Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 448973 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #3010 on: July 03, 2020, 05:54:45 AM »
I love the synths in the beginning with that riff. Somehow it gives me a..cyberpunk feel or something like this. It's not a long song, and while I do really like it, it could have used some more variety or be a minute shorter.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3011 on: July 03, 2020, 05:58:02 AM »
I really liked the song actually. I wasn't thrilled that Ragnar left, but this gives me hope for the album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #3012 on: July 03, 2020, 06:03:20 AM »
I really liked the song actually. I wasn't thrilled that Ragnar left, but this gives me hope for the album.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3013 on: July 03, 2020, 06:08:35 AM »
It was a cool song. Still unsure why they want to produce the drums the way they are, I don't like the ultra lo-fi organic feel, but it's not distracting so whatever.

It's a little underwhelming, but I thought the same about most of the songs on ITPLOD and now I really love that album. So hopefully it's a grower.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3014 on: July 03, 2020, 06:23:00 AM »
I like it. Don't love it, but do like it a lot. More, please.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3015 on: July 03, 2020, 06:24:40 AM »
Interesting song.  Hard to judge from one listen.  Will probably work.very well in the album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Adami

« Reply #3016 on: July 03, 2020, 06:27:39 AM »
I also feel like every pitch for a music video these days is like this

Director: Okay Daniel, my ideas are XYZ...thoughts?
Daniel:...........can I be shirtless through most of it?
Director: Sure, I guess
Daniel: Let's to it!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3017 on: July 03, 2020, 06:29:26 AM »
The intro riff and rhythm also reminds me a lot of Illuminate from Leprous. In fact, if this song was an instrumental I could definitely be fooled that it's some recent Leprous demo.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3018 on: July 03, 2020, 06:36:12 AM »
Meh on the first listen. It will probably grow on me though
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 08:43:12 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3019 on: July 03, 2020, 08:41:29 AM »
Haven't listened and will refrain until I get my signed Mediabook 2CD ltd edition
Pain of Salvation being one of my absolute favorites I'm pretty sure I will like this album too.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3020 on: July 03, 2020, 09:58:33 AM »
Haven't listened and will refrain until I get my signed Mediabook 2CD ltd edition

Where are you going to order a signed version?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3021 on: July 06, 2020, 03:13:01 PM »
Pain of Salvation was my favourite band back when I (re-?)'discovered' them, so I'll keep following them. I got bummed out on them, or should I say Daniel in particular(?) because of some silly stuff he did or said when playing live, but there's no denying he's made some great progressive metal. I basically love all their albums, bar Scarsick, though I haven't listened to them in a long while. This first track was cool, I pre-ordered the album and I'll listen to it again when I get the album. Good stuff to look forward to :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3022 on: July 07, 2020, 07:40:08 AM »
I got bummed out on them, or should I say Daniel in particular(?) because of some silly stuff he did or said when playing live, but there's no denying he's made some great progressive metal.
I'm pretty sure that the only way to really enjoy this band is to not take Daniel too seriously :corn I tend to like him both as a person and as a musician, but he is also... hm, how should I put this. Kinda challenging to listen to at times. No matter if it's a point in time where I agree with him or not. I should sandwich this in saying that this is obviously just me judging someone I really don't know, and that the only reason why I find it challenging is because I want to listen to him, I usually just ignore people whose vibes put me off even a little bit, but there is something different and compelling about Daniel that makes me want to sit through The Act of Daniel Being Daniel, and feel my patience challenged at times. Does that make any sense at all?  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3023 on: July 07, 2020, 08:27:28 AM »
What does he do and say live? Something similar to his hilarious fingerprint boycott?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3024 on: July 07, 2020, 08:37:27 AM »
I think for me the biggest strength and weakness of the band is Daniel. His arrogance can be very off putting at times and he's one of few musicians I listen to who genuinely seems to believe his own music has something 'deeper' than the majority of the music out there and to me he sometimes seems a bit out of touch - just the marketing alone for this new album makes it sound like it's on par when with man discovered fire. However, that arrogance comes from a 100% sincere belief that everything he makes is something amazing and he puts all his passion and creativity into something. PoS overall have their good albums and their 'not so good' albums like any other band but despite albums like Scarsick, I feel like anything he makes will be at least worth checking out once. There's many bands where you don't even have to hear the new album to already know what it's like but PoS is one of those groups that go their own way and while it's not always perfect, it's at least interesting. :)

Online Adami

« Reply #3025 on: July 07, 2020, 08:40:33 AM »
Daniel is definitely very full of himself. Usually it doesn't bug me, but the one time it did was the credits on Road Salt.

The fact that he (seemingly) created a huge "who's to blame" section just to he can point out every time he played both guitars, or bass, or drums, or keyboards was really obnoxious.

That said, I haven't seen any Panther marketing that screamed arrogant. At least not more so than any other serious band promoting a new album. It'd be cool if more musicians were completely chill like Devin Townsend, but that's a rarity.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3026 on: July 07, 2020, 08:44:02 AM »
I can't remember what it was exactly, but I've seen Pain of Salvation live a bunch of times - in fact the thing that got me into them was their phenomenal live DVD - and at one point (this was at a prog festival) he made a point about not wanting to be too pretentious and not playing the stuff people would want to hear or something along those lines. Silly, almost narcissistic remarks in between songs, just unnecessary stuff. Don't pretend you're bigger than you are and let the music speak for itself; I remember the performance being really good. At some point I believe Daniel didn't really 'want' to be a prog metal outfit anymore (hence the Road Salts), but him not owning up to his past in live performances was kind of strange for me to see.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3027 on: July 07, 2020, 08:44:51 AM »
Daniel is definitely very full of himself. Usually it doesn't bug me, but the one time it did was the credits on Road Salt.

The fact that he (seemingly) created a huge "who's to blame" section just to he can point out every time he played both guitars, or bass, or drums, or keyboards was really obnoxious.

That said, I haven't seen any Panther marketing that screamed arrogant. At least not more so than any other serious band promoting a new album. It'd be cool if more musicians were completely chill like Devin Townsend, but that's a rarity.

The thing that stood out to me was the wording of the teaser for Panther which had lines like (i'm paraphrasing) "Thought-provoking..." "An important album" or something to that effect. Sure you can say the marketing team or whatever came up with that but it screams Daniel to me and I can't recall any other bands I like where they describe their own music in that way. Like don't get me wrong, i'm hyped for Panther based on liking the band but I don't think it will cure alzheimers.  :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #3028 on: July 07, 2020, 08:49:15 AM »

The thing that stood out to me was the wording of the teaser for Panther which had lines like (i'm paraphrasing) "Thought-provoking..." "An important album" or something to that effect. Sure you can say the marketing team or whatever came up with that but it screams Daniel to me and I can't recall any other bands I like where they describe their own music in that way. Like don't get me wrong, i'm hyped for Panther based on liking the band but I don't think it will cure alzheimers.  :lol

I think that might be reading a bit of bias into it though. It's likely a marketing team, and I've seen tons of releases, movies or music, that are written like that. It doesn't stand out to me really.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3029 on: July 07, 2020, 08:52:13 AM »

I think that might be reading a bit of bias into it though. It's likely a marketing team, and I've seen tons of releases, movies or music, that are written like that. It doesn't stand out to me really.
Yeah I assume Zantera means the thing that said "Intense, ever innovative and highly relevant", which I'm 95% certain will have come from InsideOut because that's what they do. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3030 on: July 07, 2020, 09:30:05 AM »
I was wondering if I was being too negative in my remarks, and then you guys went all in on him  :rollin

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3031 on: July 07, 2020, 09:56:57 AM »
I find him pretty offputting, but if the art the artist makes really dose it for me, then most of the time I just look the other way.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3032 on: July 07, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »
Daniel sometimes seems kinda full of himself, but if I would only listen to music from people who are down to earth, humble, not arrogant, nice etc. there isn't much music left to listen to.  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3033 on: July 07, 2020, 02:57:38 PM »

Where are you going to order a signed version?

I ordered it from the bands own store

https://painofsalvation.com/store/

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #3034 on: July 07, 2020, 04:13:33 PM »
I think Daniel is a genuine egoist who doesnt spend a whole lot of time thinking about anything other than his own accomplishments.  There is just too much evidence of his interactions with other band members to read it any other way.  I wouldn't really call him self-inflated though.  He pours every last bit of energy into everything he does and that lends him a certain righteousness.  It also makes him a very pleasant guy in any regular interactions to my knowledge.  But being in a band with him seems like a nightmare.

The new song is ok.  Has me missing the Road Salts, personally, where I felt like the band was really launching into unique and exciting territory.   

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3035 on: July 20, 2020, 11:16:07 AM »
Pain of Salvation new album:  If you are hoping for a repeat of the prog metal sound of "In the Passing Light of Day" , this isn't it.  What this is, however, is crazy, cacophonous, brilliant, sexy, and straight-up cool progressive rock/metal/post-metal/electronica. This is possibly the wildest album they've ever made.

:metal

Online Adami

« Reply #3036 on: July 20, 2020, 11:22:28 AM »
Pain of Salvation new album:  If you are hoping for a repeat of the prog metal sound of "In the Passing Light of Day" , this isn't it.  What this is, however, is crazy, cacophonous, brilliant, sexy, and straight-up cool progressive rock/metal/post-metal/electronica. This is possibly the wildest album they've ever made.

:metal

Alrighty.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3037 on: July 20, 2020, 11:39:23 AM »
Scarsick II?

Online Adami

« Reply #3038 on: July 20, 2020, 11:40:42 AM »
Sadly "crazy, cacophonous, brilliant, sexy, and straight-up cool progressive rock/metal/post-metal/electronica" doesn't tell me much other than you really like it and it has some keyboards.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3039 on: July 20, 2020, 03:28:56 PM »

Director: Okay Daniel, my ideas are XYZ...thoughts?
Daniel:...........can I be shirtless through most of it?
Director: Sure, I guess
Daniel: Let's to it!
:lol  I thought pretty much the exact same thing.

Offline pfillion

Offline pfillion

Offline Kram

« Reply #3042 on: July 25, 2020, 04:31:04 PM »
Not sure what to think after reading this review.  "Dense, distorted electronic sounds are going to define this era of Pain Of Salvation" - not sure I like the sound of that.  I did like the first song though so going to give it a fair shot.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3043 on: July 29, 2020, 03:05:56 AM »
New review

http://allabouttherock.co.uk/pain-of-salvation-panther/

Having heard the album, I understand that kind of "meh"-opinion of the reviewer.

Still, I think what he's criticising is exactly what Gildenlöw intended. This album is not as accessible as some other PoS albums (if you can even say that). It has no Iter Impius/Silent Gold like ballads and no huge gestures like the title track of the last album. It's concise yet experimental, something different from the other albums, but still unmistakably PoS. The melodies are not as in-your-face as on other tracks by the band. But after a few listens I found myself unintentionally singing the title track's main theme or UNFUTURE's badass riff while doing something completely different.

As mentioned, I understand the reviewer's opinion. And I think PANTHER won't earn the universal praise that In The Passing Light got, because it will polarise. But I personally find this album amazing.
any rock can be made to roll