Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 58987 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #665 on: June 22, 2023, 12:10:11 PM »
The green is where the game is won. I played a new course for the first time, Whirlpool something or other, when I visited Niagara Falls last weekend. I went 47/46 while three putting ELEVEN holes. If I wasn't hitting it 5' past the hole, I was leaving it several feet short. I just couldn't find anything that resembled a groove.   

They were by far the hardest greens I've putted on in a long time.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #666 on: June 22, 2023, 12:18:32 PM »
The green is where the game is won. I played a new course for the first time, Whirlpool something or other, when I visited Niagara Falls last weekend. I went 47/46 while three putting ELEVEN holes. If I wasn't hitting it 5' past the hole, I was leaving it several feet short. I just couldn't find anything that resembled a groove.   

Yep. Sadly, I three putted three different birdie opportunities. Two were pretty lengthy but one I was SO confident I had the line (probably a 6 foot putt) that I hit it pretty hard thinking I was going to hit center cut of the hole and I missed and it ran 10 foot by the hole  :facepalm:

I honestly was just happy I've (seemingly) regained confidence in my drive....at least to the point where driving wasn't my issue today like it has been the last four or five rounds I've played.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #667 on: June 22, 2023, 01:38:30 PM »
I had just the opposite this morning playing nine holes. I only had 15 putts total for an average of 1.7 per hole. Four one-putts, with only one three-putt feels pretty good to me. Scored 42 for the round.

I swear, if I could tame my driver and short irons I could score really well...but, of course, that's golf.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: June 29, 2023, 01:57:21 PM »
I've walked 45 holes this week, 18 on Monday, 9 on Tuesday, & 18 this morning. Man am I knackered!

Starting to see some good results with the new swing and the work I've been doing with my approach shots. I hit 7 of 9 greens in regulation on the back nine but because the greens were aerated this week I didn't have much opportunity to capitalize on it. I had 22 putts for the nine and finished with a 40 for that side. Don't want to even talk about the front nine...

Do y'all tend to warm up on the range prior to you rounds? Mrs. P doesn't like to get to the course that early so never feel like I'm warmed up until the fourth hole or so. I've got to believe I could lower my front nine scores if I went to the range for even just a few minutes. Ah well...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: June 29, 2023, 02:18:06 PM »
Do y'all tend to warm up on the range prior to you rounds?

I like to, yes. Not for a long time, maybe hit 20-30 balls. Usually hit my wedge, 7 iron, a hybrid and my driver. Then spend 10 minutes or so on the putting green. There are times though (like yesterday) when I just show up and go.

Went with my neighbor yesterday afternoon to grab a quick 9 holes. Shot a 42....which....still ticked me off because I finished triple, double.  :censored  Had a good nine holes going until then but found OB twice on hole 8 and once on hole 9. I was putting good though and for the most part was striking the ball well.

Have a tee time for this Sunday with some folks as well.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: June 29, 2023, 03:06:17 PM »
I'm playing Sunday as well...at this jewel Wasatch State Park Golf Course

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #671 on: June 30, 2023, 01:20:57 AM »

Do y'all tend to warm up on the range prior to you rounds?
Recently I prioritized warming up putting and chipping instead of long shots. The best is of course to do a little of everything but max 20-30mins especially if doing 18 after.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #672 on: June 30, 2023, 01:24:55 AM »
The green is where the game is won.
Ohh it so is, I have fumbled away so many great opportunities on the green.  :facepalm:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #673 on: June 30, 2023, 06:31:10 AM »
The green is where the game is won.
Ohh it so is, I have fumbled away so many great opportunities on the green.  :facepalm:

I shot a 44 after work last night with 22 putts *pukes*. I was hitting the shit out of the ball and had 6 or 7 greens in regulation. I didn't one-putt a single green.   

Re-driving range before play: If there's a ranger where I'm playing, I always try to hit first. My main course has bucket inclusion as part of the pass I have, so I always get 20-30 warmup swings in. It makes all the difference in the world, IMO. However, maybe I should spend that time on the putting green instead  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: June 30, 2023, 07:17:27 AM »
Yesterday I had one of those moments that keep us all coming back to this stupid game.

I'd fanned my tee shot off ten yards into the rough on right side of the fairway where I found my ball sitting on an extreme side hill lie.  Our course was designed by Johnny Miller and features a lot of moguls in the rough areas that tend to kick your ball toward hazards or out of bounds. My ball was resting on the back side of one of these moguls 200 yards out from the center of the green. When I took my stance it was such an awkward lie--with the ball below my feet, yet I'd have to swing up the hill at the same time. I grabbed my 4-iron and took a couple of half speed practice swings to get a feel for what I needed to do and how the club would interact with the grass. Suddenly, my mind went quiet and my instincts took over. I addressed the ball and executed a perfect swing. The ball rocketed off the center of my club face and flew directly at the flag. I couldn't really see the green or the landing area but I did see the ball bound directly forward. I collected my bag and walked back out in the fairway. Mrs. P was solemnly applauding, so I looked toward the green and my ball had come to rest 12 feet from the pin.

God, does that feel good when it happens!!  :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #675 on: June 30, 2023, 12:25:25 PM »
The U.S. Senior Open is taking place in my home town in Central Wisconsin. I currently live a half hour from the course but unfortunately it is my weekend rotation for work. I hope the city is able to handle the logistics of the tournament, not sure they’ve ever hosted anything nearly this big before.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: July 02, 2023, 12:33:26 PM »
Shot an 89 this morning.....43/46. Played pretty well....just a couple holes. Really liking how I'm driving now with this cut down shaft. I was in control pretty much most of the day off the tee. I lost two OB all day long, which on the course we played today was pretty freaking good. Pretty tight fairways with a LOT of water hazards in play. So I was stoked how I drove. Honestly, while 89 isn't the best I've ever shot or even anything to get all ecstatic about....I was pretty happy with how I hit it today.

We played $2 a hole skins as well.....won 9 skins total so that was fun also. Next closest was 6 skins, then 3 and one of the guys didn't win any.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: July 08, 2023, 10:19:07 AM »
91 this morning. 44/47. Still hitting well just can’t shake having three or four really bad holes. Finished my round today triple, triple, double.  >:(     Just bogey those holes and it’s 5 strokes off the card. But, oh well……

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: July 11, 2023, 01:59:20 PM »
Serendipity? I shot a 91 this morning also. 42/49

Like you Gary, I had a few blow up holes with lost ball penalties, but over all a fun round. I had two holes with zero putts--two chip-ins one for a birdie 3 on one of my nemesis holes, the other for a par 4. I also had 3 one-putt pars. The work I've been doing on my chipping and putting is really starting to pay off.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: July 11, 2023, 02:07:22 PM »
Serendipity? I shot a 91 this morning also. 42/49

to add to that.....I played yesterday and shot a 91  45/46  :lol    And that was with 8 pars! There's a course about half hour south of me that while the holes themselves are just your typical golf holes....the greens are BA-ROOT-AL.  I don't know what the stimp meter on them are but I'd have to guess 12-13 easily. The kind where there is no 'flat' putt or pin placment.....no straight putt and if you look at the ball wrong it'll go 15 foot past the hole.

I enjoy putting on greens like that because the reads are usually pretty true but they can lead to too many three putts....which is what happened to me yesterday. Had fun all round but really just threw too many strokes away. Probably my worst round of they year as far as 'chunking' shots.....I didn't keep track of them but easily 6-7 strokes were me hitting the ball 7 or 8 yards by topping it or just chunking it. I didn't tee off unitl 3:10 so it was mid 90's temperature and I was battling the sweat.  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: July 11, 2023, 04:00:21 PM »
Yeah, the heat can be a real issue this time of year. We've hit triple digits the last two days, but Mrs. P and I have been fortunate enough to get the first or second time out (6:23 AM) both on Monday and today. That being said, if there is no wind it can get pretty brutal even in the mid 80's. I didn't hydrate well on Monday and it really put my dick in the dirt yesterday afternoon. This morning, I made a point of drinking water on every hole and literally went through 75 ounces of water...then continued to sip water once I got home. I'm feeling much, much better today. That being said, I didn't need to piss until around 11:30  :lol

[edit] I enjoy faster greens as well. Our home course is consistently fast and in the 12 stimp range. What sucks is when you're used to that and then go play a course that is around 8!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: July 11, 2023, 04:05:18 PM »
Yeah, the heat can be a real issue this time of year. We've hit triple digits the last two days, but Mrs. P and I have been fortunate enough to get the first or second time out (6:23 AM) both on Monday and today. That being said, if there is no wind it can get pretty brutal even in the mid 80's. I didn't hydrate well on Monday and it really put my dick in the dirt yesterday afternoon. This morning, I made a point of drinking water on every hole and literally went through 75 ounces of water...then continued to sip water once I got home. I'm feeling much, much better today. That being said, I didn't need to piss until around 11:30  :lol

Prior to yesterday, the 'latest' I've tee'd off this season is 7:20am. I've been 6:15....6:30ish all year mostly. One thing, this allows me to get a round in and still get home and do some work. Also, just getting out on the course to where you're not waiting on groups in front of you is awesome as well.

Now yesterday, I golfed alone.....tee'd off at 3:10 and was done by 5:10. No one in front of me (this course is pretty far south) so I clipped along at a really good pace. Which, I was also thinking probably had a lot to do with some of my clunkers as the normal tempo and cadence of the shots was way quicker than normal.

I was playing my first shot....then a lot of times  hitting another one or two for practice. Especially chipping around the greens. But, was scoring my first attempts.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: July 11, 2023, 04:27:01 PM »
Do you walk, Gary? We've been walking with push carts. 8 miles, each round which is good for us old farts.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: July 11, 2023, 04:28:03 PM »
Do you walk, Gary? We've been walking with push carts. 8 miles, each round which is good for us old farts.

I have. Not exclusively and not when I play with others. I absolutely should have yesterday because I had time, I could have walked that round and got it in. But I used a cart and just flew through the round.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: July 15, 2023, 12:51:26 PM »
82 this morning fellas. 40/42. Just a couple OB cost me my first chance to shoot in the 70’s. Was on fire from 100 and in….was chipping well and made the putts.

If I had a second shot I was confident with I might actually be good at this maddening sport.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #685 on: July 15, 2023, 01:32:38 PM »
Steph Curry just aced a 171yd par 3 at the South Tahoe celebrity tournament. The fucking dude is unbelievable.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: July 15, 2023, 01:33:57 PM »
Steph Curry just aced a 171yd par 3 at the South Tahoe celebrity tournament. The fucking dude is unbelievable.

He really is. Just a super athlete.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #687 on: July 15, 2023, 01:42:59 PM »

At least he won't have to worry about being able to afford the round of drinks in the clubhouse

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: July 16, 2023, 07:07:41 AM »

At least he won't have to worry about being able to afford the round of drinks in the clubhouse

When I saw the video on reddit the comments made me laugh:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: July 18, 2023, 12:29:38 PM »
Been playing pretty well lately and having more fun now that I've settled into my old man swing. The rest of the season should be fun if we can survive the heat.

I'm looking forward to The Open this weekend and Rory's win at the Scottish positions him well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: July 18, 2023, 01:00:24 PM »
Been playing pretty well lately and having more fun now that I've settled into my old man swing. The rest of the season should be fun if we can survive the heat.

I'm looking forward to The Open this weekend and Rory's win at the Scottish positions him well.

Same on all accounts. Ever since I cut my driver down 3" I've had pretty good control off the tee box....and outside of one round my short game and putting have not been an issue. Playing this weekend with my Dad and brother at a course that I've historically not done very well at, meaning, I've never shot in the 80's there. Always been in the 90's so I'm going to set a goal of 'anything 80's' for that round.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: July 18, 2023, 02:51:22 PM »
I had a bit of a scare yesterday morning, I was even par through the first four holes and feeling serene. Then off the tee on number five I slightly drop-kicked the shot (scuffed the ground behind the ball) and I felt an electric shock down the left side of my back. It kept twinging the rest of the round and I couldn't make solid contact from then on. I packed it in after nine (which was just as well, the temps had just hit 93 at 8:30 am).

I got home and sat in the jetted tub for 45 minutes, toweled off, and liberally applied biofreeze to the injured muscles...kinda just babied it the rest of the day. This morning it felt perfectly fine and I went out this morning and picked up right where I left off. Shot a comfy 4 over par 40--we were only able to get in nine this morning because of a tournament at our home course. One double bogie, two bogies, and the rest pars.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: July 22, 2023, 11:38:13 AM »
F’n 92  >:(    48/44.  Front nine was a cluster. Couple pars and wasn’t hitting all that bad  but the two par 5’s i shot and 8 and a 9…..so……even if I can bogey those two holes that’d have saved me 5 strokes. Anyway…..short game and putting is still staying a strong. Struggled off the tee today though.

I did nearly hole one out on the fly from 120 yds. Hit the bottom of the flag and stuck literally two inches from the hole.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: July 31, 2023, 04:29:27 PM »
Grabbed a quick 9 today….shot a 40. 5 bogeys, three pars and a birdie. Drive was Back on track.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: August 29, 2023, 11:00:10 AM »
The Tour Championship was exciting to watch! I love it when the leaders are battling it out with excellent play. Congratulations to Hovland for a well deserved win. Schaffle nearly caught him on the back nine, but when Viktor rolled in that 25 footer for par on 14, you just knew that the tournament was his.

Had a decent round of 84 (40/44) yesterday that included three birdies for the day. A couple of blow-up holes kept it from being an excellent round.

Then this morning we played nine holes, of which I parred seven, with one bogie and one double for an aggregate of 3 over (39). Just a comfortable, easy time playing today, on a gorgeous late summer morning.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #695 on: August 29, 2023, 11:07:14 AM »
My pendulum has been swinging pretty bad lately. It's been really humid and my shirts tend to bind me up on those days. Last Saturday I played 18. I started triple-double and still finished the day with an 81 (11 pars). Last night after work I shot a 50 on 9   :lol It didn't help that I three-putted 4 greens.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: August 29, 2023, 11:12:59 AM »
My pendulum has been swinging pretty bad lately. It's been really humid and my shirts tend to bind me up on those days. Last Saturday I played 18. I started triple-double and still finished the day with an 81 (11 pars). Last night after work I shot a 50 on 9   :lol It didn't help that I three-putted 4 greens.

I find the bolded to be very impressive, Brian. Way to keep your cool!

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #697 on: August 29, 2023, 11:46:06 AM »

I find the bolded to be very impressive, Brian. Way to keep your cool!

It was a pleasant day for sure. I was hanging my head after the second hole and was preparing for one of those days, but everything fell into place after that and it became one of those effortless rounds. I swear, if I ever had the opportunity to design a golf course, it'd be a 19 hole variant with a score card that starts on hole 2. Hole 1 would be a straight, 475 yard, practice Par 5 that's there to let you shake off any cobwebs. 

The course I play most frequently has a range, but you can't hit diver on it (matts only and you can't get a tee through one). So the first drive or two of the day is always a bit shaky, even if I take 30-40 practice swings at the range. It sucks when you're OB off the first tee just because it's your first time swinging the driver on  the day.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: August 29, 2023, 01:09:39 PM »
Yep.....definitely a good rebound there Brian. Nothing worse than starting with a triple or double and taking a hole or two to get into rhythm. Nice work there.

I've not been able to get out as much as I was a month or two ago...but, am going tomorrow morning. Played last week with a neighbor and shot 87....had the typical couple holes where in lieu of just a bogey I fired a snowman at one of them and a triple on the other....so instead of staring at an 82 or 83 just racked up the extra strokes. The course I'm playing tomorrow I've mentioned in this thread before. The greens are extremely fast, the kind that even looking at the ball makes it roll 17 foot. It's going to be interesting because my body is still recovering from playing (5) hockey games last weekend. Two on Saturday and three on Sunday....so, my 47 year old body has been upset with me yesterday and today  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: August 30, 2023, 01:04:38 PM »
Ooof......97. 48/49. And the odd thing is I didn't feel like I hit the ball all that bad......was just a double bogey machine today. Threw in some pars and a birdie but just could not get anything consistent going as far as stringing together some pars and good shots.

Oh well.....it was utterly beautiful out.....golfed with a buddy of mine I grew up with but hadn't seen in a few years so it's tough to complain too much.