News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)

Started by ariich, August 23, 2010, 05:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LieLowTheWantedMan

Really there's nothing I hate about the album, it just does nothing for me.

ClairvoyantCat

Lots of Pain of Salvation fans have the mindset that The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane are better than every other album that they've done. 

My advice to someone getting into them would be to at least not buy into that sort of mindset immediately, considering that I wasn't sure what to think of Scarsick at first and now it's my favorite album by them to date.  It's not really a change of style as much at it is a change of mindset in Pain of Salvation.  The core elements are really still there, but presented in a different way. 

Kingdom of Loss, Flame to the Moth, and Enter Rain are also some of the greatest songs ever, by the way. 

faemir

Quote from: LieLowTheWantedMan on May 10, 2011, 01:46:21 PM
Really there's nothing I hate about the album, it just does nothing for me.

Enter Rain?

ariich

Quote from: ClairvoyantCat on May 10, 2011, 01:53:13 PM
Lots of Pain of Salvation fans have the mindset that The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane are better than every other album that they've done. 

My advice to someone getting into them would be to at least not buy into that sort of mindset immediately
I really couldn't agree more. :tup

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

abydos

Yep. You'll buy into it after you've heard stuff like SS and RS :D

wolfking

Quote from: LieLowTheWantedMan on May 09, 2011, 05:09:09 PM
Save Scarsick for last. That way you won't get so appalled by it's fail that you get scared off from the rest.

Scarsick was my first POS album and since then I have all their albums and both DVD's and they are now in my top 10 favourite bands of all time.

ClairvoyantCat

I started with Scarsick as well and I wasn't "appalled" or anything like that. 

You could venture to say that I was in love, even. 

LieLowTheWantedMan

That post was mostly joking. I said I don't hate the thing, it just does nothing for me. :P

wolfking

Quote from: ClairvoyantCat on May 10, 2011, 03:54:30 PM
I started with Scarsick as well and I wasn't "appalled" or anything like that. 

You could venture to say that I was in love, even. 

Yep, Scarsick was a special album for me.  It was one of those albums just made me feel safe and happy, and really helped me through some rough emotional times.  Great album.

wolfking

Quote from: LieLowTheWantedMan on May 10, 2011, 03:55:42 PM
That post was mostly joking. I said I don't hate the thing, it just does nothing for me. :P

No stress bro!  :tup

The King in Crimson

I started with Scarsick and BE and I was ready to never listen to Pain of Salvation again after those two albums.

LieLowTheWantedMan

Quote from: The King in Crimson on May 10, 2011, 06:35:38 PM
I started with Scarsick and BE and I was ready to never listen to Pain of Salvation again after those two albums.
Haha. I started with BE and instantly wanted moar.

contest_sanity

I started with Remedy Lane based on Amazon reviews.  It took a while for anything really to click, but the first song I loved was "Rope Ends."  Even after that, though, it still didn't work for me as a whole for a long time; it was like it came piece by piece.  Then one day after listening to the whole thing once again, it hit me like a revelation: this is one of the greatest albums ever!  Still feel the same way today.

Cool story bro.

jonny108

I'd love to hear Daniel do Gethsemane from Jesus Christ Superstar  :)

ClairvoyantCat

I think Daniel has actually played drums for a rendition of Jesus Christ Superstar sometime, somewhere.  He's a huge, huge fan of the musical. 

abydos

He already did the best part of that song in Nightmist (Why shall I Die? at 4:20)

jonny108

Quote from: ClairvoyantCat on May 11, 2011, 04:35:20 AM
I think Daniel has actually played drums for a rendition of Jesus Christ Superstar sometime, somewhere.  He's a huge, huge fan of the musical. 

Hmm never knew that.  Might ask him on bookface  :)

The Degenerate

Daniel Gildenlow's little guest spot on a short song from a new prog band that has his brother and Leo in it, he sings with Shanon den Adel form Within Temptation, it's pretty nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWhVIodNNww

mizzl

Quote from: contest_sanity on May 10, 2011, 08:53:30 PM
I started with Remedy Lane based on Amazon reviews.  It took a while for anything really to click, but the first song I loved was "Rope Ends."  Even after that, though, it still didn't work for me as a whole for a long time; it was like it came piece by piece.  Then one day after listening to the whole thing once again, it hit me like a revelation: this is one of the greatest albums ever!  Still feel the same way today.
Haha i had the exact same. PoS is hard to get into, but when you do,  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
My first favorite song was Rope Ends aswell

Adami

Quote from: NecessaryPain on May 21, 2011, 11:20:46 AM
Conditioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBeZTsQrMm0

Fuck, I want this album  :metal

Meh, I know DG wanted to go 60's and 70's on this album, but I think that song pushes it a little too far.
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

mizzl

Quote from: Adami on May 21, 2011, 12:15:20 PM
Conditioned:

Meh, I know DG wanted to go 60's and 70's on this album, but I think that song pushes it a little too far.
This. Very much this.

NecessaryPain

Quote from: Adami on May 21, 2011, 12:15:20 PM
Conditioned:

I love it. Always evolving, always making good music.

Very much interested in the next album.

Adami

I just remember the days when the music told the story along with the lyrics. With songs like that, the music just seems to be there, serving no real higher purpose at all.

mizzl

Quote from: Adami on May 21, 2011, 12:36:33 PM
I just remember the days when the music told the story along with the lyrics. With songs like that, the music just seems to be there, serving no real higher purpose at all.
This. I mean, I love experimental music, but this song is on the border of experimental and been-there-done-that.

Adami

Quote from: mizzl on May 21, 2011, 12:38:00 PM
Quote from: Adami on May 21, 2011, 12:36:33 PM
This. I mean, I love experimental music, but this song is on the border of experimental and been-there-done-that.

Exactly, I mean musically speaking that might have been new for PoS, but it's still been done to death by hundreds of other bands.

ClairvoyantCat

I'll wait for a studio version to judge the song fully, but I like it.  I don't love it, though, and it doesn't seem to give much in the way of emotion, but it's fun. 

LieLowTheWantedMan

I liked it, but idk I just don't expect it from PoS. It's like if DT started playing Zeuhl.

ariich

Quote from: ClairvoyantCat on May 21, 2011, 12:46:02 PM
I'll wait for a studio version to judge the song fully, but I like it.  I don't love it, though, and it doesn't seem to give much in the way of emotion, but it's fun. 
This exactly. I dig it a lot, defintiely a natural follow on from RS1.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

wolfking

I don't mind this.  The quiet sections gives you that definitive POS feel and Daniel's vocals really pull this type of style off really well.  It's a continuation of RS1 and we knew that this is something we were going to get.  Plus, this really isn't any more out there some of the material that was on RS1.  The ending gives me a real Scarsick vibe.  It's POS mixed with a good serve of Clapton and Cream.

mizzl

faemir

I'm sure that PoS will change theme again after RS2 so people can stop whining.

Perpetual Change

Quote from: faemir on May 22, 2011, 04:32:37 AM
I'm sure that PoS will change theme again after RS2 so people can stop whining.

And they'll be all the better for it.

ClairvoyantCat

Anyone else notice what happened with their website?

I haven't checked it in a while so maybe this is old news, https://www.painofsalvation.com/

LieLowTheWantedMan

I did a few weeks ago. Wonder what happened. Also, lol @ "eats your other favourite bands and artists for breakfast".