Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 443658 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #2905 on: December 30, 2017, 10:29:20 PM »
It does do okay amongst their catalog, but I was thinking about it, and I still wouldn't rank it above any of their 1st 4 records, and maybe not Be.  But I guess that says more about how good those other albums are.

I would definitely check out Entropia and One Hour by the Concrete Lake when you get a chance.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2906 on: December 30, 2017, 10:49:23 PM »
I’d probably put the new album above One Hour (slightly) but below Entropia, Be, TPE, and Remedy Lane
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2907 on: December 31, 2017, 02:22:10 AM »
Passing Light is in 4th place behind Perfect Element, Remedy Lane and Entropia.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2908 on: January 01, 2018, 09:51:21 AM »
I'd put it above One Hour and Scarsick but that's about it.  Like it quite a lot but it's certainly not a favorite.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2909 on: January 01, 2018, 10:49:09 AM »
Perfect element is definitely my favorite, but then I rank passing right up there with Remedy, Entropia, and concrete lake. Those 5 total are the ones I actually listen to on a regular basis.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2910 on: January 03, 2018, 04:23:06 AM »
Realized The Passing Light of Day is a song I am sad will only be heard within the prog-sphere of people. It's absolutely a universally enjoyable song imo and so beautiful and meaningful I wish more people could hear it. It breaks me every time and I am sure a lot of people can understand and find a personal interpretation of it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2911 on: January 03, 2018, 11:08:17 AM »
that seems to be true, but it's weird how I honestly don't find the title track to be that amazing. It just kind of goes on and on and never fully goes anywhere. Whereas nearly every other record they've managed to include 1 of if not the best track as the closers.

I find On a Tuesday to be a lot better actually.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2912 on: April 11, 2018, 11:56:05 PM »
I forgot about the Pain of Salvation documentary so I looked for new episodes. Last one I saw was There Will Be Blood from season 2. The interlude and the two episodes after were painfully boring. The Vanity of Man and Glitter and Road Salt are about a Swedish music award show. I get that the band needed exposure but it was kind of lame for "the band" to choose a song where the keyboard player mimes playing while Gildenlow sings and Halgren kneels on the floor with his guitar.

I'm about to watch episode 12 of season 2 which is called The Duel. Wish me luck.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2913 on: June 07, 2018, 11:59:17 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Painofsalvation/posts/?ref=page_internal

According to Facebook work on a new album has begun:

”Starting on a new album is like entering a hadron collider. Staying in one piece defeats the purpose.” /Daniel

:metal :metal :metal

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2914 on: June 08, 2018, 12:10:46 AM »
Sexcellent!

Offline Adami

« Reply #2915 on: June 08, 2018, 12:24:22 AM »
Already? Damn!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2916 on: June 08, 2018, 01:36:01 AM »
If they keep (or even surpass) the level of ITPLOD the record can't come soon enough. But I think if Daniel is now in the demoing stage, the record will probably not be released until next year.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2917 on: June 08, 2018, 02:47:35 AM »
What's the lineup for this one? :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2918 on: June 08, 2018, 05:23:20 AM »
If they keep (or even surpass) the level of ITPLOD the record can't come soon enough. But I think if Daniel is now in the demoing stage, the record will probably not be released until next year.

I don't think the next album will be anywhere near as good as the last one based on the personnel decisions made.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2919 on: June 08, 2018, 05:46:06 AM »

Problably something like this

Dan The Man: Vocals
Danny G.: Guitars
D'animal: Drums
Daniel Low: Bass

Mike Portnoy: Backing Vocals

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2920 on: June 08, 2018, 06:20:03 AM »

Problably something like this

Dan The Man: Vocals
Danny G.: Guitars
D'animal: Drums
Daniel Low: Bass

Mike Portnoy: Claves on the last track

FTFY
any rock can be made to roll

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #2921 on: June 08, 2018, 04:05:16 PM »
Given most of the compositions have lots of Ragnar's input (who's a brilliant composer and brought freshness to PoS' sound), it'll be very hard to surpass ITPLOD's quality level. Unless Gildenlöw returns to his uniqueness from the first albums.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2922 on: June 08, 2018, 05:11:33 PM »
My initial reaction to ITPLOD was "Awesome!"  But....  like teflon, it didn't stick .  I was off of it in a matter of a couple days, which in my world means not that great.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2923 on: June 09, 2018, 05:55:10 AM »
My initial reaction to ITPLOD was "Awesome!"  But....  like teflon, it didn't stick .  I was off of it in a matter of a couple days, which in my world means not that great.

I had the same reaction and then there came a time when I just didn't have the urge to listen to it again. It wasn't until December last year that I started listening to it again. Then it finally "really" clicked for me. Love the raw energy and honest feelings on the album.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2924 on: June 09, 2018, 06:23:11 AM »
I have kind of a special connection to ITPLOD.

It's about Daniel's illness and his stay in the hospital.

I listened to the record a lot last year while I stayed with my little girl at the hospital. Especially at night, when you can't sleep and only the emergency lights are on and you're lying on a matress beside the sickbed of your daughter and the machines that monitor the heartbeat, breathing rate etc. make quiet ping noises, then this record hits you really hard.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #2925 on: June 09, 2018, 01:11:09 PM »
ITPLOD really did not stick at all for me and would probably be in my bottom 3 with Concrete Lake and Scarsick.  I find it most of it to be pretty bland, especially in the middle between Full Throttle Tribe and Angels.  I find the whole tone of the album to be totally lacking in color and diversity which is kind of a strange new problem that they never had before.  And maybe that was the point because of the bleak subject matter but it doesn't stop me from enjoying it much less.  Plus I don't understand why they picked 2018 to all of the sudden start chugging detuned riffs all the time when it's been done to fucking death by all their peers for over a decade.  I thought that perhaps they avoided that all these years for a reason.  Maybe that's the Ragnar influence coming in, in which case I'm honestly glad he's gone. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #2926 on: June 09, 2018, 01:58:06 PM »
I loved the last album. Minus the angels song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2927 on: June 09, 2018, 02:58:00 PM »
ITPLOD really did not stick at all for me and would probably be in my bottom 3 with Concrete Lake and Scarsick.  I find it most of it to be pretty bland, especially in the middle between Full Throttle Tribe and Angels.  I find the whole tone of the album to be totally lacking in color and diversity which is kind of a strange new problem that they never had before.  And maybe that was the point because of the bleak subject matter but it doesn't stop me from enjoying it much less.  Plus I don't understand why they picked 2018 to all of the sudden start chugging detuned riffs all the time when it's been done to fucking death by all their peers for over a decade.  I thought that perhaps they avoided that all these years for a reason.  Maybe that's the Ragnar influence coming in, in which case I'm honestly glad he's gone.

I heard a few of Zolberg's solo stuff and it didn't sound anything like The Chug.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #2928 on: June 09, 2018, 03:39:51 PM »

I heard a few of Zolberg's solo stuff and it didn't sound anything like The Chug.

His band Sign had a good bit of Chug to it.  I know he's more than a Chugger but it sounded like a lot of the format for the heavier songs was Daniel playing drums while Ragnar came up with riffs.  So I do think he might have brought the Chug in, although obviously nothing in the band gets by without Gildenlow's editorial approval. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2929 on: June 10, 2018, 02:02:08 AM »

I know exactly what you mean! But in my opinion, that's a STRENGTH of the album! It sounds dark, it doesn't look to the right or to the left, it's uncompromising.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2930 on: June 10, 2018, 03:43:53 AM »
ITPLOD really did not stick at all for me and would probably be in my bottom 3 with Concrete Lake and Scarsick.  I find it most of it to be pretty bland, especially in the middle between Full Throttle Tribe and Angels.  I find the whole tone of the album to be totally lacking in color and diversity which is kind of a strange new problem that they never had before. 

So would you say... it plods? :neverusethis:

I still like ITPLOD and spin it from time to time. Very solid album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2931 on: June 10, 2018, 06:15:42 AM »
I haven't listened to the album in a while but I do still think the title track is one of the best they've done - if not the best. In terms of emotion and a song that hits the feels, it's their crowning achievement IMO.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2932 on: June 10, 2018, 06:18:17 AM »
I haven't listened to the album in a while but I do still think the title track is one of the best they've done - if not the best. In terms of emotion and a song that hits the feels, it's their crowning achievement IMO.

I agree with you, though I wouldn't go as far as saying it's their best. In any case, considering how emotive the rest of Pain of Salvation's music really is, that's saying a lot. The title track is fantastic.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2933 on: June 10, 2018, 01:01:27 PM »
I mean as far as their BEST song I think it's a bit up in the air but emotionally I think it is. Depends what type of song you're looking for I guess.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2934 on: June 17, 2018, 08:43:00 PM »

His band Sign had a good bit of Chug to it.  I know he's more than a Chugger but it sounded like a lot of the format for the heavier songs was Daniel playing drums while Ragnar came up with riffs.  So I do think he might have brought the Chug in, although obviously nothing in the band gets by without Gildenlow's editorial approval.

Ah I didn't know he had a band too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2935 on: June 21, 2018, 04:32:06 PM »

Same. After a couple of listens I didn't really rate it at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2936 on: November 21, 2018, 10:29:11 AM »
Just downloaded the Remix version of Remedy Lane, which is one of my top3 albums of all time.  I must say I really enjoy the remix version!  If you haven't checked it out and you like RL I would definitly check it out!!!

Offline Adami

« Reply #2937 on: November 21, 2018, 10:33:47 AM »
Just downloaded the Remix version of Remedy Lane, which is one of my top3 albums of all time.  I must say I really enjoy the remix version!  If you haven't checked it out and you like RL I would definitly check it out!!!

The remix is great. I don't even listen to the original mix anymore.

I'd favor all of their pre-BE albums getting a similar remix.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2938 on: November 21, 2018, 12:17:03 PM »

The remix is great. I don't even listen to the original mix anymore.

I'd favor all of their pre-BE albums getting a similar remix.
Agreed!  I'd love to see The Perfect Element treated the same!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2939 on: November 21, 2018, 02:35:09 PM »

The remix is very well done. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.