Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 443809 times)

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2
« Reply #350 on: January 22, 2011, 01:34:44 PM »
Agreed with Sigz. BTP is the greatest.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #351 on: January 22, 2011, 01:39:44 PM »
The Perfect Element (song) is full of stronger melodies and emotions than Beyond the Pale, it just fails to tie them all together correctly.  Which is why I hold those two about equal.

However, Enter Rain holds up perfectly on both the strong melodies/emotions and tying it all together, so it is, in my humble opinion, the best them.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #352 on: January 22, 2011, 01:48:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgG7HI8E0dk  :metal  :metal  :metal

Leo is one AWESOME vocalist! 

(And it's not Nights in White Satin  :D )

Wow, that's pretty damn good. Presumably Daniel took over on drums there?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #353 on: January 22, 2011, 01:54:15 PM »
Yeah, Daniel drums.

Speaking of which, has anyone else heard Tip Toe Two?  It's a demo from Road Salt in sort of a raw jazz rock style.  Daniel is drumming, and the drums are really freaking impressive. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: January 22, 2011, 07:09:18 PM »
THERE IS NO WAY THAT YOU CAN FUAAAAAOOOCK HER LIKE I CAN

OH NO

YOUR SIMPLY

NOT THAT KIND OF MAN

:metal  :metal  :metal

That extended version of the song is much worse than the normal one.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #355 on: January 22, 2011, 07:10:57 PM »
I'm going to pretend you meant "better".
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #356 on: January 22, 2011, 07:13:15 PM »
Yeah, the way Daniel sings "Fuuooaack" contradicts PC's statement completely.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #357 on: January 22, 2011, 07:13:36 PM »
God fucking dammit, PC.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: January 22, 2011, 07:47:46 PM »
Seriously. The original song is awesome. The extended one just drags on... I'm glad they went with the normal one.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: January 22, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »
I prefer the extended one. Awesome song, especially when combined with 'What she means to me'.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #360 on: January 23, 2011, 02:50:45 AM »
I don't like the normal version maybe because I heard extended version. Maybe because the verses are great and they all are a bit different so cutting out two of them doesn't feel right or maybe because I miss the transitions from verse to verse... But it doesn't matter cause they played it extended live and I own special edition so I'm happy with my extended version and especially with What She Means To Me I can't imagine starting album without that song it's so much awesome

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #361 on: January 23, 2011, 03:08:49 AM »
I agree with everything Voxyn just said. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: January 23, 2011, 07:08:21 AM »
I don't like the normal version maybe because I heard extended version. Maybe because the verses are great and they all are a bit different so cutting out two of them doesn't feel right or maybe because I miss the transitions from verse to verse... But it doesn't matter cause they played it extended live and I own special edition so I'm happy with my extended version and especially with What She Means To Me I can't imagine starting album without that song it's so much awesome

I don't have the extended version, but from what I've heard I just don't think I'm missing out on much. I guess people like whatever one they listened to first. Personally, after hearing it so many times listening to a different version with extra verses and unnecessary profanity tacked on didn't do anything for me.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #363 on: January 23, 2011, 09:15:30 AM »

I don't have the extended version, but from what I've heard I just don't think I'm missing out on much. I guess people like whatever one they listened to first. Personally, after hearing it so many times listening to a different version with extra verses and unnecessary profanity tacked on didn't do anything for me.
I listened to the standard version once. It was my first listen of the album. After I got my hands on the extended songs, I fell in love with the album. There probably isn't much of a connection, but I do know that the extended versions are the songs that clicked with me, and the standard versions just seem short now.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #364 on: January 23, 2011, 09:20:25 AM »

The profanity was completely necessary.  No Way is an angry, jealous song. 

Now, I've always felt the drum solo to be a bit unnecessary, but it only takes No Way down from the perfect category into the amazing category. 

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #365 on: January 23, 2011, 10:27:43 AM »

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #366 on: January 23, 2011, 12:10:16 PM »

Now, I've always felt the drum solo to be a bit unnecessary, but it only takes No Way down from the perfect category into the amazing category. 

Pretty much this if the profanity isn't necessary here then there's no way it is necessary anywhere else, so there is no reason to even talk about some necessarity... But I agree that who likes what version probably depends the most on what version did you listen multiple times enough during getting into album period

Wait a minute i just listened to the normal version after some months right now and I realised that the verses are not the only thing that misses. They cut off half from the first soft section with just piano and vocals. And that section is one of my favorite moments from the album and from the POS overall so this made the normal version pretty much worthless for me.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #367 on: January 24, 2011, 10:56:34 AM »
Why haven't I listened to Remedy Lane in so long? I'd totally forgotten how good it was.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline jsem

« Reply #368 on: January 25, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »
Listening to Be. Going to have to follow up on listening to all POS albums... Imago is epic.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #369 on: January 25, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »

The drum solo in No Way is awesome. :metal

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #370 on: January 25, 2011, 07:29:09 PM »

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #371 on: January 26, 2011, 06:34:04 AM »
Why haven't I listened to Remedy Lane in so long? I'd totally forgotten how good it was.
I realized this too. Of the Two Beginnings is surprisingly good as an opener and a song.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #372 on: January 26, 2011, 12:52:24 PM »
Oh yeah, especially when the A Trace of Blood melody comes in. It's a perfect opening song.

And also when the Beyond the Pale bit comes on...sort of, it's a variation I think. These are all just observations.

Here's what I mean from the two:

And there's nothing that we'd rather shaaare
---
In the morning she's going awaaaay

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #373 on: January 26, 2011, 02:44:28 PM »
Road Salt One must be the first Pain of Salvation without any definite musical reincorporation. 

Even Scarsick had some subtle ones. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #374 on: January 26, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »
Road Salt One must be the first Pain of Salvation without any definite musical reincorporation. 
Unusual terminology, but if you mean what I think you mean, then there are a couple. The start of Where It Hurts is based on the theme from Sisters.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #375 on: January 26, 2011, 03:52:04 PM »
Unusual terminology, but if you mean what I think you mean, then there are a couple. The start of Where It Hurts is based on the theme from Sisters.

That's a bit of a stretch, wouldn't you think?  I mean, 1,7,6 is not an uncommon progression.  However, it is possible. 

I meant more in specific melodies being repeated, such as the ones Sonata mentioned, the Imago one that shows up in BE, the drum pattern that repeats itself several times in Scarsick, etc. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #376 on: January 26, 2011, 04:15:04 PM »
Yeah, I don't think RS1 is a concept album, which is a first for them, so that might be why there are no repeated melodies as such, just some subtler references.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: January 27, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »
According to wiki, RS1 is a concept album.

Anyways, inspired by Sigz's top albums list, I'm going to attempt to pick up on what makes PoS so adored.  Remedy Lane is all right to me, with a few standouts, but a few clunkers as well.  I was going to try The Perfect Element, but found RS1 first.  After hearing "Linoleum," which I didn't like, and "Road Salt," which I thought was better, I figured, "maybe the album is better than that song."  Well, I've started my first listen of RS1, and "No Way" kicked in, and I was getting the feeling that the whole album would be full of this mediocre throwback classic/garage rock that not even an interesting atmospheric passage could save.  I'm on "Of Dust" right now.  This one and the last two songs have been a vast improvement, especially "Sisters."  It seems really easy to get lost in that song. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #378 on: January 27, 2011, 03:51:05 PM »
Sisters is incredible, one of my favourite PoS songs.

And yeah, I wouldn't trust wikipedia, but I can see why some people would consider it a concept album, as the songs are all about very similar themes. There's no narrative though, which is why there's no directly recurring themes.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #379 on: January 27, 2011, 03:53:04 PM »
SDN, Road Salt isn't exactly a starters album for PoS.  It's great, but The Perfect Element would be a better album to get into them.  

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #380 on: January 27, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »
And yeah, I wouldn't trust wikipedia, but I can see why some people would consider it a concept album, as the songs are all about very similar themes. There's no narrative though, which is why there's no directly recurring themes.

I think what SDN is trying to get at is that he is one of those misinformed few who define "concept album" as anything with a theme.

But let's not let any of that shit go down in here.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #381 on: January 27, 2011, 03:59:01 PM »
Yeah, I don't think RS1 is a concept album, which is a first for them, so that might be why there are no repeated melodies as such, just some subtler references.

I'm not 100% sure if they're 100% identical, but it sounds like the Sisters melody is also in the middle or ending or whatever of Where it Hurts. The "everyone I know seems to be broken" part.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #382 on: January 27, 2011, 04:00:47 PM »
It's the same chord progression.  But it's a very common progression so it could likely be a coincidence. 

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #383 on: January 27, 2011, 04:01:09 PM »
They're not terribly similar, but it's the same fender rhodes sound and it definitely makes you think back to Sisters.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #384 on: January 27, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »
Got the deluxe edition of RS1 finally. I love the intro song, it leads in really nicely.