Author Topic: Violence and the downfall of the US  (Read 5123 times)

Offline AndyDT

Violence and the downfall of the US
« on: August 20, 2010, 06:50:30 AM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7944563/The-truth-behind-Americas-civilian-militias.html

Armed and extremely... patriotic. Why a growing number of Americans are preparing for a war against their government.

This is what John Schaffer seems to be talking about on Sons of Liberty. I'll say this now, I fear that a country born in violence will die by violence.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
Re: Violence and the downfall of the US
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 06:54:15 AM »
As long as the government is living peoples' lives for them, I doubt they will revolt over anything.  We will be stripped of all freedoms and customs, and even then I'm not sure people will care.  People are sheep, and only the wolves are keen to what's happening.  Unfortunately, not much can be done right now.
Sorry if i got off topic.

Also, shouldn't this be P/R?

EDIT:  Also, Texas.

DOUBLEEDIT:  If anything, I applaud this man's actions.  He is doing EXACTLY what the second amendment protects.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 06:56:55 AM »
I'll say this now, I fear that a country born in violence will die by violence.

When has any country, nation, empire been established peacefully?  When has any country, nation, empire phase through revolution peacefully?  When has any country, nation, empire collapse peacefully?

edit:  These grassroots movements and militia are really non-issues that get air time on the likes of Fox News to give the false image that something is happening in America.  ITS NOT.  They are just a small group of angry, ignorant people and sadly that's what sells on TV and the front page of the tabloids.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:05:39 AM by soundgarden »

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 07:07:09 AM »

When has any country, nation, empire been established peacefully?  When has any country, nation, empire phase through revolution peacefully?  When has any country, nation, empire collapse peacefully?

^^Beat me to it.

And Im really concerned that the few thousand "militia" members are going to overthrow the government.   :\   Especially when 2/3 of them just talk a good game, and will run and hide behind their stack of Guns and Ammo magazines if called upon to fight the military.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 07:26:03 AM »
lolsecondamendment

When has any country, nation, empire been established peacefully?  When has any country, nation, empire phase through revolution peacefully?  When has any country, nation, empire collapse peacefully?

While this is true, America happens to have a slighty more violent touch to their history in juist a fraction of some other countries. Will it hurt them, maybe. I wouldn't worry about this though. Just a bunch of idiots playing soldier.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 07:32:47 AM »
lolsecondamendment

While this is true, America happens to have a slighty more violent touch to their history in juist a fraction of some other countries. Will it hurt them, maybe. I wouldn't worry about this though. Just a bunch of idiots playing soldier.

wait, are you saying America had a MORE or LESS violent history compared to other nations.

lolsecondamendment

I fully support the 2nd Amendment, though.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 07:42:42 AM »
These militias are scary, and ridiculous.  Thank goodness Canada isn't a backwater swamp that breeds this sort of nonsense.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 08:20:04 AM »
These militias are scary, and ridiculous.  Thank goodness Canada isn't a backwater swamp that breeds this sort of nonsense.

Except if the french speaking part of Canada want to secede, which they've cried about for a long, long time.  No country is free of violence.  Besides, you gave us Bob Probert.  That's enough to start a war. ;D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 08:22:49 AM »
Shut up.  Violence kicks ass!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 08:24:22 AM »
Shut up.  Violence kicks ass!

Team America, Fuck yea!!!  :laugh:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 09:19:05 AM »
The irony is that the areas where those militiamen are prone to pop up are the ones that every year receive shitloads of federal money because their area is constantly ravaged by tornadoes and the like. You know, just like Quebec who wants to secede because they currently conveniently live on federal Canadian support.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 11:02:15 AM »
Andy, there must be far better things to be worried about with the US than an issue a Telegraph article draws out of proportion.  The article tells us that there are idiots in the world, and that when race is involved more idiots congregate.  Their evidence for impending doom is mostly a few extremist Texans and unqualified data on growth of extremist groups, wonderfully done.  We're still a far cry from dealing with the amount of groups like this than even, say, Spain.  Many countries have to deal with extremists on a more daily basis.  That they're dangerous doesn't make them significant enough to topple a government.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »
I also don't understand why Andy continues to read that newspaper. I mean, we've had thread after thread on this forum where we showcased the newspaper's lack of journalistic integrity.
Maybe you don't like the other newspaper because you have the impression they don't tackle the "real issues", but maybe the real reason is that the Telegraph says things that simply aren't true.

rumborak

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 11:48:09 AM »
I also don't understand why Andy continues to read that newspaper. I mean, we've had thread after thread on this forum where we showcased the newspaper's lack of journalistic integrity.
Maybe you don't like the other newspaper because you have the impression they don't tackle the "real issues", but maybe the real reason is that the Telegraph says things that simply aren't true.

rumborak

In any media these days they don't report the news, they inject their beliefs. Media has changed over the last 30 years.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 11:58:01 AM »
They all do, of course. But there are newspapers that have a journalistic ethos, and there are some that don't.
A friend of mine works at the Boston Globe, and he sometimes manages the web front page. I remember him talking about the decision he had to make regarding the "balloon kid" (remember, the infant that was thought to be in the balloon, but turned out in the attic). The question he asked himself continuously was, "Fox is running this currently. But, is this Globe standard? It's unconfirmed and all hearsay up to this point. Should I put this story on the front page?".
He did end up putting it on the front page, but in a very stripped-down version, essentially just iterating the so-far known facts, and none of the hearsay.

rumborak

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 01:51:09 PM »

edit:  These grassroots movements and militia are really non-issues that get air time on the likes of Fox News to give the false image that something is happening in America.  ITS NOT.  They are just a small group of angry, ignorant people and sadly that's what sells on TV and the front page of the tabloids.

Countries like Kenya and especially India thanks in large part to Ghandi (through non-violent resistance, not "passive" resistance as he says in the Richard Attenborough/Ben Kingsley film) were more or less peaceful at the point of independence. The US violently overthrew fellow countymen to gain independence.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 02:13:12 PM »
They all do, of course. But there are newspapers that have a journalistic ethos, and there are some that don't.
A friend of mine works at the Boston Globe, and he sometimes manages the web front page. I remember him talking about the decision he had to make regarding the "balloon kid" (remember, the infant that was thought to be in the balloon, but turned out in the attic). The question he asked himself continuously was, "Fox is running this currently. But, is this Globe standard? It's unconfirmed and all hearsay up to this point. Should I put this story on the front page?".
He did end up putting it on the front page, but in a very stripped-down version, essentially just iterating the so-far known facts, and none of the hearsay.

rumborak

You hear a lot of this since it's owned by the New York Times Company but both papers have come under fire of late for pushing certain views. I just think the the media has it's agenda.  It's turned me off of late where I don't even watch any news except for the weather $ sports.  I know how bad that sounds, but of late, I've needed a break from it all.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 03:24:20 PM »

Countries like Kenya and especially India thanks in large part to Ghandi (through non-violent resistance, not "passive" resistance as he says in the Richard Attenborough/Ben Kingsley film) were more or less peaceful at the point of independence. The US violently overthrew fellow countrymen to gain independence.

More or less?  I'm sorry but the independence movement, even with Ghandi, was terribly violent.  Ghandi's methods gave an aura of non-violent resistance to the outside world.  While the man preached peace, violence was very much a reality throughout.    

Alternately, for Americans Dr. King's peace talk was not able to mask the violence of the days.  It gave a sense of non-violence but was not reality.  

and EVEN if you were right, you have one or two exceptions to a historical constant.  Big deal.

The US violently overthrew fellow countrymen to gain independence.

The US requested proper representation and fair share of their "countrymen"s prosperity.  Violence was the end result of a series of events beginning with democratic and peaceful methods (just like any revolution throughout history).

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 03:29:34 PM »

Countries like Kenya and especially India thanks in large part to Ghandi (through non-violent resistance, not "passive" resistance as he says in the Richard Attenborough/Ben Kingsley film) were more or less peaceful at the point of independence. The US violently overthrew fellow countrymen to gain independence.

More or less?  I'm sorry but the independence movement, even with Ghandi, was terribly violent.  Ghandi's methods gave an aura of non-violent resistance to the outside world.  While the man preached peace, violence was very much a reality throughout.    

Alternately, for Americans Dr. King's peace talk was not able to mask the violence of the days.  It gave a sense of non-violence but was not reality.  

and EVEN if you were right, you have one or two exceptions to a historical constant.  Big deal.

Only one and only ever one exception is needed or necessary to prove and demonstrate something to the contrary of a pronounced universal rule. I believe that to be a truth. The point is violence to my understanding did not win the order of the day - independence - in Kenya or India.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
but thats not what I am saying though, I am saying there weren't EVER any exceptions.   I have relatives who lived during India's independence.  For them Ghandi was a voice, a saintly image and idea of hope in a constant reality of poverty, abuse, and death.

(i admit though, i don't know about Kenya..but I would bet my last dollar it was a similar story)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 08:20:09 PM »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 11:36:15 AM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7944563/The-truth-behind-Americas-civilian-militias.html

Armed and extremely... patriotic. Why a growing number of Americans are preparing for a war against their government.

This is what John Schaffer seems to be talking about on Sons of Liberty. I'll say this now, I fear that a country born in violence will die by violence.

I would not be surprised at all if that's true. But what of Schaffer? I can't figure out if he's for all this militia stuff or not.