.

DTismajesty: Yeah, I might try TPE1 later.  I mean, if I can't really get into that one then I guess I'll stop trying.  Its not like I hate PoS, I just never saw what was so special about them and I'd like to hear what it is, if possible.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #386 on: January 27, 2011, 04:23:10 PM »
I'm not sure I agree with him on that, TPE1 is harder to get into IMO. It's quite dense and is a real grower. At least it was with me.

And yeah, like I said some people will define it as a concept album; I was more getting at the lack of narrative meaning no obvious recurring themes really.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #387 on: January 27, 2011, 04:32:26 PM »
I'm not sure I agree with him on that, TPE1 is harder to get into IMO. It's quite dense and is a real grower. At least it was with me. 
Yeah, TPE1 completely turned me off of Pain of Salvation the first time I heard it. I re-visisted about 2 months later and couldn't understand what the dividing line was between it and me.

It's honestly one of the most beautifully frail albums I've ever heard. Every second is packed with so much emotion, and it's probably one of the few albums that has songs that really choke me up.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #388 on: January 27, 2011, 04:38:06 PM »

And yeah, like I said some people will define it as a concept album; I was more getting at the lack of narrative meaning no obvious recurring themes really.

I don't think it's the BEST one to get into, but if not that than what?  Considering that he has already heard Remedy Lane.  I mean, BE and Scarsick are definitely much harder to get into, and the first two albums might present a turn off in the form of the production and what-not. 

TPE was the second album I really got into with them.

There are some pretty instantly likable songs.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: January 27, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »

For the first point, I agree. It's not a starting place.

For the second point, I'm pretty sure Daniel defines it as a concept record, as he defines all their albums as such (I think, I'm not sure about Road Salt, but I know he's said Scarsick is). However, I've never really 'gotten' the concept of any PoS albums aside from Be and Remedy Lane, so who knows. 

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #390 on: January 27, 2011, 06:24:45 PM »
I will try to find the interview where Daniel confirms Road Salt isn't a concept album.  He says the songs only "vibrate on the same frequency."  Kind of like a Porcupine Tree album, I guess.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #391 on: January 27, 2011, 06:27:16 PM »
DTismajesty: Yeah, I might try TPE1 later.  I mean, if I can't really get into that one then I guess I'll stop trying.  Its not like I hate PoS, I just never saw what was so special about them and I'd like to hear what it is, if possible.
Finding out what's so amazing about POS is a long trip. Don't expect to find out any time soon.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #392 on: January 27, 2011, 06:39:14 PM »
A really crappy and distracting interview, with background music and everything, but Daniel goes into great depth about the structure and concept.  So, as I said earlier, the album follows no story.  The songs are all separate stories that are meant to connect and relate to each other, or "vibrate on the same frequency."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY0npuCRuJE&feature=player_embedded

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #393 on: January 28, 2011, 03:41:02 AM »
For the second point, I'm pretty sure Daniel defines it as a concept record, as he defines all their albums as such (I think, I'm not sure about Road Salt, but I know he's said Scarsick is). However, I've never really 'gotten' the concept of any PoS albums aside from Be and Remedy Lane, so who knows. 
Yeah Scarsick was one, as with all their other albums pre-RS1 (except possibly Entropia? I've never really known what that album is about :lol).

But yeah RS1 doesn't have any narrative. Thanks for finding that link dtismajesty, I knew I remembered him saying something about it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #394 on: January 28, 2011, 06:19:46 PM »
DTismajesty: Yeah, I might try TPE1 later.  I mean, if I can't really get into that one then I guess I'll stop trying.  Its not like I hate PoS, I just never saw what was so special about them and I'd like to hear what it is, if possible.
Finding out what's so amazing about POS is a long trip. Don't expect to find out any time soon.

This. I heard RL and TPE1 5+ times each before I got into them properly.

But now....DAMN THEY'RE GOOD.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #395 on: January 28, 2011, 07:21:19 PM »
Perhaps starting with Entropia? It's quite a good album and carries with them many unique traits as well with sounds that mix ease and complexity regarding the ability to obtain comfort and understanding.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #396 on: January 28, 2011, 07:26:55 PM »
I dunno.  Entropia was the last album of theirs that I got into.  It was the iffy production and the fact that it possessed less catchy melodies.

I don't understand why the Perfect Element would be anywhere near the hardest to get into.  Songs like In the Flesh, Morning on Earth, and Song for the Innocent are so instantly likable, and the other, more dense tracks came around quickly. 

But then again, my opinions don't really match others.  The album that clicked for me first is Scarsick and that one is my favorite, which I know isn't the normal PoS fan choice.   

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: January 28, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
I had listened to Remedy Lane and Scarsick, liked Remedy Lane a fair bit. When I got TPE and heard Used for the first time, that was it.

Unrelated, listening to RS1 again. What an awesome album.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #398 on: January 28, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »
Yeah, where is RS2 damn it.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: January 28, 2011, 07:44:09 PM »
Seriously, I'm so close to downloading the Linoleum EP just so I can hear some damned material from it.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #400 on: January 29, 2011, 12:18:05 AM »
I always forget about the existence of Linoleum.  Gone is such an awesome song, too.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #401 on: January 29, 2011, 12:35:10 PM »
I'm not going to listen to Linoleum EP until I will see tracklist for RS2 then I will listen to the songs that are not going to be on RS2 if there are going to be any

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: January 29, 2011, 05:43:12 PM »
Are you saying you guys haven't heard the other songs from Linoleum?  Mortar Grind is better than most songs on RS1.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #403 on: January 29, 2011, 06:41:50 PM »
Are you saying you guys haven't heard the other songs from Linoleum?  Mortar Grind is better than most songs on RS1.
I disagree. But it is good.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #404 on: January 29, 2011, 06:45:30 PM »
Gone is my favorite on Linoleum, that is one hell of a song. 

If You Wait is also amazing.  I consider it almost an obvious homage to Jeff Buckley.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #405 on: January 29, 2011, 06:55:11 PM »
Yeah Gone is probably my favourite.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #406 on: January 30, 2011, 02:32:44 AM »

I didn't hear any of them except for Linoleum of course I want to have full new experience from RS2 I'm sure that at least one of those three songs is going to be on that album... And if they are so great it's even bigger motivation for me cause I want to feel that greatness in whole album. But I think that at least the tracklist for RS2 should be released very soon didn't Daniel want it to be realesed in early 2011 in his last update?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: January 30, 2011, 02:54:14 AM »

I didn't hear any of them except for Linoleum of course I want to have full new experience from RS2 I'm sure that at least one of those three songs is going to be on that album... And if they are so great it's even bigger motivation for me cause I want to feel that greatness in whole album. But I think that at least the tracklist for RS2 should be released very soon didn't Daniel want it to be realesed in early 2011 in his last update?

Yeah, it was already postponed from Oct/Nov last year and we are still waiting.  If the other Linoleum songs will be on RS2, I think I will like that one more.  Nevertheless, we want RS2!!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #408 on: January 30, 2011, 02:55:32 AM »
Oh yes I am very much looking forward to RS2. There are a few songs on RS1 that aren't my favorite, but I really do like that album a lot.  :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: January 30, 2011, 03:05:09 AM »
Yeah, I guess Gone is a highlight from the EP, I was just always amazed with Mortar Grind and never seemed to look past it.  I love the Heaven and Hell riff in Gone.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: January 30, 2011, 03:09:28 AM »
I thought the EP was pretty weak so I'm really glad they're retooling things for RS2.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: January 30, 2011, 09:10:18 AM »
I just want a good version of 'Conditioned'. It was awesome live  :hefdaddy.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #412 on: January 30, 2011, 09:15:23 AM »

Conditioned is an awesome song.  If anything, it should at least stay a part of their live set. 

Speaking of songs that would be awesome live, Curiosity!  Why don't they play it?  It would be such an energetic and awesome live song!

One more thing, no matter how much Gone is one of my favorite all time Pain of Salvation songs, I hope for the rest of the Linoleum songs to stay off of Road Salt Two.  Linoleum's presence on Road Salt One was awkward and quite honestly a waste of valuable track space.  And that was with only about a one year gap.  Including songs in an album without change that have already been released two years ago?  No thanks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: January 30, 2011, 01:07:36 PM »

Conditioned is an awesome song.  If anything, it should at least stay a part of their live set. 

Speaking of songs that would be awesome live, Curiosity!  Why don't they play it?  It would be such an energetic and awesome live song!

One more thing, no matter how much Gone is one of my favorite all time Pain of Salvation songs, I hope for the rest of the Linoleum songs to stay off of Road Salt Two.  Linoleum's presence on Road Salt One was awkward and quite honestly a waste of valuable track space.  And that was with only about a one year gap.  Including songs in an album without change that have already been released two years ago?  No thanks.

As much as I'd love to see Mortar Grind on a full length album, I have to agree with you I think.  They have left it too long now to put those songs on an upcoming release, it needs to all be new material now.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: January 30, 2011, 02:07:33 PM »
As someone who never listened to the Linoleum EP, I think Linoleum works perfectly as a part of the album and it's not "wasted space". Seriously, it's one of the best songs on the album.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #415 on: January 30, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »
As someone who never listened to the Linoleum EP, I think Linoleum works perfectly as a part of the album and it's not "wasted space". Seriously, it's one of the best songs on the album.

Well the whole point is that we had already heard it on the EP a year ago, and it seems strange being on the album a year later without a single change.  So I guess not hearing the EP saved Linoleum for you.

I listened the HELL out of that EP, and when RS1 came out it made me always want to skip the track since it was the only "old" song on there.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: January 30, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »
I would have the same, if it weren't one of the most awesome tracks ever.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #417 on: January 30, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »

Well the whole point is that we had already heard it on the EP a year ago, and it seems strange being on the album a year later without a single change.  So I guess not hearing the EP saved Linoleum for you.

I listened the HELL out of that EP, and when RS1 came out it made me always want to skip the track since it was the only "old" song on there.

Yeah the same thing happend for me with Constant Motion during SC release time, the song was awesome I totally overplayed it and it ruined the song at the context of the album when the album was finally released... I learnt from that and since that I have never listened to anything like that and never will until I hear the whole album. This is the reason why I really disliked the idea of Linoleum EP when it was announced it was just something that I will have to resist to listen to and I didn't even know at that time that it will go for this long because of RS2!

So even though I know it won't happen I really hope all three songs on Linoleum will be included on RS2 so I don't have to buy that EP :biggrin:

BTW I can confirm that including Linoleum on RS1 is great if you didn't hear that song before...

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #418 on: February 01, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »
Got TPE on, currently on King of Loss....tuuuuuuune!  ;D

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #419 on: February 01, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »
Pain of Salvation should cover Supper's Ready. I've been imagining this for months.