News:

Video of online chat between fans and members of Dream Theater:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8cLlXnHpA&feature=youtu.be (*no chickens were harmed during the filming of this chat)

Main Menu

Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)

Started by ariich, August 23, 2010, 05:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zantera

When I think about PoS, I don't really think of 'OMG Awesome'-production.
It doesn't really bother me on any of their albums, but on the other hand I think that a good production would have enhanced their albums even more.

Phoenix87x

I think I can safely say that People Passing By will be stuck in my head for quite some time.  :D

What I find somewhat funny is that when PoS become more rockish and straight up music like, their fan's say they are "experimenting." It's just kind of funny.

bout to crash

Quote from: Phoenix87x on September 21, 2011, 04:47:35 PM
I think I can safely say that People Passing By will be stuck in my head for quite some time.  :D
:metal

Zantera

That song doesn't get nearly as much as praise as it should!  :hefdaddy

Entropia is just so fantastic overall, songs like Foreword, Winning a War, People Passing By, Oblivion Ocean, Night Mist, Plains of Dawn and Leaving Entropia.  :heart

Perpetual Change

Quote from: Zantera on September 22, 2011, 12:41:24 AM

That song doesn't get nearly as much as praise as it should!  :hefdaddy

Entropia is just so fantastic overall, songs like Foreword, Winning a War, People Passing By, Oblivion Ocean, Night Mist, Plains of Dawn and Leaving Entropia.  :heart

This!

Definitely their most underrated! Seriously. I know that word gets tossed around a lot, but everyone thinks TPE or RL are the best. Entropia is awesome too!

Zantera

Personally I'd say Entropia, TPE and BE would be my favorites, probably in that order.  ;)

Adami

Quote from: 73109 on September 21, 2011, 06:57:25 PM
What I find somewhat funny is that when PoS become more rockish and straight up music like, their fan's say they are "experimenting." It's just kind of funny.

They were. Doing something different is experimenting. If DT started doing rap, that would be experimenting as well.

It's not going away from the mainstream, it's just going away from what you normally do.
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

I know, and I understand. I'm just pointing out something I find a bit ironic.

Adami

Quote from: 73109 on September 22, 2011, 12:35:40 PM

There's nothing ironic about it.

Adami

Quote from: 73109 on September 22, 2011, 04:14:31 PM
*sigh*

Need I continue arguing?

I know not. Need you?

We should try posting like that completely. Should be fun.

The definition of irony: incongruity between what is expected to be and what actually is, or a situation or result showing such incongruity

So, when I hear the world "experimental," I immediately jump to what usually constitues as "experimental." If I had no previous conceptions about PoS and someone said they just released their most "experimental" album yet, I'd think it would sound spacey, prog rocky, Pink Floyd/Radioheadish, but no...it is "experimental" because it is more forward and less proggy. My expectations are different than reality, thus, irony.

Pirate

You would expect 'experimental' to indicate the music is similar in style to previous outputs (regardless of what band it came from)? I suppose if that's really what PoS arrived at after experimenting, then whatever, but it's not like there is an "experimental" genre, including descriptions like spacey Pink Floyd/Radioheadish. Experimenting within a band can result in any sound really.

bss4life15

I want to try to get into these guys.  I've seen the music videos for Ashes and Lioleum and really loved them, any recommendations to what albums i should start with?

Phoenix87x

Quote from: bss4life15 on September 22, 2011, 06:37:13 PM
any recommendations to what albums i should start with?

The album I started with was the Perfect Element Part 1. Now that was maybe 8 weeks ago and I am now obsessed with them. Perfect Element is gargantuan in what it brings to the table, so it took a few spins before I really fell in love with it. 

Perpetual Change

Quote from: 73109 on September 22, 2011, 12:35:40 PM

I understand exactly where you're coming from and completely understand  :tup

NecessaryPain

It might just be my average set-up, but the production on this album sounds fantastic.

Really enjoying it so far.

Tyrias

So, i just found out PoS are going to open for Opeth at the concert I'm going and i definetely want to check out some of their stuff before I see them live.

Only Question: Where to start?

Zantera

Quote from: Tyrias on September 23, 2011, 05:14:34 AM
So, i just found out PoS are going to open for Opeth at the concert I'm going and i definetely want to check out some of their stuff before I see them live.

Only Question: Where to start?

I think most people will say either The Perfect Element or Remedy Lane.
Personally I'd say The Perfect Element, I think it's much better then Remedy Lane, even though I like the latter as well. :)

faemir

Well they'll be playing the latest stuff combined with the classics, so have a listen to TPE (best), and road salt 1/2 (latest)

NecessaryPain

TPE is definitely not 'much better' than RL.

It might be a bit better.

But i'd say RL is their best, just.

Ravenheart

Road Salt 2 is most excellent! It's a big step-up from Road Salt 1, which I still enjoyed.

Dynia

Listening to Road Salt Two right now! I'm halfway in, and it's pretty awesome so far.

ClairvoyantCat

The limited edition tracks are fantastic.  They don't really have a good fit with the rest of the album, but as standalone tracks they are really unique experiments for Pain of Salvation.  Especially Of Salt... chills everywhere. 

Zantera

Quote from: ClairvoyantCat on September 25, 2011, 07:50:00 AM
The limited edition tracks are fantastic.  They don't really have a good fit with the rest of the album, but as standalone tracks they are really unique experiments for Pain of Salvation.  Especially Of Salt... chills everywhere.

Which songs are the limited edition songs exactly?
I'm a bit unsure there. :P

As for the new album, listening through it for the second time, I'm really enjoying it.
Has a bit more variety then part 1 IMO.

ClairvoyantCat

Zantera

Oh, I don't have those on the RS2 I have on my computer. :/
But when I'm buying the album, I'll most likely grab the Limited Edition, so I can just rip it to my comp then I guess.

NecessaryPain

this will be an album to pick up on vinyl.

Zantera

jonny108

Quote from: ClairvoyantCat on September 25, 2011, 07:50:00 AM

Of Salt is truly wonderful!

LieLowTheWantedMan

Here we go. First listen of Road Salt Two. I'm not that confident in it from the style I've heard it has, but here we go...

NecessaryPain

Quote from: Zantera on September 25, 2011, 09:55:34 AM
Quote from: NecessaryPain on September 25, 2011, 09:43:22 AM
this will be an album to pick up on vinyl.

What if I don't have a turntable?  ;)

Get one.

Consistant albums from start to finish (Like RS2) are meant for vinyl.

Plus with the 70's vibe going on, it makes sense.

LieLowTheWantedMan

So the album is pretty damned good. Exceeded my expectations for sure. *engages flameshield* Sounds kinda like Down in places though.

njdtfan