Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 58807 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #595 on: August 11, 2022, 12:33:26 PM »
That's been my least favorite short for a long time. I recently picked up 3 and 5 hybrids from Callaway, and they make those shots sooo much easier. I don't know why I was so hesitant to get those clubs in favor of sticking with my long irons, but it almost feels like cheating now.

I have two hybrids that I use for this shot....one for the 170-180ish.....one for the 180-190ish. I hit them well enough but when it's hole after hole after hole there is always the inevitable OB or just 'bad' shot. If I played more I'd probably look into a couple newer technology hybrids for this shot but as of now I'll just wing it and deal with whatever comes of it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #596 on: August 12, 2022, 07:19:14 AM »
In my earlier post, I wasn't particularly clear.

I'd agree that the forward (ladies/red) tees are an easy four stroke advantage if I used my full bag, but that's not what I was doing. I was deliberately hitting clubs off the tee that would put me in range of normal approach distances. Hell, on one short par 4, I teed off with a 7 iron so as not to go past the 150 yard marker. I never hit any club longer than a 5 iron, even on 5 pars. By comparison, I hit my driver 270-285 and my 5 iron, 185. I'll occasionally really stripe the 5 iron, off the tee, 200 yards if I get a good roll out. There is no way that there is 70 to 85 yards difference between the white and red tees on our home coarse, and the forward tees have the same forced carries as all the other tees. Granted, I probably hit three more fairways than I normally do, but I can have days where I do that from the blue tees (Like Gary, our tees are typically Red (ladies),< Gold (senior), < White (mens), < Blue (back), < Black (Championship/Tips))

What really had me scratching my head, (after the round) was why suddenly I was hitting approach shots within 10 feet, consistently. For example, on hole number four, I pulled a tee shot left on a dog-leg right. My ball was in the primary rough on a severe uphill grade 155 yards from the flag. I new that any shot I hit would go sky high and that long was dead, that an 8 iron probably wouldn't get me to the second tier of the green where the flag was, and that because of my lie, I'd get little to no spin...thus a flyer. So, I pulled out my 7 iron, choked up about a half inch on the grip, and smoothly shot the ball right over the flag to stop 12 feet beyond. I two-putted for par. That was happening all morning. Even when I didn't hit the green, I was chipping green side lies into kick in positions next to the hole.

The point is, why? Why was I so calmly, walking the course and hitting 120-170 yard approach shots into good positions? The only difference was playing the forward tees and not hitting the long clubs, so what was going on in my head to make me so peaceful and just play?

Monday, we have a tee time and a rather short, but hilly course. I'm planning on playing the blue tees with my full bag and try to recapture the feeling I had this week.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #597 on: August 12, 2022, 07:21:16 AM »

The point is, why? Why was I so calmly, walking the course and hitting 120-170 yard approach shots into good positions? The only difference was playing the forward tees and not hitting the long clubs, so what was going on in my head to make so peaceful and just play?

Because of the novelty and the fun of it! Your headspace is the most important thing on the course. You could have the best clubs, balls, and swings out there, but if you're in a shitty headspace, you're going to suck.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: August 12, 2022, 07:22:42 AM »
I'd agree with that. I wish that feeling came in a bottle. I'd drag a six-pack along with me.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: August 12, 2022, 12:02:52 PM »
I SUCKED monkey balls this morning. It was BA-ROOT-AL.  Couldn’t keep a tee shot in bounds on the front nine. Literally every hole including the par three’s I was tee shot OB…..just a cluster  :censored.   Fifty fucking six on the front.

Back nine was bogey golf and shot a 46…… it the damage was done on the front. I’m at a loss as that’s my second round this year where you’d have thought I’ve never golfed before.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: August 12, 2022, 12:07:43 PM »
Sorry, Gary. We all have days like that. Kudos to you for sticking with it and improving on the back nine. I think I may have detoured to the parking lot at the turn.  :)

Offline T-ski

« Reply #601 on: August 12, 2022, 01:25:26 PM »
Still trying to consistently hit around 50 in my league. After my 48 a few weeks ago I’ve gone 51 and 57.

I’ve noticed that since I’ve switched my mind set to getting bogeys on every hole instead of pars, my game has improved. I’m making smarter choices after bad shots instead of trying to make up strokes and making things worse.

I did completely lose my swing last week however and couldn’t hit the ball anywhere. Fortunately it seemed to come partially back the last couple of holes I played.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #602 on: August 23, 2022, 05:48:17 AM »
Playing bogey golf is the ticket to having a good time and a good round.   

Let's talk about balls. Do you guys have balls that you prefer to play (buy), or are you a play what you find kind of person? 

I was really trying to like the Kirkland balls. I played a few sleeves of them last summer, but they're just too hard for me. I won two dozen of those Callaway Chrome Soft balls a while back, and I really like the way they play. Shitty part is they cost $50 a dozen  :lol

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #603 on: August 23, 2022, 06:23:23 AM »
Let's talk about balls. Do you guys have balls that you prefer to play (buy), or are you a play what you find kind of person? 

There are independent sites (eBay as well) that sell recycled and refurbished golf balls. Always go for "Recycled"  if you can, "Refurbished" have been painted/touched up to make them look new. They list them from A-AAAAA. 5A will be virtually brand new, never seen a groove. 4A are "played for a hole or two" quality. 3A is the real value for decent high handicappers that want some more consistency and control from a better ball that doesn't cost much. I have been playing 4A TaylorMade balls for going on 8 years or so, now playing the Tour Preferred X for less than a dollar a ball.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: August 23, 2022, 06:26:29 AM »
Yeah, I'm a Callaway golf ball fanboi. Chrome soft and chrome supersoft are my favorites when I can get them on sale. Costco sometimes has 3 dozen packs. I'll play just about any other Callaway ball as long as they're not a weird color or look like a soccer ball. About 15 years ago, you could buy them in bulk (6 dozen) on Ebay for half price. Now days, Ebay sellers have them for list price, or more!?

I love the soft feel and the hex dimples. The hex dimples remind me of the Maxifly balls I prefered as a kid...nostalgia. I picked up some Titleist at the course last week (they were on sale) and they perform well, but sound "clicky" if you take my meaning.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: August 23, 2022, 06:30:11 AM »
Shitty part is they cost $50 a dozen  :lol

Target and Walmart sell them for $39.99 a dozen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: August 23, 2022, 07:15:41 AM »
Yeah, I'm a Callaway golf ball fanboi.

Same here. But, I'll also throw Bridgestone in there as well from time to time.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: August 25, 2022, 04:10:50 PM »
FedEx Cup? Nah.

Tour Championship? No way.

LIV Golfs law suit against the PGA? Pfaw.

The biggest question in professional golf, is why in the hell hasn't Sam Burns wife set fire to that stupid  :censored mustache?! It looks like a smashed caterpillar.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #608 on: August 29, 2022, 06:09:40 AM »
Played a bunch of golf this weekend! I played 9 with my best bud after work on Friday, 18 with my dad on Saturday morning, and then 9 with my GF's dad on Saturday afternoon. I went 43/42/43/43. I'm striking the ball as good as I ever have and getting a lot of tap in pars, and I played with the same ball for all 27 holes on Saturday! I'm really hoping to ditch my Sunday job by next summer so I can play in a league.   

Putting was a bitch this weekend though. Like lots of the US, Connecticut is dry as hell. The greens up here are so fast right now. It's like putting on a hardwood floor sometimes. I had a number of holes this week were I was on in regulation and still wound up +2. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 09:55:16 AM by Chino »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: August 29, 2022, 07:15:23 AM »
Nice run there Brian!   :tup   Golf is really fun when you're playing that well. I'm hoping to get back out this Friday

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: August 29, 2022, 11:52:48 AM »
Sounds like a great weekend, Brian.

We had a fun morning ourselves. 87: 1 triple, 3 doubles, 6 bogies, the rest pars. Mrs. P got a 2 on number 16 after pasting her tee shot to 2 1/2 feet from the pin!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: September 01, 2022, 09:40:58 AM »
Playing a course I've never played tomorrow....it's been around for quite a few years but I've just never played there. It's a links style course....always heard good things about it but am just finally getting around to play it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #612 on: September 01, 2022, 09:58:17 AM »
I love playing new courses, but it can kind of suck if you don't know the greens. Connecticut has something like 180 courses, so I always try to play at least one new one every year.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: September 01, 2022, 10:01:04 AM »
I love playing new courses, but it can kind of suck if you don't know the greens. Connecticut has something like 180 courses, so I always try to play at least one new one every year.

I was reading on their website that they have multiple double greens that are large with many elevations and levels....so...that's going to be 'neat'  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: September 02, 2022, 01:49:56 PM »
Shot a 90.  45/45. Left a good five strokes out there that were just poor golf.  Had a five foot putt for par on a par five and three putted……just dumb…..then went triple on 9, triple on 10, double on 11.

BUT……all in all hit a bunch of good shots and had six birdie putts today (didn’t make any of them) Just not going to have a low score shooting two doubles and two triples in the same round.

Course was BEAUTIFUL though. With it being a flat links style course they really had the vegetation going to where despite the lack of woods/hills you could lose a ball if you didn’t hit well.

Now that I’ve played it and know the layout better I’d like to get back there this season to get another crack at it.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #615 on: February 17, 2023, 02:05:46 PM »
Who had "Tiger Woods gives Justin Thomas a tampon during Genesis Invitational round" on your list of 'Headlines I didn't expect to read today'?

www.bbc.com/sport/golf/64673771

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: February 17, 2023, 03:28:46 PM »
*Raises hand*

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #617 on: February 18, 2023, 06:06:30 AM »
Who had "Tiger Woods gives Justin Thomas a tampon during Genesis Invitational round" on your list of 'Headlines I didn't expect to read today'?

www.bbc.com/sport/golf/64673771

It wasn't the best look IMO, but I think it shows you just how much Tiger misses the "bro" part of being out on tour. Nobody likes to talk trash and have fun on the course more than Tiger. But a more organic dig, and not a planned one, would have played better.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #618 on: April 13, 2023, 11:54:11 AM »
How you guys hitting them this season? I've managed to get four rounds (3x18 and 1x9)in so far the last two weeks. Ooof  :lol 

The swing's coming back though. I managed a 40 on the second 9 last night (44 on the front). I've been saying it for three seasons now, but THIS is the summer I'm finally going to break 40. I shot a 40 four or five times last summer, but never managed to break it. 

The weak point that I really need to work on is the 70-80 yard shots. I don't have a club for that distance. My lob wedge is good for about 60, and my next wedge up is good for about 100. I have nothing in-between. So my options are to either muscle the lob wedge, which rarely ends well, or I have to dial back the other wedge, which can also be a crap shoot. There's a huge golf outlet nearby that has tens of thousands of used clubs. I might head down there to find a 53 degree wedge on the cheap just to see how I hit it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: April 13, 2023, 12:44:13 PM »
Sad to report I've yet to play a round yet  :'(       With my new job though I anticipate being able to sneak a few more rounds in this year than I did last year.

The weak point that I really need to work on is the 70-80 yard shots. I don't have a club for that distance.

I have this shot.....the shot I don't have is 160-180 out. Just real inconsistent with this one because I don't have a club I'm confident in from that distance. I usually will take my 3 or 4 Hybrid and just rip it and hope it's somewhere near the green for a chip/putt scenario.

Good luck on breaking 40.....that's a good goal to have.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #620 on: April 13, 2023, 12:49:15 PM »
Sad to report I've yet to play a round yet  :'(       With my new job though I anticipate being able to sneak a few more rounds in this year than I did last year.

The weak point that I really need to work on is the 70-80 yard shots. I don't have a club for that distance.

I have this shot.....the shot I don't have is 160-180 out. Just real inconsistent with this one because I don't have a club I'm confident in from that distance. I usually will take my 3 or 4 Hybrid and just rip it and hope it's somewhere near the green for a chip/putt scenario.

Cheers

160-180 was always a tough range for me until I got my 4 hybrid (My 3H is good for about 190-200 off the deck). The problem I still run into from time to time is getting the ball to check. I have a tendency to roll through the greens with the hybrids.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: April 13, 2023, 12:56:35 PM »

Cheers

160-180 was always a tough range for me until I got my 4 hybrid (My 3H is good for about 190-200 off the deck). The problem I still run into from time to time is getting the ball to check. I have a tendency to roll through the greens with the hybrids.

yep....same. Like I said, I'm happy with it if I'm (obviously on the green) a handful of yards from the green as I've historically been pretty good about putting a good chip together to give me a decent shot at an up and down.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: April 13, 2023, 01:22:35 PM »
Only played once his year do to extensive snow season. I'm working through some nerve inflammation in my left shoulder which makes impact with the ball and/or the ground a bit painful.

For me, 70-80 yard shots are perfect for a full-on 56° wedge as long as I get a moderate shaft lean at impact. If I need a bit of roll out at that yardage, I'll go for a sawed off 50° wedge with a low follow through.

160 through 180 is pretty simple calculation for me. 160=7 iron, 170=6 iron, and 180=5 iron.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #623 on: April 13, 2023, 01:47:42 PM »
I don't think I could hit a 7 iron 160 yards if I was on the moon  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: April 13, 2023, 02:52:30 PM »
Try to remember, the Salt Lake Valley elevation is 4,250 feet above sea level. That helps a lot.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #625 on: April 13, 2023, 06:04:46 PM »
Snow has finally melted in my area thanks to an unusual week of 80 degree temps. A few courses have opened but not many.  I switched jobs over the winter and won’t be able to play in my weekly league due to my hours so I’m pretty bummed about that.  Still hoping to be able to get some rounds in when I can though.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #626 on: April 14, 2023, 06:13:19 AM »
I had a terrible moment in the pro shop yesterday. It was like a scene right out of an episode of Curb.

A bit of pre-text - last year this course had an instance of someone taking a golf cart and doing power slides across a few greens. Now there are waivers and new carts with GPS that shut down if you're too close to a green, bunker, or body of water.

The exchange went like this:   

Pro: Sorry guys. We had to move you to the red course. We had something bad happen on white.
Me: Vandals?
Pro: Worse.
Me: Did someone take a cart across a green?
Pro: Worse.
Me: Did someone take a cart across multiple greens?
Pro: Worse:
Me: What's worse than that?
Pro: Someone had a heart attack on 17 and died.
Me: Ohh! ... (in a totally what a relief the course isn't damaged tone)
Pro: It was one of our guys. He fell in. (There's a lake in the middle of the hole).

I swear the Curb music started playing in my head. It was 100% involuntary. I was so embarrassed.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: April 14, 2023, 08:48:31 AM »
 :omg:     Holy cow!!!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #628 on: April 18, 2023, 07:21:09 PM »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #629 on: April 19, 2023, 12:39:02 AM »
 :lol

One of those things no one would've believed you unless you had footage.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls