Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 443827 times)

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #3255 on: September 02, 2020, 03:03:38 PM »
Am I the only one who never hated Daniel's rapping?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3256 on: September 02, 2020, 03:48:08 PM »
I love the title track.

However, the line “I fee like a panther trapped in a dogs world” sounds weird. Im not even sure what it means specifically. Plus it’s a bit clunky.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3257 on: September 02, 2020, 03:49:03 PM »
Well, no evidently not as I already said I loved the title track. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #3258 on: September 02, 2020, 03:55:44 PM »
The only thing I didn’t like regarding his rapping was when people who say how a 6 foot whatever white Swedish guy was totally “owning” real rappers on songs like spitfall when that is barely rapping and is pretty awful from a rhythmic stand point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3259 on: September 02, 2020, 04:00:51 PM »
I think the album sounds good enough. Production has never been a highlight on their albums. When they dropped Accelerator, the first thing that bothered me was ‘that’ snare sound. But now I kinda love it. The production has a pleasant low-end earthy vibe and the highs aren’t as harsh as the previous record. Road Salt records tried to have that 70’s mojo but it just sounded crappy IMP, tinny, harsh and no weight to it at all.

Really enjoy the adventurous sound and mixing on the record and the real drum sounds. Jens Bogren or Nolly are amazing sound wizards, but this has resulted in that lots of modern prog releases sound very similar. I much prefer this looser sound, nowadays. This albums causes no ear fatigue at all.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3260 on: September 02, 2020, 04:48:21 PM »
I think Panther is much better than ItPLoD. ItPLoD might have higher highs (title track and On a Tuesday) but it has a few mediocre songs while pretty much every song on Panther is very good.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #3261 on: September 02, 2020, 04:57:00 PM »
barely rapping and is pretty awful from a rhythmic stand point.

What does that mean

Online Adami

« Reply #3262 on: September 02, 2020, 04:58:07 PM »
barely rapping and is pretty awful from a rhythmic stand point.

What does that mean

That what he’s doing can barely be considered wrapping. There are some moments of genuine flow but it’s mostly him talking with attitude.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3263 on: September 02, 2020, 05:06:58 PM »
the title track is too long for how repetitive it is is the big issue imo, cut it back by 40-60 seconds and i wouldn't be sick of it by the end

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3264 on: September 02, 2020, 10:12:55 PM »
The title track has grown on me a lot and I really like it now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3265 on: September 02, 2020, 10:56:44 PM »
The only thing I didn’t like regarding his rapping was when people who say how a 6 foot whatever white Swedish guy was totally “owning” real rappers on songs like spitfall when that is barely rapping and is pretty awful from a rhythmic stand point.

That was me and I stand by what I said.

And yes, I do listen to rap. I totally think Daniel killed it on Spitfall.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3266 on: September 03, 2020, 01:05:53 AM »
Panther the song is fantastic! Never had any issue with Daniel's "rap" or whatever it is. Like someone said I don't even consider it normal rapping, more like Faith No More style of singing with some flow and attitude.

BTW haha someone just made the comparison with Gone and Never Enough. I didn't even know why someone would compare them. Then I realized the song was obviously exactly that. Somehow I listened to it hundred of times and never understood what he meant even if I had a interpretation I was very happy with. Now the lyrics seems over-pretentious and honestly lost a bit of spark for me. Not meaning that person making the comparison are at fault, just funny how I missed that. It's not hard to see what Daniel means now when I actually focused on the lyrics.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3267 on: September 03, 2020, 01:19:04 AM »
BTW always wondered what people around Daniel thinks about his lyrics, like his family. Obviously Sisters is the most interesting one. How can his wife not be like "waaaaaaaait what did you just sing"? Maybe transparency and "fucking overdosed of honesty" is part of their relationship, but still Sisters is really taking lyrics to a territory I never seen before  ;D

Also "she keeps calling me, I keep hanging up". I wonder who that is. Iconic for me seems to be about how he followed his parents and now he has children that will follow him in the same way. But also about lost friends etc. But still don't see the "she keeps calling" in context.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3268 on: September 03, 2020, 02:32:16 AM »
Also "she keeps calling me, I keep hanging up". I wonder who that is.

Life? Death? The concept of growing up? I don't think it's a real person he's referring to in that track.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3269 on: September 03, 2020, 03:34:30 AM »

Life? Death? The concept of growing up? I don't think it's a real person he's referring to in that track.

I like that interpretation :tup

Offline me7

« Reply #3270 on: September 03, 2020, 04:36:00 AM »
I meant even broader. I also liked how he used it in previous albums. Never understood the hate.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3271 on: September 03, 2020, 04:39:49 AM »
I just got the CD in the mail! (Finally)

Some really cool artwork inside, but I'm especially intrigued by the 'TO BE CONTINUED' at the end of the lyrics section in the booklet.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline me7

« Reply #3272 on: September 03, 2020, 04:55:46 AM »
I listened to an interview a few days ago, Daniel said something about having recorded an album and a half.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3273 on: September 03, 2020, 05:35:23 AM »
I meant even broader. I also liked how he used it in previous albums. Never understood the hate.
Yeah I've never had a problem with it at all. It appears in some form on a lot of their albums so if I'd disliked it I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be nearly as big a PoS fan.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3274 on: September 03, 2020, 07:06:38 AM »

Life and Death are both She...from a child's perspective it's life, and from an Adult it's Death.

The end of the chorus is about Following his Parents, until the day he had a child and now They follow him.

The lyrics "I'm mostly doing fine...you are always on my mind" Are about how his Kids never see him cry and he walks the path of life, but Death is always on his mind.

"On My Way Now" is a way of saying, he's on a path to death. Death, she keeps calling, but he keeps hanging up, not wanting to listen to her talk.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3275 on: September 03, 2020, 11:01:07 AM »
Definitely makes sense, doesn't it? :)
Squ

Offline LordCost

« Reply #3276 on: September 03, 2020, 11:42:49 AM »
I listened to an interview a few days ago, Daniel said something about having recorded an album and a half.
I confirm this, I listened to the same interview. The next release so should be similar to the style of Panther

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3277 on: September 03, 2020, 11:47:35 AM »
Is that the ProgSpace interview?
Squ

Offline LordCost

« Reply #3278 on: September 03, 2020, 01:52:50 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/metalinjection.net/v/s/metalinjection.net/interviews/restless-boy-a-chat-with-pain-of-salvation-mastermind-daniel-gildenlow/amp%3famp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%253D#ampf=

Near the end of this long interview he mentions it, but I had already knew about the fact he has recorded already half of the next album in another audio interview (1h and 30 long more or less) one month before the album came out, but I can't find it now.

I quote here the part of interview:
"Another good thing was that I had too much material, and for some reason, that’s never happened before. Everyone was telling us not to record more than we had to, but I wanted to record all of it anyway. That meant that once Panther was done, it was in the middle of the pandemic, so I couldn’t go to Stockholm for mixing. We had to mix over the phone, using stems. That’s really how the pandemic influenced the final stages of the album. Then, they asked me—I always feel like I want to keep making music when I’m done an album. I’m already in that world mentally. All of a sudden, the label and management asked me to consider writing a new album. I said, “Yeah, I can do that instead. I have half of an album done; that’s how quick I am.” That was nice. Logistically, it didn’t affect us a lot."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 02:07:09 PM by LordCost »

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3279 on: September 03, 2020, 11:33:50 PM »
I might try to throw together a top 25 Pain of Salvation tracks, but I already know that’s going to be very difficult.
Squ

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3280 on: September 04, 2020, 01:46:30 PM »
I like the new album, but does anyone else think the snare drum sounds a little weird?

Online Adami

« Reply #3281 on: September 04, 2020, 01:52:09 PM »
So I listened to the whole album again last but while also reading the lyrics.

First off....WAY better experience. Those are some great lyrics. And I understand some of the lines meaning more in the larger context.

One thing, and this is not a complaint at all, is that ICON feels disconnected. It feels like every song has a certain overall theme and perspective and then ICON is just about something totally different. ICON might be the best on the album and the lyrics may have almost made me cry but you have a whole album about revolutionary and independent energy in a world of complacency and then a song about fear of dying. I wonder what the extra songs not on the album are about.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LordCost

« Reply #3282 on: September 04, 2020, 02:51:42 PM »
I was curious too about Fifi Gruffi (what a weird name) and Unforever, the two bonus tracks.. I did not read any opinion on them, I suppose they are nothing special..

Offline Kram

« Reply #3283 on: September 04, 2020, 03:12:39 PM »
Okay, here we go -

1. The Perfect Element Pt. 1
2. Remedy Lane
3. Entropia
4. In the Passing Light of Day
5. BE
6. One Hour by the Concrete Lake
7. Road Salts One
8. Road Slats Two
9. Scarsick

Alright - I guess I'll be the first to do this.  Yes, it is a bit premature, and I suppose things could change, but I actually feel pretty good about this.

1. The Perfect Element Pt. 1
2. Remedy Lane
3. PANTHER
4. Entropia
5. In the Passing Light of Day
6. BE
7. One Hour by the Concrete Lake
8. Road Salts One
9. Road Slats Two
10. Scarsick

Panther to me is both innovative, fresh and new sounding, yet still distinctly POS.  The production has grown on me and I feel Wait and Icon are two of the best songs they've ever written.  Certainly top 10 songs - maybe top 5 - hell they may be the best 2 songs they've written, they are that good!

Offline Kram

« Reply #3284 on: September 04, 2020, 03:13:51 PM »
I might try to throw together a top 25 Pain of Salvation tracks, but I already know that’s going to be very difficult.

I think this will be very difficult.  Much harder than a top album list

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3285 on: September 04, 2020, 04:16:05 PM »
I was curious too about Fifi Gruffi (what a weird name) and Unforever, the two bonus tracks.. I did not read any opinion on them, I suppose they are nothing special..

Fifi Gruffi is focking weird, Unforever is pretty much an unfinished song.
Squ

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3286 on: September 04, 2020, 04:55:02 PM »
So I listened to the whole album again last but while also reading the lyrics.

First off....WAY better experience. Those are some great lyrics. And I understand some of the lines meaning more in the larger context.

One thing, and this is not a complaint at all, is that ICON feels disconnected. It feels like every song has a certain overall theme and perspective and then ICON is just about something totally different. ICON might be the best on the album and the lyrics may have almost made me cry but you have a whole album about revolutionary and independent energy in a world of complacency and then a song about fear of dying. I wonder what the extra songs not on the album are about.

It's not necessarily a fear of dying. I see it as Death is always around us, sometimes it decides to give us a good close call. We can either accept the charges or Hang Up. That's revolting against death itself. Every day you wake up, it's there in your face, and you give it the biggest middle finger.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3287 on: September 05, 2020, 11:39:39 AM »
I found out which songs Keen To A Fault reminded me of...

Faunts - M4 pt.2
Chroma Key - On The Page
Anathema - Untouchables Pt.1

Throw them all in a blender and you get Keen To A Fault.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3288 on: September 05, 2020, 12:04:46 PM »
1. Remedy Lane
2. The Perfect Element
3. Be
4. Panther
5. Entropia
-Linoleum EP-
6. Scarsick
7. Itplod
8. Ohbtcl
9. Road Salt (both)

RL and TPE are pretty much untouchable. I haven’t listened to BE in full in ages, but I think I might still give it the edge over Panther. Panther sure is a lot more fun and groovy than BE though.

I’m placing OHBTCL quite low because I never managed to get into it aside from the first few tracks. The Road Salt albums I do enjoy once in a while, but I really feel the production hurts those albums a lot. ‘Of Dust’, a short transitional track, is actually by far my favorite aside from the tracks that were already on the Linoleum EP, which was quite good. The Linoleum EP got me quite excited for the Road Salt albums due to awesome tracks like Linoleum, Mortar Grind and the dark, proggy and utterly amazing Gone, but when the albums dropped I was quite disappointed to encounter so many ‘normal’ blues tracks.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 12:34:42 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3289 on: September 05, 2020, 12:28:58 PM »
You missed TPLOD :)
Squ