Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 443777 times)

Offline Kram

Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #3430 on: April 27, 2022, 12:36:40 PM »
I actually think starting from the beginning works quite well and that's what did it for me. Entropia and One Hour by the Concrete Lake are both great and by the time you get to The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane you are already warmed up/familiar with the band and those albums might hit harder.
Yes, this would work well too.  Then after you're familiar with Remedy Lane, pick up 12:5 and I guarantee you'll love that.

12:5 and the Road Salt albums were clunkers for me and even Be to some extent. But Entropia, One Hour, TPE and Remedy Lane is probably one of the best runs ever in music.
Agree for the most part on the Road Salt albums (but there are some good songs on both), but not 12:5 - I love that album.  BE is an interesting one.  For me it has some killer material on it, but at the same time there's definitely some "fluff" there that does nothing for me.  But their first 4 albums, and their last two, are all amazing IMO.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3431 on: April 27, 2022, 03:08:27 PM »
I started listening to them with The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane and got 12:5 after that. I absolutely love that stretch of 3 releases. I got Concrete Lake and Entropia next but really never got into them like everyone else did. This was around the time BE came out and I was lukewarm to it then but really love it now. After Scarsick and the Road Salt albums, haven't paid much attention to them since.

I do need to check out the recent releases though.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3432 on: April 27, 2022, 03:42:02 PM »
I started listening to them with The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane and got 12:5 after that. I absolutely love that stretch of 3 releases. I got Concrete Lake and Entropia next but really never got into them like everyone else did. This was around the time BE came out and I was lukewarm to it then but really love it now. After Scarsick and the Road Salt albums, haven't paid much attention to them since.

Minus a song or two, I don’t listen to Scarsick or either Road Salt album but the last two albums have really been fantastic. Different, not super accessible, but really great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3433 on: April 27, 2022, 04:04:27 PM »
Scarsick is incredible.  I understand why it's so ragged on, but it has a certain charm and atmosphere to me, it made my top 50, a brilliant album.  I really enjoyed Panther, I'll need to revisit  ITPLOD, that one didn't really connect too much with me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Adami

« Reply #3434 on: April 27, 2022, 04:17:28 PM »
Scarsick is incredible.  I understand why it's so ragged on, but it has a certain charm and atmosphere to me, it made my top 50, a brilliant album.  I really enjoyed Panther, I'll need to revisit  ITPLOD, that one didn't really connect too much with me.

I think Scarsick had a ton of potential. But the lyrics often hold it back and the production is just missing something to make it huge. But it has some really cool music, Melodie’s, riffs, and even a few great songs. But when he starts ranting against fast food and how America sucks and how rappers are dumb and what not, he just comes off as childish.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3435 on: April 27, 2022, 04:30:25 PM »

I think Scarsick had a ton of potential. But the lyrics often hold it back and the production is just missing something to make it huge. But it has some really cool music, Melodie’s, riffs, and even a few great songs. But when he starts ranting against fast food and how America sucks and how rappers are dumb and what not, he just comes off as childish.

I can see that but I guess that sort of stuff is what gives it a certain charm for me.  Spitfall's lyrics were pretty bad, but I really enjoyed the message on Cribcaged.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3436 on: April 27, 2022, 05:15:11 PM »
Scarsick has more good than bad.

I even feel the lyrics that may seem cringey to many, don't bug me nearly as much as some other records (Fear of a Blank Planet for example, off the top of my head).

Offline Kram

« Reply #3437 on: April 27, 2022, 05:20:47 PM »

Check out both Panther and In The Passing Light of Day.  Both super strong albums IMO.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3438 on: April 27, 2022, 05:24:46 PM »
I think I may have heard passing light of day when it came out, will need to re-listen to that and check out panther.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3439 on: April 27, 2022, 05:48:59 PM »
I still haven't gotten into Panther. I listened to it once and had no desire to listen to it again...which is kind of weird because that album came out the better part of three years ago.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online faizoff

« Reply #3440 on: April 27, 2022, 07:42:43 PM »
Listening to Panther now, it's really good so far with the 3 tracks in. I must've been living under a rock I had no idea The Perfect Element was remixed and released. I have the Remedy Lane remix which I enjoyed, must get TPE as well.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3441 on: April 28, 2022, 08:20:12 AM »
Finished listening to Panther and Passing Light of Day. Both are very good albums and have shades of the TPE and RL vibes that I loved when first listening to the band. I think I like Light just a tad more than Panther. Either way both are excellent records and a very strong return to what made me love this band. I'm going to check out the TPE remix next. Might just do a whole discography listen at this point as it has been a while since I listened to the band.

Online Adami

« Reply #3442 on: April 28, 2022, 08:51:03 AM »
Honestly, I wish they'd remix OHBTCL. That has some strong writing but the production is really really hard for me to look past.

Also looks like they will have a new keyboardist for the tour but haven't announced the bassist yet.

I do miss the days when this felt like a real band, as opposed to Daniel and whoever happens to be playing with him at any given moment.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3443 on: April 28, 2022, 09:07:17 AM »
Honestly, I wish they'd remix OHBTCL. That has some strong writing but the production is really really hard for me to look past.

Also looks like they will have a new keyboardist for the tour but haven't announced the bassist yet.

I do miss the days when this felt like a real band, as opposed to Daniel and whoever happens to be playing with him at any given moment.

I agree. Not so much that I'm disappointed in their latter albums but the 'feel' is just different. I would say, even though it's my personal favorite - BE was probably the start of Daniel feeling like more than just the writer/singer for the band. And he became more like the face of the band. Those early albums it just feels like a prog band making music and he happens to be the singer/writer. Now whenever a new album is being made it feels like he's almost a Jesus figure and everyone else are just faceless people in the back. Not that different to Tobias Forge at Ghost.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3444 on: April 28, 2022, 09:11:59 AM »
Maybe it's the next one? Not sure what the impetus was to remix RL and TPE but hopefully that also gets the remix treatment.

I was surprised that Johan came back, but it doesn't look like any of the band played on Panther, save a track here or there. That's probably why the drums sound all over the place on Panther, don't care much for the playing and tone on most tracks. It's why I am gravitating to Passing Light more as a better cohesive album.

Online Adami

« Reply #3445 on: April 28, 2022, 09:15:15 AM »

I was surprised that Johan came back, but it doesn't look like any of the band played on Panther, save a track here or there. That's probably why the drums sound all over the place on Panther, don't care much for the playing and tone on most tracks. It's why I am gravitating to Passing Light more as a better cohesive album.

I bought the album on Itunes so I didn't see the booklet, but is that true? The drums sound like Leo to me, but it wouldn't surprise me if Daniel did the rest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #3446 on: April 28, 2022, 09:25:20 AM »
Looks like I mixed that up, it's the reverse for drums. Daniel plays on UNFUTURE and Leo is the rest.

You can see the booklet here, it's the one closest to the end with the credits.

Online Adami

« Reply #3447 on: April 28, 2022, 09:27:56 AM »
Well it looks like his ego hasn't gotten any smaller haha.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3448 on: April 28, 2022, 10:47:45 AM »

The other Daniel left the band? I thought I heard somewhere (probably a YouTube comment) that he was going to take over the bass duties.

Online Adami

« Reply #3449 on: April 28, 2022, 10:52:22 AM »

The other Daniel left the band? I thought I heard somewhere (probably a YouTube comment) that he was going to take over the bass duties.

Dunno if he left. Daniel said he's "expanding his family" or something along those lines, so it's possible he's just sitting out this tour? Either way, he felt like a hired gun anyway, so replacing him with another hired gun doesn't feel too odd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #3450 on: April 28, 2022, 10:59:29 AM »
I think that era is most likely gone for them being a band and it's just a Daniel project at this point by the looks of it. I kinda miss Fredrik in the band the most.

Online Adami

« Reply #3451 on: April 28, 2022, 11:17:14 AM »
I think that era is most likely gone for them being a band and it's just a Daniel project at this point by the looks of it. I kinda miss Fredrik in the band the most.

Yea. I really miss the OHBTCL - BE lineup. I'm glad Johan is back, but I miss the other guys too. There was a real magic there. Now it's just Daniel and the whoever is with him back up players.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3452 on: April 28, 2022, 11:22:13 AM »

Dunno if he left. Daniel said he's "expanding his family" or something along those lines, so it's possible he's just sitting out this tour? Either way, he felt like a hired gun anyway, so replacing him with another hired gun doesn't feel too odd.

He was in the band for over 10 years and Gustaf was in for 9 years or so. They seemed like real band members to me. I doubt they had any real contributions to the song writing but hasn't that always been the case with the other members?

Edit: The other members except Zolberg.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 11:40:19 AM by Herrick »

Online Adami

« Reply #3453 on: April 28, 2022, 12:10:32 PM »
Mostly. Fredrick had some good song writing credits with them. Not many, but some key moments (no pun intended).

I think their first guitarist had writing credits too and I would be shocked if Kristofer didn’t.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kram

« Reply #3454 on: April 28, 2022, 12:22:08 PM »
I'll agree that it pretty much feels like a Daniel solo project at this point.  But I would point out that Leo has been with him for quite some time now (and he's a fantastic drummer).  I know Daniel had mentioned he played all the bass parts on Panther and most of the guitar parts too.  I'm pretty sure I saw on Facebook a few months ago that Leo was tracking drums for the new album, maybe Johan will be more present on this album as well.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Online Adami

« Reply #3455 on: April 28, 2022, 12:23:00 PM »
Yea, Leo definitely feels like the other band member. No doubt.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kram

« Reply #3456 on: April 28, 2022, 12:24:48 PM »

Interesting.  I've been wondering who will be playing bass on this tour and have not been able to find any info/announcement about that.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3457 on: April 28, 2022, 12:26:17 PM »

He's got a good voice too. There's a video of them playing On A Tuesday where Margarit sings the I Lost The Will part and it was really good.

Offline Kram

« Reply #3458 on: April 28, 2022, 12:28:35 PM »

He's got a good voice too. There's a video of them playing On A Tuesday where Margarit sings the I Lost The Will part and it was really good.
He's a very good singer.  I saw a video on YouTube of him singing The Show Must Go On by Queen (obviously not an easy song to sing), and he was very very impressive!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3459 on: April 28, 2022, 12:33:29 PM »

He's a very good singer.  I saw a video on YouTube of him singing The Show Must Go On by Queen (obviously not an easy song to sing), and he was very very impressive!

Yeah I watched that one too  :hefdaddy

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3460 on: April 28, 2022, 03:04:57 PM »
Saw this from a progpower facebook group

Keyboard wizard and all-around cool guy Vikram Shankar of Redemption, Silent Skies, and Lux Terminus will be joining PPUSA alumni Pain of Salvation on their US tour and at ProgPower USA XXI!

Offline Kram

« Reply #3461 on: April 28, 2022, 03:43:43 PM »
Saw this from a progpower facebook group

Keyboard wizard and all-around cool guy Vikram Shankar of Redemption, Silent Skies, and Lux Terminus will be joining PPUSA alumni Pain of Salvation on their US tour and at ProgPower USA XXI!
Thanks for the info.  So it appears that Daniel (the other Daniel) will be playing bass then and Vikram will be playing keyboards.  It would be nice if the band, or DG, would announce these things for the fans to know.

Online Adami

« Reply #3462 on: April 28, 2022, 03:50:07 PM »
Daniel Karlsson (D2) will not be on tour with them. Per Daniels instagram post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc3xKg4I4cl/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kram

« Reply #3463 on: April 28, 2022, 04:41:02 PM »

Interesting.  No mention of who will play bass - could it be Daniels brother?

Online Adami

« Reply #3464 on: April 28, 2022, 04:52:32 PM »

Interesting.  No mention of who will play bass - could it be Daniels brother?

DON'T TEASE ME!

I'm sure they'll announce it soon.

OR it will be backing tracks and a hologram of Daniel playing bass.

Oh god. I can see it too. Daniel on stage with holograms of him playing the other instruments.
fanticide.bandcamp.com