Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 57030 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #455 on: November 11, 2020, 01:11:48 PM »
Nope, that was yesterday, at 16, during the practice round of Fowler and Rahm.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #456 on: November 11, 2020, 09:33:28 PM »
That was nuts. Almost as nuts as it being November 11 and The Masters starts tomorrow.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #457 on: November 12, 2020, 06:49:42 AM »
I'm looking forward to see what the course looks like in November.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: November 12, 2020, 06:56:35 AM »
Rain. It looks like rain.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #459 on: November 12, 2020, 07:06:56 AM »
Today only though correct?  I know that will affect the greens tomorrow as well.  They'll play slower.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: November 15, 2020, 12:31:16 PM »
It is really weird seeing someone hit a great shot at Augusta, and then hear nothing but silence (there is a smattering of clapping, but it is still eerie). 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline T-ski

« Reply #461 on: November 15, 2020, 08:18:57 PM »
Tiger put up a 10 on the par 3 12th in the final round......still had a 39 on the back nine.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: November 16, 2020, 05:43:24 AM »
Congrats to D.J. What a performance! That dude is the consummate professional. During the Butler Cabin interview, I couldn't believe it when he said that he was nervous all day. You never would have known by looking at his demeanor.

It was weird without the patrons, but at times, it was pretty cool too. With all the HD drones the broadcast was using, there were great images of the course and the property that you'd never see otherwise.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #463 on: February 23, 2021, 03:20:41 PM »
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-car-accident-los-angeles

Tiger Woods was hospitalized after being involved in a single-car accident in Los Angeles on Tuesday morning. According to his agent, Mark Steinberg, Woods suffered “multiple” leg injuries.

“He is currently in surgery,” Steinberg told Golf Digest, “and we thank you for your privacy and support.”
That dosen't sound good at all, hopefully he can recover.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #464 on: February 23, 2021, 05:27:31 PM »
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-car-accident-los-angeles

Tiger Woods was hospitalized after being involved in a single-car accident in Los Angeles on Tuesday morning. According to his agent, Mark Steinberg, Woods suffered “multiple” leg injuries.

“He is currently in surgery,” Steinberg told Golf Digest, “and we thank you for your privacy and support.”
That dosen't sound good at all, hopefully he can recover.

As someone who was in a brutal car wreck, had to also be removed via the Jaws of Life, suffered multiple leg injuries which required multiple surgeries - I can tell you it does not sound good. I haven't stepped foot on a golf course since my accident in 2007. Gotten as far as the driving range. When you have 1 knee that was turned into swiss cheese due to a shattered femur and an ankle on the other leg that was wrecked, it makes swinging a club and rotating through very difficult. I miss playing so much. Hoping to one day get it together enough to have the confidence to endure/enjoy a round again.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #465 on: February 25, 2021, 04:15:18 PM »
The more I read about this, the more I think that Tiger Woods is lucky to be alive.  What a horrific accident.  I can't imagine him ever golfing on a competitive level again; you just hope he recovers to where he can walk again.  It's hard not to fear the worst at this point given that it sounds like he was already addicted to painkillers because of his back issues, and now all of these new issues will add more layers of pain.  Just awful.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #466 on: February 25, 2021, 04:48:49 PM »
Yeah. Could have easily been killed. Most reports are saying there was no indication of drugs or alcohol. That stretch of road and section is apparently notorious for that style of accident.....so it appears it was just a horrible accident.

I loved/love watching Tiger play golf. I had hoped he would have broke that record and until this there was an outside chance he could still pull it off. I don’t see how it’s possible he wins another tournament, much less a major ever again.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: February 25, 2021, 06:21:58 PM »
I was never a Tiger guy. I don't dislike him. Whenever I hear about someone who took up golf because of him, I think that's awesome. But I also didn't enjoy watching a tournament when he was clearly out of contention, yet still garnered most of the coverage. "Hey, PGA Pro, you just won the tournament, how do you feel about Tiger coming in 24th?"

I remember someone saying he grew up playing golf for his dad, then he played as a pro for to get to 18 majors, and now is playing for fun. It would be too bad if his playing for fun days were cut short.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #468 on: March 10, 2021, 07:24:36 AM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: March 10, 2021, 08:21:53 AM »
I miss this guy

:lol :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fui7yvebIdk

Yeah. He was hilarious. Still saddened by how he left the world.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #470 on: March 12, 2021, 01:54:58 PM »
Bryson DeChambeaus recent drive was just incredible. You see in slowmotion how much energy he produces in his swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1kFhGapsto&ab_channel=PGATOUR
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: March 18, 2021, 11:38:53 AM »
Just got back from my first round of the season. Felt great to be out walking and laughing with Mrs. P!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: March 18, 2021, 02:25:58 PM »
Just got back from my first round of the season. Felt great to be out walking and laughing with Mrs. P!

I have to do this soon. I know that I’m not going to be able to golf as much as I did last spring / summer. Being furloughed had a plus side and that was golfing twice a week. Was really spoiled but it helped me deal with the fact I couldn’t work or find a job.

I’m assuming I’ll now return to the usual 5-8 rounds a summer like it was pre furlough.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #473 on: March 19, 2021, 10:24:38 AM »
Bryson DeChambeaus recent drive was just incredible. You see in slowmotion how much energy he produces in his swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1kFhGapsto&ab_channel=PGATOUR

I have recently just gotten into golf but BDC has really got me absorbed. What a beast!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #474 on: March 27, 2021, 08:08:51 AM »
Yea that's what i'm missing alot, just going out with some buddies and having fun.
Can't wait getting into the swing again. I've actually signed up for something their calling a defrosting day at my club.  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #475 on: April 01, 2021, 09:10:50 AM »
Was out on the range today and it was a slicefest, hot damn I have to work to get that fixed. Other than that it felt pretty good actually.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: April 01, 2021, 03:52:17 PM »
A slightly stronger grip....moving your hands a bit more clockwise on your shaft is a start.

(for those with their minds in the gutter, I am only talking about a golf club :D)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #477 on: April 02, 2021, 12:38:41 AM »
A slightly stronger grip....moving your hands a bit more clockwise on your shaft is a start.

(for those with their minds in the gutter, I am only talking about a golf club :D)
:tup Yes I saw Rick Shiels talking about that, will try that out.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: April 03, 2021, 06:04:56 AM »

What Shielsie didn't stress enough, IMO, was to take his slice fixes in stages. Start with a strong grip. Don't think about anything just hit your normal shot. Get used to the grip before moving on to changing your swing plane.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #479 on: April 03, 2021, 12:30:06 PM »

What Shielsie didn't stress enough, IMO, was to take his slice fixes in stages. Start with a strong grip. Don't think about anything just hit your normal shot. Get used to the grip before moving on to changing your swing plane.
Hmm in the video I saw he did just that but apparently he has several videos on the topic so this one might be updated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPyRs5Y5HRY&ab_channel=RickShielsGolf

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: May 01, 2021, 02:24:58 PM »
Got out for the first time this year yesterday and recorded an 89. That was with shooting two 7's on two par three's. Both Holes hit the ball in the water hazards then struggled to get into the hole. Was putting really good and outside of those two par three's didn't take any other OB or penalty strokes. Most of my par or bogey putts were 10' or closer and I made a lot of them.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #481 on: May 01, 2021, 02:48:30 PM »
I'm not a good golfer, but your 89 reminded me of the one chance I had at breaking 90. It was on Bethpage Red (second toughest after Black) and going into the last hole, I needed a bogey to make 89. Of course, I doubled it.   :natalieportman: 

That said, my best on Bethpage Black was a 108. Monster course. When standing in some of those sand traps, I remember the lip being above my head and not being able to see the green.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #482 on: May 03, 2021, 06:08:44 AM »
I've gotten 3 rounds of 9 in so far this season at 3 different courses. I usually play after work, so rounds of 18 don't usually happen unless I take a PTO day or go on a Saturday.

Pretty good start to the year with, 44, 46, and a 45 with a triple bogey in each round. I don't know about where you guys are, but the wind has been a biiiiiiitch so far this season. I don't remember anything like in CT.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: May 03, 2021, 06:14:46 AM »
I've been playing once per week with the Missus. I don't really keep score, but I'd guess I'm playing bogie golf or so.

It hasn't been inordinately windy here, Chino. I will say, our home course doesn't have trees...maybe one or two. So, we usually have to contend with at least some wind.

When standing in some of those sand traps, I remember the lip being above my head and not being able to see the green.

Call me morbid, but that actually sounds fun!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: May 06, 2021, 11:30:23 AM »
Played this morning and kept score to gauge where I am. Had a horrific front nine score of 51, but I wasn't playing as bad as that score would indicate...just blewup on a couple of holes. Shot 44 on the back nine for an aggregate of 95.

The highlight of the round was stuffing my 3rd shot on 18 (5 par) two feet from the hole for a kick in birdie. I parked the cart, grabbed my putter and was walking to the green as I watched Mrs. P's fourth shot, from about 45 yards, take one bounce, hit the flag 8 inch's up, and drop straight in the hole!!!

I yelled over to her, with a giant grin on my face, "You just can't let me one up you. Can you!"

Nice way to end the round with us both scoring birdie's on 18.  :biggrin:

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #485 on: May 14, 2021, 09:24:11 AM »
Do I dare say I'm actually starting to get good at golf?

I've played 11 rounds in the last 3-4 weeks and have hit the range probably a half dozen times. I'm striking better than ever and my putting isn't atrocious anymore for some reason. It's at the point where I'm not even thinking about my mechanics when I'm swinging. My confidence is so high. I'm just throwing the clubhead at the ball and it's clicking like it's supposed to. Last night was the worst/best round I've ever played. My back was iffy initially and I opened with a +3, +1, and a +2. I finished the last six holes -1 thanks to two birdies and three pars. Ended up shooting a 40. That's a new low for me (41 was my record before that). I would loooove it if I could manage to shoot in the 30s one of these days. It feels well within reach and I'm framing that card when it happens  :lol

I need to seriously start contemplating new clubs though. Mine are old and it's definitely not helping me at all. We have Top Tracer at the range I go to. I demo'd some of the new drivers they had in stock and I was carrying 20-25 yards further than I do with my seven year old Taylormade R7. After accounting for roll, that's the difference between needing a 7i or a 9i to get onto the green.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 12:27:44 PM by Chino »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: May 14, 2021, 03:59:48 PM »
Nice work Brian  :tup   My game improved drastically last summer when I was furloughed and playing twice a week. The repetition and the chance to get right back at it and put the things you learn about your swing to work are key.

I too am a 'feel' golfer. If you tell me to tuck my elbow, roll hips....bend shoulder blah blah blah it doesn't compute. I just get a 'feel' and swing. Sometimes it feels good....other times it doesn't

I  hear you to as well with the desire for new clubs. I've had the same ones since my Junior year in high school which was ages ago. I'm just so used to what each club does for me that I can't quite talk myself into buying new. I tried to buy new a year or so ago and went with a hybrid set and couldn't strike them to save my life.....so I sold them and went back to my old set and have been fine ever since.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: May 15, 2021, 06:51:32 AM »

This is a very dangerous statement. Do not tempt the golf gods so. They give, but boy, do they take away.

Nice work on your game, Brian. I hope to get where you are by the end of June. That's usually when I feel my game clicks. While I'm not scoring well, I'm not striking the ball poorly either. I'm right in the 42-44 per nine range...not good, but still enjoyable rounds with the Missus. That's really what I play for these days.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #488 on: May 15, 2021, 02:38:37 PM »

This is a very dangerous statement. Do not tempt the golf gods so. They give, but boy, do they take away.

Truth. As one of the great says,

“Golf is a puzzle without an answer. I’ve played the game for 50 years and I still haven’t the slightest idea of how to play.” – Gary Player
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #489 on: May 17, 2021, 05:47:58 AM »
Yeah, the golf gods kicked me in the nuts on Saturday. I played with three guys that used to mentor the robotics team I was on in high school and I shot a 99  :lol