Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 446568 times)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #1715 on: February 26, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »
That's an amazing setlist, one of the best ones I've ever seen from them.

I'm still hoping that the reworked version of King of Loss will show up sometime soon.  Also, a set like this would be ideal for the apparent DVD that Daniel mentioned some time ago. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1716 on: February 26, 2012, 07:23:09 AM »
Yeah, I would love to hear the new version of King of Loss.
Personally I think they could switch Kingdom of Loss with King of Loss, though I know Daniel loves the former, and it's the only Scarsick song on the setlist. I think it's a great song myself, but I prefer King of Loss. Personally I think they could maybe switch Kingdom of Loss with King of Loss, but replace Ashes with Scarsick or Flame to the Moth. (America could be cool as well)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1717 on: February 26, 2012, 07:17:16 PM »
Kingdom of Loss is the only song on Scarsick that I legitimately enjoy, so they can play it live all they want.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1718 on: February 27, 2012, 03:11:41 AM »
Kingdom of Loss is the only song on Scarsick that I legitimately enjoy, so they can play it live all they want.

Between two bouncing breasts, on a baywatch beach?  :corn

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1719 on: February 27, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
The lyrics on that song are so terrible.

I can take terrible lyrics if the music is good enough, but unfortunately, Kingdom of Loss just bores me.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1720 on: February 27, 2012, 07:25:35 PM »
The lyrics on that song are so terrible.

I can take terrible lyrics if the music is good enough, but unfortunately, Kingdom of Loss just bores me.

Most of the lyrics in the song are bad, but what I consider the chorus has great lyrics the "As you're tearing down my world...." part. Good lyrics there. Just not the rest of the song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1721 on: February 28, 2012, 02:33:58 AM »
The lyrics on Scarsick (the album) is generally what puts me off about it. Musically I don't think it's bad, but there are several lyrical moments that has a negative effect on me.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1722 on: February 28, 2012, 03:30:29 AM »
Lyrics have been decreasing in quality overall, I think.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1723 on: February 28, 2012, 03:44:29 AM »

I don't think that lyrics are a problem on the Road Salt albums, but on Scarsick it bothers me a bit.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1724 on: February 28, 2012, 04:27:04 AM »
Well, I strongly disagree, but Scarsick did have a few meh moments lyrically.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1725 on: February 28, 2012, 07:23:16 AM »
I really like the lyrics of Scarsick, actually.  Definitely a bit hyperbolic, but very direct and powerful.  It's the Road Salt One lyrics that I thought were a little bit weaker, I can't help but find all of the repetition of "crying" and "the road" fairly cliche.  RS2 is much better about that, though.  Really can't see any sort of linear decrease in the lyrics. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #1726 on: February 28, 2012, 09:26:33 AM »
Road Salt had some good lyrics, but a lot of it seemed to be "Well.....I should probably be singing about sex and sadness, and if I sound like I'm crying, then I can say whatever I want".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1727 on: February 28, 2012, 01:15:05 PM »
I really like the Road Salt lyrics.

With Scarsick, there's some amazing stuff and in general I like it, but there are a few moments dotted throughout that don't sit too well with me.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1728 on: February 28, 2012, 02:06:28 PM »
I really like the Road Salt lyrics.

With Scarsick, there's some amazing stuff and in general I like it, but there are a few moments dotted throughout that don't sit too well with me.

I just remember when Daniel used to paint a picture with his words, and while he does that on occasion still, he generally just straightforwardly describes stuff now adays. And most people are cool with that, so that's cool, I just prefer his more imagery and emotion based lyrics that didn't require the overly emotion delivery to have an effect. 
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1729 on: February 28, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
With Scarsick, yeah I agree. But I don't agree at all with the Road Salt albums.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1730 on: February 28, 2012, 10:18:57 PM »
With Scarsick, yeah I agree. But I don't agree at all with the Road Salt albums.

Yes you do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1731 on: February 29, 2012, 12:42:57 AM »
I agree.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1732 on: March 07, 2012, 02:22:51 PM »
3 days, let's hope for a good set list.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Adami

« Reply #1733 on: March 07, 2012, 02:28:24 PM »

I'm actually glad I'm not seeing them anytime soon. I have almost no desire to see a set list that consists of 80% RS material, plus diffidentia (which I love...but come on!), ashes (same) and maybe a scarsick song. And I REALLY have very little desire to see a PoS without the Johan's or Fredrick. It was bad enough when Kristopher left.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1734 on: March 07, 2012, 02:53:50 PM »

I'm actually glad I'm not seeing them anytime soon. I have almost no desire to see a set list that consists of 80% RS material, plus diffidentia (which I love...but come on!), ashes (same) and maybe a scarsick song. And I REALLY have very little desire to see a PoS without the Johan's or Fredrick. It was bad enough when Kristopher left.

As far as I know they haven't played Diffidentia this tour, but overall I get your point. Ashes is a song I'm a bit tired of myself, while it's a good song, they could have switched it with something more interesting.
But apart from playing some of the best Road Salt-songs (Physics of Gridlock, Deeper Cut, Healing Now, No Way and Sisters), they also play some really fantastic songs like The Perfect Element, Iter Impius, Enter Rain and Stress (holy shit!).
So yeah, all in all I feel very happy with the setlist. And I hope to god that I get all the songs I love when I see them, if they cut out TPE or Physics of Gridlock I'll be sad. :(

Offline Adami

« Reply #1735 on: March 08, 2012, 12:33:26 AM »
I'd love to see some of the new setlists. I wasn't aware of some of those songs, although I have no desire to see songs like No Way.

But I think my main problem is the line up change. It doesn't feel like Pain of Salvation anymore, it's just Daniel. And while Daniel obviously was the heart of the band, I always saw them as a BAND, not just 4 back up players to Daniel who can be replaced at any time. I think the chemistry they had up through BE was just...incredible and has been lacking since. Kristopher's absence brought it down a notch, then Johan leaving on drums made me lose a lot of interest as I can't stand their new drummer. Now Tarzan and Billy Corgan are gone and it just feels....dead. I had developed a love for that line up, and now it's gone. It's the same reason it's hard to have a desire to bands like see Iced Earth or Stratovarius anymore.

They're still my favorite band, I will buy every CD and DVD they make and will continue to think of Entropia, One Hour, TPE, Remedy Lane and BE to be the greatest albums ever made, but yea....it's just not PoS to me anymore.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:42:10 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1736 on: March 08, 2012, 01:05:34 AM »
Now Tarzan and Billy Corgan
:lol

I can see what you're saying, but Leo in particular really feels like part of the band now, and had great chemistry when I saw them, and the keyboardist has played live with them on bass a number of times so has a good connection too. The new guitarist will take a little time to settle in, of course, and he's no Johan, but still did a really good job.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1737 on: March 08, 2012, 10:40:31 AM »
Now Tarzan and Billy Corgan
:lol

I can see what you're saying, but Leo in particular really feels like part of the band now, and had great chemistry when I saw them, and the keyboardist has played live with them on bass a number of times so has a good connection too. The new guitarist will take a little time to settle in, of course, and he's no Johan, but still did a really good job.

They're not strangers of course, but they're not PoS band members as far as I feel. Fredrick and the Johan's were in the band for over a decade. Having played a few select shows doesn't really count as being a familiar part of everything. And Leo....eh. He's just not my type of drummer, I felt this way ever since I first heard RS1. Just don't like his style what so ever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1738 on: March 09, 2012, 08:33:29 AM »
Generally I agree. It feels weird seeing pictures of them now, with not ONE single member left from the BE era.

I have no doubt that Daniel will have no problem writing more amazing albums. I will buy them, and I will continue to see them whenever I can. But it will never quite be the same.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1739 on: March 09, 2012, 09:53:33 AM »
I had no,idea everyone but Daniel left.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1740 on: March 09, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »
Here's a list of the songs they played this week in Aschaffenburg/Germany (not in order, but from the albums):

Road Salt Two:
Softly She Cries, Healing Now, To The Shoreline, The Deeper Cut, The Physics Of Gridlock

Road Salt One:
No Way, Sisters, Linoleum

Scarsick:
Kingdom Of Loss

Be:
Iter Impius

Remedy Lane:
Ending Theme, Chain Sling

The Perfect Element:
Ashes, The Perfect Element

Entropia:
Stress

Love Gun:
Shock Me (Kiss-Cover)
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1741 on: March 09, 2012, 01:05:57 PM »
Sounds good, not complaining since they are touring around the Road Salt albums.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1742 on: March 11, 2012, 08:43:13 AM »
Allright, that was one of the best, if not the best, gig I've ever seen. God damnit, those guys rule.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1743 on: March 11, 2012, 11:31:42 AM »
 :tup

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1744 on: March 12, 2012, 06:34:04 AM »
Allright, that was one of the best, if not the best, gig I've ever seen. God damnit, those guys rule.

Damn, I'm glad you had a good time, I just don't have the money. Too bad for me, I hope they'll release a DVD though!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1745 on: March 12, 2012, 07:44:45 AM »

Damn, I'm glad you had a good time, I just don't have the money. Too bad for me, I hope they'll release a DVD though!

That could actually well be the case.. They were filming the entire performance and did the scream contest thing a couple of times.
Setlist (I filled it in on setlist.fm, so I'm sure it's the right one ;) )

I was actually VERY impressed with the Road Salt songs. I didn't really like them on CD, but live they kicked some serious ass. The band was tighter than any band I've seen before (maybe bar Opeth), but their performance totally blew anything else out the water. Great stage performance, great crowd interaction. It was awesome.
Squ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1746 on: March 18, 2012, 04:19:15 PM »
Just came home from the concert, was awesome. Managed to pull my back, and stretch my knee, so I was sorta limping home, and I doubt I can walk to school tomorrow.  :lol Still, totally worth it!
Nothing out of the ordinary as far as the setlist goes, it's pretty much what they have played lately. (from what I understand)
Still, for those interested:

1. Softly She Cries
2. Ashes
3. Linoleum
4. The Deeper Cut
5. 1979
6. To the Shoreline
7. Iter Impius
8. Chain Sling
9. The Perfect Element
10. Stress
11. Kingdom of Loss
12. Healing Now
13. No Way
-----Encores------
14. Cover-song with Daniel on drums and Leo on vocals. I thought it was Kiss, but my dad was pretty sure that it was a Moodey Blues-cover.
15. Enter Rain
16. The Physics of Gridlock
17. Sisters

All I can say is awesome. When they played Enter Rain I was slightly bummed because I thought they wouldn't play Gridlock (normally they've played Enter Rain before the encore), but when I got both it was just awesome.
Highlights: Iter Impius, The Perfect Element & The Physics of Gridlock, three of my favorite PoS songs.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1747 on: March 18, 2012, 04:23:38 PM »
Way too much RS. I know that's the album they're touring for, but that's over 50% RS songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1748 on: March 18, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »
Way too much RS. I know that's the album they're touring for, but that's over 50% RS songs.

Who cares? They played some of the best RS-songs. :P The Physics of Gridlock, Sisters, Healing Now & The Deeper Cut are among the best songs they've made since BE imo.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1749 on: March 18, 2012, 05:29:17 PM »

Who cares? They played some of the best RS-songs. :P The Physics of Gridlock, Sisters, Healing Now & The Deeper Cut are among the best songs they've made since BE imo.

I care. Sisters would be cool I guess, and Healing Now, but even though I like a decent amount of the songs, I'd rather see the way better songs from their previous albums than RS song after RS song with the usual songs from previous albums, a cover song and only 1 or 2 nice surprises.
fanticide.bandcamp.com