Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 448930 times)

Offline Pettor

Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #3045 on: July 30, 2020, 02:20:39 AM »
I expect nothing less from POS. Don't expect to ever get another Perfect Element Part 1, but everything they have released have given me a lot of listening pleasure in one way or another. Road Salt being the most uneven (some amazing, some mediocre) in my taste. And that POS reinvents themselves for every release can't be unexpected at this point ;D

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #3046 on: July 30, 2020, 03:09:49 AM »
I expect nothing less from POS. Don't expect to ever get another Perfect Element Part 1, but everything they have released have given me a lot of listening pleasure in one way or another. Road Salt being the most uneven (some amazing, some mediocre) in my taste. And that POS reinvents themselves for every release can't be unexpected at this point ;D
Yeah, at this point I'd be kind of disappointed if they didn't. :lol I mean, I guess you could argue the last album was enough of a throwback to not bring anything new to the table. But I still thought it sounded fresh and exciting, I guess Ragnar's contribution helped a bit with that. And if this album really explores new ground then I'm down for it. :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3047 on: July 31, 2020, 04:34:32 AM »
Restless boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkU564tyD5M

No doubt a more interesting (not necessarily better) song than Accelerator to showcase the new sound. So far a really cool song that manages to deliver quite a lot during it's short span. The highlight is easily the section with rap / weird rhythm that feels typical POS but maybe missed a bit from the newer releases.

Really like what I hear so far! Fresh and interesting direction  :)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3048 on: July 31, 2020, 05:52:35 AM »
I love it, this is exactly how far I wanted them to take the new sound when I heard Accelerator.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3049 on: July 31, 2020, 06:43:03 AM »
Doesn't satisfy me on its own, but I definitely want to hear the album and form an opinion. They are definitely trying something.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3050 on: July 31, 2020, 07:56:40 AM »
Don't like either of the two songs.

Electronic is one of my favorite genres and I would loved to have an electronic focused POS album, but whatever he's going for here isn't doing it for me.

I'll still check out the full album though.

Offline Kram

« Reply #3051 on: July 31, 2020, 03:17:41 PM »
Not what I was expecting but I love it.  Bring the new album on!

Offline emtee

« Reply #3052 on: July 31, 2020, 04:50:36 PM »
Don't like either of the songs. Not even a little.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3053 on: August 01, 2020, 01:01:01 AM »
Herrick listened to the two songs: hmmm. I'm not into eletronica or whatever it's called BUTT I'd like to hear the full album. Restless Boy is pretty cool.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3054 on: August 01, 2020, 02:57:52 AM »
Okay, this one does absolutely nothing for me, but I'm still excited for the album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3055 on: August 01, 2020, 07:46:14 AM »
Restless Boy is like Daniel doing his version of dubstep.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3056 on: August 01, 2020, 09:37:30 AM »
Huh. Not sure what to think of that. In some ways I find it refreshing that he’s still trying to stretch himself artistically after 25 years or more of doing this. But I also think it somehow feels even more pretentious than the last few efforts (if that’s even possible).

I consider myself fairly tolerant, but now Daniel’s ego is starting to make me tired of him.  Not sure his over the top “I’m SUCH an artist!” schtick is doing it for me anymore. It felt young and fresh when he did BE (and I like BE) but it seems that was the beginning of a long slide of becoming more and more elitist. (Ironic, since he rails so hard against a slightly different form of elitist in Cribcaged)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3057 on: August 01, 2020, 09:55:55 AM »
Huh. Not sure what to think of that. In some ways I find it refreshing that he’s still trying to stretch himself artistically after 25 years or more of doing this. But I also think it somehow feels even more pretentious than the last few efforts (if that’s even possible).

I consider myself fairly tolerant, but now Daniel’s ego is starting to make me tired of him.  Not sure his over the top “I’m SUCH an artist!” schtick is doing it for me anymore. It felt young and fresh when he did BE (and I like BE) but it seems that was the beginning of a long slide of becoming more and more elitist. (Ironic, since he rails so hard against a slightly different form of elitist in Cribcaged)

What is pretentious about the last few albums?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3058 on: August 01, 2020, 10:09:06 AM »

This almost made me giggle because I feel like it’s so obvious that I suddenly find it hard to quantify. Everything really. Everything is just so over the top. It’s like if he was an actor you totally imagine him saying “I can’t work like this. I’ll be in my trailer.“ A good example was that last video for (I think it was) Meaningless? Is that the one where he’s making love to a naked girl while being bathed in blood?

EDIT - then there’s the entire song from road salt about how I really love my wife but I really wanted to nail her sister

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone accuse Daniel of not being pretentious. LOL

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3059 on: August 01, 2020, 10:26:53 AM »

This almost made me giggle because I feel like it’s so obvious that I suddenly find it hard to quantify. Everything really. Everything is just so over the top. It’s like if he was an actor you totally imagine him saying “I can’t work like this. I’ll be in my trailer.“ A good example was that last video for (I think it was) Meaningless? Is that the one where he’s making love to a naked girl while being bathed in blood?

EDIT - then there’s the entire song from road salt about how I really love my wife but I really wanted to nail her sister

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone accuse Daniel of not being pretentious. LOL

LoL which Road Salt song is that? I never got into those albums.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3060 on: August 01, 2020, 10:57:06 AM »
Sisters

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3061 on: August 01, 2020, 10:58:04 AM »
Sisters

I'll have to check that one out.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #3062 on: August 01, 2020, 10:59:16 AM »
It’s the best song on Road Salt imo. Musically anyway.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3063 on: August 01, 2020, 11:04:18 AM »
It’s the best song on Road Salt imo. Musically anyway.

Just because Daniel is pretentious doesn’t necessarily mean that everything he does is bad. Sisters is actually a very good song. I actually think the title track from in the passing light of day is one of the better things he’s ever done. But in the broader scope of his last several albums, his over the top approach has become a bit tiresome to me.

This latest song just kind of gave me that realization

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3064 on: August 02, 2020, 12:32:13 PM »
I quite like Restless Boy (or should I say: RESTLESS BOY.. gee).

I would’ve liked it a lot even with the sudden rhythmic outbursts of harsh rapping and monotonous chuggachug. The vibe and chords are nice and the main verse melody are so strong that it felt quite disruptive, but I’m getting used to it I guess.

Also quite fond of Accelerator, the main melody of that one and especially the outro part is so stuck in my head.

Still hoping for some old school PoS guitar solos though.. Used, Ashes, A Trace of Blood. That kind of stuff. Still, I like this new style and that kind of guitar work probably wouldn’t work in this context.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3065 on: August 02, 2020, 01:37:39 PM »
For me there always seems to be a bit of a connection between the artists getting bigger and treating their work like it's more important and also the output either getting worse or less interesting. I kinda feel this way not just with Daniel and PoS but also with Steven Wilson or even Mikael Åkerfeldt in Opeth. For me it's actually a bit of a turn off because I feel the music should speak for itself. If you as an artist feel a need to gush over your new album and tell me how great it is or how profound it is - chances are I won't really get any of that from actually listening to it.

Don't really mean this to be harsh to anyone specific though. I'm definitely interested to hear this new PoS album!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3066 on: August 02, 2020, 03:26:32 PM »
I thought Restless Boy was excellent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3067 on: August 03, 2020, 12:20:03 AM »
For me there always seems to be a bit of a connection between the artists getting bigger and treating their work like it's more important and also the output either getting worse or less interesting. I kinda feel this way not just with Daniel and PoS but also with Steven Wilson or even Mikael Åkerfeldt in Opeth. For me it's actually a bit of a turn off because I feel the music should speak for itself. If you as an artist feel a need to gush over your new album and tell me how great it is or how profound it is - chances are I won't really get any of that from actually listening to it.

Don't really mean this to be harsh to anyone specific though. I'm definitely interested to hear this new PoS album!

Well, they're all going to say their latest work is the best they've ever done when they get interviewed.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3068 on: August 03, 2020, 08:34:53 AM »

Well, they're all going to say their latest work is the best they've ever done when they get interviewed.

True and that's fine but I feel like when they try to distance themselves from the old stuff to show us how much they believe in the new stuff then it can be a bit frustrating. I feel like PoS/Daniel kinda did this around Road Salt (imo that's how I felt at least), SW had a few years when he seemed dismissive of PT and did not want any of their songs close to his solo set, Opeth did their 'non metal songs only'-tour around when they dropped Heritage.

I don't really mind that an artist wants to sell us on the new album (they should!) but sometimes they do it by knocking down the older stuff and sometimes they do it by overhyping it to a point where i'm losing interest rather than gaining it. :p

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3069 on: August 03, 2020, 08:38:08 AM »
Did Daniel distance himself?

I mean, didn't they do a whole Remedy Lane thing after RS?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3070 on: August 03, 2020, 09:30:17 AM »
Did Daniel distance himself?

I mean, didn't they do a whole Remedy Lane thing after RS?

I remember some interview with him around that time trying to distance himself and the band from prog metal and kinda saying they don't want to be lumped together with bands like Dream Theater or Ayreon and so on. I know since then they have loosened up on that and they played RL in full, they re-issued those classic albums on vinyl again and ITPLOD was a step back into that genre again. But for a brief window with the Road Salts they definitely tried for something different. :p

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3071 on: August 03, 2020, 09:47:12 AM »
Yea, I remember that.

It was an odd thing, but I also remember SO many bands recently trying to distance themselves from their respective genres. The mentality seems to be that if you're a "whatever" band, then you're expected to stick to it VERY strictly. Like Jinjer is one of my favorite new bands, and they are definitely metal, but they do a lot of jazzy stuff, and so forth, so they said they aren't a metal band. I assume DG meant it in a similar (also silly) way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3072 on: August 03, 2020, 01:24:45 PM »
It's always the way. I guess everyone might be embarrassed by earlier creative output and have an identity crisis trying to distance themselves, before eventually giving up that fight and accepting their entire creative history.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3073 on: August 03, 2020, 09:27:59 PM »
It's always the way. I guess everyone might be embarrassed by earlier creative output and have an identity crisis trying to distance themselves, before eventually giving up that fight and accepting their entire creative history.

This seems to happen when they become "artists".

Offline killer_rose

« Reply #3074 on: August 06, 2020, 05:25:55 AM »
I got to hear "Panther". I'm very happy with how this album turned out. I guess the production may be a bit divisive but I'm pleasantly surprised by the great balance between dystopian/robotic and emotional/human elements.

Also can we give Daniel some respect on how he always finds a way to surprise and add surprising new elements to Pain of Salvation's music. This new album sounds so typical of him and yet nothing like most of the stuff they've released before.

If you guys have any specific questions about the album, I'll be happy to answer them.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3075 on: August 06, 2020, 05:43:22 AM »
If you guys have any specific questions about the album, I'll be happy to answer them.
Thank you!!

1) Is there a story?

2) Most people say Restless Boy sounds more like a ambient interlude/concept album fragment, is it the most ambient piece on the album with the rest of the songs being more like solid songs, or are there more songs like that??

3) How would you rank it in their discography overall?

4) What are some moments in particular that stood out to you?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3076 on: August 06, 2020, 05:46:34 AM »
How much does it differ in sound/style from the last album?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline killer_rose

« Reply #3077 on: August 06, 2020, 07:09:30 AM »
Thank you!!

1) Is there a story?

2) Most people say Restless Boy sounds more like a ambient interlude/concept album fragment, is it the most ambient piece on the album with the rest of the songs being more like solid songs, or are there more songs like that??

3) How would you rank it in their discography overall?

4) What are some moments in particular that stood out to you?

1. Not so sure if there's a linear story with each track following the previous one (like in The Perfect Element or BE) since i still haven't paid that much attention to the lyrics in details. But there is definitely a specific theme throughout the album (just like in Remedy Lane, Scarsick and Road Salt, I guess). I expected the lyrics to be way more straight-forward political based on the descriptions and the press release but they're really not. They're more focused on the themes of individuality and being an outsider in a world that tries to break down everything that's "different". Typical Gildenlow, you know, haha, but it's also very universal and relatable for many different groups of people. It's easy to tell this topic is very dear and personal to Daniel with one of his children living with Down syndrome, etc.

2. I wouldn't consider "Restless Boy" an interlude or something but it is the most ambient/electronic song in the album. And it's the shortest one there - the outro of the closing track "Icon" itself is as long as "Restless Boy". The rest of the songs are what you consider "solid songs", I bet. It's a weird choice for a single given the sound and structure of the rest but... you never know with Pain of Salvation

3. It's too early to talk about any rankings. Progressive metal/rock albums take time to grow and I'm still at the beginning of that 'journey'. It will probably become clearer in a month or two. But it's not their best, neither their worst, for sure.

4. My favorite moments in the album are the last two minutes of "Accelerator", the beautiful guitar, piano and vocals in "Wait", the interlude "Fur" segueing into the ballsy title track (many people will find it try-hard, I guess, but it sounds great to me) and the verses and chorus in "Icon" (another great PoS closing track, they really don't know how to make bad closers).

Offline killer_rose

« Reply #3078 on: August 06, 2020, 07:19:52 AM »
How much does it differ in sound/style from the last album?

It's very different in style from "In the Passing Light of Day". The only thing the two albums have in common are the heavy guitars and the 'organic' drum sound that I tend to find a bit grating at times but not enough to ruin the experience for me when everything else sounds great. Other than that "Panther" is much more electronic and industrial.

Offline killer_rose

« Reply #3079 on: August 07, 2020, 10:12:00 AM »
I can't wait for you guys to hear "Icon". It's such a beautiful and heartbreaking composition (in a way that most of their closing tracks have been) even though it takes time to grow.

I guess it would have been even better if it didn't have the heavy instrumental outro that lasts 3 minutes, as the final melody before it is a total tearjerker, but you can also consider it a final call to arms when it comes to the specific sound/style of the album. Other than that, it's perfection and one of their most powerful songs. There is not a vocal melody on it that is not stunning - from verses to chorus to that final part.