Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 58248 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #490 on: May 17, 2021, 05:01:49 PM »
Yeah, the golf gods kicked me in the nuts on Saturday. I played with three guys that used to mentor the robotics team I was on in high school and I shot a 99  :lol

They just had to remind you who the boss is
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #491 on: May 18, 2021, 01:15:38 AM »
When I had my lessons last summer I naively said to my instructor that I thought putting was actually pretty easy if you do it right....yea that didn't get the respons I thought. Once you go deep into every shot in golf you realise there's so many variables and factors in hand you can go crazy.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #492 on: May 23, 2021, 03:44:34 PM »
Phil has been so solid today. Trying to win his 6th as the oldest player ever to do so.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: May 23, 2021, 06:53:38 PM »
This was on my radar this morning and I meant to follow it, but got involved in other things. Well done, Phil. I thought Jack at 46 at Augusta was never going to be topped. If Watson couldn't do it at the Open in 2011(?) it wasn't going to happen. I still think 18 is safe for another 100 years. A championship at 50 may stand for just as long.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: May 24, 2021, 06:21:28 AM »
We intentionally tuned out for holes 7 through 11, because it was too nerve wracking for us to watch!  Phil left a lot of shots on the course, was often penalized when a shot was one yard from being perfect, but fortunately, so many others made their share of mistakes.  The bunker shot on 5 will never be forgotten.  The course was everything you want in a major.  I haven't seen all the interviews, but I hope someone asked him how he handled it, and whether any past demons haunted him at times. 

He's like your favorite sports team, where you shake your head because of a miscue in a Game 7, or missing the crucial chip shot FG at the end...... but when they win......

The scene at 18 was at first impressive, then scary.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 08:18:09 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: May 24, 2021, 08:35:35 AM »
That was really cool to see. I didn't get a chance to watch much of it this weekend....but was able to watch the final back 9. I'd always thought Tiger would set the record for the oldest major winner....I suppose there's a 'chance' he still could.....but it's remarkable how Phil has been able to stay healthy and in shape in order to keep competing AND winning against this younger generation.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: May 24, 2021, 08:38:08 AM »
Came REALLY close to a hole in one this weekend at a tournament for our Hockey club. 168 yds

The pic sucks because I still framed it from a video we were taking walking up to it. That thing was rolling right at it and just died out. My heart was pumping. The funny thing was that was  closest to the pin hole but for the women  >:(   Oh well. Maybe someday I'll get that elusive hole in one

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #497 on: May 24, 2021, 09:10:11 AM »
Congrats!  :metal

As soon as the weather gets better i'll start playing again. Haven't played a game this season yet only been at the range.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #498 on: May 24, 2021, 03:13:40 PM »
The best major I've seen in recent memory.  Phil is a true people's champion.  :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #499 on: May 24, 2021, 11:23:06 PM »

Had the privilege this afternoon of playing nine holes at one of the most beautiful courses I’ve ever walked on, Big Meadow at Black Butte Ranch in Sisters, OR. Was definitely challenging too. As the pictures suggest, anything offline was punished pretty hard. I found myself in jail 2-3 times and had to just chip conservatively out to the fairway. Played two balls as a single, and scored 41 and 43 with each respective one. Not gonna argue against that!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #500 on: May 26, 2021, 11:45:19 AM »
This Brooks Koepka/Bryson DeChambeau rivalry is entertaining.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: June 08, 2021, 04:15:25 PM »
Jon Rahm, in spite of the fact that my wife and I pull for him in every tournament, is an idiotic d-bag.

Your own fault for not getting the C19 shot before you were near someone that needed to be traced, and then you test positive.  $1.65 M out of your pocket because you were an idiot. Not the brightest business owner, were you?  Oh, and to subject your playing partners and the press to it when you knew you might be positive.

Sorry....just another pro golfing selfish golfing a hole (not the only one).

Oh....personally....was four over after six holes in April, then couldn't hit a wood or iron more than thirty yards half the time, or would spray it thirty degrees right but 200 yards long.  A truly 'WTF?' stretch of holes.  And then, one under for my final six holes, hitting four of the greens in regulation.  Infuriating!
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #502 on: June 09, 2021, 10:11:18 AM »
Oh....personally....was four over after six holes in April, then couldn't hit a wood or iron more than thirty yards half the time, or would spray it thirty degrees right but 200 yards long.  A truly 'WTF?' stretch of holes.  And then, one under for my final six holes, hitting four of the greens in regulation.  Infuriating!

This is usually how a good portion of my rounds go as well. Play pretty well for a stretch of holes, completely blow up and lose any sense of my swing for 3-5 holes, and then play well again the rest of the round. Absolutely frustrating indeed.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #503 on: June 09, 2021, 10:30:41 AM »
Jon Rahm, in spite of the fact that my wife and I pull for him in every tournament, is an idiotic d-bag.

Your own fault for not getting the C19 shot before you were near someone that needed to be traced, and then you test positive.  $1.65 M out of your pocket because you were an idiot. Not the brightest business owner, were you?  Oh, and to subject your playing partners and the press to it when you knew you might be positive.

Sorry....just another pro golfing selfish golfing a hole (not the only one).

To be fair to Jon, I heard he got his first shot like a few days before the tourney still  makes him vulnerable to getting the COVIDs. But yes, bad on him for waiting so long. There was a vaccine tent issuing J&J back in March at one of the tourney that he and others could have taken advantage of.

But boy, that was an EXPENSIVE mistake because he was playing lights out and even if things went South in the final round and he ends up in second place, he still banks a cool $1 mil. Instead, he ends up with one big goose-egg for having to withdraw. Incredible!  :facepalm:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #504 on: June 25, 2021, 08:45:21 AM »
Decided to order me one of these watches last night:
https://www.costco.com/golf-buddy-gps-golf-watch.product.100754230.html

I started using an app on my phone last year that has a lot of live yardage information relative to the green and my game significantly improved. It gave me confidence in what irons I hit and when, and that mental hurdle is like half of the game of golf. When I'm out in a cart, I don't mind using the phone because I can leave it in a cup holder, but when I'm walking, I hate having it in my pocket. The watch will solve that annoyance. Being able to swipe and see the topography of the green you're on seems a bit cheap though  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: June 25, 2021, 09:30:40 AM »

I started using an app on my phone last year that has a lot of live yardage information relative to the green and my game significantly improved. It gave me confidence in what irons I hit and when, and that mental hurdle is like half of the game of golf. When I'm out in a cart, I don't mind using the phone because I can leave it in a cup holder, but when I'm walking, I hate having it in my pocket. The watch will solve that annoyance. Being able to swipe and see the topography of the green you're on seems a bit cheap though  :lol

Most everyone I golf with has some sort of GPS watch or app.

My swing and the way I hit my clubs are so unique to me that I really don't rely on exact yardage. I'm pretty old school. I need to know 'approximate' yardage and half the time I just 'eye' it. I know what each of my clubs will get me and can gauge just standing there what I need to hit. My golf game is literally:

- do my best to keep the tee shot in play
- concentrate really hard not to chunk my second shot three to ten foot in front of me. Basically, eliminate the give away strokes.
- hit my second shot somewhere near the green. If it goes on then great!
- pitch/chip onto the green and hope I have a 3'-10' putt for par. Worse case I walk away with a bogey

I really keep that approach and it's worked out great for me. The biggest change in my game last year and the couple rounds I've played this year is eliminating those dink and dunk shots where you just flub them. I've probably knocked 5 strokes off my scores just by getting solid contact and advancing the ball down towards the green.

Maybe one day I'll be at the point where I need to know 'exact' yardage. I'm not there yet though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: July 06, 2021, 04:45:03 PM »
Anybody watching "The Match?"
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #507 on: July 06, 2021, 06:18:14 PM »

Fuck no! Watching that would be like listening to a podcast. Just give me the highlights tomorrow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: July 06, 2021, 07:25:04 PM »

Fuck no! Watching that would be like listening to a podcast. Just give me the highlights tomorrow.

Tim, you big dummy.  The smack talk is amazing. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #509 on: July 07, 2021, 06:29:18 AM »

Tim, you big dummy.  The smack talk is amazing.
I was just gonna say, that's the only thing I needed to watch. :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPHMMwCRkC0&ab_channel=BleacherReport

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #510 on: July 07, 2021, 06:36:36 AM »
That was the best? Wow, that was cringeworthy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #511 on: July 07, 2021, 06:58:06 AM »

My swing and the way I hit my clubs are so unique to me that I really don't rely on exact yardage. I'm pretty old school. I need to know 'approximate' yardage and half the time I just 'eye' it. I know what each of my clubs will get me and can gauge just standing there what I need to hit. My golf game is literally:

- concentrate really hard not to chunk my second shot three to ten foot in front of me. Basically, eliminate the give away strokes.
- pitch/chip onto the green and hope I have a 3'-10' putt for par. Worse case I walk away with a bogey

I really keep that approach and it's worked out great for me. The biggest change in my game last year and the couple rounds I've played this year is eliminating those dink and dunk shots where you just flub them. I've probably knocked 5 strokes off my scores just by getting solid contact and advancing the ball down towards the green.

Maybe one day I'll be at the point where I need to know 'exact' yardage. I'm not there yet though.

I've played a couple rounds with the watch now and wanted to come back to this post because I approach the game basically exactly as you do. Though, as part of one of my side bets with my golfing buddy this summer is number of greens in regulation we hit, so I've been aiming for the pin rather than just the green a lot more this year.

Two things I wish I stated:

1) The course I play at the most often is called Tunxis. It's got two 18 hole courses and a 9 hole (so 45 total). It's a beautiful course and very well maintained, but for whatever fucking reason, they don't have yardage sticks around the course (200, 150, 100). They have markers on the ground in the fairways and on sprinkler heads, but there are many times in any given round where you can have a really hard time determining if you're 210 or 180 a way because you're not near a marker. That is a real pain in the ass because those are two very different shots for me. The watch has helped a ton on that course.

2) I'm very blessed where I live. I have 15+ courses within 30 minutes of my house. There are a lot of courses that I only play one to three times per season, and I don't know the layouts intimately like I do some of the other courses I play more frequently. That's where my favorite aspect of the watch comes in (below).

The ability to bring up this view with worth the price of the watch in my opinion, especially on courses you don't know well. Knowing distance to the green is really nice, but knowing the distance to hazards is far more valuable to me, and it's information that you can't really ascertain with what the course alone provides you (yardage markers). I like knowing that a trap or creek out in the fairway is 240 from me and not 210 or 220. If it's 220, I have to let up on my driver or use a 5 wood off the tee. It's it's 240 out, I know I can fire away. Not having to play those mind games with myself has seemed to helped my scores a lot. I feel like I don't have to play as safe as I typically would, and it gives me much easier attempts at getting on the green in regulation.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: July 07, 2021, 07:06:49 AM »
That was the best? Wow, that was cringeworthy.

When did you lose your funny bone Tim?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: July 07, 2021, 08:47:15 AM »

I've played a couple rounds with the watch now and wanted to come back to this post because I approach the game basically exactly as you do. Though, as part of one of my side bets with my golfing buddy this summer is number of greens in regulation we hit, so I've been aiming for the pin rather than just the green a lot more this year.

Two things I wish I stated:

1) The course I play at the most often is called Tunxis. It's got two 18 hole courses and a 9 hole (so 45 total). It's a beautiful course and very well maintained, but for whatever fucking reason, they don't have yardage sticks around the course (200, 150, 100). They have markers on the ground in the fairways and on sprinkler heads, but there are many times in any given round where you can have a really hard time determining if you're 210 or 180 a way because you're not near a marker. That is a real pain in the ass because those are two very different shots for me. The watch has helped a ton on that course.

2) I'm very blessed where I live. I have 15+ courses within 30 minutes of my house. There are a lot of courses that I only play one to three times per season, and I don't know the layouts intimately like I do some of the other courses I play more frequently. That's where my favorite aspect of the watch comes in (below).

The ability to bring up this view with worth the price of the watch in my opinion, especially on courses you don't know well. Knowing distance to the green is really nice, but knowing the distance to hazards is far more valuable to me, and it's information that you can't really ascertain with what the course alone provides you (yardage markers). I like knowing that a trap or creek out in the fairway is 240 from me and not 210 or 220. If it's 220, I have to let up on my driver or use a 5 wood off the tee. It's it's 240 out, I know I can fire away. Not having to play those mind games with myself has seemed to helped my scores a lot. I feel like I don't have to play as safe as I typically would, and it gives me much easier attempts at getting on the green in regulation.

**snip***

That is a cool feature to have on that watch for sure. And, I totally agree with you. The way I've been playing lately has been all about where I can hit my next shot to get to the right club that I know I can hit close to the pin or on the green. So, knowing about hazards is a big deal.  :lol  I may bring myself to grab a nice watch like that. But I also want another tattoo so I'll need to make a choice  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #514 on: July 07, 2021, 08:55:35 AM »

Had the privilege this afternoon of playing nine holes at one of the most beautiful courses I’ve ever walked on, Big Meadow at Black Butte Ranch in Sisters, OR. Was definitely challenging too. As the pictures suggest, anything offline was punished pretty hard. I found myself in jail 2-3 times and had to just chip conservatively out to the fairway. Played two balls as a single, and scored 41 and 43 with each respective one. Not gonna argue against that!

Are courses with that many trees rare out where you are? That place looks really nice and reminds me a lot of the courses I have out my way. I'm jealous those are all evergreens though. Mine are mostly maples and oaks, making the fall months a real PITA with all the leaves  :lol
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 09:02:01 AM by Chino »

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #515 on: July 09, 2021, 09:35:17 AM »

Are courses with that many trees rare out where you are? That place looks really nice and reminds me a lot of the courses I have out my way. I'm jealous those are all evergreens though. Mine are mostly maples and oaks, making the fall months a real PITA with all the leaves  :lol

In my area of Oregon, they’re definitely more uncommon. There’s courses here that have rows of trees lining the fairways, but probably only 1-2 within a 30 minute drive that are this forested. The valleys in this section of the state aren’t as treed in, and the areas that have that many are pretty mountainous and wouldn’t be feasible to place a course.

I imagine that the northwest corner of the state (say Eugene to Portland, and Bend/Sunriver to The Dalles) have more like this, mostly because the terrain lends more to this type of course. There’s also a lot more people in that area to utilize and fund such courses as well.

And I hear you about fall golfing. Trying to find your astray ProV1 in an endless blanket of tan and yellow isn’t exactly a great time.  :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #516 on: July 18, 2021, 01:47:46 PM »
Congrats to Morikawa.

2nd Major in 8 starts?..doubt he'll be able to keep up that pace, but at 24, maybe he surpaseses some of the recent names like Koepka, Spieth, Johnson.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #517 on: July 18, 2021, 03:59:24 PM »
Congrats to Morikawa.

2nd Major in 8 starts?..doubt he'll be able to keep up that pace, but at 24, maybe he surpaseses some of the recent names like Koepka, Spieth, Johnson.

He appears to have the right stuff. Composed and clutch. Not only 2nd major in 8 starts, but each has been on his first try.

Good to see Spieth make a crazy run there for awhile. It seems like he is legitimately back to at least close to where he was a few years ago. He's probably kicking himself about the two bogies at the end of the third round.

One cautionary thing about anointing Morikawa to anything too lofty too soon.....there have been guys that made big runs and then seemed to fall off rather dramatically. Spieth is one, despite his resurgence. Jason Day is another. Justin Thomas. Not saying those guys can't have similar runs again, but it does make you appreciate just how great Tiger and Nicklaus were to completely dominate their respective eras for so long.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #518 on: February 19, 2022, 01:44:33 PM »
Snappy Gilmore’s one-handed swing

Man what a positive dude he is, I love it! It's kinda interesting how much rotation he can utilize swinging with one arm, seems kinda looser than with two. I might try that actually.  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #519 on: February 22, 2022, 09:07:17 PM »
Can someone please talk me through the Phil Mickelson controversy regarding comments he made on Saudi Arabia? I've read a couple of articles, but I'm not quite sure what the issue is.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: February 23, 2022, 05:50:03 AM »
In a nutshell:

A bunch of professional players wanted to start their own golf league backed heavily by Saudi Arabia and lead by Greg Norman. The PGA tour (fearing an existential crisis some recon) put the hammer down and said Norfolk and Waypal. Phil Mickelson called the leadership of PGA tour "greedy", which many players though ironic because Phil has more money than Odin (little known fact that The All-Father is richer than the Christian god), and is known to be a tad stingy with his moolah.

I think...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline T-ski

« Reply #521 on: February 23, 2022, 06:08:18 AM »
Snappy Gilmore’s one-handed swing

Man what a positive dude he is, I love it! It's kinda interesting how much rotation he can utilize swinging with one arm, seems kinda looser than with two. I might try that actually.  :biggrin:

Drive for show, putt for dough.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #522 on: February 23, 2022, 06:38:36 AM »
In a nutshell:

A bunch of professional players wanted to start their own golf league backed heavily by Saudi Arabia and lead by Greg Norman. The PGA tour (fearing an existential crisis some recon) put the hammer down and said Norfolk and Waypal. Phil Mickelson called the leadership of PGA tour "greedy", which many players though ironic because Phil has more money than Odin (little known fact that The All-Father is richer than the Christian god), and is known to be a tad stingy with his moolah.

I think...

OK, but did I read something about Mickelson stepping away from golf for a bit to...relfect?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: February 23, 2022, 06:45:35 AM »
You may wish to read this article, Tim. I think it will answer most of your questions about Phil.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/22/golf/golfer-phil-mickelson-apology-super-league-comments-spt/index.html
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #524 on: February 23, 2022, 06:50:46 AM »
So he said disparaging things about Saudi Arabia? And he's losing sponsors because of it?