Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 443714 times)

Offline Kram

Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #3220 on: August 30, 2020, 12:24:10 PM »
Am I the only one thinking that Daniel's voice is in far better shape again? More variable and with a bigger range than on Passing Light and The Sea Within.

Yes, I think his voice sounds better than on Passing Light of Day as well.  Overall I'm really digging this album.  Not sure where it will end up in the rankings yet, but I agree Wait and Icon are some of the best songs they've written in a long time (although ITPLOD was really strong as well).  I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the production though.  It sounds a bit "muddy" or "flat" to my ears.  Especially the drums (and especially after listening to this directly after Terminal Velocity and Portnoy's drum sound).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3221 on: August 30, 2020, 12:38:20 PM »
Am I the only one thinking that Daniel's voice is in far better shape again? More variable and with a bigger range than on Passing Light and The Sea Within.

I hear more Emotion and Passion in his delivery. The subject matter is one he is definitely heartfelt about, based off what I'm hearing in his vocal delivery on this album. It's Akin to his "BE" emotional vocals, and Scarsicks Passionate vocals.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3222 on: August 30, 2020, 01:36:31 PM »
Daniel sounds great on the record, for sure.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3223 on: August 30, 2020, 01:49:29 PM »
I guess there might have still been some level of hangover from his illness when he recorded ITPLOD. I still thought he sounded great on it but yeah he seems to have more strength in his voice again.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3224 on: August 31, 2020, 12:40:49 AM »
Also, this is possibly the best mix / production on any POS album imo. It sounds really great with clear details, distinct sound and good balance. POS isn't really famous in my catalogue for good mixing (at least early on) so I am happy it's becoming better and better! Also thing Léo does a lot of awesome drumming!  :tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3225 on: August 31, 2020, 12:50:26 AM »
I decided to check out the Road Salt albums last night. I've heard a couple of tracks over the years but never really dug into the albums. Perhaps I never gave them a chance because they didn't sound like RL and TPE (my two favourites), so they were a big letdown for me when they were released. There are some nice songs there, actually. So far I prefer Road Salt Two (To The Shoreline, Eleven, 1979, Mortar Grind).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3226 on: August 31, 2020, 01:08:28 AM »
I decided to check out the Road Salt albums last night. I've heard a couple of tracks over the years but never really dug into the albums. Perhaps I never gave them a chance because they didn't sound like RL and TPE (my two favourites), so they were a big letdown for me when they were released. There are some nice songs there, actually. So far I prefer Road Salt Two (To The Shoreline, Eleven, 1979, Mortar Grind).

Also be sure to checkout the EP and extended editions where some songs are longer and two bonus songs. The EP has two of the best Road Salt songs; Gone and If you Wait. Not sure why these aren't part of the albums. Break Darling Break and Of Salt bonus songs are fantastic even if they are more "rough". Of Salt is heartbreakingly beautiful!

All in all I love Road Salt albums if I just trim them a bit. If Road Salt 1&2 and the EP would have been combined to one album with the best songs (yeah subjective I know) it would have been up there with the best albums for sure.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3227 on: August 31, 2020, 01:58:43 AM »
I love the Road Salt albums. Also, I think their change in style compared to other PoS albums is because of production and arrangement decisions to a big part. Some of the songs on there could have easily appeared on one of the band's earlier albums with a little more distortion and noisier drums (Darkness Of Mine, The Deeper Cut).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3228 on: August 31, 2020, 02:51:11 AM »
What would your one disc versions of Road Salt look like?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 05:09:57 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3229 on: August 31, 2020, 04:47:12 AM »
I already done a remix kind a where it's still two CDs which I posted here

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=15931.msg2692089#msg2692089

Modified it slightly since then but always listen to Road Salt using my own version  :)

If Road Salt was just one CD it would most likely look something like this (maybe too long, haven't checked). I just somehow like the idea of it going from some kind of light sound to darker and darker and the flow works better than the actual CDs if I dare say that.

Road Salt
- What She Means to Me
- No Way
- To the Shoreline
- Sisters
- Of Dust
- Sleeping Under the Stars
- Where It Hurts
- If You Wait
- Through the Distance
- Road Salt
- Of Salt
- Gone
- End Credits

Gone is the only perfect ending for Road Salt. Neither Innocent or The Physics of Gridlock works as a satisfying ending while Gone is just, damn.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 04:53:39 AM by Pettor »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3230 on: August 31, 2020, 05:28:54 AM »
You left off Mortar Grind.  One of their best songs IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3231 on: August 31, 2020, 05:44:09 AM »
A lot of people seem to like it here and I am usually very positive to POS songs, but Mortar Grind just doesn't work for me. It's very whiny imo  :-\

The EP version sounds a lot better than the final Road Salt 2 mix that I never appreciated. Road Salt 2 has one of the worst mixes in POS history. It effectively destroys a most of the songs and even 1979 is borderline ok even if the song is great.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3232 on: August 31, 2020, 02:10:00 PM »
Finally listened to Panther and I'm not sure what to make of it yet. Certainly different than ITPLOD but as of now I can't tell if it will grow on me, or if it will end up being mediocre or worse.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3233 on: August 31, 2020, 02:50:18 PM »
Icon and Wait are just fucking great

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #3234 on: August 31, 2020, 07:06:13 PM »
The amount of detail buried in these songs is nuts.  Just noticed the little harmonies in the 2nd verse of Wait. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3235 on: August 31, 2020, 10:09:25 PM »
Just realized it's "I'm doing my best to fight fire with fire", not "Undoing my belt to fight fire with fire" in Accelerator.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3236 on: August 31, 2020, 10:29:49 PM »
 :rollin

i honestly think we need a dedicated "evermind's misheard lyrics" thread

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #3237 on: August 31, 2020, 10:36:05 PM »
I genuinely think that this is the best Pain of Salvation album.  It is some of their most inventive stuff and yet also their most consistent from start to finish.   

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3238 on: August 31, 2020, 11:18:36 PM »
This album certainly is so much more interesting and innovative than most other contemporary progressive metal albums.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3239 on: September 01, 2020, 03:50:38 AM »
Icon is for me their absolute best track since Gone. Great album from start to finish. I just realized I easily prefer it to Scarsick. Not sure if I prefer it over BE, but it's certainly a lot more fun and easier to enjoy. The album's not as amazing as Remedy Lane or The Perfect Element, but they definitely have a lot of that musical and thematical ambition back this time. Also the weird and animalistic side of the band (which is what makes them stand out from other prog metal bands IMO) is back in spades. Restless Boy is properly weird.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Bentower

« Reply #3240 on: September 01, 2020, 04:33:08 AM »
I haven't listened to Gone in a long, long time. I remember liking it, but the thing that didn't really do it for me, besides it paralleling Never Enough lyrically, was the production. Icon works much better in that regard. It also feels like Daniel has gotten more natural at that sludgy vibe.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 07:46:22 AM by Bentower »
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3241 on: September 01, 2020, 05:31:34 AM »
Restless Boy is fantastic. That quintuplet and septuplet groove in the second half is amazing. You don’t hear enough of that sort of stuff in prog.
Squ

Offline pfillion

« Reply #3242 on: September 01, 2020, 05:45:59 AM »

Offline killer_rose

« Reply #3243 on: September 01, 2020, 10:04:52 AM »
Anyone else feel like "Keen To a Fault" would sound extremely great live? It's such a grower and the "i was born for multithreading, born to the stars, born to dream" has to be one of my favorite vocal lines in the album.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3244 on: September 01, 2020, 01:03:08 PM »
Anyone else feel like "Keen To a Fault" would sound extremely great live? It's such a grower and the "i was born for multithreading, born to the stars, born to dream" has to be one of my favorite vocal lines in the album.

That's the top track for me on Panther. It sounds like a tough one to play live, and it would be great live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3245 on: September 01, 2020, 01:07:12 PM »
I'd say Keen to a Fault is my least favorite, but maybe that'll change.

But yea, this is a REALLY great album. Definitely not their best ever, but really amazing.

The only thing I would change is the production. I can see what he was going for and mostly did a good job, but I think this would've been a great album for Steven Wilson to produce.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3246 on: September 01, 2020, 01:22:38 PM »

But yea, this is a REALLY great album. Definitely not their best ever, but really amazing.

The only thing I would change is the production. I can see what he was going for and mostly did a good job, but I think this would've been a great album for Steven Wilson to produce.

What would you have changed? I love the production and mixing on this one. Sounds really organic while still having a distinct sound.

BTW UNFUTURE gives me vibes back to One Hour By The Concrete Lake. That "but what have we burned" near the ending is nearly The Big Machine material  :smiley:

Offline Adami

« Reply #3247 on: September 01, 2020, 01:25:32 PM »

What would you have changed? I love the production and mixing on this one. Sounds really organic while still having a distinct sound.

BTW UNFUTURE gives me vibes back to One Hour By The Concrete Lake. That "but what have we burned" near the ending is nearly The Big Machine material  :smiley:

The drums mostly and I would’ve cleaned it up a bit. It’s not awful, just not as good as it could be. Which is par for the course for POS.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3248 on: September 01, 2020, 01:39:36 PM »

The drums mostly and I would’ve cleaned it up a bit. It’s not awful, just not as good as it could be. Which is par for the course for POS.

Fair enough, I kinda like the layers and love the drums.

Steven's Personal Shopper song was my first disappointment production wise (kinda like the song however). It's too clean and also a bit cheap sounding? I really wouldnt have want anything like that on this album.

Offline Kram

« Reply #3249 on: September 01, 2020, 03:18:51 PM »
Wait might not only be the best song I've heard from POS in a while, it might be the best song I've heard from anyone in awhile!  Wow, what a song.

Offline Kram

« Reply #3250 on: September 01, 2020, 03:22:32 PM »

I agree with you but the production is kind of growing on me.  I would like the drums to be a bit "crisper" - but I think the treatment they have them helps to give this album it's unique identity

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3251 on: September 02, 2020, 01:42:57 PM »
I listened to the new album out of curiosity and (aside from the title track, gross) that was the most positive experience I've had with this band yet. Might actually revisit this one.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Adami

« Reply #3252 on: September 02, 2020, 01:47:25 PM »

I agree with you but the production is kind of growing on me.  I would like the drums to be a bit "crisper" - but I think the treatment they have them helps to give this album it's unique identity

Yea. I'd say the production is growing on me too. It doesn't detract, I just feel it can be better.

As far as the drums go, I think this video alone makes my point to some degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URYPi9Elv2g
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3253 on: September 02, 2020, 02:44:11 PM »
Am I the only one here who loves the title track? :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3254 on: September 02, 2020, 02:54:15 PM »
Am I the only one here who loves the title track? :lol

No. :)