Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 443853 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #3395 on: October 06, 2021, 12:16:00 PM »
Yea, if I remember correctly at least some of the writing is from the Panther sessions, so I assume it'll have a pretty similar vibe. Which is fine by me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kram

« Reply #3396 on: October 06, 2021, 12:20:31 PM »
Yea, if I remember correctly at least some of the writing is from the Panther sessions, so I assume it'll have a pretty similar vibe. Which is fine by me.
Yep, me as well.  Daniel mentioned over a year ago that he had started working on the next album.  Glad to see they take their time with it, unlike some others we know LOL

Online goo-goo

« Reply #3397 on: October 07, 2021, 09:17:26 AM »
The only thing that bugs me is the snare sound...it's a bit annoying. Last two PoS releases have been stellar except for that.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3398 on: January 24, 2022, 06:58:17 PM »
NA Tour this May with Klone.

i wonder if this suggests the new album could be coming this Spring?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3399 on: January 24, 2022, 07:18:54 PM »
Definitely going to that New York show!

Not sure if we'll get a new album before then, but maybe!

DG posted a pic of them recording the new album I think just today. No way they're still recording an album that will be released before May. Unless it was just an old pic and they're finished.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3400 on: January 25, 2022, 03:48:37 AM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but apparently the new album will be called THE DEEP END and it will include a song named FROM THE DEEP  :tup
any rock can be made to roll

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3401 on: January 25, 2022, 03:51:30 AM »
Will they continue with the ALL CAPS?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3402 on: January 25, 2022, 04:52:50 AM »
Will they continue with the ALL CAPS?

I'M NOT SURE BUT DG STYLIZED IT THAT WAY IN HIS POST SO THEY MIGHT
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #3403 on: January 25, 2022, 08:49:33 AM »
Imma go to that DC show for sure! 

As for what this means for the new album, I'm betting on late Fall 2022.  They're probably wrapping up recording (Johan was in the studio the other day which generally means it's in the very late stages) but they'll tour for Panther and sit on it a while because May is way too soon for a release schedule.   This tour wasn't planned to support a new album, it's structured around the postponed CTTE and Progpower dates. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3404 on: January 25, 2022, 08:58:38 AM »
I'll see them on CttE, but not sure about any other shows. NYC would involve taking half a day off from work since I usually work from home now, and Philly would involve round trip transportation plus an airbnb for the night. I wasn't head over heels with Panther, so unless they drop the new album first and I love it I'll probably just stick with the cruise sets.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3405 on: January 25, 2022, 09:08:12 AM »
I'll hit the Cambridge, Ma show.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kram

« Reply #3406 on: January 25, 2022, 11:33:24 AM »
I don't know if this was mentioned, but back in I believe November, Daniel had posted that he had contracted Lyme disease, and as a result he was unable to work on the new album for a few months.  Back then he said he had recovered, and was starting to work on the album again (and they're obviously still working on it).  So that set it back a bit.  Man for a guy who seems like he's in incredible shape, he sure has had some back luck health wise the last decade or so.  I really liked PANTHER so have high hopes for THE DEEP END

Offline Kram

« Reply #3407 on: January 25, 2022, 11:38:13 AM »
Imma go to that DC show for sure! 

As for what this means for the new album, I'm betting on late Fall 2022.  They're probably wrapping up recording (Johan was in the studio the other day which generally means it's in the very late stages) but they'll tour for Panther and sit on it a while because May is way too soon for a release schedule.   This tour wasn't planned to support a new album, it's structured around the postponed CTTE and Progpower dates.
Where do you see a DC show listed (not that I could go to that one)?  I'm only showing 1 show in San Jose CA, then Montreal, NY, Boston and Philly listed.  I sure hope they add more US dates.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #3408 on: January 25, 2022, 11:59:29 AM »

Where do you see a DC show listed (not that I could go to that one)?  I'm only showing 1 show in San Jose CA, then Montreal, NY, Boston and Philly listed.  I sure hope they add more US dates.

I'm going off of the tour poster image posted above.  Guessing not all of them are actually listed/available just yet.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 12:08:47 PM by ClairvoyantCat »

Offline Kram

« Reply #3409 on: January 25, 2022, 02:02:32 PM »

I'm going off of the tour poster image posted above.  Guessing not all of them are actually listed/available just yet.
OK, thanks.  I totally spaced and missed that.  Has anyone heard anything about a new bass player?  You'd think with a tour coming up they'd already have someone in place.

Offline Kram

« Reply #3410 on: March 13, 2022, 01:16:37 PM »
Daniel's up in his cabin in the woods this weekend recording vocals for the new album.  He actually posted a couple sneak peaks on Facebook yesterday asking peoples opinions on the different mic's he's using.  It sounded pretty incredible if you ask me.  Definitely a bit of a PANTHER vibe but slightly different.  If you have him on Facebook, go check it out.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3411 on: March 13, 2022, 01:32:45 PM »
yeah I saw that on Instagram as well.

if he's working on vocals right now, yeah the new album very likely won't be until late in the year, or even early 2023.

Offline Kram

« Reply #3412 on: March 13, 2022, 01:51:48 PM »
yeah I saw that on Instagram as well.

if he's working on vocals right now, yeah the new album very likely won't be until late in the year, or even early 2023.
Hopefully by the end of the year.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3413 on: March 13, 2022, 02:09:42 PM »
I have tired, on multiple occasions, to get into Pain of Salvation...largely inspired by the way their fan base has written about the band over the years.

Unfortunately, nothing has clicked. Most recently, I gave their last record ('Panther'?) a listen when it came out, but again, I literally can't remember a single thing about it. I like Daniel's voice, and I 'like' the idea of the band...hell, I even like their album covers, but I suspect I'm just starting at the wrong spot. If the first thing I ever heard from DT was The Astonishing, I'm not sure that I'd have become a fan.

If anyone who's a fan wants to post a quick 'ranking' or 'where to start first' list, I'd love to give POS another shot.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3414 on: March 13, 2022, 02:15:20 PM »
The debut has a couple of great tracks. But the albums "The perfect Element" and "Remedy Lane" are the most solid collections of songs they have done.

"B.E." stands out as their craziest concept album with some unique tracks that work like puzzle pieces in the whole but don't do much as songs of their own. If this sounds like your cup of tea, make sure to give it a listen.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3415 on: March 13, 2022, 02:36:24 PM »
They change the style of their music quite often, so their records are kinda diverse, but if you can't get into The Perfect Element or Remedy Lane, you probably don't like the rest either.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online nick_z

« Reply #3416 on: March 13, 2022, 02:55:04 PM »
I of course agree with the Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element recommendations.

I would add a personal favorite as well - One Hour By the Concrete Lake. It's their second album, first I've heard of them. In a way, that's their most classically Prog (capital P) Metal album, but it had plenty of their unique approach already. Production is a bit weird, but I love that record.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3417 on: March 13, 2022, 03:09:38 PM »
The debut has a couple of great tracks. But the albums "The perfect Element" and "Remedy Lane" are the most solid collections of songs they have done.

"B.E." stands out as their craziest concept album with some unique tracks that work like puzzle pieces in the whole but don't do much as songs of their own. If this sounds like your cup of tea, make sure to give it a listen.

"B.E." is the one with the narration? Yeah, I don't think I ever made it past the third track.

I will definitely listen to 'Remedy Lane' and 'The Perfect Element'...I usually start with a band's most recent, but the 'Panther' album reminded me more of a modern hard rock album (like Disturbed???) than anything close to a Prog record.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3418 on: March 13, 2022, 03:11:53 PM »
I would try a few songs, but i agree, The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane are probably the most accessible..

Entropia - People Passing By
One Hour by the Concrete Lake - Inside
The Perfect Element - In the Flesh, The Perfect Element, Her Voices
Remedy Lane - A Trace of Blood, Undertow, Ending Theme
Be - Iter Impius
Road Salt I - Linoleum
Road Salt II - Eleven
In the Passing Light of Day - On a Tuesday

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3419 on: March 13, 2022, 03:14:35 PM »
As others have said The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane are the best albums to start with.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3420 on: March 13, 2022, 03:58:24 PM »
I think the first four are among the greatest debut 4 albums of all time in progressive metal.

Then BE was 5th, and while I do consider that to be an artistic masterpiece, it’s a little bit more like performance art set to music than a proper progressive metal album.

The albums since then have been pretty hit and miss.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kram

« Reply #3421 on: March 13, 2022, 05:02:03 PM »
Another vote for The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane.  I would pick up both of those and dive into them hard.  If those don’t click with you, they’re probably not the band for you. I consider both those albums 5 out of 5 stars!!

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #3422 on: March 14, 2022, 01:07:25 AM »
Definitely focus on The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane. They're ghostly portraits of what the band is now – the second guitar player is back, but for a while only Daniel Gildenlow remained from that lineup –, but their shadows loom large over the rest of their output since.

In the Passing Light of Day actually made me fall back in love with the band after not being so into the Road Salt albums (though there are a few songs in there that I love), so I'd recommend that one too.

If you want to get curious with the first albums, try their acoustic one, 12:5! It's surprisingly excellent for an acoustic album and has some versions that manage to excel the originals, IMO (Oblivion Ocean for one).

I wasn't crazy about Panther when it first came out, but I think it's charm and complexity are a bit deceiving. If you see it as a supercharged, streamlined, and warbly/glitchy version of In the Passing Light of Day (assuming you're into that one), it becomes a hell of a ride!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3423 on: March 14, 2022, 01:19:26 AM »
I'm only a casual PoS listener, I basically focus on Remedy Lane. That one seems to hit the spot for me, along with some stuff off The Perfect Element.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #3424 on: March 14, 2022, 01:49:52 AM »
Here's yet another vote for The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane.

Besides being arguably the two brightest gems in their discography, the other thing they have going for them is that they were both recently remixed (as 20th Anniversary Mix and Re:mixed, respectively) which did wonders as far as their clarity and punch goes.

The live acoustic album 12:5 that followed is also part of what I consider their artistic peak. Guitar tones notwithstanding, that one is very beautiful and imaginative. It also gives a taste of some great songs from the Entropia album.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Kram

« Reply #3425 on: March 14, 2022, 12:06:12 PM »
I too LOVE 12:5.  But I would pick that up after fully digesting The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane.  I think this will give you a better appreciation of it.  And if you really like that - then pickup Entropia and One Hour by the Concrete Lake.  The Road Salts are the weakest albums for me, but yes still a few outstanding songs on those as well.  I love both In the Passing Light of Day and PANTHER.  I thought they're both a huge return to form.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3426 on: March 14, 2022, 02:53:44 PM »
I actually think starting from the beginning works quite well and that's what did it for me. Entropia and One Hour by the Concrete Lake are both great and by the time you get to The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane you are already warmed up/familiar with the band and those albums might hit harder.

Offline Kram

« Reply #3427 on: March 14, 2022, 04:13:43 PM »
I actually think starting from the beginning works quite well and that's what did it for me. Entropia and One Hour by the Concrete Lake are both great and by the time you get to The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane you are already warmed up/familiar with the band and those albums might hit harder.
Yes, this would work well too.  Then after you're familiar with Remedy Lane, pick up 12:5 and I guarantee you'll love that.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3428 on: April 26, 2022, 08:43:30 PM »
Here's yet another vote for The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane.

Besides being arguably the two brightest gems in their discography, the other thing they have going for them is that they were both recently remixed (as 20th Anniversary Mix and Re:mixed, respectively) which did wonders as far as their clarity and punch goes.

The live acoustic album 12:5 that followed is also part of what I consider their artistic peak. Guitar tones notwithstanding, that one is very beautiful and imaginative. It also gives a taste of some great songs from the Entropia album.

I did not know The Perfect Element was remixed. Damn...almost $18 for the MP3 on Amaschlong.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online goo-goo

« Reply #3429 on: April 27, 2022, 07:43:40 AM »
Yes, this would work well too.  Then after you're familiar with Remedy Lane, pick up 12:5 and I guarantee you'll love that.

12:5 and the Road Salt albums were clunkers for me and even Be to some extent. But Entropia, One Hour, TPE and Remedy Lane is probably one of the best runs ever in music.