Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 58542 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #630 on: April 24, 2023, 06:17:39 AM »
That's hilarious. Play it as it lies! 

I hit a new low over the weekend. I didn't crack 40, but I did finally get under 85 with an 84! I went 41-43. It was on a Par 72 to boot, so I feel a bit better about it. Nothing worse than a bogey either! That might be a first.

Do any of you guys have a spreadsheet or something that you use to track your scores and various stats throughout the year?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #631 on: April 24, 2023, 08:33:49 AM »
That's hilarious. Play it as it lies! 

I hit a new low over the weekend. I didn't crack 40, but I did finally get under 85 with an 84! I went 41-43. It was on a Par 72 to boot, so I feel a bit better about it. Nothing worse than a bogey either! That might be a first.

Do any of you guys have a spreadsheet or something that you use to track your scores and various stats throughout the year?

I'm not good at tracking my scores...probably because I don't golf enough to really give it a bunch of effort. But, I have two buddies who carry handicaps in the single digits and they use an app and track all of their scores. One of them even tracks the number of putts in each round.

Nice work on the 84  :tup  I'm hoping I can get out for the first time this year this week sometime. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: April 24, 2023, 09:37:08 AM »
I used to Brian, back when I played a minimum of 36 holes per week. If I don't play frequently, I don't find much benefit in it. But, if you are trying to improve your scoring, there's nothing like having good statistics. Number of putts, scrambling stats (including sand saves), and fairways hit were always the most useful stats for me. It made my practice sessions more focused.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #633 on: April 24, 2023, 10:12:05 AM »
I've been trying to play at least 27 a week with a range session thrown in. Usually 18 on Saturday morning and a niner after work at least one day a week. My dad and I managed to get 18 in with a cart after work last Wednesday, so that was pretty cool. We might do that more frequently now that we know we can. Usually we just stick to 9.

I've been tracking scores, number of putts, greens and fairways in regulation, number of pars/bogeys/doubles,etc.

I want to do it for two main reasons. The first being just to see how I'm trending. I'd like to see how my averages in all of the above change over time. The second is to see if I can find any notable trends on my most frequented courses. Is there a hole that I statistically double bogey more than any other? I don't know. If there is, maybe I'll change my approach on that one.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: May 21, 2023, 04:34:17 PM »
Wow! A PGA Championship for the history books.

Michael Block’s story is just another reason why the PGA Tour will outlast LIV Golf
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #635 on: May 21, 2023, 04:37:03 PM »
Fly in hole in one. The emotion in the interview hearing what his son said as well.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: May 21, 2023, 04:51:41 PM »
I’ll admit it, when Amanda showed him the video of his home club house, I shed a tear. I know my club professional very well and imagined what it would feel like if he was there…

I’m going to Valhalla next year!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: May 21, 2023, 05:09:24 PM »
Sweet!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #638 on: May 22, 2023, 12:38:28 AM »
I know it's a little thing and maybe obvious but I love sportmanship like when Rory showing happines for Michael when he got the hole in one. I love that Michael even asked Rory, "did it really go in?"
I didn't follow the round but apparently Rory struggled with his round so I just think it's nice when big players show appreciation for another players success despite having a bad day.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #639 on: May 22, 2023, 06:43:56 AM »
I know it's a little thing and maybe obvious but I love sportmanship like when Rory showing happines for Michael when he got the hole in one. I love that Michael even asked Rory, "did it really go in?"

"It's the only game I know where you can call a penalty on yourself, if you're honest". 

Always loved that quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO9U-25RPhY

The respect on and for the course is one of the things I've always loved about this game. I could be having an absolute shit round and will still get an injection of joy watching my dad crush one down the center of the fairway or seeing the rando I'm paired with stick one 6" away from out of the sand. Like most of the hobbies I do, even when in competition, I love seeing other people do really well at the thing you work to do well at. It keeps me motivated, and it can just be downright entertaining.

Personal golf time. My irons have been really dialed in lately and I had 7 birdie putts within 6' on Saturday... missed them all for pars  :lol

I'm in the market for new shoes. Mine are into their 4th season and my feet are starting to get wet. Do any of you have experience with the spikeless shoes? I've never had a pair, but I'm seeing them everywhere I go looking. I usually play before 7AM in the morning when there is still plenty of dew out on the course. I worry about my feet slipping.

I'm not considering this pair specifically, but this spike type:

It doesn't look like they'd do that great of a job compared to this type I wear now:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: May 22, 2023, 10:34:27 AM »
I've not had good luck with golf shoes that don't have replaceable spikes. The spikes wear out before the shoe even wears in properly. I maybe wear them out prematurely by walking on cart paths, driving carts, and generally using them on hard surfaces. Considering their price, I'd rather be able to replace the spikes.

My current favorite is Sketchers Go Golf line of shoes. I have two pair, one for colder/wetter weather (water proof), and one for hot weather (nylon mesh). They are by far the most comfortable golf shoes I've ever worn and the tend to last.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: May 25, 2023, 11:15:56 AM »
Finally going out to play this Saturday with my two brothers and a neighbor. I haven't been on a course since last September so my goal will be shoot under 100 given it's been a hot minute since I've swung a club, but of we are playing a course that is pretty unforgiving so that may be tough. My schedule and things to do doesn't look like it's going to allow me to get to the range, so...I'm going to try and get there early and get a couple strokes in. It's like riding a bike, right?  Should be just fine  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: May 25, 2023, 04:48:37 PM »
It's like riding a bike, right?

No, it's really not!  :lol

I've played about a dozen rounds this spring and not until this morning did I finally get back to having reasonable expectations from the teeing ground. I swear, I have to go through the same process every year to build fundamentals. Why do we do this to ourselves?!

Mrs. P holed out on a par 3 today from just off the green and she did it Michael Block style. Flew it straight into the cup from 20 yards. It just dunked right in. Her arms shot straight into the air and she jumped up and down a couple of times--whooping for all she was worth. That's why we do this to ourselves!  :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: May 25, 2023, 05:25:57 PM »
^
👍
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: May 27, 2023, 11:24:47 AM »
Shot a 95. Went 48/47. I’ll take it considering it’s my first time out in ages, and my goal was to go sun 100. Chipping and putting were on point all day. REALLY happy with those two aspects today. My drives plagued me again.  I may have played out of one or two fairways the whole day. Four holes I went OB off the tee……but…..as I mentioned I was pretty on with my approaches. I had multiple up and down holes that either saved par or ‘saved’ a bogey for me.

I found an old school Titelist blade putter in my garage over the winter. I’ve been using it in my office on my practice putting and really grew to like it. I regripped it…..and man, I was putting real confident with it. I like that it wasn’t as heavy a blade as I’d been using. The ‘touch’ feels like it’s there.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: June 01, 2023, 11:27:45 AM »
Walked 18 twice this week. 17 miles total...not too shabby for an older gent.

Tuesday's round felt great, and I was pleased with the progress I've made with my swing fundamentals, but I wasn't keeping score.

I decided to keep score today to judge where I'm at in actuality: 85 total (45 on the front, 40 on the back), 1 birdie, 6 pars, 7 bogies, 2 doubles, 1 triple (1 penalty). 6 of 14 fairways hit, 5/18 greens in regulation, 33 putts (or 1.83 putts per hole).

So, not bad, but it's obvious I need to hit more fairways and greens in regulation. If not, I'm going to need to get closer to the hole with shots around the green so I can get more 1 putts. It's funny, the stats would leave one to think I had a pretty good putting day, but at the time it felt like I was missing a lot of makeable putts. Also, I was consistently missing greens long with my approach shots. I think the fundamental swing work I've done off the course has increased my clubhead speed so I'm about 10-15 yards longer with my short irons and wedges. I can get this dialed in with more rounds and/or practice. That being said, I'm going out of town next week so I'll not be touching my clubs for 10 days.  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: June 01, 2023, 11:32:45 AM »
That's a nice round Gregg  :tup    If I can get out more this year I may take the approach of really tracking fairways hit and number of putts. I'd do greens in regulation but I can probably answer that right now  :lol 

We're heading to Cancun next week and there is a course literally right next to our resort. Issue is....it's $189 a round and that's without renting clubs and buying balls.  :(  But, I told my wife that by next Thursday I may be willing and wanting to spend $250 to escape her family for five hours.....I'm going down there with her entire family (18) of them  :omg: 

So....I may be teeing off in Cancun this time next week

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: June 01, 2023, 12:34:54 PM »
Do it, Gary! Cancun golf courses are fantastic, and the wild life is amazing on them. Just don't leave open snacks in your golf cart, the birds will come and steal them while your on the greens!  :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: June 01, 2023, 12:59:09 PM »
Do it, Gary! Cancun golf courses are fantastic, and the wild life is amazing on them. Just don't leave open snacks in your golf cart, the birds will come and steal them while your on the greens!  :)

I really think I will. Gonna play it by ear of course but I just may have to  ;D

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #649 on: June 06, 2023, 10:50:16 AM »
LIV to merge with the PGA
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/06/pga-tour-agrees-to-merge-with-saudi-backed-rival-liv-golf.html

mixed feelings per now the Saudi's have a say/share in the PGA Tour.

That being said, I don't feel as conflicted to root for or against most of the players that left the PGA for LIV the last couple of years.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 11:04:48 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: June 06, 2023, 11:16:48 AM »
All those who went to LIV and took those big contracts win.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: June 06, 2023, 11:38:27 AM »
Had a pretty blah round today. 92 (48 front, 44 back). 35 putts (1.9 per hole), 1 birdie, 3 pars, 10 bogies, 2 doubles, 1 triple, and 1 quad. 3 penalties for the round. 6/14 fairways hit, 5 greens in regulation.

It's obvious that I've got a lot of work to do in accuracy off the tee, for approach shots, and chipping/pitching. All three pars were with fairways/greens in regulation, as was the solo birdie. 7 of the 10 bogies were two-putt, 2 were one-putt, with 1 three-putt. I'm simply not getting myself in a good position to score, and when I do, I'm burning the edges of the cup and rolling 4 feet past...they did roll the greens this morning so they were fast (maybe 12 on the stimp meter).

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #652 on: June 10, 2023, 03:07:26 AM »
After 23 years of playing this wonderful nightmare of a game, I finally broke 40, with 82 being a new personal low for 18 as well.

I am a bit bummed because we had 3 consecutive holes of torrential downpour on the front and I went double, double, double on those. I just couldn't keep my hands/grips dry. I might have shot in the 70s if it wasn't for that burst.

I needed a par on 18 (a par 3) to shoot a 39 on the back and stuck it 7" from the pin for a tap in bird. Felt great!

I think I might frame this one.

This really is the best game out there.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: June 10, 2023, 05:27:22 AM »
Nice work Brian!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: June 10, 2023, 09:25:20 PM »
That’s totally wicked, Brian! Congrats.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: June 10, 2023, 10:15:12 PM »
The lowest I’ve ever shot was an 80. And the kicker……I missed a 3 to 4 foot birdie putt on the first hole.  :facepalm:   Could have been in the 70’s!!! Had no idea I’d be on fire that day though……oh well…..maybe again one day.

That was in the midst of the Covid craze, I was furloughed and golfing 2-3 times a week. Most consistent I’ve ever been.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: June 13, 2023, 05:29:36 AM »
Had good progress from the tee, yesterday. I hit 8/14 fairways and a couple of misses were just off the edge of the fairway in the first cut. Everything else about my game went wild though. It's like that some days.

This caught my attention this morning from our local paper:

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #657 on: June 13, 2023, 07:24:30 AM »
I hate everything about everything having to do with that shit show.

On a shitty note, the shaft on my SIM-2 driver broke :/ I played a round of 9 last night after work with my dad. He's got a BMW 535 which has a laughably small trunk given the size of the sedan. Fitting two golf bags and two sets of shoes requires a fair amount of finagling. Well, my bag must have been oriented kind of funky with some stress on the shaft, because when I got home and pulled the bag out of the trunk, I realized the head was still sitting in there somewhere. It snapped clean about 8"-10" up from where the shaft meets the head.

It cost $100 to replace. The place that did it just regripped the club for me a few weeks ago. The guy was cool and matched the new shaft's grip to the one I had for no extra charge.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #658 on: June 20, 2023, 09:48:41 PM »
cool thread..... its a humbling game... If I could just get it all together at the same time.  :mehlin
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: June 21, 2023, 10:56:53 AM »
Even though I didn't golf a lot last summer and have only been out once so far this year.....I was and am frustrated with my drives because for the most part they've historically been reliable. Meaning, I was at least in play and not taking penalty strokes for OB. But, the last two rounds last year and the one I've played this year my drives were just atrocious. Literally had no idea where they were going.

I bought a used Taylor Made 9.5 degree....stiff shaft...driver a year or so ago and the first few rounds I used it I had it 'figured out' so to speak. But, after this recent struggle off the tee I was investigating reasons and so I measured the shaft. It's 46". I'm 5'-6"......so....I looked up a chart and a guy my height should be swinging a 43" shaft driver. So, I ordered a new grip and have cut the shaft down by 3". Going to try and sneak out tomorrow morning to play and see if that helps at all.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #660 on: June 21, 2023, 11:03:23 AM »
What kind of TM driver did you buy?

I've got a 9.5 Sim and was having trouble hitting the fairway and keeping the ball low. I adjusted the head to an even lower setting (no idea what degree I am at now) and all of a sudden my ball flight is lower and straighter, and I've added 30-40ish yards to every drive. I couldn't believe it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: June 21, 2023, 11:14:38 AM »
What kind of TM driver did you buy?

I've got a 9.5 Sim and was having trouble hitting the fairway and keeping the ball low. I adjusted the head to an even lower setting (no idea what degree I am at now) and all of a sudden my ball flight is lower and straighter, and I've added 30-40ish yards to every drive. I couldn't believe it.

Looks like it's a 'Burner Superfast 2.0'   I think this is one of the cheaper TM's as I can't adjust the degrees. I bought this used for $90

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #662 on: June 21, 2023, 11:33:40 AM »
Gotcha.

Well, if the shaft is too long, that could definitely be working against you. If you're fading/slicing, it might the length causing you to open your face a bit on your way through. 

You work out and play hockey still, yeah? I wonder if you're overpowering the club and need a shaft that's a bit stiffer than stiff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: June 21, 2023, 12:05:04 PM »
You work out and play hockey still, yeah? I wonder if you're overpowering the club and need a shaft that's a bit stiffer than stiff.

I don't know, I don't really swing all that hard. Maybe it's my club speed isn't fast enough for the stiff shaft? The stiff shafts are really beneficial for guys who swing hard/fast. I only draw my backswing back maybe 3/4 and don't typically 'come out of my shoes' when I swing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: June 22, 2023, 10:52:48 AM »
So I got out this morning and played a round with my brother in law. Shot an 89. Went 45/44. Good news is I think cutting down that shaft on my driver really helped. I had a lot more control and confidence in my drives. I only hit one drive OB and honestly it wasn't even a 'bad' shot that got away from me.....just a tough fairway to hit and I just missed my spot.

My problem today was putting. Had several three putts....it was maddening. Just couldn't figure out the speed of the greens. We got off pretty early (7:00) and we were battling the grounds keepers who were watering the greens down...so, one green may have just been hit with water and was slow then the next green may have not had it's turn yet and was quick. Just couldn't really dial it in. I truthfully left about 5 strokes out there that were pretty makable putts that I just flat out missed.

All in all I am pretty happy with the round though because I regained some swagger with that driver and am not scared to hit it anymore and I had quite a few good second shots and chips. It'd be neat to put it all together one day and not have one aspect of my game just suck...but, that's golf right  :lol