Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)

Started by ariich, August 23, 2010, 05:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toro

Scarsick is great I love Disco Queen and Enter Rain and Cribcaged and Spitfall... Fuck it. The whole album is great.

ClairvoyantCat

Darkes7

Now this is something I wouldn't expect.

sonatafanica

Why not? Steven Wilson said he liked it a lot as well.

Darkes7

I don't know... just knowing Mikael I find it kind of surprising. The same way I would be very surprised if Daniel liked Watershed for example.

Ben_Jamin

qRoad Salt One and Scarsick are great albums. America is a fun song along with Disco Queen. Sleeping Under The Stars is pretty cool and would be fun if they could pull it off live.

ClairvoyantCat

Quote from: Darkes7 on December 20, 2010, 01:04:54 PM
I don't know... just knowing Mikael I find it kind of surprising. The same way I would be very surprised if Daniel liked Watershed for example.

mmm... I've heard the two are good friends with a mutual respect for each other's music.  I think I read somewhere that Daniel liked Opeth as well as Mikael like Pain of Salvation. 

Darkes7

Interesting, wasn't aware of it. All I remember there was an interview where he was asked about Swedish extreme metal like Opeth and Meshuggah, and he said something like technical metal doesn't fascinate him because he can figure out the rhythm quite easily, and said nothing about Opeth altogether. I've always understood it as basically "meh", but then I guess I misunderstood it. Mikael on the other hand was asked about them in Metal Hammer here and he just said they asked PoS once to tour with them.

Fnejk

Just dropped in to say that Beyond the pale is > all other pos songs  ;)

wolfking

Quote from: Fnejk on December 21, 2010, 01:17:48 AM

No.

NecessaryPain

It's always in my top 3. And I mean always.

Top 3 would bounce between The Perfect Element, Beyond The Pale and A Trace of Blood

ClairvoyantCat

Quote from: wolfking on December 21, 2010, 01:54:33 AM
No

Definitely this.  It's probably not even a top ten for me.  It's good, though. 

carl320

Just dropped in to say that The Perfect Element is > all other pos songs  ;)

FTFY

Pirate

Agreed

Darkes7

No.
Not even top 3 on RL, sorry (A Trace of Blood, Undertow, Fandango, Rope Ends). It's a great song, but definitely not that great.

Adami

Quote from: Darkes7 on December 21, 2010, 04:13:58 PM

No.
Not even top 3 on RL, sorry (A Trace of Blood, Undertow, Fandango, Rope Ends). It's a great song, but definitely not that great.

It's better than Fandango and A Trace of Blood.
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

Darkes7

No. Fandango is amazing because of how unusual it is. It's a song that seems to me like it's ripping most rock/metal traditions to shreds and resulting in something totally unusual in terms of... basically everything. And it's amazingly catchy in the process. A Trace of Blood on the other hand... well, the emotion in the song is just incredible. I needed time to appreciate it, but when I did, it's competing even with Undertow. And the last words of the song... I can't even describe the feeling.

Adami

Quote from: Darkes7 on December 21, 2010, 04:20:05 PM
No. Fandango is amazing because of how unusual it is. It's a song that seems to me like it's ripping most rock/metal traditions to shreds and resulting in something totally unusual in terms of... basically everything. And it's amazingly catchy in the process. A Trace of Blood on the other hand... well, the emotion in the song is just incredible. I needed time to appreciate it, but when I did, it's competing even with Undertow. And the last words of the song... I can't even describe the feeling.

The chorus to Fandango just ruins it for me. It just loses any sense of groove when it forces an odd time signature for no reason.

Granted the chorus to BTP isn't amazing either, but it's far from the annoyingness that is the Fandango chorus.

Darkes7

You mean the "all his/her life..." chorus? It's actually my favourite part of the song.

Adami

Quote from: Darkes7 on December 21, 2010, 04:24:14 PM
You mean the "all his/her life..." chorus? It's actually my favourite part of the song.

huh? No, I mean the "Live that you might find the answers...." part.

Darkes7

Ah, right. Actually, either would work as chorus. :P I also like it because of how unexpected it is. It just appears out of nowhere, while also not being out of place.

Adami

Quote from: Darkes7 on December 21, 2010, 04:28:02 PM
Ah, right. Actually, either would work as chorus. :P I also like it because of how unexpected it is. It just appears out of nowhere, while also not being out of place.

The time signature is out of place. It sounds weird and not in a good way. It seems like it should have been 4/4 but was forced into an odd time for the sake of it.

Ultimetalhead

The only reason that chorus sounds weird at all is because of the drums. It sounds fine later when he's just singing it with the piano line.

Adami

Quote from: Ultimetalhead on December 21, 2010, 04:43:35 PM
The only reason that chorus sounds weird at all is because of the drums. It sounds fine later when he's just singing it with the piano line.

True, the drums just emphasize the time signature though.

contest_sanity

I love the chorus of "Fandango."  The weird time signature doesn't bother me at all; in fact, it's part of the appeal.

Adami

Quote from: contest_sanity on December 21, 2010, 10:55:31 PM
I love the chorus of "Fandango."  The weird time signature doesn't bother me at all; in fact, it's part of the appeal.

Fair enough, can't stand it myself.

contest_sanity

Quote from: Adami on December 21, 2010, 10:57:32 PM
I mean, I totally get what you're talking about.  Every time I hear that chorus I think to myself: "such a strange rhythm" -- but it's never bothered me.  I've always thought it was cool.  However, I could see something like that taking you out of the song in a way, which I'm guessing is what happens for you.

wolfking

Quote from: Adami on December 21, 2010, 04:16:41 PM
Quote from: Darkes7 on December 21, 2010, 04:13:58 PM

No.

It's better than Fandango and A Trace of Blood.

No.

Silver Tears

Quote from: contest_sanity on December 21, 2010, 11:08:13 PM
Quote from: Adami on December 21, 2010, 10:57:32 PM
I mean, I totally get what you're talking about.  Every time I hear that chorus I think to myself: "such a strange rhythm" -- but it's never bothered me.  I've always thought it was cool.  However, I could see something like that taking you out of the song in a way, which I'm guessing is what happens for you.

I'm pretty undecided on that chorus, sometimes I really like it, other times it just annoys me.

Lynxo

Quote from: Adami on December 21, 2010, 04:44:30 PM
Quote from: Ultimetalhead on December 21, 2010, 04:43:35 PM

True, the drums just emphasize the time signature though.
Actually, the entire song, including that section, is in 5/4, that doesn't change. It's the underlying rhytm that comes out a bit weird, what with the bass drum that always seems to be ahead of everything else.

And yes, that song is awesome and one of the most original things I've ever heard. I wish DG would still write songs like that...

faemir

Was listening to lots of PoS today, I can't decide which is better - BE or TPE1. But hey, rankings ahoy:

BE / TPE1
Scarsick (yup, above RL)
RL
RS1
Entropia
OHBTCL

ClairvoyantCat

Quote from: faemir on December 23, 2010, 10:57:11 AM
Was listening to lots of PoS today, I can't decide which is better - BE or TPE1. But hey, rankings ahoy:

BE / TPE1
Scarsick (yup, above RL)
RL
RS1
Entropia
OHBTCL

That's about exactly as I would do it.  Except drop TPE down to 3rd.

faemir

Scarsick above TPE1?

Ooo, you rebel :P

jonny108

BE
Road Salt One
Entropia
TPE
RL
Scarsick
OHBTCL

There's mine...a little different to a lot of peoples  :D
Really, really looking forward to RS2

Ravenheart

The Perfect Element
Remedy Lane
BE
Entropia
One Hour By the Concrete Lake
Road Salt One
Scarsick

I've grown to love all of their album, though :)