Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 450693 times)

Offline Skeever

Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #3570 on: August 19, 2023, 05:43:39 PM »
Of all the bands from the Heyday of progressive metal in the late '90s / early 2000s, POS are the hardest to go back to. The subject material that they write about just demands so much out of you, plus Daniel is not the easiest guy to like since he kind of has a attitude of superiority about him.

Coming from a traditional conservative home and a religious operating, I felt really weird about Scarsick. Even though I was no longer blind about the role that America played in the world, it felt weird to feel called out so personally the way that album did especially when Daniel decided to boycott the United States on tour.

I did come to terms with the album and grew to like it a lot, but the road salts never really did much for me, nor have the latest two. I did not like Panther at all, in fact I thought it was pretty bad. I did go back and listen to remedy Lane recently though, and I thought it was great, if not for the lyrics being even heavier and more challenging than I had initially remembered.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #3571 on: August 19, 2023, 06:06:14 PM »
Hey everyone! Just had to jump in and give this thread a bump because Pain of Salvation is seriously one of my absolute favorite bands ever. Their mix of progressive metal and rock, combined with their deep and meaningful lyrics, just blows me away.

I can't help but adore Pain of Salvation for their knack of crafting songs that are not just musically rich but also emotionally charged. It's like they take you on this incredible rollercoaster ride of feelings and thoughts with each album.

Now, if I had to pick, my top two go-to albums would hands down be "Remedy Lane" and "The Perfect Element" "Remedy Lane" dives deep into human emotions and relationships, hitting you right in the feels, while "The Perfect Element, Part I" is like a musical tale that grips you from start to finish. These albums have left such a mark on me!

If you haven't given them a listen yet, trust me, you're missing out on something incredible!

You’re pretty much preaching to the choir on this forum. More than a few of us were screaming fan boys when those albums were first released.  I remember that a lot of us really liked BE as well, but it seems like wheels started to fall off with Scarsick…which I personally still think is very good, but I know it was extremely controversial both musically and socially.

But after that, even I started to wonder if there was any gas left in the tank. The Road Salt albums had some brilliant moments, but were pretty uneven on the whole (much like Metallica’s Load albums, you probably could have made a single disc great album by trimming the fat a bit) and while Passing Light was a big improvement, and was obviously an extremely personal album, I still felt there were a couple of duds that held it back from being a full “return to glory”.   But it was enough of an improvement that I picked up Panther right away.  With Panther, I could respect that he was doing something really different, it just wasn’t resonating with me.

Now looking back on the entire catalog, I realize that I only ever reach for the first 4 albums (and BE when I’m feeling more adventurous) and I just don’t see them as a first day buy anymore. Daniel would have to really outdo himself before I would renew my interest.

This for me, pretty much exactly this.

PoS can either do the best or the worst in my book. I have two of their albums in my top 5 albums of all time. Remedy lane is just the best album ever made for me. Buy some of their songs are also horrible IMO.
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3572 on: August 19, 2023, 11:57:42 PM »
While I was happy to see Daniel return to progressive metal on Passing, that whole record just didn’t really resonate with me aside from a few tracks.

Panther on the other hand, I didn’t expect to like as much as I do. This late in their career and I believe it’s one of their most consistent albums. It’s a good listen. It tries to do something new in both musical direction and sound and for me it works. Accelerator and Icon are absolutely killer IMO.

That said, nothing touches The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane. BE I loved when it came out but is maybe a bit *too* ambitious. Not all of it is that enjoyable IMO. Scarsick is OK, I like the heavier more modern approach but it misses something. The Road Salts I return to from time to time. Some good songs on there but overall a mixed bag. Lots of uninspired blues riffs and bad production.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3573 on: August 20, 2023, 01:47:57 AM »
BE is my favorite and it's not even up for debate but it is definitely a bit of a weird one. I recently made a playlist for road trips in the car and I wanted to have a huge list of all bands I like, maybe 10 songs from each and just put it on shuffle. As I was picking my PoS songs, I think the only one I picked from BE was Iter Impius. As much as I love the album, it's definitely a "sit down and experience the full ride" album. For me it's hard to pick out individual songs because a lot of the greatness comes from the songs complimenting each other. And so I can fully understand people not liking the album that much, because it doesn't have those instantly recognizable standout songs, but for me there's a vibe or mood to the album that's just untouched by any of their other albums.

The crazy part is I don't even really pay that close attention to the concept of BE. I'm sure Daniel is full of himself and maybe reading more into the lyrics would harm my appreciation for it. But I feel like every time I get to Vocari Dei (the instrumental song with the samples of people talking to god) I get a little choked up. I'm not religious myself but something about those people calling out for god with their prayers, it hits me on an emotional level. I think most people can relate to that desperation or loneliness you might feel sometimes in your life of everything going against you, and struggling to find the strength to carry on. Even though Vocari Dei is technically a throw away intermission type song between the proper songs, it hits me harder than a lot of the songs on their other albums.

And I like The Perfect Element a lot, I think Remedy Lane is great, Entropia is great, One Hour is good, the others a bit mixed. But even though TPE and RL are mostly fantastic with few low points, I never think about either of those albums in the way I think about BE - as albums that have that 'special' something.

I almost completely share the sentiment about 'BE'. It's an amazing concept, it's music fits the concept, and it does have that 'special' something.

Vocari Dei is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. The music sounds like it represents Nature, the beauty of life you can say. The messages to "God" are just our struggles of being human, how we are trying to reconnect with that beauty of life. I consider it one of my all time favorite songs for that reason. Then, contrast that with what comes next.

'Be' is a musical book for me. And I love concept albums that are like that.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kram

« Reply #3574 on: August 20, 2023, 01:49:05 PM »
While I was happy to see Daniel return to progressive metal on Passing, that whole record just didn’t really resonate with me aside from a few tracks.

Panther on the other hand, I didn’t expect to like as much as I do. This late in their career and I believe it’s one of their most consistent albums. It’s a good listen. It tries to do something new in both musical direction and sound and for me it works. Accelerator and Icon are absolutely killer IMO.

That said, nothing touches The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane. BE I loved when it came out but is maybe a bit *too* ambitious. Not all of it is that enjoyable IMO. Scarsick is OK, I like the heavier more modern approach but it misses something. The Road Salts I return to from time to time. Some good songs on there but overall a mixed bag. Lots of uninspired blues riffs and bad production.
Good post PixelDream!  This is pretty much me exactly! - except I'd say it sounds like I'm a little higher on Passing Light than you are.  TPE and Remedy Lane are both in my top 10 albums of all-time.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3575 on: August 21, 2023, 07:19:50 AM »
I don't like rankings other than top and bottom, but I guess mine would look like this (see if you can notice when I cheated a bit).

1. TPE
2. RL
3. BE
4. ITPLOD/Panther/Entropia/OHBTCL
5. Scarsick
6. RS1 and RS2

BE is a complicated thing. Yes, it is definitely an album best experienced as a whole and not a collection of songs. And I love it. However, I am torn between the live and studio versions. Overall, I'd say I prefer the live version. There's a rawness and ambience that is amazing, but the studio version has a few changes that really help, while the live version has some stuff they didn't do on the studio version. Having Johan sing the chorus on Lilium Cruentus, Johan's live solo on Iter Impius, the single layered vocals on Omni, etc. I wish I could have the original files and compile my own ideal mix, very frustrating.

And I think the last two albums were incredible. A few duds, but overall a very original and unique set of songs, even if Panther is a bit on the egotistical side of things lyrically.

Also very confused by their recent touring. I went to see them when they came to America last. Headlining a tour in America? Why? They're not nearly big enough to justify that. Crowds were tiny. Also the entire setlist minus 1 song was just the last 2 albums. Very strange stuff.

If they want to tour America, do a comprehensive set and open for a much bigger band whose audience you can be exposed to.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kram

« Reply #3576 on: August 21, 2023, 01:13:48 PM »
I don't like rankings other than top and bottom, but I guess mine would look like this (see if you can notice when I cheated a bit).

1. TPE
2. RL
3. BE
5. Scarsick
6. RS1 and RS2

BE is a complicated thing. Yes, it is definitely an album best experienced as a whole and not a collection of songs. And I love it. However, I am torn between the live and studio versions. Overall, I'd say I prefer the live version. There's a rawness and ambience that is amazing, but the studio version has a few changes that really help, while the live version has some stuff they didn't do on the studio version. Having Johan sing the chorus on Lilium Cruentus, Johan's live solo on Iter Impius, the single layered vocals on Omni, etc. I wish I could have the original files and compile my own ideal mix, very frustrating.

And I think the last two albums were incredible. A few duds, but overall a very original and unique set of songs, even if Panther is a bit on the egotistical side of things lyrically.

Also very confused by their recent touring. I went to see them when they came to America last. Headlining a tour in America? Why? They're not nearly big enough to justify that. Crowds were tiny. Also the entire setlist minus 1 song was just the last 2 albums. Very strange stuff.

If they want to tour America, do a comprehensive set and open for a much bigger band whose audience you can be exposed to.
It would be great if they could open for DT, or be on the next Dreamsonic tour.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3577 on: August 21, 2023, 01:15:44 PM »

1. TPE
2. RL
3. BE
5. Scarsick
6. RS1 and RS2

It would be great if they could open for DT, or be on the next Dreamsonic tour.

Might be the only thing to get me to a DT show these days. Would be cool to see DG join them something, preferably not just TSCO.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3578 on: August 21, 2023, 01:23:36 PM »
Daniel's probably too cool to play as an opener for an ageing prog-band
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Kram

« Reply #3579 on: August 21, 2023, 01:49:44 PM »
Well they've opened for DT before, but that was when MP was in the band, who's apparently good friends with Daniel.  How about opening for Opeth?  Two Swedish bands. Would be a cool show for sure!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3580 on: August 21, 2023, 02:38:45 PM »
Guess I'll be have to revisit Be. Probably spun it like 3 times and shelved it away.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3581 on: August 21, 2023, 04:34:50 PM »
Guess I'll be have to revisit Be. Probably spun it like 3 times and shelved it away.

It’s not for everyone. But damn…

I mean, I remember being a little taken aback that the entire first act only had one proper “song” in the first 4 tracks. And yet, it ends with the BEAUTIFUL Summer Rain which I cannot get enough of.

Ya, the whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3582 on: August 21, 2023, 04:43:34 PM »

It’s not for everyone. But damn…

I mean, I remember being a little taken aback that the entire first act only had one proper “song” in the first 4 tracks. And yet, it ends with the BEAUTIFUL Summer Rain which I cannot get enough of.

Ya, the whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts.

That's why I want to give it another shot. I was (am?) a huge PoS fan at that time but loved their heavy stuff. Be was a massive disappointment. I'm like 20 yrs older now so I should be able to at least appreciate it more.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3583 on: August 21, 2023, 05:53:26 PM »
Opposite issue here. BE hit me about a year into my exploration of prog metal as a genre. I'd heard Scenes, Into the Electric Castle, Mindcrime, and was hungry for more. It was exactly what I wanted - a huge, ambitious, intelligent prog rock opera.

Contrast, it took a LONG time to like virtually any other PoS. It all just seemed to pale in comparison. Eventually, I learned to enjoy the previous 4 just fine.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3584 on: August 21, 2023, 11:58:44 PM »
BE is up there among my favorite albums of all time ever since I heard it for the first time. That was back in 2003 at Lokomotivet in Eskilstuna.

Seeing this live and then having to wait for a year or soto hear it again was such a special thing. Still one of my favorite concerts ever too.

First time I saw P.O.S live was when they opened up for DT on the World Tourbulence tour. I have also seen them open up for Opeth for the Heritage tour. Both were very good pairings.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #3585 on: August 22, 2023, 12:06:12 AM »
I also saw PoS open for DT.

But either they were really bad that night or I wasn't in the mood for them. I walked away severly unimpressed and I wasn't the only one.

If not for a friend of mine who hyped them to no end I wouldn't have given them another chance.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3586 on: August 22, 2023, 12:19:07 AM »
I guess it helped that I was already a fan when they opened for DT.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #3587 on: August 22, 2023, 01:03:27 AM »
They played a lot of Remedy Lane if I remember correctly. And while I now love that record, it took me some time to appreciate it.

I think a lot of their music isn't instantly grabbing so knowing nothing about their music and then seeing them live as openers wasn't the best thing to introduce them to me.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3588 on: August 22, 2023, 01:32:40 AM »
Remedy Lane is the only album of theirs that I really love. There's something about that one that hits the spot for me that the others fail to do.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3589 on: August 30, 2023, 12:10:13 PM »
in this dog world, i've often felt like a panther trying to find my place. and you know what? i've come to realize that it's okay to be different, to be that panther in a sea of dogs. pain of salvation helped me finally put it into words and embrace it.

recently, i've been reflecting on my journey, and i can't help but draw parallels between my experiences and the dynamics in my family. people like my ex-wife, my mother, my oldest daughter, well, they're like the dogs, sticking to their routines and familiar paths. and that's alright – there's beauty in their simplicity and steadiness. but me? i'm that panther, the one who's always seeking something more, something different. i've embraced change, explored the depths of my emotions, and ventured into uncharted territories. it's not always easy being the panther, but it's where i find my authenticity and my true self.

pain of salvation's music has been my refuge, my companion in this journey of self-discovery. their songs resonate with the struggles of the panther – the longing, the questioning, and the yearning for something beyond the ordinary.

so, here's to embracing the panther within, and to finding our own paths in this dog world. may we all find the courage to be true to ourselves, no matter how unconventional it might seem. :metal
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3590 on: August 30, 2023, 01:07:15 PM »
in this dog world, i've often felt like a panther trying to find my place. and you know what? i've come to realize that it's okay to be different, to be that panther in a sea of dogs. pain of salvation helped me finally put it into words and embrace it.

recently, i've been reflecting on my journey, and i can't help but draw parallels between my experiences and the dynamics in my family. people like my ex-wife, my mother, my oldest daughter, well, they're like the dogs, sticking to their routines and familiar paths. and that's alright – there's beauty in their simplicity and steadiness. but me? i'm that panther, the one who's always seeking something more, something different. i've embraced change, explored the depths of my emotions, and ventured into uncharted territories. it's not always easy being the panther, but it's where i find my authenticity and my true self.

pain of salvation's music has been my refuge, my companion in this journey of self-discovery. their songs resonate with the struggles of the panther – the longing, the questioning, and the yearning for something beyond the ordinary.

so, here's to embracing the panther within, and to finding our own paths in this dog world. may we all find the courage to be true to ourselves, no matter how unconventional it might seem. :metal

I hate that I can't/suck at interpreting lyrics. My brain goes automatically to the music. Very interesting take. Have to revisit Panther with your interpretation in mind and focus on the lyrics.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3591 on: August 30, 2023, 01:15:11 PM »

I hate that I can't/suck at interpreting lyrics. My brain goes automatically to the music. Very interesting take. Have to revisit Panther with your interpretation in mind and focus on the lyrics.

i'm glad my interpretation resonated with you. diving into the lyrics can bring a whole new layer of depth to the music, so i hope you find some interesting insights when you revisit panther with that lens. sometimes the music and lyrics work together to create a powerful message. it's all about finding our own connections and interpretations, and that's the beauty of art. :heart
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3592 on: August 30, 2023, 01:20:39 PM »

:facepalm:

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #3593 on: August 30, 2023, 01:22:08 PM »
Look, I might just be a dog in a dog's world, but I gotta be honest, 'Panther' didn't quite hit the mark for me. I know some are super hyped about it, but it felt like a bit of a departure from what I've loved about their earlir stuff. The thing is, even though their lyrics are usually on point, this time around, the music itself felt uninteresting to me. And no amount of good lyrics can quite fix that, in my humble opinion.

Woof, PMSummer

Offline Adami

« Reply #3594 on: August 30, 2023, 01:24:10 PM »
I really loved Panther, but a LOT of the lyrics turn me off. Especially the themes ProgMaster seems to relate to. The idea of being the special person in a world of inferior beings or whatever. Daniel's ego seemed a bit on overdrive for a lot of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3595 on: August 30, 2023, 01:26:42 PM »
I really loved Panther, but a LOT of the lyrics turn me off. Especially the themes ProgMaster seems to relate to. The idea of being the special person in a world of inferior beings or whatever. Daniel's ego seemed a bit on overdrive for a lot of it.

yeah, totally get where you're coming from. panther had some seriously killer tunes, no doubt about that. the musicality and the way they crafted the sound was top-notch. but i gotta agree, the lyrics were a bit of a letdown for me too. progmaster's themes and the whole "special person in a world of inferior beings" vibe felt kinda cringeworthy, honestly. like, i'm all for confidence and all, but there's a line, you know? daniel's ego did seem to be on overdrive for a good chunk of the album. it's like he was trying too hard to assert his dominance or whatever, and it just came off as a bit excessive. i mean, the dude's talented, no doubt about it, but there's something off-putting about lyrics that seem to put others down just to boost yourself up.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3596 on: August 30, 2023, 01:28:40 PM »

just curious, is there something about my post that didn't sit well with you? i shared something pretty personal about my journey and how pain of salvation's music has played a significant role. i'm all for diverse opinions and discussions, so if you're up for it, i'd love to hear your thoughts beyond just an emoji. no hard feelings, just genuinely curious to understand your perspective. :coolio

thanks for sharing your perspective on panther. it's interesting how music can resonate differently with each of us. i get what you're saying about the themes, and while some lyrics might come off a certain way, for me, it's more about the sense of self-discovery and embracing individuality that i find in the album. it's not about being SUPERIOR - it's about being DIFFERENT and being proud, rather than ashamed, of it. i tried to make that clear by expressing there is no inherent failing in being one of the "dogs". that's just not me.

anyway. we all connect with music in our own way, and that's what makes it so diverse and meaningful. pain of salvation's music definitely sparks a range of interpretations, and that's part of the beauty of their art. i'm glad we can have a discussion about it, even if our viewpoints might differ. :heart

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3597 on: August 30, 2023, 01:32:05 PM »

just curious, is there something about my post that didn't sit well with you? i shared something pretty personal about my journey and how pain of salvation's music has played a significant role. i'm all for diverse opinions and discussions, so if you're up for it, i'd love to hear your thoughts beyond just an emoji. no hard feelings, just genuinely curious to understand your perspective. :coolio

:facepalm:  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline Adami

« Reply #3598 on: August 30, 2023, 01:34:33 PM »
That's probably not too helpful Skeever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3599 on: August 30, 2023, 01:39:28 PM »

:facepalm:  :facepalm: :facepalm:

seems like you're sticking to the emoji approach instead of putting thoughts into words. must be simpler that way, huh? if you ever decide to actually engage in a conversation, i'm all ears. but hey, i get it, sometimes typing out sentences can be a bit too much effort, we've all got busy lives. :chill

That's probably not too helpful Skeever.

it's all good man. maybe they're who dan was talking about. just feels bad to receive this treatment from an older member when i was just sharing my thoughts and trying to find my place here. c'est la vie, i'm not going to rise to the bait any further. :tup

Offline Adami

« Reply #3600 on: August 30, 2023, 01:41:49 PM »

thanks for sharing your perspective on panther. it's interesting how music can resonate differently with each of us. i get what you're saying about the themes, and while some lyrics might come off a certain way, for me, it's more about the sense of self-discovery and embracing individuality that i find in the album. it's not about being SUPERIOR - it's about being DIFFERENT and being proud, rather than ashamed, of it. i tried to make that clear by expressing there is no inherent failing in being one of the "dogs". that's just not me.

anyway. we all connect with music in our own way, and that's what makes it so diverse and meaningful. pain of salvation's music definitely sparks a range of interpretations, and that's part of the beauty of their art. i'm glad we can have a discussion about it, even if our viewpoints might differ. :heart

That's cool. I think I'm also connecting the lyrics to songs like Accelerator and such which really does harp on the idea that Daniel (or the person) is special in a group of normals. Or a panther "trapped" in a dog's world. It heavlily...HEAVILY...implies superiority. I'm glad that's not the part you connected with then.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #3601 on: August 30, 2023, 01:42:58 PM »

That's cool. I think I'm also connecting the lyrics to songs like Accelerator and such which really does harp on the idea that Daniel (or the person) is special in a group of normals. Or a panther "trapped" in a dog's world. It heavlily...HEAVILY...implies superiority. I'm glad that's not the part you connected with then.

count me in company with you on this sentiment  :tup
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #3602 on: August 30, 2023, 01:55:14 PM »
Panthers do seem like a cooler animal than dogs to be honest, not very equivalent animals.

« Reply #3603 on: August 30, 2023, 01:57:24 PM »
Panthers do seem like a cooler animal than dogs to be honest, not very equivalent animals.

always been a "cat" guy myself!!  :millahhhh
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Adami

« Reply #3604 on: August 30, 2023, 02:19:38 PM »

SHUT YOUR DIRTY WHORE MOUTH!

Sorry....that was not kind. What I meant to say was..

SHUT YOUR DIRTY WHORE MOUTH!

Dammit, sorry. But yes, dogs are amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com