Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 58518 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #420 on: September 03, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »
Just got done with my round with my bro and Dad. Shot an 83. (41/42) I feel like I missed a chance to shoot in the 70’s for the first time ever because I missed a handful of makable putts. But the cool thing is I only lost one ball all day.  I yanked a tee shot dead left into the woods.....but still scrambled to make a bogey.

if you’d had told me last summer I’d be consistently scoring in the mid to low 80’s this summer I’d have called you a liar.....so I’ll be happy with the 83 all day long. Just getting greedy now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: September 03, 2020, 12:31:52 PM »
Great round, Gary. I'd take an 83 any day of the week!

I'm working through some swing changes right now so I'm not even keeping score. Had a decent morning with ball striking. The changes are intended to get me more consistent contact and tighter distribution and it's working, but because Mrs. P and I walk all 18 I get tired toward end of the round and my swing gets yippy. This morning, I had to pack it in midway through the 16th hole and just play advisor for her.

Still, beautiful morning and golfing with my honey is always a good time.

Looking forward to watching the Tour Championship in a little while.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: September 03, 2020, 12:36:13 PM »
If it's anywhere near the finish that Johnson and Rahm provided last weekend (which was even better than the bombs that Thomas and Morikawa provided earlier this year).....we're in for a treat.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: September 04, 2020, 02:57:49 PM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #424 on: September 04, 2020, 03:16:27 PM »
Saw that earlier, such a wonderful video.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #425 on: September 04, 2020, 09:10:07 PM »
Literally had just finished watching the video in Podaar’s link before coming into this thread. Just discovered that channel a couple weeks ago. Great content with a lot of fun and information involved. Didn’t take long for me to subscribe.

In driver land, the Ping G15 I bought on EBay to replace the driver I unwittingly destroyed arrived a week ago. Been to the range twice to get a feel for it. Fell in love with it the first time as it seemed even my mishits were still straight and where I aimed. And a pure hit just seemed to sail forever. Didn’t go as well the second time, but swinging my woods in general also just felt off. Irons are starting to come into a groove, though, so it all evens out.

Gmiller, have you ever been fitted for a driver/clubs? That might be a good place to start, as you’ll get a chance to try out a few different brands and shafts for clubs that suit your swing and style. Once you get a sense of what works for you, it might be worth it to see if you can find a used club along those lines that would be less cash forked over. I’ve never been fitted myself, though, so I’m not sure how much that would even cost in the first place...

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: September 04, 2020, 09:20:13 PM »
Gmiller, have you ever been fitted for a driver/clubs? That might be a good place to start, as you’ll get a chance to try out a few different brands and shafts for clubs that suit your swing and style. Once you get a sense of what works for you, it might be worth it to see if you can find a used club along those lines that would be less cash forked over. I’ve never been fitted myself, though, so I’m not sure how much that would even cost in the first place...

I have not. But, I turn 45 next January and I think a gift to myself is going to be a set of fitted...brand new clubs. I’ve had the same clubs since I was a sophomore in high school. I’d love to get fitted for clubs and have a professional watch me swing and customize the length and what not to my body.

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #427 on: September 04, 2020, 09:52:45 PM »

I have not. But, I turn 45 next January and I think a gift to myself is going to be a set of fitted...brand new clubs. I’ve had the same clubs since I was a sophomore in high school. I’d love to get fitted for clubs and have a professional watch me swing and customize the length and what not to my body.

Well, in that case, treat yoself! That would indeed be awesome. I’m just too cheap right now to pull the trigger on something like that. But if I was swinging the same set for 30 years, I’d probably bite the bullet too!

It’ll be interesting and fun to see if a fresh set of grooves on your irons would help your scoring through your chipping and approach shots.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: September 05, 2020, 07:32:50 AM »
Getting a club fitting is awesome, but be warned, some fitters can have a pretty aggressive sales pitch. If you're not feeling a connection, a genuine interest in you as a player, beg off and find a different fitter.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: September 05, 2020, 08:17:49 AM »
Great start to the Tour Championship yesterday. Nice clutch round for JT and Rory. Rahm and DJ trading long putts was thrilling. I'm hoping for a stellar round by Finau today.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #430 on: September 05, 2020, 10:53:50 AM »
I don't know how I missed the fact that we have a golf thread here.  :facepalm:

Anyway, I shot an 87 last Saturday, golfing with my brother in law. Felt pretty good. Going out again today in just a few minutes. Let's see if I can match that. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: September 06, 2020, 02:59:07 PM »
DJ has just been in a zone for a long while now.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: September 07, 2020, 11:02:39 AM »
88 this morning......with an F’n 7 on a par 3.  :censored    Went 44/44.....was happy to get into the 80’s at the course we played though cuz it is a tough one. VERY hard greens to putt on. Super fast and slick, not a straight putt out there.

Outside of that horrible par 3 and a couple other double bogeys I was pretty happy with how I played. Had a string of 6 pars in a row on the back after I had that horrible par three. Then doubled the last two holes.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #433 on: September 07, 2020, 11:34:58 AM »
88 this morning......with an F’n 7 on a par 3.  :censored    Went 44/44.....was happy to get into the 80’s at the course we played though cuz it is a tough one. VERY hard greens to putt on. Super fast and slick, not a straight putt out there.

Outside of that horrible par 3 and a couple other double bogeys I was pretty happy with how I played. Had a string of 6 pars in a row on the back after I had that horrible par three. Then doubled the last two holes.
You did much better than I did on Saturday. Shot a 92. Hit the ball into the water twice off the tee on a par 3... :lolpalm:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: September 17, 2020, 03:14:33 PM »
Who's signing up for PeacockTV to watch the U.S. Open?  :censored :censored

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: September 17, 2020, 03:51:32 PM »

I have it but until now I didn't even know that's the only source to watch it. That sucks

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: September 17, 2020, 04:39:58 PM »

I have it but until now I didn't even know that's the only source to watch it. That sucks

Just after I posted that, Gary, I discovered that the U.S. Open website was streaming featured groups with no sign in required. I got to watch Finau and D.J. for the rest of their round.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: September 17, 2020, 07:04:33 PM »
Did y’all see Zack Johnson’s putt today?  :omg:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: September 17, 2020, 08:17:07 PM »
Did y’all see Zack Johnson’s putt today?  :omg:

I was traveling all day. Going to get a chance to watch tomorrow. I’ll look it up.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: September 18, 2020, 06:25:13 AM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #441 on: September 18, 2020, 10:10:09 AM »
Wow  :tup

I'm gonna play a round tomorrow on a new course for me with some colleagues, looking forward to it. Apparently it's a pretty tough course with alot of slopes so that will be interesting.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #442 on: September 19, 2020, 05:58:44 PM »
Have to say i'm a bit ashamed how badly I am sometimes at keeping count on my strokes. Don't know what it is but I keep second guessing myself and have to recount several times.

It probably gets better over time but it annoys the hell out of me, it should be a simple thing.

I've never been good at math and numbers, that's probably one reason so I guess this is good practice for me then.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #443 on: September 19, 2020, 07:37:09 PM »
Have to say i'm a bit ashamed how badly I am sometimes at keeping count on my strokes. Don't know what it is but I keep second guessing myself and have to recount several times.

It probably gets better over time but it annoys the hell out of me, it should be a simple thing.

I've never been good at math and numbers, that's probably one reason so I guess this is good practice for me then.

My boss uses one of these

https://www.scoreband.net/products/scoreband-play?variant=28532112521

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #445 on: September 20, 2020, 03:18:41 AM »

My boss uses one of these

https://www.scoreband.net/products/scoreband-play?variant=28532112521
Hmm interesting, not surprised there's a gadget for it. Will check it out.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: September 20, 2020, 07:35:29 AM »
Noonan!

https://golf.com/news/caddyshack-star-michael-okeefe-wish-us-open/

Be the ball...... :D   (I remember him more now when he was a priest in Law & Order: Criminal Intent)

I hope they start the final round an hour earlier today.  If there is a playoff.......

Currently 14th out of 1100+ entries in a County golf contest.  Pick ten golfers, add up their Fed Ex points, .....top ten get a prize.  Won two free rounds of golf two years ago.  My other entry is at 683 :D

EDIT:  Well, they will finish an hour early.......meanwhile, the Ravens kickoff at 425  :angry:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 12:32:34 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: September 20, 2020, 06:11:19 PM »
Was hoping Wolff would pull it off. I’m not a big Dechambeau fan. He just rubs me the wrong way. But he can play.....that’s for sure.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: September 21, 2020, 06:08:31 AM »
I can understand not being a fan of Bryson, but I can't understand disliking him (not directed at you Gary). He's such a big nerd going about life being nothing but himself...and winning. I think it's admirable. I applaud him and laugh with glee at golf's elitists squirming at his success.

He is right, you know. Golf is a physics problem to be figured out. That's all any of us are doing when we play.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: September 21, 2020, 07:47:01 AM »
I can understand not being a fan of Bryson, but I can't understand disliking him (not directed at you Gary). He's such a big nerd going about life being nothing but himself...and winning. I think it's admirable. I applaud him and laugh with glee at golf's elitists squirming at his success.

He is right, you know. Golf is a physics problem to be figured out. That's all any of us are doing when we play.

No, I get it. I don't think he's a bad guy or anything. There's just some people/athletes etc etc that you just don't connect with. He's one of them for me. Clearly he's figured something out. But as Tiger has proven.....he may get a few good years out of his body/game.....but you just can't put that type of stress and pressure on your body and not expect it to break down. I predict the typical back and knee issues that accompany the furious swing that he has.

I don't get the fuss he's catching from the golf pro world though. My disconnection is just more on a personal level......not that I know him personally.....but like from his interviews and what not. Just doesn't draw me in to 'want' to pull for him.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #450 on: September 21, 2020, 10:37:19 AM »
I can't believe his drives.  The height, the distance, the accuracy.  then he seems calm in the short game and his putting.  More were nerved and unraveled by the greens.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: September 21, 2020, 04:22:32 PM »
I like him because of the tam o'shanter :smiley:

Actually, that does help, along with the fact that he is a pretty good interview and acts quite personable during them (unlike Dustin Johnson).  There is a bit of a heated temperament that comes out at times, which is rather refreshing, even though his analytics and such are rather 'robotic'. 

His idea of having all his irons the same length, along with the lie and bounce angles all being similar, is unique.  I've often though how much easier a 3-iron would be to hit if I had clubs like that.  Wish I could find a set......

Three Americans have won the US Amateur, an NCAA singles title, and the US Open:  Jack, Tiger, and now DeChambeau.  Pretty select company.

sidenote:  finished 18th in that County golf contest of picking ten players and tallying up their FedEx points. The winner had two players miss the cut, but was the only prize winner to pick Ousthasen. My other entry was 823rd. There's always The Masters....... ).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 04:28:00 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline T-ski

« Reply #452 on: November 10, 2020, 12:22:04 PM »
Check out this shot during practice at The Masters...

https://twitter.com/athleteswag/status/1326238930958741505?s=21
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #453 on: November 10, 2020, 12:39:30 PM »
Oh wow, that's insane! My colleague almost made that exact shot one time, almost. Except the hole in one part or getting it to the other side.... He made three bounces though.  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #454 on: November 11, 2020, 12:56:32 PM »
Was just coming in to post that.  What a f'n crazy shot.  i thought it happened today during the Par-3 tourney.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion