Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 58700 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #315 on: June 20, 2020, 06:56:03 AM »
My buddy and I have been getting out once or twice a week, so we've decided to make the summer interesting (play ends when his daughter is born) with a couple bets. Not huge money by any means, but it makes the play just competitive/serious enough.

$10 for best overall summer score
$10 for whoever wins overall match play
$10 for whoever gets the most pars

Had a pretty good day out after work yesterday. Shot a 44 on a 9 I had never played before. Felt good after losing 4 balls on the round before that. Sinking two 12+ footers helped  :lol
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 01:34:42 PM by Chino »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #316 on: June 20, 2020, 01:14:42 PM »
Sounds like some good fun between friends Brian without getting too out of hand with the amount of money 

Shot a 91 today. Could have easily been in the mid 80’s. Gave away a couple pretty makable putts and had a couple duffed shots. All in all hit it pretty good...mixed reviews on the Nike driver I picked up. Had a couple great drives with it and a couple not so great.

Good time with my brothers and father though.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #317 on: June 20, 2020, 01:34:28 PM »
*I fucked up. Disregard this post*

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: June 23, 2020, 08:23:33 AM »
It wasn't the US Open, but it was good to watch the RBC Heritage final round on Sunday into the early evening hours.

I still haven't been to the practice range or played a round this year (and I was going to be in a league after a decade absence).  Kudos to those who have. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: June 24, 2020, 02:15:45 PM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: June 24, 2020, 02:21:39 PM »
Well, this is mesmerizing.

I guess that takes a little bit of practice  :lol

Heading out again tomorrow morning with a couple neighbors. This is the most I've golfed in years. Typically I only get out two, three....maybe four times a year. I've been at least once a week...sometimes twice a week during this furlough  :lol  Playing cheap courses but it's still golf.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: June 24, 2020, 03:31:02 PM »
Watched up until the three minute mark, and then needed to take a break.

Damn those people with the putting green.  And....I need to take a leaf blower with me the next time on the course :D
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: June 25, 2020, 03:00:22 PM »
Shot 94 today. Hit the clubs alright actually just couldn’t putt. Three putted quite a few greens. Never got the feel for them at all. Made one decent putt all day and that was for my lone par of the day. Everything else was bogey or double bogey.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #323 on: June 28, 2020, 11:46:00 AM »
I'll have my first lesson next week and i'm pumped to get started and my plan if all goes accordingly is to take my greencard again this summer. As i've said previously I played when I was a kid but that was about 25 years ago so i'm a little bit rusty although the times i've been on the range recently it felt pretty good. However it would be nice to get some feedback on my swing. I talked to a trainer last week and we booked 6 lessons this summer which should get me started.  :)

I've been watching this clip of Woods warming up and his swing looks so buttery smooth and easy it's almost captivating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqvIvSvrYQ
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: June 29, 2020, 07:55:22 PM »
My 14 and 12 year old sons have been taking lessons as part of 'The First Tee' program the past few weeks. Along with that, our County offers a similar program that also includes (4) tournaments. The skill level covers all levels.....and it's pretty neat. Their first 'real' tournament is next Monday. All they've done is lessons at a driving range so I decided to take them out and play 9 holes this evening. It was a blast!!!!!

Obviously they were all over the place but they did have some good shots mixed in there. And, my 12 year old had a legit par putt on a par 5  :omg:  I couldn't believe it. He got real excited and just walked up to it and hit the putt way to quickly.....ended up with a (7) but still.....I was proud of him.

All I know is my rounds of golf just got a lot more expensive  :(   Just like when they started going to the same concerts as me. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #325 on: June 30, 2020, 08:31:18 AM »
Should have had a good outing after work yesterday but fucked it up. Ended up shooting a 46 with a NINE on one of the par 4s  :censored Was just one of those days where I managed to hit almost every fairway off the tee and my chipping game was deadly. I one-putted four of the seven greens that weren't par 3s.

@Gary, some of the best times I had as a kid was golfing with my dad.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: July 02, 2020, 11:44:50 AM »
91 this morning. Had plenty of chances to have shot an 84 or 85 but can’t seem to stop throwing strokes away. Still a fun morning though.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: July 15, 2020, 12:56:31 PM »
I'm really looking forward to tomorrow when I'll play my first round in more that six weeks. I've hit about 75 - 100 balls at TopGolf a couple of times over the past week. So far no pain or discomfort, but I'm unsure about my energy for 18 holes. I'll be riding instead of walking just as a precaution...in case I get too sore or tired. Wish me luck.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: July 15, 2020, 11:09:29 PM »
I'm really looking forward to tomorrow when I'll play my first round in more that six weeks. I've hit about 75 - 100 balls at TopGolf a couple of times over the past week. So far no pain or discomfort, but I'm unsure about my energy for 18 holes. I'll be riding instead of walking just as a precaution...in case I get too sore or tired. Wish me luck.

Good news! Hope you get a nice day and hit enough good shots to keep ya coming back.

Went out to play 9 this afternoon  with a buddy and only got three holes in before a monsoon hit. I was even after three. Chipped in for a birdie on hole one, par on the second and bogey on the third. Then after our tee shots on 4 it just dumped. Got a rain check.....we were soaked.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: July 16, 2020, 10:46:23 AM »
48 front, 43 back, for a round of 91 from the white tees. I had three penalties for lost balls: 2 front, 1 back. 6 pars, 6 bogies, no birds, 3 triples. Not bad, not great, but it was so nice to be back out there! I'm pleased with my course management considering my swing isn't back to full speed yet. I never attempted a hero shot and was content to be on the green one over regulation.

Mrs. P shot a 92, so it was competitive the whole round. If she wouldn't have put her approach into the drink on 18, she would have beat me by one stroke!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: July 16, 2020, 10:58:17 AM »
48 front, 43 back, for a round of 91 from the white tees. I had three penalties for lost balls: 2 front, 1 back. 6 pars, 6 bogies, no birds, 3 triples. Not bad, not great, but it was so nice to be back out there! I'm pleased with my course management considering my swing isn't back to full speed yet. I never attempted a hero shot and was content to be on the green one over regulation.

Mrs. P shot a 92, so it was competitive the whole round. If she wouldn't have put her approach into the drink on 18, she would have beat me by one stroke!

Nice work! It's always a good sign also when your score improves on the back, especially for you today being you hadn't played in a while. Talking yourself out of the 'hero' shots are key. This year especially I've learned to do that....and have been more focused on trying to hit my second or third shot (depending on par 4 or 5) to a distance where I know the club I use next is a comfortable club that I'm dialed in with. I used to never do either. It was just grip and rip.....but I'm shaving strokes that way.

I'm on the hunt for a new putter now. The set we bought my son had one of the older model blade putters in it and I started messing around with it putting inside and really liked it. So, I took it out for a round and putted pretty well with it. I found a guy on Craigslist who has an older Oydessy Blades style putter for $15 so I'm gonna grab that one and see how it feels. I felt like I could control my speed better and keep the stroke more under control with that blade style rather than the larger weighted back one I'd been using the past few years.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #331 on: July 16, 2020, 11:07:15 AM »
I want to play golf with you guys

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: July 16, 2020, 11:09:32 AM »
Gary,

The good news for me is I didn't lack energy for the round and I only had very minor soreness in my incision area. An hour later I have no soreness at all! If I'm good through tomorrow, then full on walking golf will start next week. *fingers crossed*

Ditto. It would be fun as hell to get a DTF round of golf together some day.  :biggrin:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: July 16, 2020, 11:17:17 AM »
This is my putter.

It was a Christmas present from Mrs. P. So I'm pretty much obligated to love it.  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #334 on: July 16, 2020, 11:23:26 AM »
I'm starting to get a feel for the game again. I've had 3 lessons so far and it's going great. My instructor asked me if I remembered anything from when I played as a child and honestly I don't since I quite when I was 12. Something has stuck with me though because my swing was pretty good, she corrected my back swing a bit and the grip. Seeing myself swing on the screen was great since she could just draw the lines on how I should swing, so easy to understand.

I played my second round today and it felt alot more safe than my last round. Although I did a few WTF shots from tee that just went haywire. I definitely played my best on the fairway and had some great shots on to the green, unfortunately my putting just ruined every great chance I had.  :lol

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #335 on: July 16, 2020, 12:09:57 PM »
This is my putter.

*snip*

It was a Christmas present from Mrs. P. So I'm pretty much obligated to love it.  :lol

My putter has to be approaching 16 or 17 years old now. I remember finding it on eBay and thinking it was the coolest thing. I'm still using the thing because I absolutely love how it weighs and feels, despite looking kind of weird. I don't even know what company makes it... I'm going to try and find it online.

Found it. Look's like they're pretty terribly reviewed  :lol :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #336 on: July 16, 2020, 12:15:10 PM »
I'm starting to get a feel for the game again. I've had 3 lessons so far and it's going great. My instructor asked me if I remembered anything from when I played as a child and honestly I don't since I quite when I was 12. Something has stuck with me though because my swing was pretty good, she corrected my back swing a bit and the grip. Seeing myself swing on the screen was great since she could just draw the lines on how I should swing, so easy to understand.

I played my second round today and it felt alot more safe than my last round. Although I did a few WTF shots from tee that just went haywire. I definitely played my best on the fairway and had some great shots on to the green, unfortunately my putting just ruined every great chance I had.  :lol

I've been debating going to an instructor for a few sessions. I don't know what the deal is, but I've lost so much in my distance when it comes to my irons. I haven't lost any strength, because I'm still carrying my drives 240-250, but my irons are awful. Two years ago I was playing a 7 iron 160 years out, and now I'm struggling to reach with a 5 iron from that same distance. I think it might be ball placement. I think the ball has crept up in my stance a bit and I'm not hitting down on it enough, but I can't quite figure it out.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #337 on: July 16, 2020, 01:00:30 PM »

I've been debating going to an instructor for a few sessions. I don't know what the deal is, but I've lost so much in my distance when it comes to my irons. I haven't lost any strength, because I'm still carrying my drives 240-250, but my irons are awful. Two years ago I was playing a 7 iron 160 years out, and now I'm struggling to reach with a 5 iron from that same distance. I think it might be ball placement. I think the ball has crept up in my stance a bit and I'm not hitting down on it enough, but I can't quite figure it out.
I mean for me that hasn't played for so long it's great to get feedback and also see for yourself what you're doing wrong or right, I think that's also important. Hitting the ball down and "dig" after the ball has definitely been the hardest for me especially on doing it consistently. So I think you should try it if you wanna improve something because it might be hard figuring it out on your own. You could try filming yourself and see in slowmotion, that definitely helped me seeing what I do wrong or right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: July 16, 2020, 01:40:40 PM »
Gary,

The good news for me is I didn't lack energy for the round and I only had very minor soreness in my incision area. An hour later I have no soreness at all! If I'm good through tomorrow, then full on walking golf will start next week. *fingers crossed*

Ditto. It would be fun as hell to get a DTF round of golf together some day.  :biggrin:

That would be awesome.....I agree.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: July 16, 2020, 01:54:49 PM »
This is my putter.

*snip*

My putter has to be approaching 16 or 17 years old now. I remember finding it on eBay and thinking it was the coolest thing. I'm still using the thing because I absolutely love how it weighs and feels, despite looking kind of weird. I don't even know what company makes it... I'm going to try and find it online.

LOVE that putter Gregg!!!! I can't bring myself to spend the $$$ on a putter though so I'm sifting through Craigslist and the 'Play it Again' sports stores around town. Brian....the putter I am trying to move on from is one I've been using for a solid 10 years...maybe longer. Just don't like the feel anymore.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: July 16, 2020, 02:06:36 PM »
Brian,

Are you noticing any other symptoms with your irons? Ball flight too high, too low, hook, slice? If not, your probably casting your hands and releasing the club head too early.

Try this simple test. Turn you 4 iron upside down, grip it right below the head and take a normal swing with it. Really pretend you're doing it like you are at the course. Where do you hear the "wooosh"? It should be at the impact spot and extending through and after. If you hear it during your downswing and prior to the impact zone, you've expended all your energy prior to hitting the ball and robbed your swing of club head speed.

Seeing and instructor is the best way to fix this problem, but if you go to the range with a buddy, an iPad, and some beers. Film a few swing, watch them in slow-mo, the try to correct the problem. Rinse and repeat.

For me (and this isn't advise for you) I try to remember to keep my grip soft and to really extend my arms out and toward the target and not stop. A full follow-through is key for me to keep the "woosh" at the correct point.

If you watch people on the internet they'll harp on shaft lean and and downswing lag--which are both great for pro players--but those are difficult concepts for us regular folks to incorporate into our swings.

I hope you get it resolved. Not knowing what club to grab at what distance is not a recipe for stress-free golf.  :biggrin:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: July 16, 2020, 02:08:36 PM »
This is my putter.

*snip*

LOVE that putter Gregg!!!! I can't bring myself to spend the $$$ on a putter though so I'm sifting through Craigslist and the 'Play it Again' sports stores around town. Brian....the putter I am trying to move on from is one I've been using for a solid 10 years...maybe longer. Just don't like the feel anymore.

Me either. I played with a $40.00 Ping G9 putter for years and loved it. It's Mrs. P who makes all the bank!  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #342 on: July 17, 2020, 01:48:03 AM »
This is my putter.

*snip*

Me either. I played with a $40.00 Ping G9 putter for years and loved it. It's Mrs. P who makes all the bank!  :lol
I bought an old Wilson Killer Whale Driver for $8.  :lol I needed a driver and thought well, it's not like I would cry myself to sleep if it sucks. It actually works pretty great, atleast for me. I'm still a bit nervous using using a driver outside of the range but I just need play with it a bit more.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: July 17, 2020, 06:08:45 AM »
I bought an old Wilson Killer Whale Driver for $8.  :lol I needed a driver and thought well, it's not like I would cry myself to sleep if it sucks. It actually works pretty great, atleast for me. I'm still a bit nervous using using a driver outside of the range but I just need play with it a bit more.

No offence, but you payed too much money.  :lol  Seriously though, depending on how old your Killer Whale is it might be okay.

We amateurs have a tendency to think, "I'm not good enough to play with [insert pricey technological gear] so I'll just use my granddad's ol' brassy." The truth is, we benefit from the latest and greatest more that the pros do. You think I'm wrong. Go to a golf simulator at your neighborhood shop. Take your driver and hit it alongside a Taylormade M5 or Calaway Epic Flash. I can guarantee you're trying to overcome the deficiencies of your driver compared to these. And those two models aren't even the latest top of the line.

Still, golf shouldn't be about how much you pay for your equipment. It's already too elitist as it is. All I can say is you'll benefit by buying the best equipment you can comfortably afford. Just like any other sport, I suppose.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #344 on: July 17, 2020, 06:25:20 AM »

No offence, but you payed too much money.  :lol  Seriously though, depending on how old your Killer Whale is it might be okay.

We amateurs have a tendency to think, "I'm not good enough to play with [insert pricey technological gear] so I'll just use my granddad's ol' brassy." The truth is, we benefit from the latest and greatest more that the pros do. You think I'm wrong. Go to a golf simulator at your neighborhood shop. Take your driver and hit it alongside a Taylormade M5 or Calaway Epic Flash. I can guarantee you're trying to overcome the deficiencies of your driver compared to these. And those two models aren't even the latest top of the line.

Still, golf shouldn't be about how much you pay for your equipment. It's already too elitist as it is. All I can say is you'll benefit by buying the best equipment you can comfortably afford. Just like any other sport, I suppose.
I hear you brother, the thing is I didn't wanna buy an expensive driver before I knew if I really wanted to invest in golf again. So to have something to practice on I decided to buy that instead of something good and rather expensive. I know that good equipment is just better and easier but it's also more fun to switch to better gear after awhile. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvBAsdnFRxk
 :metal :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: July 17, 2020, 06:44:39 AM »
 :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #346 on: July 17, 2020, 07:41:36 AM »
Brian,

Are you noticing any other symptoms with your irons? Ball flight too high, too low, hook, slice? If not, your probably casting your hands and releasing the club head too early.

Try this simple test. Turn you 4 iron upside down, grip it right below the head and take a normal swing with it. Really pretend you're doing it like you are at the course. Where do you hear the "wooosh"? It should be at the impact spot and extending through and after. If you hear it during your downswing and prior to the impact zone, you've expended all your energy prior to hitting the ball and robbed your swing of club head speed.

Seeing and instructor is the best way to fix this problem, but if you go to the range with a buddy, an iPad, and some beers. Film a few swing, watch them in slow-mo, the try to correct the problem. Rinse and repeat.

For me (and this isn't advise for you) I try to remember to keep my grip soft and to really extend my arms out and toward the target and not stop. A full follow-through is key for me to keep the "woosh" at the correct point.

If you watch people on the internet they'll harp on shaft lean and and downswing lag--which are both great for pro players--but those are difficult concepts for us regular folks to incorporate into our swings.

I hope you get it resolved. Not knowing what club to grab at what distance is not a recipe for stress-free golf.  :biggrin:

Yeah, my trajectory has changed. I'm getting far more height with my irons than I ever have, which lends to my theory that the ball might be a bit too far up in my stance. I'm pretty sure my grip is good. I'm making good contact on the ball and I hit it straight, I'm not just getting the distance.

I'm playing today after work. I visited my parents for dinner last night and took my dad's bag while I was there. I'm going to give his irons a try. I'm currently playing with a set of Callaway Big Berthas, and the shafts have some flex to them. I've been exercising a lot lately, and I'm wondering if I've gotten a little stronger and it's just enough to start opening the club face on downswing just because of the shaft bending. My dad's irons are much stiffer, so I'm going to see if that helps.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: July 17, 2020, 08:24:51 AM »
Brian,

Yeah, my trajectory has changed. I'm getting far more height with my irons than I ever have, which lends to my theory that the ball might be a bit too far up in my stance. I'm pretty sure my grip is good. I'm making good contact on the ball and I hit it straight, I'm not just getting the distance.

I'm playing today after work. I visited my parents for dinner last night and took my dad's bag while I was there. I'm going to give his irons a try. I'm currently playing with a set of Callaway Big Berthas, and the shafts have some flex to them. I've been exercising a lot lately, and I'm wondering if I've gotten a little stronger and it's just enough to start opening the club face on downswing just because of the shaft bending. My dad's irons are much stiffer, so I'm going to see if that helps.

Keep us posted.

In my experience shaft flex doesn't make much difference other than feel. We're all different though. Hope it helps!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: July 17, 2020, 02:52:52 PM »
84 today. Three holes where in shot double bogey due to hitting OB. Other than that.....felt good.

Waiting in my car now for a Craigslist meetup to buy this blade style Oydessy putter.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: July 17, 2020, 03:37:06 PM »
84 is a great game!