Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 451216 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #1820 on: July 17, 2012, 08:49:47 PM »
Wow, those acoustic videos are cool but it's just struck me that I have no idea who that band is. It's almost like I'm watching a group of guys do an acoustic PoS tribute.

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #1821 on: August 07, 2012, 11:53:08 AM »
Don't know how many of you are interested in Vinyl but InsideOut has announced that The Perfect Element, Part I is coming out on Vinyl on September 24th!
(Definitely a must buy for me)

https://www.insideoutmusic.com/newsdetailed.aspx?IdNews=11762&IdCompany=8
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1822 on: August 07, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »
HOLY SHIT. Must pick that up.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1823 on: August 07, 2012, 01:45:37 PM »
Much as I love PoS, I'm far more excited about those Ayreon vinyls... hopefully there are some good American deals for this, as the IO web shop is rapetastic for outside of Europe.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #1824 on: August 08, 2012, 07:10:54 PM »
Much as I love PoS, I'm far more excited about those Ayreon vinyls... hopefully there are some good American deals for this, as the IO web shop is rapetastic for outside of Europe.
CMDistro will have them. They also have Ayreon's ITEC and PoS Road Salt 1 LPS. (Road Salt 2 sold out recently and should be getting more in stock soon.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:31:39 PM by Pockets17red »
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1825 on: August 09, 2012, 06:05:30 PM »
How do you guys think Entropia fares in comparison to the rest of PoS's discography? I ask because it is the only one that I currently own, and am just starting to listen to. Some of it is a bit off-putting on first listen (namely stress)
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #1826 on: August 09, 2012, 07:42:15 PM »
It's crazily underrated in comparison to their other albums imo. Really unique, probably Kristoffer's best performance with the band, the storyline's fantastic and a tear-jerker, and has damn good lyrics for a Swedish band's debut. It's their most groovy album and I think there was a stronger focus on instrumentation when the two Daniels were together. I love it, RL, and BE all equally. Every PoS album has a different sound, so, if the rest of Entropia's not really your thing, you might find the magic in one of their other albums.

But Stress is pretty lonely and unique when it comes to PoS using that, uh, style despite having some staple PoS elements, so it's understandable that you feel that way. I like it a lot personally, but it's my least favorite on the album. Everything else on it kicks its ass and way more.

Speaking of which, Entropia's not in chronological order and it's never been said what the order is, but I think I have it and I want to know what you guys think -

1. ! (Foreword)
2. Welcome to Entropia
3. Winning a War
4. Plains of Dawn
5. Void of Her
6. To the End
7. Oblivion Ocean (not sure if this comes before Void of Her or after To the End, but this seems more likely)
8. Stress
9. Revival
10. Circles
11. People Passing By (could be switched with Circles, also not sure)
12. Nightmist
13. Leaving Entropia (Epilogue)
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1827 on: August 09, 2012, 07:45:20 PM »
Entropia is amazing. It takes a little while for every song to click though. They were young and raw and tried to be more complex than they needed to be at times. The only weak song is Leaving Entropia, even Daniel said he hates the recorded version. With that the 12:5 version of Entropia songs are completely amazing as well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1828 on: August 09, 2012, 08:13:06 PM »
I can never seem to make it through Entropia. I'll get maybe halfway through it and I'll get bored and move onto something else.

That said, I listened to both Road Salt albums yesterday. Still love them both, with 1 having a bit of an edge just for being so damn groovy.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online Adami

« Reply #1829 on: August 09, 2012, 08:15:44 PM »
I can never seem to make it through Entropia. I'll get maybe halfway through it and I'll get bored and move onto something else.

That said, I listened to both Road Salt albums yesterday. Still love them both, with 1 having a bit of an edge just for being so damn groovy.

Meh. I think I have 2 major issues with RS (both of them) and a bunch of other smaller ones.

1. The production is just awful, despite whatever BS excuse they came up with about wanting it to sound vintage....it doesn't, it sounds like crap.

2. The music no longer tells a story, it's just background to the vocals. On Entropia, RL, One Hour, TPE, BE and at times even Scarsick the music told as much of the story as the lyrics did. But on RS it's just kind of normal riffs behind Daniel forcing emotion that used to come naturally.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #1830 on: August 09, 2012, 09:09:25 PM »

Wut.

The 2nd half of Entropia is the better half! And kinda groovy :P. Stress - Nightmist is a great and energetic run of songs.

^agreed on the production. Scarsick's production was great, and it was such a big step down
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1831 on: August 10, 2012, 03:11:12 AM »
How do you guys think Entropia fares in comparison to the rest of PoS's discography? I ask because it is the only one that I currently own, and am just starting to listen to. Some of it is a bit off-putting on first listen (namely stress)

It's my third favorite album by PoS, love it. The ones I like more would be The Perfect Element and BE.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1832 on: August 12, 2012, 12:37:05 AM »
Late to the party (please remember I've been unemployed for three years) but I'm just hearing RS2 for the first time.

I have to say that my expectations were that it was going to be more accessible...but it's actually quite diverse and experimental.   It's going to take awhile to digest...but I'm really digging it.  I'm up to The Deepest Cut so far...and....well, wow.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1833 on: August 12, 2012, 12:50:44 AM »
1. The production is just awful, despite whatever BS excuse they came up with about wanting it to sound vintage....it doesn't, it sounds like crap.

Yes.

Here's to hoping PoS are done with their Lenny Kravitz phase.

Online Adami

« Reply #1834 on: August 12, 2012, 12:55:46 AM »

Yes.

I mean, I totally understand if they wanted to get that 70's vintage sound, but they didn't do it. What did bands do in the 70's? They used state of the art 70's gear and TRIED to sound as good as possible. PoS tried to sound bad. They used (at least what sounds like) full on pro tools recording, line 6 amplifiers and so forth. They took the drums apart to try to make them sound more vintage. Here's what they should have done.

1. Get a few Marshall amps.
2. Play Gibsons or Fenders....not their new 2000's custom guitars.
3. Get a real 70's Ludwig drum set. Not a brand new Sonar kit, tuned to sound bad.
4. Use 70's era mics.
5. Use the exact same recording gear used in the 70's.
6. Actually record as a band like you ranted about in the beginning. Not record 3-4 songs that way and then just have Daniel record every instrument because apparently Johan, and Fredrick aren't good enough to play very basic songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: August 12, 2012, 01:05:40 AM »
Noting Daniel's personal influences, I always figured he was going for this right from the beginning. But yeah, it didn't work. Both Road Salt records are as "vintage" as a silent film shot full-color with an HD camera and converted to black & white later. With RS2, it actually sounds like they chopped of the lower and upper frequencies during production to give it a lo-fi, clippy sound.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1836 on: August 12, 2012, 02:03:38 AM »

It's crazily underrated in comparison to their other albums imo. Really unique, probably Kristoffer's best performance with the band, the storyline's fantastic and a tear-jerker, and has damn good lyrics for a Swedish band's debut. It's their most groovy album and I think there was a stronger focus on instrumentation when the two Daniels were together. I love it, RL, and BE all equally. Every PoS album has a different sound, so, if the rest of Entropia's not really your thing, you might find the magic in one of their other albums.

But Stress is pretty lonely and unique when it comes to PoS using that, uh, style despite having some staple PoS elements, so it's understandable that you feel that way. I like it a lot personally, but it's my least favorite on the album. Everything else on it kicks its ass and way more.

are we talking about stress?! stress as in the song 'stress'?! i know we cant be talking bout 'stress' you guys. cuz 'stress' is fun, wacky, and  :metal

anywayz, i wholeheartedly agree with emblem's first paragraph.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1837 on: August 14, 2012, 12:16:46 AM »
I love the sound on RS1 and RS2, something about the whole vibe just really grabs me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #1838 on: August 14, 2012, 12:58:05 AM »
I love the sound on RS1 and RS2, something about the whole vibe just really grabs me.

Don't tell your girlfriend that. Then she'll know you have terrible taste and she might take that as an insult.

You know how girls can be.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1839 on: August 14, 2012, 05:36:59 AM »
Indeed. I don't particularly care what Daniel was going for, but the end result sounds fine to me.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1840 on: August 14, 2012, 06:47:26 AM »

Yes.

I mean, I totally understand if they wanted to get that 70's vintage sound, but they didn't do it. What did bands do in the 70's? They used state of the art 70's gear and TRIED to sound as good as possible. PoS tried to sound bad. They used (at least what sounds like) full on pro tools recording, line 6 amplifiers and so forth. They took the drums apart to try to make them sound more vintage. Here's what they should have done.

1. Get a few Marshall amps.
2. Play Gibsons or Fenders....not their new 2000's custom guitars.
3. Get a real 70's Ludwig drum set. Not a brand new Sonar kit, tuned to sound bad.
4. Use 70's era mics.
5. Use the exact same recording gear used in the 70's.
6. Actually record as a band like you ranted about in the beginning. Not record 3-4 songs that way and then just have Daniel record every instrument because apparently Johan, and Fredrick aren't good enough to play very basic songs.

Agree totally! So, sort of like Opeth did with Heritage...  But Entropia is still one of my fave POS albums, after Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1841 on: August 15, 2012, 03:53:41 PM »

Me too, it sounds real 70's in terms of the style. Its like,a mix of Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Its a great album, RS1. I just got done listening to it and Wow, its great all the way through. Messed up lyrics, but it reminds me of the time of 30's gritty blues. The story is an,important thing of this album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

« Reply #1842 on: December 09, 2012, 01:17:33 PM »
HOWDY GUYS!

So since Pain of Salvation is taking a break (I guess?) while Daniel jacks off to a mirror, I had an idea.

While we wait for him to unleash his Gildenload all over himself, how about I start a Pain of Salvation survivor?

Would anyone be up for participating? Moira and her boy toy already like it, so I need a bunch of you guys.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1843 on: December 09, 2012, 01:20:35 PM »
Let me be clear here. 

I'm WAY behind on my CD buying, because I've been out of work so long.  (when I do buy something, it's often an impulse buy...which just makes me that much sadder that "brick and mortar" is disappearing...but that's another topic)

What I have heard from the two Road Salt albums...I have LOVED.   But I don't know enough about them to vote in a survivor.    But you can count on my FULL support from Entropia thru Scarsick. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1844 on: December 09, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »
HOWDY GUYS!

So since Pain of Salvation is taking a break (I guess?) while Daniel jacks off to a mirror, I had an idea.

While we wait for him to unleash his Gildenload all over himself, how about I start a Pain of Salvation survivor?

Would anyone be up for participating? Moira and her boy toy already like it, so I need a bunch of you guys.
If Marco is my boy toy, does that make me the Dark Bastard? :lol

For those who don't know, PoS launched a merch shop. It's nice. No pre-BE shirts/stuff though as far as I saw. And the only girlie has Dani's face on the tit-area, which I am not comfortable wearing :D

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1845 on: December 09, 2012, 07:27:58 PM »
I'd participate in a survivor fo sho. But probably wouldn't be able to do RS2, since I haven't listened to it a ton.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1846 on: December 11, 2012, 08:32:08 AM »
I'd participate in a survivor fo sho. But probably wouldn't be able to do RS2, since I haven't listened to it a ton.
You really should fix that. It's great.

Anyway, I'm listening to Remedy Lane today. Awesome album. I know Daniel's all about moving forward and exploring different sounds, but I really wish he'd get back into some more metal territory. They did it really well.

Online Adami

« Reply #1847 on: December 11, 2012, 08:34:14 AM »
You really should fix that. It's great.

Anyway, I'm listening to Remedy Lane today. Awesome album. I know Daniel's all about moving forward and exploring different sounds, but I really wish he'd get back into some more metal territory. They did it really well.

Yea, Scarsick was just brilliant.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1848 on: December 11, 2012, 08:51:57 AM »
Would participate. All albums.

Also Scarsicks is not a bad album by overall standards but it's pretty bad by Pain of Salvation standards, especially pre-Road Salt.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1849 on: December 11, 2012, 09:04:24 AM »
Scarsick and Road Salt One are by far their worst albums IMO. Luckily Road Salt Two was awesome, so it restored some faith.

Online Adami

« Reply #1850 on: December 11, 2012, 09:07:23 AM »
Scarsick and Road Salt One are by far their worst albums IMO. Luckily Road Salt Two was awesome, so it restored some faith.

Musically, RS2 is a lot better than RS1. However the production and horrible drumming still bothers me.

I dunno, whatever faith it restored in me was immediately lost when all the other members of the band quit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #1851 on: December 11, 2012, 09:13:26 AM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=34983.0

Round 1 of entropia is up! Everyone go vote or I withhold sex.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1852 on: December 27, 2012, 04:49:55 PM »
Cosign.

Don't want to be one of those "go back to the old days" fans, but there's a part of me that totally feels that way too.  RL is still my favorite from them, and still probably in my top 10 albums of all time.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #1853 on: December 27, 2012, 05:00:13 PM »
Yup.  When it comes to this band, Remedy Lane is where it's at.

Online Adami

« Reply #1854 on: December 27, 2012, 05:01:53 PM »
Yup.  When it comes to this band, Remedy Lane is where it's at.

Eh, honestly I prefer BE and TPE over it.

Of course I prefer TPE over everything any band has done.
fanticide.bandcamp.com