Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 443799 times)

Offline Pettor

Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #3325 on: September 18, 2020, 08:46:07 AM »
Gaaaah this is really a year with great POS stuff  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I thought the remix sounded really different actually.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3326 on: September 18, 2020, 08:47:42 AM »
BTW list your top song(s) from TPE!

Mine usually rotates and I really love every song on this album. But Idioglossia and Her Voices is what's going strong now. Used and In he Flesh is strong behind.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3327 on: September 18, 2020, 10:52:28 AM »
Pfft, that’s easy; King of Loss.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3328 on: September 18, 2020, 11:45:52 AM »
Pfft, that’s easy; King of Loss.

My ranking

1. Idioglossia
2. Every other song except
3. Falling
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3329 on: September 18, 2020, 12:02:00 PM »
I'm only a few listens into Panther and I feel it's too early to rank it or give any defining statements about it's quality, considering the 'new shine' polish is likely to fade, but I'm still really impressed. PoS puts out an album in 2020 that feels like a good mix of what they have done but also something fresh. I was thinking of all the bands I was super into 10 years ago, whether it's DT, PT/SW, Opeth, Anathema, The Dear Hunter, Pain of Salvation and so on, and how with pretty much all of them, my interest has faded with the years because I haven't been overly impressed with the output. Don't get me wrong, most of these have continued to put out decent albums but it's along the lines of 'same stuff but slightly worse'. Panther to me feels like a band with some fuel left in the tank and a band ~25 years into their career who still have new ideas and can put something interesting out. With some of these other bands I named, I still like them but none of them have put out an album recently that made me go "wow, this is some of their best stuff" but with Panther, it's still too early to tell, but I feel you could legitimately make a case for it being PoS best album and I think that's great. (for me personally BE might be impossible to beat but thats a later discussion)

Sorry for long post. :D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3330 on: September 18, 2020, 12:28:20 PM »
You know, I'm with you on everything you wrote :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Kram

« Reply #3331 on: September 19, 2020, 10:57:14 AM »
I feel personally that the dissonant sections in Icon are supposed to represent the ever-present danger of death. I said it previously in the thread, but I think the lyrics reference death specifically; 'She keeps on calling me, I keep hanging up, It's not that I don't want to talk, I just fear listening', with 'she' being death knocking at Daniel's door.

Of course, it could mean 'she' is 'life' or 'growing up' as well, but the more I listen, I feel like the deliberate choice to have that recurring motif be dissonant and crackling/lo-fi makes me think it's really about death.

The rest of the lyrics deal with struggles while living, for sure.

I dont like that.  It doesn't really gel with the rest of the song.  Also Passing Light of Day dealt with his fear of death so thoroughly, if this is the sequel then why go back there?  Daniel never wants to repeat himself. 

I think it's about him missing his family.  "She" could be his wife calling to tell him that they miss him while he's away.

Is "She", the same "She" who asks him in the title track "How does it feel to be you?", were he replies "I feel like a panther
Trapped in a dog's world"?  Or is it unrelated?

Offline Kram

« Reply #3332 on: September 19, 2020, 11:06:31 AM »
I'm only a few listens into Panther and I feel it's too early to rank it or give any defining statements about it's quality, considering the 'new shine' polish is likely to fade, but I'm still really impressed. PoS puts out an album in 2020 that feels like a good mix of what they have done but also something fresh. I was thinking of all the bands I was super into 10 years ago, whether it's DT, PT/SW, Opeth, Anathema, The Dear Hunter, Pain of Salvation and so on, and how with pretty much all of them, my interest has faded with the years because I haven't been overly impressed with the output. Don't get me wrong, most of these have continued to put out decent albums but it's along the lines of 'same stuff but slightly worse'. Panther to me feels like a band with some fuel left in the tank and a band ~25 years into their career who still have new ideas and can put something interesting out. With some of these other bands I named, I still like them but none of them have put out an album recently that made me go "wow, this is some of their best stuff" but with Panther, it's still too early to tell, but I feel you could legitimately make a case for it being PoS best album and I think that's great. (for me personally BE might be impossible to beat but thats a later discussion)

Sorry for long post. :D

I agree with everything you said as well except, for me, The Perfect Element is the one that's impossible to beat.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #3333 on: September 19, 2020, 12:58:53 PM »
I feel personally that the dissonant sections in Icon are supposed to represent the ever-present danger of death. I said it previously in the thread, but I think the lyrics reference death specifically; 'She keeps on calling me, I keep hanging up, It's not that I don't want to talk, I just fear listening', with 'she' being death knocking at Daniel's door.

Of course, it could mean 'she' is 'life' or 'growing up' as well, but the more I listen, I feel like the deliberate choice to have that recurring motif be dissonant and crackling/lo-fi makes me think it's really about death.

The rest of the lyrics deal with struggles while living, for sure.

I dont like that.  It doesn't really gel with the rest of the song.  Also Passing Light of Day dealt with his fear of death so thoroughly, if this is the sequel then why go back there?  Daniel never wants to repeat himself. 

I think it's about him missing his family.  "She" could be his wife calling to tell him that they miss him while he's away.

Is "She", the same "She" who asks him in the title track "How does it feel to be you?", were he replies "I feel like a panther
Trapped in a dog's world"?  Or is it unrelated?

Could be, but I dont think it matters.  In that song's case I think it is just a lyrical way to get to saying how he feels

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3334 on: September 23, 2020, 12:51:23 PM »
This album has grown on me a lot.  I think it eclipses ITPLOD.  Somehow Daniel sounds more...confident...or something.   

Whoever this drummer is, he's a freak  :rollin   Some of the most fucked up grooves I've ever heard.  I hesitate to even use the word "groove" because their more like a cross between grooves and hiccups.  Groove-ups?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3335 on: September 23, 2020, 01:13:08 PM »
The title track of ITPLOD is on a league of its own for me BUT I think Panther as a whole is a better album. Keen to a Fault is my favorite, something about the music and lyrics just resonate with me. I honestly enjoy it on the same level (if not more) than most of the songs from TPE/RL. :)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3336 on: September 23, 2020, 10:35:28 PM »
Keen to a Fault is my favorite, something about the music and lyrics just resonate with me.

The song makes me feel the same way. It was an instant connection when I first heard the song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Bentower

« Reply #3337 on: September 23, 2020, 11:37:51 PM »
Whoever this drummer is, he's a freak  :rollin   Some of the most fucked up grooves I've ever heard.  I hesitate to even use the word "groove" because their more like a cross between grooves and hiccups.  Groove-ups?

It's been pretty awesome hearing Leo steadily up his game since his humble beginnings back in 2007. My guess is that it's been at least in part inspired by the drumming in bands like Leprous, Animals as Leaders and Periphery. So while they're not entirely original in sound or style the last two albums have still been really impressive works by him.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3338 on: September 24, 2020, 01:07:24 PM »
I think Leo's work excellent, but.. did you listen to the CD2 from ITPLoD limited edition? It seems that his drumming is super-influenced by the original drum parts written by Daniel.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3339 on: September 24, 2020, 01:25:33 PM »
Pretty short album by modern standards at only 53 minutes.  Noticed it this morning. 

Also noticed there are moments sprinkled throughout this album that harken back to albums like TPE and Remedy Lane.  Some very clever production ideas. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3340 on: September 24, 2020, 03:14:43 PM »
Pretty short album by modern standards at only 53 minutes.  Noticed it this morning. 

Most albums nowadays are between 40-50 minutes in my experience, so I don’t think it’s short at all. It surely doesn’t feel ‘short’.
Squ

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3341 on: September 24, 2020, 07:26:25 PM »
Wait and Icon are good, although to rank them among their greatest tracks might be premature.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3342 on: September 24, 2020, 07:54:28 PM »

Most albums nowadays are between 40-50 minutes in my experience, so I don’t think it’s short at all. It surely doesn’t feel ‘short’.

In the prog world?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3343 on: September 25, 2020, 01:16:00 AM »

Also noticed there are moments sprinkled throughout this album that harken back to albums like TPE and Remedy Lane.  Some very clever production ideas.

Did you also catch the "Ending Theme" reprise at 7:25 of the song In The Passing Light Of Day?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3344 on: September 25, 2020, 01:42:28 AM »

Did you also catch the "Ending Theme" reprise at 7:25 of the song In The Passing Light Of Day?

It's also in the end of If This Is the End :P
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kram

« Reply #3345 on: September 25, 2020, 12:09:12 PM »
Wait and Icon are good, although to rank them among their greatest tracks might be premature.

I agree, it is a bit premature, but right now, I'm thinking both of these tracks are in my top 10 of all-time POS songs

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #3346 on: September 28, 2020, 12:37:29 AM »
Wait and Icon are good, although to rank them among their greatest tracks might be IS premature insane.
Fixed.  ;D

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3347 on: September 28, 2020, 12:46:11 AM »
Icon and Wait would def end up in my greatest songs of POS. Top 10 list maybe not but they are both some of the best stuff POS have done.

Also isn't the "short" length actually pretty great? I am so happy they didn't add anything more. Prog albums tend to trim waaaay to little of their album resulting in a dense and packed feeling. Here it's feels just right with no song that feels unnecessary or half-baked and the flow is maybe the best of any POS album imo.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3348 on: September 28, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »

In the prog world?

Yeah, not any bands I listen to.  Almost every album I got this year is more than 60 minutes.  The only thing I got this year so far that's shorter that this was the Frost* EP which was kind of meh

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3349 on: September 28, 2020, 01:55:49 PM »

Yes!   :hat

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3350 on: September 28, 2020, 01:57:35 PM »
Icon and Wait would def end up in my greatest songs of POS. Top 10 list maybe not but they are both some of the best stuff POS have done.

Also isn't the "short" length actually pretty great? I am so happy they didn't add anything more. Prog albums tend to trim waaaay to little of their album resulting in a dense and packed feeling. Here it's feels just right with no song that feels unnecessary or half-baked and the flow is maybe the best of any POS album imo.

I didn't mention it as a complaint.  I just thought it was unique in this day and age of 80-minute albums. 

More bands should know how to self-edit, especially in this genre

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3351 on: September 29, 2020, 12:33:35 AM »

I didn't mention it as a complaint.  I just thought it was unique in this day and age of 80-minute albums. 

Ah yeah didn't see it as complaint, just that I have been thinking about the flow and length of the album as well and came to the conclusion that I like shorter albums right now. Even D/T was a big improvement for DT imo. Pale Blue Dot could / should have been longer but otherwise an unusually trimmed album by DT standards.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 01:03:41 AM by Pettor »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3352 on: September 29, 2020, 12:49:16 AM »

I actually think that "age" is almost over... I realised that during the last few years, many bands tend to bring out shorter albums. Most prog albums released this year are shorter than 60 minutes:

Haken - Virus
Rikard Sjöblom's Gungfly - Alone Together
Pain Of Salvation - PANTHER
Dyble Longdon - Between A Breath And A Breath
The Pineapple Thief - Versions Of The Truth
Tim Bowness - Late Night Laments
Kansas - The Absence Of Presence
John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity
Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant

The new Steven Wilson will also fit on one LP. Neal Morse's new album is 67 minutes long, but that is still shorter than most of his other albums  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3353 on: November 18, 2020, 01:35:52 AM »
A bit late but there wasn't any update here. There's a new TPE Anniversary remix available, this time for Used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwJJO2__z_U

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3354 on: November 18, 2020, 02:01:55 AM »
Nice! I'm looking forward to the release this Friday.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3355 on: November 20, 2020, 07:33:37 AM »
Today is the perfect day to spin The Perfect Element a couple of times!  :metal :metal :metal

https://open.spotify.com/album/59CVVonQciTIUJH5zr7hia?si=ky8MZV1XQSyhkH3AMRL5aQ

BTW I really liked the Her Voices acapella part they have on the bonus CD. Always loved that song and this part is just fantastic. I hear the choir in a different way here as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx0biCjDLng

Also the Absolute Kromata song on bonus CD was super weird to listen to. It's the same samples as Dream Theater - Disappear I believe so I started to look for where on my PC that was playing and how that was possible  ;D

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3356 on: November 20, 2020, 08:43:12 AM »
Following the release of their acclaimed new studio album “PANTHER”, Sweden’s progressive Metal innovators Pain of Salvation now present a special re-issue edition for their “The Perfect Element, Pt. I” album from 2000. Celebrating the 20th anniversary of the band’s third album, the re-issue version is entitled “The Perfect Element, Pt. I (Anniversary Mix 2020)” and is released today via InsideOutMusic.

Check out the album’s digital singles for a better idea of the new mixes:
 “Ashes (Anniversary Mix 2020)”:
https://youtu.be/4iZInmQc0c0
https://open.spotify.com/track/1KsDYvXlD1Kwv8h4WQUmOv
“Used (Anniversary Mix 2020)”:
https://youtu.be/NJez49wXx5c
https://open.spotify.com/album/6bY1mKqQrw9OQ6VA2VDqS5

Following on from the widely praised remix of the classic Pain of Salvation album “Remedy Lane” in 2016, “The Perfect Element, Pt. I (Anniversary Mix 2020)” comes completely remixed by Pontus Lindmark as well as mastered by Thor Legvold / Sonovo. The release, which features slightly revised artwork as well as new liner-notes, will be available as limited 2CD Digipak and Digital Album (with a total of 8 bonus tracks) as well as in the Gatefold 2LP format on 180g. vinyl with the entire remixed album as bonus CD.

Pain of Salvation - “The Perfect Element, Pt. I (Anniversary Mix 2020)” 2CD tracklisting:

Main CD (76:23):
1. Used (Anniversary Mix 2020) (05:23)
2. In the Flesh (Anniversary Mix 2020) (08:39)
3. Ashes (Anniversary Mix 2020) (04:27)
4. Morning on Earth (Anniversary Mix 2020) (04:35)
5. Idioglossia (Anniversary Mix 2020) (08:30)
6. Her Voices (Anniversary Mix 2020) (07:56)
7. Dedication (Anniversary Mix 2020) (04:02)
8. King of Loss (Anniversary Mix 2020) (09:51)
9. Reconciliation (Anniversary Mix 2020) (04:30)
10. Song for the Innocent (Anniversary Mix 2020) (03:03)
11. Falling (Anniversary Mix 2020) (01:53)
12. The Perfect Element (Anniversary Mix 2020) (10:13)
13. Epilogue (Anniversary Mix 2020) (03:14) * Bonus Track

Bonus CD (31:00):
1. Used (Live 2018) (05:54)
2. Ashes (Live 2017) (05:48)
3. Falling (Live 2018) (02:30)
4. The Perfect Element (Live 2018) (10:10)
5. Her Voices (and only that) (01:21)
6. Absolute Kromata (00:31)
7. Ashes [your language here] (04:42)

Pain of Salvation - “The Perfect Element, Pt. I (Anniversary Mix 2020)” 2LP tracklisting:

Side A:
1. Used (Anniversary Mix 2020) (05:23)
2. In the Flesh (Anniversary Mix 2020) (08:39)
3. Ashes (Anniversary Mix 2020) (04:27)
4. Morning on Earth (Anniversary Mix 2020) (04:35)
Side B:
1. Idioglossia (Anniversary Mix 2020) (08:30)
2. Her Voices (Anniversary Mix 2020) (07:56)

Side C:
1. Dedication (Anniversary Mix 2020) (04:02)
2. King of Loss (Anniversary Mix 2020) (09:51)

Side D:
1. Reconciliation (Anniversary Mix 2020) (04:30)
2. Song for the Innocent (Anniversary Mix 2020) (03:03)
3. Falling (Anniversary Mix 2020) (01:53)
4. The Perfect Element (Anniversary Mix 2020) (10:13)
5. Epilogue (Anniversary Mix 2020) (03:14) * Bonus Track

Note: The Gatefold 2LP comes with the entire remixed album (13 songs / 76 minutes) as bonus CD.
Next to the unlimited 2LP black vinyl version, “The Perfect Element, Pt. I (Anniversary Mix 2020)” is also available in the following limited coloured vinyl options:

Yellow 2LP: 100x copies (IOM Webshop)
Orange 2LP: 200x copies (CM Distro)
Creamy White 2LP: 100x (Band exclusive)
Red 2LP: 100x (Band exclusive)

Order for the release in its various formats here:
https://painofsalvation.lnk.to/ThePerfectElementI2020

And you can now also watch two drum playthrough clips by Pain of Salvation’s Leo Margarit for “The Perfect Element, Pt. I” songs here:

Idioglossia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyZ4NZBCpA4
Used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWH48KYM1kY

Pain of Salvation have recently released the studio album “PANTHER”, which managed to enter various international sales charts including the following: Germany # 19, Switzerland # 18, Austria # 43, Belgium (Wallonia) # 42, France # 125, UK Rock Album Chart # 12 as well as # 21 in the “Current Hard Music Albums” chart in the USA.

To further promote the release, Pain of Salvation have now also launched a lyric-video created by Felipe Rolli / (https://portfolio.feliperolli.com) for the title-track “PANTHER”, which features animated artwork with images by André Meister / (http://andremeister.com) from the PANTHER booklet to complement the lyrics.

Check it out here: https://youtu.be/katNlRYPA9o

Check out these videos for Pain of Salvation’s “PANTHER” album:
“ACCELERATOR”: https://youtu.be/5QKmOJl4GXQ
“RESTLESS BOY”: https://youtu.be/jkU564tyD5M
“PANTHER”: https://youtu.be/NmhJTkc9v8o
“UNFUTURE” Lyric Video: https://youtu.be/lZy3XoOBHTU
“RESTLESS BOY” Drum Playthrough: https://youtu.be/URYPi9Elv2g
“ACCELERATOR” Drum Playthrough: https://youtu.be/zC7qXUjYyDQ
“PANTHER” Album Trailer: https://youtu.be/njgmgECkFBw

Next to the standard CD and the Digital Album formats, ”PANTHER” is also available as limited 2CD Mediabook (Including expanded artwork and the following 4 bonus tracks on a separate disc (15:41): “PANTHER (demo)” (04:09), “KEEN TO A FAULT (demo)” (05:31), “FIFI GRUFFI” (03:32) and “UNFOREVER” (02:27)) and as 180g. Gatefold 2LP (Including the 4 bonus tracks on Side D and album on CD as bonus).

You can order “PANTHER” in its various formats here: https://PainofSalvation.lnk.to/Panther

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3357 on: November 20, 2020, 11:39:23 AM »
I wasn't too impressed by the remix for Used. The cymbals have been dialed down just a bit too much for my taste, and overall it just seems flatter.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3358 on: November 20, 2020, 12:22:17 PM »
Sadly this is the case for most of the album, the new mix isn't working for me. It sounds pretty flat and lifeless overall.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3359 on: November 20, 2020, 12:34:39 PM »
TPE is my fav PoS album but the production has always felt a bit.....lacking depth to me. I'll see how this new one is, but I'm not having high expectations.

Really, Steven Wilson could've remixed this. He seems to get it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com