Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 380635 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #3535 on: July 05, 2022, 03:14:11 AM »
Was at the DC show.  I had the prime spot right in front of Daniel, which really wasn't that hard to get because the venue was less than half full.  Kind of sad to see that the turnout is so low.  I'm still wondering why they've never toured as a support act in the U.S. (as far as I can remember).  It seems like they went straight to headline shows but never built the audience up. 

Anyway the show was amazing.  I honestly neither noticed nor cared about the lack of bass player, except in the intro of Icon when that bass solo came through the PA lol.  I was surprised that Daniel's singing was impeccable and he was hitting all the high notes from TPE material without issue.  After seeing some clips of recent years I though he couldn't do that anymore but at least tonight he 100% could.  I also gotta say that the new stuff rocks harder on stage and when they busted out The Perfect Element it actually sounded kind of antique.  Leo sang that "I lost the will" moment in On a Tuesday which was a really big moment. 

Daniel didn't come out after the show unfortunately but I had lovely conversations with Vikram, Leo, and Johan.  All unbelievably nice people, an excellent lineup on and off stage.
Great report! I agree, they should open for DT or Opeth or someone like that.  They're one of my favorite bands, so it's sad to hear of such small turnouts.  It must have been amazing for you to be right in front of Daniel though.
Pain Of Salvation did open for DT already, in 2002, during the first European leg of the 6D tour (and the only one of the tour to actually have carried an opening act, all the others didn't anymore, at least in Europe), which btw was the second time I saw DT.
"Life's greatest battles often are fought alone"

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3536 on: July 05, 2022, 11:59:30 AM »
Damn, seeing The Perfect Element live must be something special. Just quickly skipped through and it sounds daaaamn good. The keyboard guy is awesome! 🤘 I hate how POS usually manages to skip Sweden haha.

Her Voices is one of my favorite songs and it sounded amazing here!

When preparing for ProgPower I was listening to The Perfect Element, pretty much for the first time. I came to love Her Voices and loved it live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

"We can't rewrite history. We can learn our own history, and share it with other people. While, we learn, from them, their history." -Me,Myself,I

Offline Kram

« Reply #3537 on: July 05, 2022, 01:36:21 PM »
Was at the DC show.  I had the prime spot right in front of Daniel, which really wasn't that hard to get because the venue was less than half full.  Kind of sad to see that the turnout is so low.  I'm still wondering why they've never toured as a support act in the U.S. (as far as I can remember).  It seems like they went straight to headline shows but never built the audience up. 

Anyway the show was amazing.  I honestly neither noticed nor cared about the lack of bass player, except in the intro of Icon when that bass solo came through the PA lol.  I was surprised that Daniel's singing was impeccable and he was hitting all the high notes from TPE material without issue.  After seeing some clips of recent years I though he couldn't do that anymore but at least tonight he 100% could.  I also gotta say that the new stuff rocks harder on stage and when they busted out The Perfect Element it actually sounded kind of antique.  Leo sang that "I lost the will" moment in On a Tuesday which was a really big moment. 

Daniel didn't come out after the show unfortunately but I had lovely conversations with Vikram, Leo, and Johan.  All unbelievably nice people, an excellent lineup on and off stage.
Great report! I agree, they should open for DT or Opeth or someone like that.  They're one of my favorite bands, so it's sad to hear of such small turnouts.  It must have been amazing for you to be right in front of Daniel though.
Pain Of Salvation did open for DT already, in 2002, during the first European leg of the 6D tour (and the only one of the tour to actually have carried an opening act, all the others didn't anymore, at least in Europe), which btw was the second time I saw DT.
I know, but that was 20 years ago.  I was thinking more along the lines of opening for them on a US tour.  To get them some much needed exposure here in North America.

Online goo-goo

• Discogs Store
« Reply #3538 on: July 06, 2022, 08:09:32 AM »
Remember that PoS, more specifically Daniel, refused to tour the US during the George W. Bush days I believe....and then he got really really sick for a year or two. All the momentum the band had up to that point in the US quickly faded. Now they are back in the US and they still make money, otherwise, they wouldn't have returned after their US headlining show prior to Covid (I caught them in Dallas at an outdoor venue and it was fucking freezing, turnout was less compared to what I saw in this years tour pictures).

Offline Kram

« Reply #3539 on: July 06, 2022, 02:34:27 PM »
Remember that PoS, more specifically Daniel, refused to tour the US during the George W. Bush days I believe....and then he got really really sick for a year or two. All the momentum the band had up to that point in the US quickly faded. Now they are back in the US and they still make money, otherwise, they wouldn't have returned after their US headlining show prior to Covid (I caught them in Dallas at an outdoor venue and it was fucking freezing, turnout was less compared to what I saw in this years tour pictures).
You're right - I forgot he refused to enter the US LOL.  Well obvioulsy that's no longer the case.  So I'm calling for a 2nd North American leg of the View From a Top of The World tour, with special guests Pain of Salvation.  I think this would be a win win for both bands!