Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 443768 times)

Offline EstyMaJ

Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #1540 on: November 18, 2011, 08:49:34 AM »
Ok i will say it POS have been boring to me since BE i do like some scarsick but other than that BORING!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1541 on: November 18, 2011, 08:52:07 AM »
Not really that controversial, while I did really like RS2, neither RS1 or Scarsick do much for me, and would rank in low among the PoS albums.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1542 on: November 18, 2011, 08:53:26 AM »
Oh, I dunno. Aside from his attitude and various comments others have pointed out, there's just the way he presents himself in the videos and whatnot.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1543 on: November 18, 2011, 12:33:07 PM »
Ok i will say it POS have been boring to me since BE i do like some scarsick but other than that BORING!
I don't think they've released anything particularly great since 12:5, so you're not the only one who's unimpressed.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #1544 on: November 18, 2011, 03:16:40 PM »
I don't think they've released anything particularly great since 12:5, so you're not the only one who's unimpressed.

Interesting I'm exact opposite. Road Salt albums are probably my favorite POS albums there is so much emotion in those songs and I love Scarsick as well... I got into POS through Remedy Lane and TPE and I still think those albums are really great but I prefer current POS direction

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1545 on: November 19, 2011, 04:46:12 AM »
You're getting that NOW?  :lol
I thought it was quite clear that he was a bit of a douche since ages ago, but apparently not... he definitely falls under the 'pretentious'-category.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to meet him and he's probably nice too, but he has the highest thoughts of himself. :P

I didn't really start noticing changes until after Scarsick (been a fan since around BE). He's always been kinda pretentious and arrogant, but only over the past few years does that seem to have translated into outright vanity.
He was very obviously being tongue-in-cheek with that facebook comment.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1546 on: November 19, 2011, 04:57:18 AM »
Not that weird behavior IMO.
Honestly, many fans act like such retards sometimes, they complain that album X sucks shit, or that "the band hasn't done anything good since album Y" and similar things, it can't be easy for artists and bands to hear that kinda of criticism either.
Sometimes it doesn't even matter what they do, if they do something one way they'll hear criticism from some fans, if they go another way they'll get shit from other fans.

And in this example, I think Daniel gave a good answer to the facebook-post.
Yeah, two members are leaving, but is he supposed to disband Pain of Salvation completely? No, instead they are moving on, and I think it's a good thing personally. :P
The problem with many fans complaining is that it's very hard to please them, calling PoS a Daniel Gildenlöw project because two members are leaving (and have to be replaced) is one thing, but if he had ended Pain of Salvation instead, they would have complained about that instead.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #1547 on: November 19, 2011, 05:02:41 AM »
I'm also not sure why people seem so surprised or even offended at one of the musicians behind music they enjoy not being an awesome person in their eyes - I thought it was common knowledge that just because they make good music doesn't make them people you'd want to hang out with in the pub.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1548 on: November 19, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »
I'm also not sure why people seem so surprised or even offended at one of the musicians behind music they enjoy not being an awesome person in their eyes - I thought it was common knowledge that just because they make good music doesn't make them people you'd want to hang out with in the pub.
I don't think it's surprise really, more like disappointment.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1549 on: November 19, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »
Faemer, that is the truth. And why i despise most fans. Especially us fans
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1550 on: November 19, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »
RS2 is amazing. RS1 is meh. Scarsick blows. That's my thoughts. :P

Then BE is one of the best albums ever made. :heart :heart :heart :heart

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1551 on: November 20, 2011, 02:29:26 AM »
RS2 is amazing. RS1 is meh. Scarsick blows. That's my thoughts. :P

Then BE is one of the best albums ever made. :heart :heart :heart :heart

Exaggeration perhaps, but I agree somewhat with what you're saying.

But I would say it more like this: I love BE, I love RS2, RS1 is fairly average, Scarsick has a few tracks but doesn't do much for me.

Offline faemir

« Reply #1552 on: November 20, 2011, 08:09:06 AM »

Well either way it's a wake-up call to not admire musicians for anything other than their music, unless other knowledge proves anything more. "Oh he makes awesome music, he must be an amazing person" is a ridiculous leap of logic.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #1553 on: November 21, 2011, 05:52:24 AM »

Well either way it's a wake-up call to not admire musicians for anything other than their music, unless other knowledge proves anything more. "Oh he makes awesome music, he must be an amazing person" is a ridiculous leap of logic.

Agreed.

Personally, I don't care about meeting the likes of Daniel Gildenlow, Steven Wilson or Mikael Akerfeldt. But that doesn't mean i'm a lesser fan than someone who does. I respect their music, and that's all that really matters to me. They're musicians.

Unless DG was a complete and utter twat (which he isn't) I'd still have time for his music. Same goes with any other artist, pompous/big-headed or not.

For me, all of this starts with the majority of music fans 'idolizing' these guys as role models. They're just human beings, like anyone else. More talented maybe, but humans nonetheless. Like anyone else, they will occasionally let you down.

Just for the record, none of DG's comments have ever bothered me. Not even in the slightest. If he was a racist piece of crap, then that would be a different story.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1554 on: November 21, 2011, 06:33:25 AM »
The same goes for people 'wanting to meet their heroes'. I've been to see DT about 8 times in the last ten years or so and have never had the urge to go up and 'wait by the tourbus until they come out' or something...If they happen to be in the same room as me, that's a different story, but wait outside in the freezing cold, are you kidding me? No way I'd ever think of doing that.

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1555 on: November 21, 2011, 10:55:21 AM »
Yup. I'm the same way, i'm not gonna spend twice the ticket price to see said artist for one min.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1556 on: November 21, 2011, 03:56:39 PM »
Listening to Remedy Lane again just confirms that POS need to back to writing progressive metal as soon as possible. This is too good to leave alone.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1557 on: November 22, 2011, 08:22:49 AM »
Listening to Remedy Lane again just confirms that POS need to back to writing progressive metal as soon as possible. This is too good to leave alone.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. The Road Salt albums are totally refreshing, they sound very, very good, and the songs are really great. IMO, offcourse. I really think that, although I love RL, TPE and Be, these two albums are a great way of blending awesome music with some progressive touches.
In a way they've progressed prog.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1558 on: November 22, 2011, 09:32:40 AM »
While I think the Road Salt albums (especially Two) are refreshing, I'd much rather have another The Perfect Element/Remedy Lane then Road Salt 3 at this point. :P

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #1559 on: November 22, 2011, 10:29:03 AM »
I'm pretty sure DG has mentioned making TPE3 (or TPE2: "She" as I imagine it might be called), saying that it'd be epic and orchestral. That probably won't happen now though, as he seems to be heading further away from that direction every album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1560 on: November 22, 2011, 12:01:05 PM »
I'm not quite sure what to think.
While TPE is one of my favorite PoS albums (probably tied with Entropia as my favorite), I don't care much for Scarsick sadly, even though it has some songs I like.
My main issue with Scarsick was mostly lyrics, but few songs lacked that major hook for me (the songs I really like would be Flame to the Moth, America and the title-track, maybe Enter Rain as well)
Songs like Cribcaged and Kingdom of Loss have a lot of potential, but lyrics sorta destroyed them for me, a bit at least (dragged them down), and the other songs I haven't mentioned.. I won't say I dislike them, but I don't really care for them either. :/

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #1561 on: November 22, 2011, 05:54:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure DG has mentioned making TPE3 (or TPE2: "She" as I imagine it might be called), saying that it'd be epic and orchestral. That probably won't happen now though, as he seems to be heading further away from that direction every album.

What kind of sense does TPE2: "She" make? What about TPE3: "She"

Anyway I think that epic and orchestral TPE3 might be the next album easily did you expect album like Scarsick after BE? Or album like Road Salt after Scarsick? So why not?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1562 on: November 22, 2011, 08:01:11 PM »

I'm happy to agree with this 100%
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #1563 on: November 23, 2011, 11:06:40 AM »

What kind of sense does TPE2: "She" make? What about TPE3: "She"

Anyway I think that epic and orchestral TPE3 might be the next album easily did you expect album like Scarsick after BE? Or album like Road Salt after Scarsick? So why not?

Well, TPE2: "He" could be just part 1 of part 2, if you know what I mean. And TPE2: "She" could be part 2 of part 2. Just a thought I had. Remember, in the TPE booklet, the entire concept is listed at "a planned two-part concept".

And sorry, orchestral was the wrong word, I think he said "symphonic". And "why not", because to me, the word "symphonic" suggests a very classic, diatonic kind of harmony (probably because of "symphonic metal"). Also, when "POS" and "symphonic" are mentioned, I automatically think of "BE". So I think he could definitely go orchestral, just not necessarily what I would call "symphonic".

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1564 on: November 23, 2011, 11:14:40 AM »
UK tour in February!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1565 on: November 23, 2011, 11:18:52 AM »
Is anyone else even more confused regarding the Frederik situation?  Kind of odd for them to release a request for Johan's replacement but not even touch on the issue of the keyboardist spot. 

Part of me is really hoping that this means that Frederik really is staying with them and this was all a big misunderstanding.  Either way, it kind of sucks that they (Daniel) are being this vague about the supposed departure of one member and not another. 

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #1566 on: November 23, 2011, 11:21:59 AM »
UK tour in February!

Have they announced dates?!

EDIT:

FUCKING
YESSS

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=251101351612926

TINY venue in my city. This will be amazing

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1567 on: November 23, 2011, 04:09:28 PM »
AWESOME

Ticket booked for the London show at the Garage, which is also a tiny venue.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #1568 on: November 23, 2011, 04:30:35 PM »
Literally never thought I'd see this band play a headline set

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1569 on: November 23, 2011, 04:36:05 PM »
Literally never thought I'd see this band play a headline set

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1570 on: November 23, 2011, 06:26:03 PM »
In b4 TheVoxyn comes and says he has seem them headline 4 times already.

o shi-

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #1571 on: November 24, 2011, 12:20:26 AM »

o shi-

WAT

Offline faemir

« Reply #1572 on: November 24, 2011, 06:08:26 AM »
I'm totally going to that Leeds gig!

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1573 on: November 24, 2011, 07:20:23 AM »
I'm totally going to that Leeds gig!

THIS!!!  :metal

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1574 on: November 24, 2011, 07:51:26 AM »

o shi-

WAT
:millahhhh