Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 443944 times)

Offline petrucci07

Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #1505 on: November 14, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »
I actually think that "BE" has one of the most concrete concept in terms of narrative.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1506 on: November 14, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1507 on: November 14, 2011, 07:38:38 PM »
well shit, shows how little i know.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1508 on: November 15, 2011, 10:20:50 PM »
track-by-track:

Road Salt Theme: no it's not

Softly She Cries: great opener,  solid song but replaying that entire "road salt theme" about 4 minutes into the album kinda defeats the purpose...

Conditioned: fun song, though the upbeat nature seems rather out of place on this album... excusable since it's so early I guess

Healing Now: oh yes, I love this song.

To The Shoreline: Why wasn't there anything this awesome on RS1?

Eleven: I dunno, every time I'm listening to this song I dig it but I always remember it as being kinda meh... it's a good song, though

1979: Yeah this is pretty great too... this is much better than RS1 for sure

The Deeper Cut: Probably in my top 10 PoS songs... well, maybe not, but it comes close. Definitely best on the album.

Mortar Grind: This sounds kinda like Eleven, except not as good... wasn't this one written first, too? Still not bad though.

Through The Distance: Not as strong as 1979 but it's still a great softer piece

The Physics of Gridlock: This WOULD be the best song... except the French part feels like dragging it out too long, and it's anticlimactic as well. But the first two sections are AMAZING.

End Credits: I like this one a lot more than the Road Salt Theme because, well, it's a proper medley, while that one is most certainly not... ending with the theme again though is probably the worst thing they could've done.

Solid album, doesn't compare to BE and earlier at all but it's better than RS1 and Scarsick.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #1509 on: November 16, 2011, 01:24:34 AM »
I just had to double check your post because it is so close to my feelings I thought I must have written it  :lol.

Agreed on pretty much everything. Ending on the starting theme does annoy me because I have the album on in the car and then I hear the exact same thing twice when the cd starts again and then the melody is there again in the next song.

Also agreed Eleven and Mortar Grind are certainly the weak points yet I enjoy them ok when I listen to them? The french part in The Physics of Gridlock I already spoke about but that is easily the worst part of the album. The track is great otherwise.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1510 on: November 16, 2011, 02:55:38 AM »
End Credits: I like this one a lot more than the Road Salt Theme because, well, it's a proper medley, while that one is most certainly not... ending with the theme again though is probably the worst thing they could've done.

Just a bit curious, could you explain why you think so?
Personally I think it's quite nice, leaves a feeling that the 'journey' is pretty much over, that it finishes where it started, sorta like a long trip, and then coming home. :P

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1511 on: November 16, 2011, 05:54:01 AM »
The only silly thing is, the theme doesn't show up anywhere in RS1. It makes RS2 feel like it's own piece, and not the second part of the original. Granted, What She Means to Me is a brilliant opener, so I don't think I'd switch it around, but it was a weird decision on Daniel's part.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #1512 on: November 16, 2011, 06:36:58 AM »
The french part is fine. The Theme songs are pointless, and as Ulti says, it's not on RS1.

What She Means to Me is far better anyway.

Offline indalo

« Reply #1513 on: November 16, 2011, 07:47:23 AM »
I will see them in three days  :D But is very sad they will only play 30 minutes  :-[ They'll have not much time so no great covers... :(

I think RSPT is a great album. Loved it the first time I heard it and still loving it. Amazing  :o

And I'll say the same I said in the Opeth thread: What about the merchandising? Very expensive? Tour shirts?
Sorry for my bad english!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1514 on: November 16, 2011, 10:32:04 AM »
I like the way Daniel handles this on facebook, in reference to looking for a new guitarist:

"Alessandro Cammarota You should change the name of the band in "Daniel Gildenlow's Project"... it would be more appropriate.. :)"

"Daniel Gildenlöw ‎@ Alessandro: sure, but I guess I should have done it back in 1991 already."
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1515 on: November 16, 2011, 08:21:46 PM »
i'm surprised how poorly Eleven seems to rate amongst the folks in this thread...aside from being awesome the whole way through, i'd point out that, besides Conditioned, it's probably the most upbeat track on there (musically and melodically, if not lyrically), not to mention the only song where they kinda "go off" on a fun jam (only real instrumental section on the album sans the bookends).

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1516 on: November 17, 2011, 03:15:37 AM »
I like the way Daniel handles this on facebook, in reference to looking for a new guitarist:

"Alessandro Cammarota You should change the name of the band in "Daniel Gildenlow's Project"... it would be more appropriate.. :)"

"Daniel Gildenlöw ‎@ Alessandro: sure, but I guess I should have done it back in 1991 already."

Holy shit. Daniel has really become one self-absorbed and arrogant dude. Kinda sad to see how he's transformed since I got into the band.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1517 on: November 17, 2011, 05:20:24 AM »
You're getting that NOW?  :lol
I thought it was quite clear that he was a bit of a douche since ages ago, but apparently not... he definitely falls under the 'pretentious'-category.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to meet him and he's probably nice too, but he has the highest thoughts of himself. :P

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #1518 on: November 17, 2011, 05:32:52 AM »
I thought it was quite clear that he was a bit of a douche since ages ago, but apparently not... he definitely falls under the 'pretentious'-category.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to meet him and he's probably nice too, but he has the highest thoughts of himself. :P

Why is he pretentious? He's probably being himself, at all times.

He has a high opinion of himself, so what? I have a high opinion of the music he makes.

He probably wouldn't be the same musician otherwise.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1519 on: November 17, 2011, 05:36:44 AM »

Holy shit. Daniel has really become one self-absorbed and arrogant dude. Kinda sad to see how he's transformed since I got into the band.

He's said some other questionably arrogant things, but I really don't get what's so horrible about the way he put it here.  Pain of Salvation has always more or less been the Daniel Gildenlow project, and he's just making the point that things haven't really changed at all in that regard.  Not too terribly arrogant, I don't think. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1520 on: November 17, 2011, 05:43:42 AM »
I'd say he's pretentious because the music he makes himself is the best, and nothing else comes close.
Maybe he has become more "normal" now, or had a change in personality, but when I read old interviews, he just comes off as a very cocky and arrogant musician.

I specifically recall an interview where he talks about One Hour... being his least favorite PoS-album, but proceeds to say "but it's still more original then most of the music out there".
Maybe he's right, but coming from the artist himself, that just sounds rather arrogant.
It's not the only example of him praising his own music and bashing a lot of other things either, he said something about Progressive-music, and he said that he stopped listening to Progressive Metal/Rock back when Awake was released, because everything since has sounded the same.
Guess what, PoS is also a part of that scene, so then he probably thinks that they haven't changed either?  ;)

And yeah, you might have a point that we PoS-fans do hold their music very high, but that still doesn't change the fact that he's rather arrogant about it. :P
A lot of artists has confidence, we have the classic "our new album is awesome"-scenario, but to bash so much else in music, and praise your own music so much, especially seeing as PoS barely goes around economically, would have been another scenario if they were the biggest band in the world and had tons of cash, but despite being so much better then everything, they're still smaller then a band like Opeth (who they are opening for this tour), despite Daniel Gildenlöw pretty much looking down on them.  :biggrin:

Also, this isn't meant as a bash-post, I still really like Daniel, but he's quite... special.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1521 on: November 17, 2011, 06:43:25 AM »
I don't want to comment on Daniel personally, because in fact, I rather find his humor and ways of expressing himself quite refreshing (although he's no Mikael Akerfeld in that regard).

What I grew pretty tired of though, especially in the periode of 'BE' was the totally overblown hyping the 'concept'. The 'dig deeper and you'll find more treasures' that were displayed in artwork and especially on the website, promising 'all kinds of info to come'. Well, for starters, you couldn't even become a member of the website because they wouldn't even accept new members for over 6 months after the fact. Yes, the audiocommentary to that dvd was funny, the performance is greeat and the extra's ....ok, I guess. But don't act like it's the 'bees knees' and golden fountain of knowledge or something. Especially when you can't even participate in all the fun. Yes, it was a clever concept and there are awesome songs on there, but why not just stick to making very good music and leaving out all the hype stuff?

I loved Remedy Lane when it came out and played it to death, marvelous cd, the same goes for the other three first cd's.
But after that things went pretty much downhill, with Scarsick barely rating a A- in my book.

I still don't know what to think of Road salt, which also came with 'interesting' artwork. Well, the covers looked good and there were some great pics,
but other than that: where's the unity of the 'concept'? Or do we just have to 'use our imagination' ? A drinking party at a bonfire with singalong, a couple being buried in the dirt and a couple making out in front of a window.....gee. Conceptual continuity, eat your heart out!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #1522 on: November 17, 2011, 11:09:39 AM »
Honesty, he's never once bothered me with his comments.

I know prog is full of these down-to-earth, humble musicians, and DG might seem different or more out-spoken, but how is that being pretentious? He believes in himself and his music. At the end of the day, he's just a man with an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

I listen to his music and I either enjoy what I hear, or I don't. It would take far more than having a strong opinion or being pompous, to put me off a good musician.

I'm sure if everyone here was famous, and thousands of fans could track your every facebook update or forum post, you, yourself, would come across as a bit of an arsehole. There's plenty floating about on the internet. Take your pick.

Unless you know the man personally, I don't see how you can judge him. Same goes for anyone else.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1523 on: November 17, 2011, 11:14:26 AM »
After one listen of the new album I don't really know what to think... I'll need to listen to it again. The ending part in french might sounds exotic if you don't speak french but he sounds a bit goofy there for me.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #1524 on: November 17, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »
I don't want to comment on Daniel personally, because in fact, I rather find his humor and ways of expressing himself What I grew pretty tired of though, especially in the periode of 'BE' was the totally overblown hyping the 'concept'. The 'dig deeper and you'll find more treasures' that were displayed in artwork and especially on the website, promising 'all kinds of info to come'. Well, for starters, you couldn't even become a member of the website because they wouldn't even accept new members for over 6 months after the fact. Yes, the audiocommentary to that dvd was funny, the performance is greeat and the extra's ....ok, I guess. But don't act like it's the 'bees knees' and golden fountain of knowledge or something. Especially when you can't even participate in all the fun. Yes, it was a clever concept and there are awesome songs on there, but why not just stick to making very good music and leaving out all the hype stuff?

TL;DR: I DON'T LIKE THE CONCEPT

I still don't know what to think of Road salt, which also came with 'interesting' artwork. Well, the covers looked good and there were some great pics,
but other than that: where's the unity of the 'concept'? Or do we just have to 'use our imagination' ? A drinking party at a bonfire with singalong, a couple being buried in the dirt and a couple making out in front of a window.....gee. Conceptual continuity, eat your heart out!

TL;DR: WHERE'S THE CONCEPT

Offline faemir

« Reply #1525 on: November 17, 2011, 02:38:07 PM »
After one listen of the new album I don't really know what to think... I'll need to listen to it again. The ending part in french might sounds exotic if you don't speak french but he sounds a bit goofy there for me.

It's not a case of being exotic - he specifically chose french because of how it naturally lends itself.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1526 on: November 17, 2011, 03:07:17 PM »

It's not a case of being exotic - he specifically chose french because of how it naturally lends itself.

It sounds weird either way.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1527 on: November 17, 2011, 03:10:48 PM »
i'm surprised how poorly Eleven seems to rate amongst the folks in this thread...aside from being awesome the whole way through, i'd point out that, besides Conditioned, it's probably the most upbeat track on there (musically and melodically, if not lyrically), not to mention the only song where they kinda "go off" on a fun jam (only real instrumental section on the album sans the bookends).

ya, pain of occupation, you hit the nail on the head.

...i loved this song right from the get-go. i just wish there was a bit more instru-jam on the two road salt albums.

Offline faemir

« Reply #1528 on: November 17, 2011, 03:37:21 PM »

Care to elaborate? sounds fine to me.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1529 on: November 17, 2011, 03:49:42 PM »

Care to elaborate? sounds fine to me.

Maybe it's just because I speak french, but to me it sound forced and his tone is far from natural. I've only listened to it once though so maybe I'll get used to it.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1530 on: November 17, 2011, 03:59:15 PM »
For a non-native french speaker I thought it was pretty good. Still seems a bit forced indeed, but I really like it :).

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1531 on: November 18, 2011, 01:20:01 AM »
Well, what I can say about the music on Road salt 2 is that it's definitely more coherent and more balanced than the first Road salt.
What I really liked about RS 1 was the upbeat, almost joyous sounds of the first 2 songs.  On 2 there's some of that, but it's a lot more diverse.

It's not that the music is BAD, it's just that I think I'm having a lot more trouble converting to the new musical direction then I thought I would.

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1532 on: November 18, 2011, 01:34:34 AM »
I'm not quite sure what to think of the french-part.

I see it like this: I really like the part itself, but it feels sorta random, sorta like Daniel thinking: "hey, let's take the arguably best song on the new album, and then put in a weird section that some people will hate", don't get me wrong because as I said, I do like the part myself, but French? :P
He could have done the part in English and it would have been just as good.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1533 on: November 18, 2011, 03:57:54 AM »
So, everyone thinks the French part is weird, but no one worries about the 'Western' part?  'kaaaay... :corn

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #1534 on: November 18, 2011, 05:46:21 AM »
I'm not quite sure what to think of the french-part.

I see it like this: I really like the part itself, but it feels sorta random, sorta like Daniel thinking: "hey, let's take the arguably best song on the new album, and then put in a weird section that some people will hate", don't get me wrong because as I said, I do like the part myself, but French? :P
He could have done the part in English and it would have been just as good.

I think the fact that it is in French gives it a sort of elegance that it wouldn't have in English.  (That might only be because I really like the French language, of course)  However, I can see how it would be a bit more awkward to a native French speaker, especially if the pronunciation is off. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1535 on: November 18, 2011, 06:21:10 AM »
I like French myself, but seeing as the band has no connection to France whatsoever, that makes it a bit weird.  :biggrin:

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #1536 on: November 18, 2011, 06:28:41 AM »
After this tour is over, half of the band will be French.   :P  But I see your point. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1537 on: November 18, 2011, 06:47:43 AM »
Well still.  :biggrin:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1538 on: November 18, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »

I didn't really start noticing changes until after Scarsick (been a fan since around BE). He's always been kinda pretentious and arrogant, but only over the past few years does that seem to have translated into outright vanity.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1539 on: November 18, 2011, 08:46:59 AM »
I don't know if he's worse now, I mean is there anything in particular that makes you think so?
That answer to the facebook post, that just feels like a joke, not necessarily 100% super serious. :P