Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 451100 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #2485 on: November 19, 2016, 12:45:08 PM »
Well if you wanna equate me telling you that I disagree with your opinion to telling you that you're not allowed to have it that's not really my fault after all.

You can disagree, that's cool. I even said it was cool. You said my opinion was silly to have, that's not disagreeing, it's completely disregarding it and saying it's not an opinion worth having.

I don't even care about debating it. Some of us are cool with it, some of us aren't. There really isn't anywhere to take this, I'm not trying to convince you to not like it. I said it was cool that you did. I was just hoping to get a similar amount of respect for my opinion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2486 on: November 19, 2016, 12:52:04 PM »
Regardless of its origins, the song doesn't do much for me. But they haven't released any new material that has impressed me in a very, very long time, so I guess it's not surprising.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2487 on: November 19, 2016, 12:53:13 PM »
You can disagree, that's cool. I even said it was cool. You said my opinion was silly to have, that's not disagreeing, it's completely disregarding it and saying it's not an opinion worth having.

I don't even care about debating it. Some of us are cool with it, some of us aren't. There really isn't anywhere to take this, I'm not trying to convince you to not like it. I said it was cool that you did. I was just hoping to get a similar amount of respect for my opinion.

I respect your opinion and challenged it because I wanted to know the reasoning behind it.  Sorry if my words implied otherwise.  Cut me some slack I'm new here.

Online Adami

« Reply #2488 on: November 19, 2016, 12:53:44 PM »
I actually thought the song was pretty cool. Not amazing, but pretty good. Although I actually think the original version is a little better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #2489 on: November 19, 2016, 01:04:32 PM »

I respect your opinion and challenged it because I wanted to know the reasoning behind it.  Sorry if my words implied otherwise.  Cut me some slack I'm new here.

Definitely an improvement!

See what I did there? I took another quote of mine from something else and repurposed it.

:yarr
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2490 on: November 19, 2016, 01:11:20 PM »
"I'm new here." :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2491 on: November 19, 2016, 01:16:57 PM »
I lol'ed.

Good to see you though, Seth!

New song is cool - didn't have a big impact on me but I often find it hard to judge songs out of context, especially with PoS.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2492 on: November 20, 2016, 11:45:31 AM »
I quite liked the new song. Not mindblowing or anything, but I thought it was pretty good. Still, I hope this album has more to offer, because I have high expectations for this one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2493 on: November 20, 2016, 12:07:51 PM »
Of course I couldn't resist.  >:(

Honestly, I have no desire to listen to it again. But I said the same think about Road Salt I & II. Now I love them.
any rock can be made to roll

Online Adami

« Reply #2494 on: November 20, 2016, 12:12:23 PM »
I actually really like that main melody that I assume is played on a keyboard? Just a cool melody/rhythm to it. The rest of the song I can lose.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2495 on: November 20, 2016, 12:25:11 PM »
Sounds to me like a song that can work really well in the context of a concept album.

Doesn't do much for me as a single, but most of my favourite albums don't have great singles.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2496 on: November 21, 2016, 12:52:07 AM »
Yeah, can't really judge it without the whole. I'm excited! And slightly aroused by the necrophilia.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2497 on: November 21, 2016, 01:24:03 AM »
Director:
- So, he's going to play dead and you're going to mount him and put your fingers in his mouth and dry hump his "corpse".
Female actor (thoughts) "What did I just walk into, note to fire agent"
- OK.
DG (thoughts) "Giggity!"

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2498 on: November 21, 2016, 06:34:05 AM »
Daniel sure loves to put himself in awkward positions (giggety!) in their videos. :lol

And yeah, I wasn't aware this was a Ragnar song they just copied and pasted. Seems weird but whatever.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2499 on: November 21, 2016, 06:41:20 AM »
Sorry for double post, but somebody already made an acoustic cover of Meaningless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwQTc-fqy8c&sns=fb

Crazy high production value for something that was put together so quickly.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2500 on: November 21, 2016, 07:36:24 AM »
Daniel sure loves to put himself in awkward positions (giggety!) in their videos. :lol

And yeah, I wasn't aware this was a Ragnar song they just copied and pasted. Seems weird but whatever.

I have no idea who Ragnar is...... but after watching the video and reading up on this song, Daniel G is no longer the most interesting member of Pain of Salvation, which to me is unbelievable!

Online Adami

« Reply #2501 on: November 24, 2016, 10:45:01 PM »
Sorry for double post, but somebody already made an acoustic cover of Meaningless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwQTc-fqy8c&sns=fb

Well, they did have 4 years to learn it ;)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline killer_rose

« Reply #2502 on: November 25, 2016, 12:38:44 AM »
Just got a press promo copy of their upcoming album. I will not be sharing any of it, so spare your requests. The good thing is, I'm open to answering any questions about it, as long as you give me some time. Please, avoid questions like "how is it?", "is it their best/worst?" - because that's slightly personal and depends on everybody's taste. I'm more open to deeper/more specific questions.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2503 on: November 25, 2016, 12:47:09 AM »

Well, they did have 4 years to learn it ;)
:lol I guess that's true.

Anybody know where Ragnar's earlier version is? Is it available somewhere?
Just got a press promo copy of their upcoming album. I will not be sharing any of it, so spare your requests. The good thing is, I'm open to answering any questions about it, as long as you give me some time. Please, avoid questions like "how is it?", "is it their best/worst?" - because that's slightly personal and depends on everybody's taste. I'm more open to deeper/more specific questions.
Does it sounds more like classic PoS like they claim? The descriptions I've read makes me think of Remedy Lane, would you say that it's comparable to that album? Does Ragnar have more vocal lead parts?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2504 on: November 25, 2016, 12:48:08 AM »
how long is it

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2505 on: November 25, 2016, 04:24:49 AM »
Is the new single any sort of accurate representation of the entire album?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2506 on: November 25, 2016, 12:39:37 PM »
how long is it
On a Tuesday 10:22
Tongue of God 4:53
Meaningless 4:47
Silent Gold 3:23
Full Throttle Tribe 9:05
Reasons 4:45
Angels of Broken Things 6:24
The Taming of a Beast 6:33
If This Is the End 6:03
The Passing Light of Day 15:31

total 71:46

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2507 on: November 25, 2016, 12:43:10 PM »
How are the vocal duties split? And does Ragnar sing most of the high/hard parts?

Offline killer_rose

« Reply #2508 on: November 26, 2016, 01:18:30 AM »
Does it sounds more like classic PoS like they claim? The descriptions I've read makes me think of Remedy Lane, would you say that it's comparable to that album? Does Ragnar have more vocal lead parts?

It does sound more like classic PoS in a way because it's much heavier than Road Salt (actually it just might be their heaviest album ever). But still, I wouldn't say it's a duplicate of any of their other releases. It's not Remedy Lane 2.0 - that's not what you should expect but then again they don't have two albums that sound absolutely the same (except for the parts of Road Salt, but I count them as one project/album). There are some nice references to Remedy Lane (mostly lyrical) that will satisfy the most hardcore fans/nerds. Ragnar has a fair amount of vocals but in the end it's Daniel who stands in the center of the record.

Is the new single any sort of accurate representation of the entire album?

I wouldn't say so. It's a part of this whole puzzle but there's so much more to the album than what you heard so far. It was the same for most of their other first singles, right?

How are the vocal duties split? And does Ragnar sing most of the high/hard parts?

Probably 80% Daniel and 20 % Ragnar. Ragnar sings most of the high parts but there are some other hard parts that are not high - lyrics sung in an original/staccato way (like Fandango's verses) that are sung/screamed by Daniel. It's actually not an album of many high tones if you know what I mean - but it's an album of beautiful/heartfelt melodies.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2509 on: November 26, 2016, 06:55:49 AM »
Heaviest album ever?
That's really interesting. At the moment I'm imagining heavy songs in the style of Used, Foreword, Revival, Handful Of Nothing with their new sound

Offline killer_rose

« Reply #2510 on: November 26, 2016, 07:02:54 AM »
Heaviest album ever?
That's really interesting. At the moment I'm imagining heavy songs in the style of Used, Foreword, Revival, Handful Of Nothing with their new sound

I guess you won't be disappointed. Btw, second single coming out by the end of December and it's gonna be a HEAVY one!  ;)

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2511 on: November 26, 2016, 12:51:22 PM »
 :o

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2512 on: November 27, 2016, 03:44:34 AM »
I don't really classify much of what POS has done as heavy, but saying that it could be their heaviest album yet has resparked my interest a little.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2513 on: November 27, 2016, 03:58:03 AM »
But remember that bands always have these "hook phrases" when promoting a new album, to do exactly that: hook you in. Then the album comes and more often than not it's not *quite* as up there as the band's pre-release statements would suggest.

Offline killer_rose

« Reply #2514 on: November 27, 2016, 05:32:21 AM »
But remember that bands always have these "hook phrases" when promoting a new album, to do exactly that: hook you in. Then the album comes and more often than not it's not *quite* as up there as the band's pre-release statements would suggest.

True that. This time it's heavy though... Like almost djent-y riffs and breakdowns here and there. :)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2515 on: November 27, 2016, 07:40:34 AM »

True that. This time it's heavy though... Like almost djent-y riffs and breakdowns here and there. :)

Really now? That's interesting! :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2516 on: November 27, 2016, 09:30:40 AM »
Wow, really like the sound of the new song. Hopefully the whole album will kick some serious ass!

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2517 on: November 27, 2016, 12:34:13 PM »
I relisten the single and I really like it, I was not impressed after the first listen. As Adami I'm a bit disappointed it is basically a cover of Ragnar's band, even if it sound 100% Pain Of Salvation.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2518 on: November 27, 2016, 12:36:48 PM »
Spoken part gave me strong TPE/Remedy Lane vibe which is instant hype to me :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline killer_rose

« Reply #2519 on: November 27, 2016, 12:38:51 PM »
I relisten the single and I really like it, I was not impressed after the first listen. As Adami I'm a bit disappointed it is basically a cover of Ragnar's band, even if it sound 100% Pain Of Salvation.

I get the initial reaction but I believe they made the right choice with that single because this way they left so many surprises for the full listening experience. As a part of the album "Meaningless" sounds fresh and right on spot and there's a great reprise/reference to it later in the album (kinda like all the reprises/referencing melodies in Remedy Lane). It's an album that you're gonna need to listen to many times in order to get all the hiding brilliant details. Can't wait for you all to hear it! And btw - "If This Is The End" + the title track serve as such an emotional final punch. I find myself so moved every time I listen to it.