Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 58372 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #525 on: February 23, 2022, 07:42:08 AM »
So he said disparaging things about Saudi Arabia? And he's losing sponsors because of it?

Well, it's more subtle than that--and is all in the article I posted.

He did comment on Saudi Arabia's human rights record, and negatively, but he also was an advocate for the Saudi sponsored league that would compete with the PGA. He's mostly losing sponsorship from KPMB because his opposition to the PGA, and the PGA tour. The other stars of the tour have come out, in recent weeks, in support of the PGA (they know who butters their bread), so he kinda got caught looking like a lone wolf advocating for an unpopular position. In DTF terms, think of him as the Stadler of pro golf.

He's walking that back now (a bit), although it's coming off as talking out of both sides of his mouth. Something, ol' Leftie has been known for in the past. It's not really out of character for him.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #526 on: February 23, 2022, 07:48:26 AM »
OK, thank you Gregg. I have a better understanding now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: February 23, 2022, 02:55:08 PM »
Say what you want about MIGJAM, he is what he is.  You already know what you're going to get with him, I'm honestly surprised that anyone is surprised.   :biggrin:  He's put his foot in his mouth enough to know how sharp his spikes are...

I do wish he wouldn't walk it back though... just take your stance and withstand the winds.  The "deeply sorry for my choice of words" is a bit passive/aggressive (meaning he's sorry for how he expressed his opinion, but his opinion hasn't changed)... why even apologize at all?  Just be yourself man, you don't need the sponsors.

For clarity, Phil will likely always be my favorite pro... I don't need to agree with the man to like his game.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: February 23, 2022, 04:00:52 PM »
Say what you want about MIGJAM, he is what he is.  You already know what you're going to get with him, I'm honestly surprised that anyone is surprised.   :biggrin:  He's put his foot in his mouth enough to know how sharp his spikes are...

Migjam? Help me on this.

Phil is my wife’s favorite. Well, he was
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: February 23, 2022, 10:59:20 PM »
Just read what Phil said. Boy, if I was his agent/handler, I would confiscate his passport and forbid him from leaving the country for, say, the next 40 years. Might want to hire some armed guards too.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: February 24, 2022, 10:46:13 AM »

Migjam? Help me on this.

Phil is my wife’s favorite. Well, he was

Man I'm Good Just Ask Me... some TV spot in the early 2000s with him and another player (Tiger I think, or maybe Duval before the implosion) and the other guy was talking about nicknames for players.  MIGJAM was Phil's... although I think FIGJAM made an appearance too.  :biggrin:  Phil may have given himself that nickname.

Again, Phil will very likely be my favorite player of all-time so I don't hold any ill thoughts toward him at all... Duval was tied with Phil for me for a long time pre Nike signing and implosion (don't get me started on Duval... Double D was his nickname... I think it was Tiger giving the nicknames).

@ Cool C... I've not read exactly what Phil said... are we talking Fatwa here?  Is he Larry David level?
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: February 24, 2022, 08:28:01 PM »
It's too complicated for to summarize the whole story, not just Phil's involvement, succinctly, but he called the Saudis [meaning the whole country, or the people associated with this new golf league, who knows] "scary motherf*ckers" in an interview he considered "off the record."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: February 25, 2022, 01:20:47 PM »
Geez... that's a compliment this day and time.  :biggrin:  Regardless, Phil should know that there is no speech "off the record", unless that thought remains unsaid (therefore it's not speech). 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: March 01, 2022, 09:53:57 PM »
These are the lines quoted to Phil:

"We know they killed [Washington Post reporter Jamal] Khashoggi and have a horrible record on human rights."
"They execute people over there for being gay. Knowing all of this, why would I even consider it? Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates."

Money.  And greed.  Regardless of who you have to go to bed with.  And Phil is such a constrained and poverty stricken individual. :loser:

Meanwhile, for some levity, this is from a few weeks back. I had just tuned in about two minutes before this insanity.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqcsmUZU5ic

I'm glad no one got hit.  I wouldn't condone it....except for where it happened.  Kinda like when TP was thrown onto some college basketball courts after the home team's first basket.  Not cool.  Unless it was your team, and you were there, and suddenly the heaven's open up with rolls of Charmin (to be honest, I would take some of the cheap stuff from work to Central Michigan games back in '87.....) 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: April 11, 2022, 05:12:02 AM »
An interesting Masters with the cold and fairly high scores throughout, Tiger's return, etc.

Scottie Scheffler is certainly a man on fire, with four wins in six tournaments.

Question:  anybody ever four putt on the 72nd hole to win any tournament, much less a major?  That was a bit of a 'oh, my' moment.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: April 11, 2022, 05:42:17 AM »
I was wondering the same thing. I couldn't help be embarrassed for the guy. Do you know every other PGA player who possesses a green jacket is going to let him hear about it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #536 on: April 11, 2022, 05:49:28 AM »
I gasped when he did as well.  LOL 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #537 on: April 11, 2022, 06:05:23 AM »
The weather is looking great for CT this Friday. I opted to take Friday off and go play  :coolio

Over the winter I picked up a new to me Sim driver and some new Callaway hybrid clubs to replace my fairway woods. I'm really looking forward to trying them on an actual course. All signs in the simulators and at the range seem positive. I can carry another 30 yards or so off the tee compared to my old Taylormade R540 driver.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: April 14, 2022, 02:18:28 PM »
An interesting Masters with the cold and fairly high scores throughout, Tiger's return, etc.

Scottie Scheffler is certainly a man on fire, with four wins in six tournaments.

Question:  anybody ever four putt on the 72nd hole to win any tournament, much less a major?  That was a bit of a 'oh, my' moment.

In the 2003 Wachovia Championship, David Toms threw up a quad (8) on the 18th hole before winning the tourney.  It wasn't a four-putt, but I'm sure Toms would have preferred a four-putt over what actually happened.  :lol  Believe he was in the creek twice on that hole.  I saw that performance live and the crowd on 18 was kind of silent for the majority of the hole.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #539 on: April 15, 2022, 01:03:04 PM »
Just got back from my first round of the season. I hit all but 3 fairways in regulation off the tee with my new driver, didn't lose a ball, and still managed to shoot a 98  :lol

I picked up a pair of Callaway hybrid woods, and they cost me a couple strokes. When I connected, I hit them great, but I topped a half dozen shots with them, which is really uncharacteristic of me. I'll chalk that up to being the first round of the year. I four putted two greens from within 20' as well. That didn't do me any favors.

Either way, it was a great day out, and even the worst day on the course is better than the best day at the office. It felt great to get out again.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #540 on: April 25, 2022, 05:50:07 PM »
Saw this on the news this morning. I have no sympathy for the family and I cannot believe they won their case and got as much money as they did. YOU LIVE ON A FREAKIN' GOLF COURSE!

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/family-sues-country-club-for-dollar5-million-over-repeated-damage
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #541 on: April 26, 2022, 06:11:05 AM »
Saw this on the news this morning. I have no sympathy for the family and I cannot believe they won their case and got as much money as they did. YOU LIVE ON A FREAKIN' GOLF COURSE!

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/family-sues-country-club-for-dollar5-million-over-repeated-damage

Eh, I think the dollar amount is ridiculous, but I'm curious what the property arrangement is. If they belong to the course through ownership of the home, like some kind of shared community, that's one thing. If they happen to live on property that's not affiliated with the golf course and just happens to be adjacent to it, I think the onus is on the golf course to keep stuff out of their property and from projectiles damaging their home (within reason). The course I grew up playing on had netting between many of the homes that shared a property line with the golf course. Trees were planted in front of the netting so you'd barely notice it unless you were in there looking for a ball.

Since I'm a petty asshole sometimes, I would have written expletives on all the balls that came into my yard, and then spent an afternoon just littering the adjacent hole with them. Hitting hundreds of golf balls into the fairway and making it a pain in the ass for everyone trying to find their tee shot would have had the course addressing the issue the following Monday. I mean, if the course isn't responsible for balls going from their property onto another, I'd argue the same applies for balls flying the other direction.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 06:32:11 AM by Chino »

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: April 26, 2022, 12:52:51 PM »

Eh, I think the dollar amount is ridiculous, but I'm curious what the property arrangement is. If they belong to the course through ownership of the home, like some kind of shared community, that's one thing. If they happen to live on property that's not affiliated with the golf course and just happens to be adjacent to it, I think the onus is on the golf course to keep stuff out of their property and from projectiles damaging their home (within reason). The course I grew up playing on had netting between many of the homes that shared a property line with the golf course. Trees were planted in front of the netting so you'd barely notice it unless you were in there looking for a ball.

Since I'm a petty asshole sometimes, I would have written expletives on all the balls that came into my yard, and then spent an afternoon just littering the adjacent hole with them. Hitting hundreds of golf balls into the fairway and making it a pain in the ass for everyone trying to find their tee shot would have had the course addressing the issue the following Monday. I mean, if the course isn't responsible for balls going from their property onto another, I'd argue the same applies for balls flying the other direction.

:rollin  That's an idea...  :rollin

Offline T-ski

« Reply #543 on: April 26, 2022, 02:35:34 PM »
I’ll be back in a golf league after a two year hiatus. I only played a couple of times last year so it’ll be a real work in progress the first few times out. Plus Wisconsin hasn’t experienced much of a spring so far so I’m not sure our course will even be playable by next week when we start.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #544 on: May 14, 2022, 04:53:34 AM »
Played my first 9-hole round in 1 1/2 year. It went alright and to my surprise I did alot of fairly straight shots which was nice but I fumbled with my close play.

Honestly one of my biggest problem is keeping track of my strokes, I kept second guess myself all the time. 
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #545 on: May 24, 2022, 03:21:44 PM »
The golf swing is such an interesting thing, it seems some people have this idea of how you should do a golf swing without having taken a lesson to learn it proper. So when they do it for real they imitate how they think you should swing or they interpreter their own kind of swing. I feel that's kinda unique compared to other sports, right?  It's all kinda funny seeing videos like this:

Crazy Golf Swings

But then you have pros doing unconventional swings that also look kinda funny but for some reason they have been training that swing so much that they can control it and make it actually work great.

Top 10: Unique swings on the PGA TOUR

I think the diffrence is that the pros in the video above strike the ball kinda similar but everything before the strike is kinda all over the place with their own flavour. I'm not great analyzing swings so someone else might have a proper explanation.

I'm not sure were i'm going with this but I do find it interesting. I would say my swing is pretty standard being taught as a kid. The interesting thing for me is that when I picked up golf again after almost 30 years the swing I learned as a kid felt pretty natural. It's amazing how you can be a sponge as a kid and just learn stuff so easy.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: June 07, 2022, 06:49:17 PM »
Well this LIV league is certainly making for some interesting news.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #547 on: June 23, 2022, 08:15:54 AM »
Costco knocked $50 off their signature Kirkland putter. It's only $99 now. Seeing as I'm still using the same putter I got when I was 14, I think I'm due for an upgrade  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #548 on: June 23, 2022, 08:33:59 AM »
Costco knocked $50 off their signature Kirkland putter. It's only $99 now. Seeing as I'm still using the same putter I got when I was 14, I think I'm due for an upgrade  :lol

I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with your putter now? Once you get the 'feel' for one it's tough to switch. I made a switch about four years ago to just a normal blade style Odyssey....not one of the real expensive ones but just the $100 version....put on an oversized grip and have grown to like the feel.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #549 on: June 23, 2022, 08:57:19 AM »

I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with your putter now? Once you get the 'feel' for one it's tough to switch. I made a switch about four years ago to just a normal blade style Odyssey....not one of the real expensive ones but just the $100 version....put on an oversized grip and have grown to like the feel.

Current putter is old and has a slight bend  :lol and the grip is starting to disintegrate. A new grip was going to run me $35ish anyway, so I figured might as well get something new that's straight  :lol I'm been consistently shooting in the 85-88 range recently, and I'm leaving so many putts just hanging on the left or right edge of the cup. I'm thinking if I had a putter that was actually square, I could mitigate some of that. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: June 23, 2022, 09:10:25 AM »
been consistently shooting in the 85-88 range recently, and I'm leaving so many putts just hanging on the left or right edge of the cup. I'm thinking if I had a putter that was actually square, I could mitigate some of that.

Nice work  :tup   I've only been out twice so far this year....a real bummer  :(   Once in a tournament where I hit the ball pretty well but obviously didn't have a personal score.....and then last Friday I was able to play and shot an 88. Could have probably been 4 or 5 strokes lower but had a couple 'duffed' shots near the green. All in all though I was happy because I didn't lose a ball and shot in the 80's so.....

If you can....what helps....is practice those 5-7 foot putts in your house on the carpet or rug or something. I've found that just getting the feel for those does help, even if it's indoors on fake crap...it'll help your form and maybe square up some stuff. But yeah, if your putter is deformed then it's probably a good purchase  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #551 on: June 23, 2022, 09:16:30 AM »
been consistently shooting in the 85-88 range recently, and I'm leaving so many putts just hanging on the left or right edge of the cup. I'm thinking if I had a putter that was actually square, I could mitigate some of that.

Nice work  :tup   I've only been out twice so far this year....a real bummer  :(   Once in a tournament where I hit the ball pretty well but obviously didn't have a personal score.....and then last Friday I was able to play and shot an 88. Could have probably been 4 or 5 strokes lower but had a couple 'duffed' shots near the green. All in all though I was happy because I didn't lose a ball and shot in the 80's so.....

If you can....what helps....is practice those 5-7 foot putts in your house on the carpet or rug or something. I've found that just getting the feel for those does help, even if it's indoors on fake crap...it'll help your form and maybe square up some stuff. But yeah, if your putter is deformed then it's probably a good purchase  :lol

That's a bummer. I think I've played 11 or 12 times so far this year. My dad and I have been going out every Saturday morning, and when one of my guy friends can get off baby duty, we try to get out one night during the week.

As for putting practice, I have a course only 5 minutes from me with a decently sized practice green. I've been going up there one night a week and just spending a half hour or 45 minutes on the green practicing. The green and the five yards around it are really where the game is won or lost. I know getting off the tee is important, but any time I have a bad round, it's because my chipping or putting was off.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: June 23, 2022, 09:28:34 AM »
The green and the five yards around it are really where the game is won or lost. I know getting off the tee is important, but any time I have a bad round, it's because my chipping or putting was off.

Yep.....this area is where you can shave a bunch of strokes off your game. If you can get up and down from say...within 20-30yds and in from the green consistently then that's huge. Most 'good' golfers have no issue from that distance and in making a nice chip up to within 10 foot or less and then making the putt.

And if you're within that 5 yards or so off the green that you mentioned.....a chip and a putt is obviously the goal and where you can save so many strokes.

When I was playing lot two summers ago during the Covid summer when I was furloughed....that's where I got pretty good at shaving strokes. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #553 on: June 23, 2022, 11:29:20 AM »
Yea i've also been practicing my short game lately. You can really mess up your score around the green atleast for me and i've been neglecting that for the range for a long time.

Chipping is my nemesis, either I hit too soft for a specific range or it's too hard, so annoying.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #554 on: June 30, 2022, 06:30:53 AM »
Chipping is the thing that's been really helping me lately. I'm more comfortable around the green now than I've ever been. I shot an 85 playing 18 the week before last and I one-putted 11 of the greens. It's an old Cleveland wedge from the late 80s that my dad gave me when I was just starting out. It's my favorite club by far.

Also, my Kirkland putter came in. It's really nice and well built for $100. Apparently it's Kirkland's answer to the signature club Tiger plays with. I've got a couple rounds booked for the long weekend. I can't wait to try it out. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: June 30, 2022, 07:24:38 AM »
Just got a tee time booked for Saturday morning to golf with my brothers. Playing a pretty tough course though so it'll be a challenge given the fact I've golfed twice this year....but just glad to get out.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #556 on: June 30, 2022, 02:15:43 PM »
Just got a tee time booked for Saturday morning to golf with my brothers. Playing a pretty tough course though so it'll be a challenge given the fact I've golfed twice this year....but just glad to get out.
I think the most enjoyable thing for me in golf is just getting out in nature alone or with friends and enjoy the course layout and surrounding area, especially on a nice beautiful day but also if it's a new course. Of course it's nice too play well but I try to enjoy that aspect more than how I play.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #557 on: July 05, 2022, 07:00:16 AM »
I got 3 rounds in this weekend and played pretty well. By the third round, I seemed to had finally gotten the feel of my new putter. It's so different from my old one. The first 6 or 7 holes were pure embarrassment  :lol 

I don't know about where you guys live, but around here, women have flocked to golf the last few years. Especially once covid hit. I regularly see foursomes of all women (young ones), and get paired with husbands and wives all the time. Have you guys noticed the women playing the men's tees where you play? I saw it a few times last season, but this season, it seems very common. The lady in our foursome was playing the white tees (3rd furthest), as were all four of the women in the group behind us. 

I'm not complaining about it. Just a changing wind I suppose. I didn't quite get it though. The woman that was playing with us was a good player, but she was only 5'4 or so and was probably in the 135lbs range. There were a bunch of holes where she was shooting herself in the foot just because of the tees she was playing. She'd hit 3 monster shots and still be 70 yards out on a par 5. Are you guys seeing that where you play too?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: July 05, 2022, 10:08:46 AM »
I think the most enjoyable thing for me in golf is just getting out in nature alone or with friends and enjoy the course layout and surrounding area, especially on a nice beautiful day but also if it's a new course. Of course it's nice too play well but I try to enjoy that aspect more than how I play.

Well.....we got rained out after two holes  :censored   30% chance of rain in the area turned into an utter downpour all morning that rained us out. Totally sucked! going to try and reschedule for this Saturday morning.

Brian....I don't know that I've noticed an uptick in women golfers around here.....but then again, I'm not out on the course all that much anymore either.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #559 on: July 05, 2022, 12:46:27 PM »

Well.....we got rained out after two holes  :censored   30% chance of rain in the area turned into an utter downpour all morning that rained us out. Totally sucked! going to try and reschedule for this Saturday morning.
Ah that sucks man, it started to rain at the last hole for us yesterday. I also had a bad round so my comment about trying to enjoy just getting out in nature is challenged when it's bad weather.  :lol

I don't know about where you guys live, but around here, women have flocked to golf the last few years. Especially once covid hit. I regularly see foursomes of all women (young ones), and get paired with husbands and wives all the time. Have you guys noticed the women playing the men's tees where you play?
Can't say since I started playing fairly recently but golf has definitly had an upswing since Covid hit so it's probably true. I see lots of golf women on social media like YT, FB and insta getting traction so I guess that's helps alot.