Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 57248 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #210 on: December 26, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »
All I need now is to get Brooks Koepke to sign my hat and win his third US Open in a row!  :lol

Excuse me Mr. Koepke.....I need your opinion....does this Golf towel smell like chloroform?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2019, 11:54:05 AM »
Woods with a 2 stroke lead with two to play Sunday at Augusta. Who would have thought?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #212 on: April 14, 2019, 12:02:57 PM »
Enjoying sitting on my ass on a Sunday watching Tiger at the Masters.  Looks like #15.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #213 on: April 14, 2019, 12:08:12 PM »
love how the broadcasters are talking about the 18 Major Wins record if Tiger wins today, he'll be 3 shy of.

My thought is, very unlikely he'll break or even tie it, but winning today would give him 81 Career tournament wins, only 2 shy of Sam Snead's record of 83.

THAT record I think there's a good chance he'll break.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: April 14, 2019, 12:13:06 PM »
I always thought he was never going to get to 18. Despite his talents there was too much young talent, and he wouldn't be able to maintain his peak level for as long as it would be needed with the strain he was putting on his body. Of course I would have bet against 15 for the past 5 years too.

edit... I am not a Woods fan per se, other than I admire his ability and dedication, but I am likewise not a hater or detractor. But I love seeing the unbridled elation his is showing now. And the patrons love it!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 12:30:47 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #215 on: April 14, 2019, 12:40:43 PM »
I turned it off once he took a 2-stroke lead. I have never been and never will be a fan of Woods.

Playoff hockey is better anyway.  :tup :tup

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #216 on: April 14, 2019, 12:40:47 PM »
But I love seeing the unbridled elation his is showing now.

This is key, to me. He is loose and is enjoying himself now. That whole making fun of Kevin Na thing in the middle of a round a few weeks ago was huge, if you ask me. I think this is a big key to his success now. I have never seen him react like that to a win. He has been excited, sure, but this was a different level for him.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: April 14, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »
love how the broadcasters are talking about the 18 Major Wins record if Tiger wins today, he'll be 3 shy of.

My thought is, very unlikely he'll break or even tie it, but winning today would give him 81 Career tournament wins, only 2 shy of Sam Snead's record of 83.

THAT record I think there's a good chance he'll break.

I think he’ll break that this season.

Love seeing him win again and agree with you all that his ‘new’ approach and demeanor is fun to watch.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #218 on: April 14, 2019, 06:31:51 PM »
I haven't been much of a fan of Woods in a long time, but it is a helluva nice 'feel good' story to see him comeback like that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: April 14, 2019, 06:33:34 PM »
I haven't been much of a fan of Woods in a long time, but it is a helluva nice 'feel good' story to see him comeback like that.

Since when did Tiger Woods become a sympathetic figure?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #220 on: April 14, 2019, 06:35:31 PM »
Today was a special day. The golf tournament was terrific. I'm beyond happy that Tiger won.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #221 on: April 14, 2019, 08:31:37 PM »

I don't get it either.  He was also an a-hole back in the day, but we are supposed to like him now because he cheated on his wife with as many Waffle House waitresses as he could find and then hurt himself by lifting too much?  It makes no sense to me.  Yes, it is a great comeback story, but his fall from grace was his own doing and he still seems like a major dick to me.  I get that others feel differently.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: April 14, 2019, 08:44:44 PM »
I struggle with that Kev. I was going to say it can be a "feel good" story without him being a "sympathetic" figure. I don't like when people play the "this celebrity didn't have a normal childhood" card, but it applies here. Everything most boys learn from their fathers he missed out on. All Earl taught him was to play golf, think he was better than anyone else, and to change the world.

I don't want to sway anyone's opinion though, any more than I want someone to convince me to feel differently about someone.

I think some people are latching on to the narrative that a man who was on a bad path to destruction of his own doing has righted the ship.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #223 on: April 14, 2019, 08:55:42 PM »
True.  And in all fairness, I realize that a lot of people just love seeing a great athlete kick ass in his/her sport without caring about the off the field/court/course stuff, and I get it, I really do.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #224 on: April 14, 2019, 09:15:15 PM »

I don't get it either.  He was also an a-hole back in the day, but we are supposed to like him now because he cheated on his wife with as many Waffle House waitresses as he could find and then hurt himself by lifting too much?  It makes no sense to me.  Yes, it is a great comeback story, but his fall from grace was his own doing and he still seems like a major dick to me.  I get that others feel differently.

Lifting? And the 'roids.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: April 15, 2019, 08:19:50 AM »
True.  And in all fairness, I realize that a lot of people just love seeing a great athlete kick ass in his/her sport without caring about the off the field/court/course stuff, and I get it, I really do.

This is me. I've never really cared about who he was outside of golf....there were always stories of him being a real douche bag.....horrible tipper despite having a Billion dollars.....just arrogant...etc etc. But much like the same reason I like DT....i enjoy watching people who are the best at the particular skill they've chosen to dedicate themselves to. He was (still is) enthralling to watch play golf and it was cool to see him back in somewhat of the form he kept for 15 years.

I think some people are latching on to the narrative that a man who was on a bad path to destruction of his own doing has righted the ship.

This is what I like as well. From what I've gleaned and read about him....here the last few years he's made an effort to be a better person in general. Maybe he's aging and become more self reflective.....who knows. But despite what he was in the past the narrative of who he is now and what he's went through....even if some of it was his own making.....to get to where he's at now is a cool story.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #226 on: April 15, 2019, 10:56:16 AM »
I don't think it's been pointed out enough.

Just a few years ago, the guy not only was DONE with golf, he could BARELY WALK.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #227 on: April 15, 2019, 11:06:31 AM »
Hearing the roars from the crowd should be proof enough that the PGA needs Tiger to elevate it's fandom. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: April 15, 2019, 11:56:05 AM »
I've thought about it a bit today. At first I was a bit put off by TAC and Kev's posts but if you're a sports fan but only passively watch (pay attention to) golf it's perfectly understandable. In spite Wood's dominance of golf from 1997 through 2008 his public persona wasn't very attractive, especially after 2001. In post game interviews, interaction with fans on the course, his attitude toward fellow competitors, reports on his personal life, everything really, he always came off as aloof...even arrogant. It was really only his shot making and consistent winning that was undeniably worthy of praise. Then the whole mess with his wife and the fall from the top, really exposed him as an unsympathetic character. I get it.

But...if you follow golf closely, The last two years have been completely different. He's been gracious with fans (especially the kids), has enjoyed open and friendly relationships with other players, it's been obvious that he enjoys being the "elder statesman" on tour, and seems to be playing the sport with a grateful heart. Most important for me, he seems to be playing for himself. In his youth it seemed he was playing for Earl "gravy train" Woods. After 2001 it seemed he played for history. Neither of which are bad motivations, but it's way more fun (as a fan of the game) to watch him play with his patented intensity that's been softened with his gratefulness to just be back. At all.

Just a few years ago, the guy not only was DONE with golf, he could BARELY WALK.

That was the low, and 18 months later he's at the top again. Now, if you watch much golf, he's also become relateable. It's nothing short of astounding.

The Tiger of old never would have been as openly joyful as he was after his final putt yesterday. He never would have taken the time to hug Tony Finau and accepted all the congratulations from other players before he even got to the official scorers table. Just look at the crowd who greeted him there. Koepka, Bubba, Fowler, Reed, Thomas, Molinari, Immelman and others. That should tell you all how much things have changed with him on tour.

I thought it was a wonderful day for the Masters, for professional golf, and for the fans.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: April 15, 2019, 12:00:34 PM »
I've thought about it a bit today. At first I was a bit put off by TAC and Kev's posts but if you're a sports fan but only passively watch (pay attention to) golf it's perfectly understandable. In spite Wood's dominance of golf from 1997 through 2008 his public persona wasn't very attractive, especially after 2001. In post game interviews, interaction with fans on the course, his attitude toward fellow competitors, reports on his personal life, everything really, he always came off as aloof...even arrogant. It was really only his shot making and consistent winning that was undeniably worthy of praise. Then the whole mess with his wife and the fall from the top, really exposed him as an unsympathetic character. I get it.

But...if you follow golf closely, The last two years have been completely different. He's been gracious with fans (especially the kids), has enjoyed open and friendly relationships with other players, it's been obvious that he enjoys being the "elder statesman" on tour, and seems to be playing the sport with a grateful heart. Most important for me, he seems to be playing for himself. In his youth it seemed he was playing for Earl "gravy train" Woods. After 2001 it seemed he played for history. Neither of which are bad motivations, but it's way more fun (as a fan of the game) to watch him play with his patented intensity that's been softened with his gratefulness to just be back. At all.

That was the low, and 18 months later he's at the top again. Now, if you watch much golf, he's also become relateable. It's nothing short of astounding.

The Tiger of old never would have been as openly joyful as he was after his final putt yesterday. He never would have taken the time to hug Tony Finau and accepted all the congratulations from other players before he even got to the official scorers table. Just look at the crowd who greeted him there. Koepka, Bubba, Fowler, Reed, Thomas, Molinari, Immelman and others. That should tell you all how much things have changed with him on tour.

I thought it was a wonderful day for the Masters, for professional golf, and for the fans.

Well stated Gregg   :tup

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #230 on: April 15, 2019, 12:03:22 PM »
You guys see the dude that bet $85K on Tiger and won at 14:1 odds?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #231 on: April 15, 2019, 12:06:38 PM »
He doesn't live in St.Louis, so, no, I didn't see him.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: April 15, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
You guys see the dude that bet $85K on Tiger and won at 14:1 odds?

Yeah...that's crazy. But then again.....if you're in financial shape to place an $85k bet you're probably not hurting too much.   :lol

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #233 on: April 15, 2019, 01:10:52 PM »

You said in much more detail what I was getting at. Really well said. Early Tiger was practically Belichick-ian in his attitude and demeanor. He made you dislike him at a personal level. He really appears to have undergone some sort of personal awakening and is making amends for his past behavior.

I really never was a fan of him myself, mostly because of his attitude and the fact that he was almost too dominant. I also didn't like his LaVar Ball type father. I think a lot of his damage occurred there.

I am liking this current Tiger because he appears more humble and human now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: April 15, 2019, 03:37:12 PM »
I usually don't watch golf broadcasts past the final hole but did on this occasion. Seeing so many players (many in their green jackets) greet Tiger coming off the 18th was a neat sight. Is that common tradition? Did anything like that happen in any of his other wins? He was never really "one of the guys" as others have said here.

Remember also being groomed at such an early age to be a star, he was trained in the art of the interview. His interactions with the media (and others) came off as rehearsed and unnatural, because that is exactly what it was.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #235 on: May 20, 2019, 11:09:00 AM »
bump.

Anyone catch the PGA this past weekend?

Brooks Koepka, has won now 4 out of the last 8 Majors.

1st player ever to have won simultaneously back-2-back Majors with 2 different Majors.

How many Majors will he win? even before he's 40 (he just turned 29 a few weeks ago).

He may have now usurped Rory and Spieth (and Dustin Johnson) as the best player of this Generation.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: May 20, 2019, 11:24:52 AM »
Was going to post an article with some of those stats, and more, that illustrate how quietly Brooks has been kicking the tour's ass the last couple years, and how he might do so for the next few years.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #237 on: May 20, 2019, 11:28:00 AM »
I think he's justified in feeling snubbed, and good for him for calling out those people that openly doubted him. This dude's confidence is higher than ANYONE else right now. I'm a huge DJ fan, but it's impossible to not see a difference here. I would like to see him win some more tournaments in general, but when you only seem to win majors, and at the rate he's winning them, it's hard to criticize him too much. He exhibited a very impressive game AGAIN, and when the course was giving him it's full challenge, and he staggered for the first time all tournament, he didn't let it get him. And damn if that didn't end up being WAY more entertaining than I thought it would be lol.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: May 20, 2019, 04:36:20 PM »
Yeah, Brooks is very impressive. Without a doubt the best big moment player on tour. His mental toughness is inspiring to watch...even the horrible New York fans don't bother him. Somehow he finds a way to let it inspire him to even better play.

I give him :clap: :clap: in a circle.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #239 on: June 11, 2019, 01:18:47 PM »
Mrs.P got us Friday, Saturday and Sunday gallery tickets for the 2019 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach for Christmas! Also, it's the 100th anniversary of the golf course, so it should be an extra special time.

One more thing off my bucket list!  :)

Are you in Monterey yet? One of my favorite weeks of the year! I'll be watching about 35+ hours of golf this week, at least that's what I've averaged the first two of the year  :hat.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2019, 02:14:41 PM »
Mrs.P got us Friday, Saturday and Sunday gallery tickets for the 2019 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach for Christmas! Also, it's the 100th anniversary of the golf course, so it should be an extra special time.

One more thing off my bucket list!  :)

Are you in Monterey yet? One of my favorite weeks of the year! I'll be watching about 35+ hours of golf this week, at least that's what I've averaged the first two of the year  :hat.

We fly out tomorrow. I'll be there tomorrow afternoon. Our tickets are for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: June 16, 2019, 09:07:33 PM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: June 16, 2019, 09:37:08 PM »
Great picture!

Balls up to Woodland for holding of Koepka. He's been playing like a man possessed lately and the last person you'd want riding your ass on Sunday at a major championship.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #243 on: June 16, 2019, 10:18:53 PM »
kind of happy for Woodland as he was close a few other times, although Koepka has nearly won all 3 Majors this year. We'll see how he does at the Open Championship next month.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: June 17, 2019, 06:35:36 AM »
Yes, it was a very satisfying tournament and a very deserving champion. For a while, early in the round, it looked like Koepka was going to catch him quick, but what a performance by Woodland! Great nerve.

The action, and the players are a ton, A TON, easier to follow on television and the internet. But being there has its charm and the course becomes the most compelling character! We walked the entire course twice on Thursday and put about twenty miles on our sneakers. I've always thought I'd like to play Pebble Beach but after walking that monster, I'm not so sure. Not only is the track tough, but the scenery and condition of the course is distracting.  :)

Because we were staying about a block from the front gate, we were at the course very early both days. Thus, we were able to watch most of our favorites tee off at least once in relative calm. But by 10 o'clock it was a total cluster fuck. You didn't want to be anywhere near where Tiger was playing. I knew his celebrity transcended the sport but I've never seen it in action before. It was actually a bit scary and disappointing...in a I can't believe I'm the same species kind of way. The FOX coverage just added to the frenzy with the way they would add extra boom cameras and, well...everything, when he came by.

We had a great time and I would definitely go again. We're actually considering the Open Championship at St. Andrews. If I had any advise for potential tournament goers...

1) Stay as close to the venue as you can.
2) Go as early as you can.
3) Spend the extra money for passes to one of the hospitality venues. Go there around 11:00 am. Stay there until around 2:00 pm (you can watch the action from there). Head back out on the course for the remainder of the day.
4) If you want a seat in a prime location bleacher (like #7, #17, and #18 at Pebble) either go early or go late...and never, ever try to get into a bleacher if it is an hour prior to Tiger coming by. [edit] In fact, just after he leaves a hole is a great time to get into the bleacher. [/edit]

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 06:45:41 AM by Podaar »