Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 58692 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #560 on: July 06, 2022, 07:08:46 AM »
Well.....we got rained out after two holes  :censored   30% chance of rain in the area turned into an utter downpour all morning that rained us out. Totally sucked! going to try and reschedule for this Saturday morning.
Ah that sucks man, it started to rain at the last hole for us yesterday. I also had a bad round so my comment about trying to enjoy just getting out in nature is challenged when it's bad weather.  :lol

Rescheduled for 7:50am this Saturday morning.....using our rain check.....going to ignore the 60% chance of rain in the extended forecast for now and just  hope it doesn't happen :lol 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline T-ski

« Reply #561 on: July 06, 2022, 09:38:05 PM »
My golf game in a nutshelll…

Went out for a quick nine this evening and had three pars and still shot a 51.

I have yet to break 50 on a legit course, just can’t find the consistency, although I think I’ve sort of fixed my massive slice the last couple times out.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #562 on: July 07, 2022, 12:41:20 AM »
I'm not sure why but for some reason whenever I use my Hybrid 4 nowdays I either hook or slice. I just can't seem to hit straight. I'm much more consistent with my irons and driver. The hybrid used to be my friend. Do you guys change anything in you grip or stance when you use your hybrid?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #563 on: July 07, 2022, 06:32:31 AM »
My golf game in a nutshelll…

Went out for a quick nine this evening and had three pars and still shot a 51.

I have yet to break 50 on a legit course, just can’t find the consistency, although I think I’ve sort of fixed my massive slice the last couple times out.

You'll get there. Golf's a long game. It took me 5 or 6 years, and a lot of range time, to get from averaging 50 to averaging 43ish.

I'm not sure why but for some reason whenever I use my Hybrid 4 nowdays I either hook or slice. I just can't seem to hit straight. I'm much more consistent with my irons and driver. The hybrid used to be my friend. Do you guys change anything in you grip or stance when you use your hybrid?

Is it the same type of shaft? If it's on the softer/more flexible side, that's not helping you. Your club face could be opening just from the shaft twisting. I just recently switched from carrying a 3W and  5W to a 3H and a 4H. When I was playing the woods, I played them almost the same as my driver as far as stance and ball position goes. With the Hybrids, I play them more like irons. I even "hit down" on them like I do with my irons, whereas I wouldn't do that with the woods. I'd hit them more like a driver.

The hybrid clubs are a godsend to this game. They're awesome if you're a long ways out in the rough. I can hit my 4H about 175-180 out of the rough, which is something I couldn't do with anything I was carrying last year.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: July 07, 2022, 08:20:45 AM »

I have a couple buddies who are really good at tinkering with their swings and taking swing coach advice.....rotate this....bend that....grip hard here....loosen grip there.....but, that's just something I've never been able to do. My swing is very much a 'feel' thing and I just rely on my natural athleticism to work through if things are going bad. For whatever reason I  can't take advice or direction then correlate that in my mind to make my hands/arms/hips etc etc follow whatever direction. It really is all about the feel with me.

More power to you guys who can take that direction and translate it into a better swing...I just can't do it. The most adjustment I make is how I line up/aim or where I place the ball in my stance. Outside of that....it's just 'swing' for me.

One thing is that I've been using the same set of clubs for literally 27 years. I don't hit long and have never hit a club to it's full potential....I just 'know' what each of my clubs does for me so I'm apprehensive about switching up and getting new ones. Where someone might use say a 8 or 9 iron from 150....I may use a 4 iron depending on the layout of the hole....or I may use a 5 hybrid....whatever it is I know that I just don't hit the 'right' club when it comes to yardage. Shoot, I use my 8 iron for about five or six different types of shots from anywhere from 130 out to 20 yards out...just depends. It's my 'go to' club because I have a handful of different 'swings' I use with it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #565 on: July 07, 2022, 08:54:12 AM »
There was a time in my late 20's where I golfed 3 times a month.  I got to a point where I golfed an 88 once and was usually around 91 to 93.  Now I go twice a year and his 115 - 120.  Consistency helps the swing.  I miss playing that much.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: July 07, 2022, 09:08:02 AM »
There was a time in my late 20's where I golfed 3 times a month.  I got to a point where I golfed an 88 once and was usually around 91 to 93.  Now I go twice a year and his 115 - 120.  Consistency helps the swing.  I miss playing that much.

Yep. Unfortunately or Fortunately golf is a sport that you have to play consistently to be able to 'score' well. The summer of 2020 when I was furloughed and golfing 3 and 4 times a week I was consistently shooting 85 or better. I remember I shot an 80 one round and was super pissed that I had missed a three foot birdie putt on the first hole that would have meant I would have been at a 79. Have yet to crack the 70's.

I'm an 'average' golfer when I'm only playing 3 or 4 times a year. I'll shoot in the low 90's / upper 80's....which I'm perfectly fine with because that means you're hitting some good shots....and probably just giving a handful of strokes away with some less than desirable shots that....were you playing more.....would not happen.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: July 08, 2022, 02:31:54 PM »

Is the ball flight actually bending severely?! A hook usually requires you swing the club head inside-out, and a slice requires a severe outside-in swipe. Some of the best players on the planet would have a hard time deliberately going back and forth between those results because the swings to produce hooks and slices are dramatically different.

Now, if your ball flight is straight but is launching in unexpected directions only with that club, then as Chino says, the flex of the club could be off for the speed of your swing. In my experience, that's unlikely and it's more likely that you are either delaying release (push off to the right) or casting the club head (pulling off to the left)...assuming you're right handed. If your confidence is low with the club, that could also cause you to try and "steer" or help the club which get's your arms, hands, and wrist out of sync with your lower body.

My suggestion is much like Chino says. Think of your 4H as a 7 iron. Set up the same way, ball just slightly forward of center, strike down on the ball--taking a shallow divot just after contact. I would also suggest you get the feeling that your follow through is faster (or more energetic) than your downswing. That might help with your timing and not getting too handsy at impact.

Good luck.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #568 on: July 08, 2022, 02:44:32 PM »
Thx for the tips guys!  :tup You're right, most of my bad hits are probably not hooks or slices but more the way you explain it. I do actually play my Hybrid as Irons but I might put the ball too much in the center. I'll try to put it a bit more forward and strike down on the ball.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: July 08, 2022, 03:22:09 PM »
To be fair, all of us recreational players have pulls and pushes, or unintended draws and fades, but generally if your not off your target line by more than 20 yards either direction, you can recover and/or adjust. However, for me, these tendencies show up across the board, and not with just one club. You may wish to borrow a 4H from a buddy or playing partner and see if it is club related.

Of course, there's always going to the range and seeing if you can make peace with yours.  :)

BTW, those are great clubs for hitting out of fairway bunkers. I love using my 3H in those circumstances if I'm more than 170 yards from the green. 210 yards is the sweet spot for that club, and I've had some mind boggling results.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #570 on: July 08, 2022, 06:12:08 PM »
I just shot a 42 with 3 doubles  :lol

I love/hate this game so much.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: July 08, 2022, 06:21:42 PM »
I just shot a 42 with 3 doubles  :lol

I love/hate this game so much.

:rollin    Yep…..sounds about right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: July 08, 2022, 09:41:31 PM »
That’s par golf for 6 holes! Gotta accentuate the positive.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: July 09, 2022, 11:43:20 AM »
Just played the worst round I’ve played in years. Shot a 98. It rained pretty steady for the first 13 holes…..was miserable. Final 6 holes after it stopped I was three over but the damage was done by then. So pissed. I don’t get to get out as much these days so piss poor rounds like this really tick me off…..even if I know I’m not a pro. Just had a bunch of dumb strokes

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #574 on: July 09, 2022, 11:46:43 AM »
Just played the worst round I’ve played in years. Shot a 98. It rained pretty steady for the first 13 holes…..was miserable. Final 6 holes after it stopped I was three over but the damage was done by then. So pissed. I don’t get to get out as much these days so piss poor rounds like this really tick me off…..even if I know I’m not a pro. Just had a bunch of dumb strokes

(sorry, had to do it...:P  ugly day here in STL for sure)

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: July 09, 2022, 12:08:41 PM »

(sorry, had to do it...:P  ugly day here in STL for sure)

:lol    I know, I know. Weather or not you gotta be able to play. If I had the opportunity to play more I’d have just skipped the tee time this morning. But, tried to get it in. It just flat sucked out and I let it affect my concentration and attitude. When your playing a sport that’s just as much mental execution as physical execution….I deserved the score I got. Just pissed at how poorly I played. I know I’m not a pro but I do have expectations and I didn’t meet them at all today. Plus, my youngest brother beat me by 4 strokes and he SUCKS at golf…..so….you can imagine how I’ll never hear the end of this.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #576 on: July 19, 2022, 08:33:23 PM »
Shot a 48 in my league tonight including a birdie on the last hole. First time breaking 50!

Duffed some chips shots that cost me a few strokes but I’m pretty stoked right now.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: July 19, 2022, 09:42:36 PM »
Shot a 48 in my league tonight including a birdie on the last hole. First time breaking 50!

Duffed some chips shots that cost me a few strokes but I’m pretty stoked right now.

Nice work! I HATE duffing chips shots! Most of the time avoidable….just a lack of concentration and getting complacent. That mental aspect of golf is huge. But nice work breaking 50 for the first time.  :tup

I’m on vacation this week and am playing tomorrow morning. Teeing off at 7 am with my brother in law in the hopes of beating  the 104 degree forecasted high.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: July 20, 2022, 05:57:03 AM »
Stay cool and hydrated today, Gary.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: July 20, 2022, 10:27:22 AM »
Stay cool and hydrated today, Gary.

Mission accomplished on that front. Was pounding water all round.

Shot an 88….pretty much bogey golf all day. Left a few strokes out there I’d like to have back but all in all hit pretty good. I had more OB shots than I’d have liked to have but recovered well when I did……and we beat the heat for the most part so pretty happy at this point.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #580 on: July 20, 2022, 02:57:42 PM »

Stupid question but that's after playing 9 holes right?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #581 on: July 20, 2022, 03:03:35 PM »

Oh no, that’s 18. ;)

Yes, it was 9.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #582 on: July 20, 2022, 03:10:16 PM »

Oh no, that’s 18. ;)

Yes, it was 9.
:D Wasn't doubting your ability to score that but I get a bit confused about numbers in this game sometimes. We're talking strokes so I get it now.  :)

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: August 10, 2022, 08:37:44 AM »
I'm off work this Friday and am going to grab a round with my brother in law....then, on Monday we have our company Golf Tournament....so....I'll be getting a chance to get a bit of time on the course over the next few days. And, the weather looks GREAT in the St. Louis area over the next week.....highs in the low to mid 80's so that's a plus as well

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #584 on: August 10, 2022, 12:54:07 PM »
A week ago I had a nice round with some friends, we were in good spirit and the weather was really nice. On the 6th hole one of my friends got a bad hit and hit a duck calmly laying at the pond with it's ducklings. Oh man the horror scene was unfolding... The poor duck got hit really bad because it was barely moving and it's duckling were screaming and running around when they noticed something was not right with it's mother. Our previous good spirit was just erased. I felt so bad for the poor thing but we couldn't do much. We called the greenkeeper and he came and took care of it. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: August 10, 2022, 12:59:20 PM »
A week ago I had a nice round with some friends, we were in good spirit and the weather was really nice. On the 6th hole one of my friends got a bad hit and hit a duck calmly laying at the pond with it's ducklings. Oh man the horror scene was unfolding... The poor duck got hit really bad because it was barely moving and it's duckling were screaming and running around when they noticed something was not right with it's mother. Our previous good spirit was just erased. I felt so bad for the poor thing but we couldn't do much. We called the greenkeeper and he came and took care of it.

Aw Man! That sucks!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: August 11, 2022, 05:43:52 AM »
Yikes, Boomer!

Monday, I had to fend of a group of ducks that wanted to attack Mrs. P while she was pitching to the 8th green at our course. I bravely waved a 7 iron in the lead ducks grill. The bastards looked like they just woke up from a bender.

Anyway, I think I've shared with y'all that I really don't keep score anymore. I just play, try to hit the best shots I can, and enjoy my wife's company. But an interesting thing happened recently. I was really struggling to make good shots a few weeks ago, and this was a trend that had been on going all season. Started out playing well, but each week things would deteriorate. If I had to put it into scoring numbers, I'd say easily 95. That's really bad for me, I used to carry an 8 handicap.

Well, two weeks ago, on the back-nine, I told Mrs. P, "Look, if you don't mind, I'll come play from the forward tees with you, and we can play best ball for fun." Well, I never played more than a 5 iron, and we almost always took my shot...which is odd, because Mrs. P is a good golfer. So Monday when we played nine holes (the course is busy with tournaments this time of year), I decided to play the forward tees again. Again, never taking anything longer than a 5 iron from my bag. I shot even par, boys. Five pars, two birdies, two bogies, for a 36!

Now, I don't know about your local course, but there isn't that much difference from the white tees to the red tees. 8-9 strokes?! What is going on here? What can I take from this experience and apply to my game going forward. It's got to be mental, don't you folks think so?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: August 11, 2022, 07:14:04 AM »
Now, I don't know about your local course, but there isn't that much difference from the white tees to the red tees. 8-9 strokes?! What is going on here? What can I take from this experience and apply to my game going forward. It's got to be mental, don't you folks think so?

I'd say so. I mean, yeah.....golf requires a lot of 'physical' skill and coordination but when it comes down to it the mental aspect of golf is what separates the really good players from your average Joe's. Being able to focus and concentrate on EVERY shot.....being able to 'forget' the last shot good or bad and prep yourself for the shot at hand.....there's something to be said about a strong mental golf game. I know my 'mental' golf game suffers because I just can't keep that focus for the whole round and it shifts from hole to hole.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #588 on: August 11, 2022, 08:57:28 AM »
Most of the courses I play go R > W> Y > B (sometimes white and yellow are switched). Anyway, there's is a HUGE difference between the red and the white tees. On some holes it's 50+ yards. Playing the forward tees on the course I play one would easily shave 3-5 shots off per nine I would think. Every Par 5 becomes a par 4, and all the par 3s that are 190+ yards suddenly become an easy hit. On at least two of the holes, it's the difference between being able to drive over a creek or having to layup my tee shot and bomb a 3H to the green.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: August 11, 2022, 10:00:07 AM »
I have two buddies who golf 4-5 times a week....nearly scratch golfers. It sucks playing with them because they play the tips anytime they play. I guess I could just say 'no' and play from where I normally play which is the Blue....on 'better' courses I'd play Whites.  (In St Louis it's typicall R > W > Blue > Black) But I don't want to be 'that guy' when I play with them so I tough it out and just play from the tips and it's just that much more difficult

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #590 on: August 11, 2022, 10:47:32 AM »
Does "tips" mean the furthest tees? I can't tell you how many groups I get behind where all 4 people are playing the furthest back tees (No.4) when their skill level should have them hitting from the third furthest (No.2). It's so freaking annoying. I've played behind groups of frat bros playing the furthest tees and in a round of 9 not a single one hit a ball in the fairway off a tee. Guys that can't drive much more than 230 yards are playing the furthest tees... it's so stupid. I don't understand it. Even when they click back-to-back shots, they're still nowhere near the green.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: August 11, 2022, 10:53:03 AM »
Yeah…..furthest tee box back. I too have seen those groups and guys. I can attest to my two buddies that they belong there…..whereas I do not.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #592 on: August 11, 2022, 11:06:02 AM »
I feel like my dad is starting to feel that pressure. He's going to be 67 in about a month. I play the second longest tees (No.3), and he's really starting to struggle from that distance. He hit's the ball solid and well, he just doesn't have the power anymore. He's stuck at about 200 off the tee, and he has to basically play woods/hybrids into the green on every hole. I can tell it's really bumming him out. He's started playing the thirds furthest tees (the senior tees) on par 4s that are over 400 yards and on most par 5s. He's got too much pride still to play an entire round from those tees just yet.   

Sometimes I wish he would though. There have been a few rounds this year where I blame him for my performance. I know that's kind of lame, but I think it's true. When we played last weekend, I was having a good day and shot a 42 on the front 9. My dad was sucking and with each passing hole his attitude became more and more sour. I'm sharing a cart with the guy, but no matter how much I try and block it out, he starts sucking all of the fun out of the round. I ended up shooting a 49 on the back. I couldn't wait to just get off the course.

(please don't take anything I've said to be a critique or a shot at you and what tees you play from)

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: August 11, 2022, 11:51:07 AM »
(please don't take anything I've said to be a critique or a shot at you and what tees you play from)

Not at all. It's really a course to course choice for me. A lot of the 'better' courses around St. Louis....their third tee box is like playing from the tips at other 'lesser' courses.....so, I'll go from the Whites or second tee boxes there because it's still very challenging.

Most of the $40-50 dollar courses I play.....like the one I'll play tomorrow....I'll go from the Blues or 'third' tee box because the whites will be too much of an advantage to tee off from. The two friends I mentioned really don't waste their time at the lower tier courses so when I play with them it's always on an $80-100 course AND playing the tips...it's usually a tough round for me because I'm usually staring at a 170-190 yd. second shot into the green. That's a tough range for me.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #594 on: August 11, 2022, 12:04:36 PM »
That's been my least favorite short for a long time. I recently picked up 3 and 5 hybrids from Callaway, and they make those shots sooo much easier. I don't know why I was so hesitant to get those clubs in favor of sticking with my long irons, but it almost feels like cheating now.