Author Topic: Does anyone know how to connect an LED light to a pedal?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Kornflake

Does anyone know how to connect an LED light to a pedal?
« on: August 20, 2010, 10:18:04 PM »
I have a Line 6 M13 stompbox modeler and go to the Line 6 forum quite often.  Someone there posted an image and some info on how he made his own expression pedal for the unit.  It's not like a wah-type though.  It's more like just a footswitch with the off being the heel position and the on being the toe position of the expression pedal.  It would work great as a boost pedal for leads and stuff though.  It's basically just a Mono input jack with two wires running to a switch with a 10k resistor between the two cables on the switch.
I have no experiance with making my own pedals, but this looks really really easy.  I wanted to add an LED to mine though.  Can anyone tell me how I would do that?  I have read that one end of the LED connects to the switch and the other end is the ground.  But do I need something else in there...like another resistor or something?  Would this change the 10K resistor I would need between the two wires running to the switch?  Does the size/colour of the LED matter?  I was looking at a LED T-1 3/4 5mm clear lens green in color, 10000mcd (Just cut and pasted the description from the website...I have no idea what that stuff actually means)
If you plug a cable into the exp input without any pedal it measures around 3.15V without any load... If that helps at all?

I don't know if anyone here has ever done this sort of stuff, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.  I have asked the same question in the Line 6 forum as well.  I figure I'll give it a few days and if I can't get any help, then I'll just do the pedal with no LED....though it would be way cooler with a light.

If anyone knows how to hook this all together can you please let me know...and if it's not too much to ask, can you explain it to me as though I'm a 4 year old because I really have no idea what all this stuff means.

Thanks in advance to anyone who even takes the time to read this.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
Re: Does anyone know how to connect an LED light to a pedal?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 04:18:01 AM »
o_O    4 years old?  for real?   I can't help you though, sorry

Offline Kornflake

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 10:05:34 AM »
BRGM, you know what I mean.  I'm no electrician or anything.  I don't know what a lot of stuff is called.  I just mean to not use all kinds of technical terms and assume that I know what people are talking about.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 10:22:13 AM »
Yeah, I do not know what those terms and stuff are either : / Good luck though

Offline Kornflake

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »
Thanks a lot.  I know how to make it without the light because someone showed me exactly what I need, but I think it would be way better with an on/off indicator.  Things aren't looking good though.  I think I'll just have to end up going without the LED  :(

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 03:59:59 PM »
Experiment! Check around the net! ask someone that know this kinda stuff in a store or something :)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 01:08:48 AM »
Experiment! Check around the net! ask someone that know this kinda stuff in a store or something :)

I just wanna say you're being super helpful dude.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 03:17:39 AM »
meeeh!  :angry: :neverusethis:

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 01:40:18 AM »
Plug it in and try it.  If your measurement is correct, you'll have just enough voltage to turn on the diode, but there may not be enough current.  If the light is really dim, you'll probably want to swap out the resistor with a smaller one.  The worst thing that'll happen is you'll blow out your diode.

Offline Kornflake

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 09:36:16 PM »
So it won't break my pedal or anything like that?  Thanks a lot.  I'll give it a try and see what happens