Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 57273 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #385 on: August 06, 2020, 07:10:27 AM »
Side note:

Great job on the weight loss Brian!  :tup   
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: August 06, 2020, 12:58:05 PM »
Side note:

Great job on the weight loss Brian!  :tup

Side note? It was your only note.  :lol

I don't know if it's a thing or not, but I think it's been my body physically changing. I've lost 38lbs in the last 6 weeks (65 overall) and there's been a rapid change in my shape. I can't help but wonder, with muscle memory being so critical in golf, if changing my dimensions has affected my swing at all. I've had a slice the last few rounds that is something I typically don't see, and I've been hitting a bunch of shots off the heel, which is something I pretty much never do. If anything, I usually hit it off the toe if I don't center the ball. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a thing, but I only can offer anecdotal evidence. I've had to rebuild my swing with fundamentals due to being 50 lbs lighter. I mean, our center mass has changed, so it only makes sense.

Oh, and I birdied my nemesis five par this morning. Otherwise, it was a pretty so-so round.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: August 06, 2020, 02:37:03 PM »
2020 PGA Championship.

I hate that there is no television coverage until 2:00 pm when more than half the field has finished their rounds. We didn't get any coverage of the top of the leader board from the morning including all my favorites. Plus, we have the crappy ESPN announcing crew.  >:(

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: August 06, 2020, 02:56:18 PM »
2020 PGA Championship.

I hate that there is no television coverage until 2:00 pm when more than half the field has finished their rounds. We didn't get any coverage of the top of the leader board from the morning including all my favorites. Plus, we have the crappy ESPN announcing crew.  >:(

Yeah.....it's pretty annoying. Near every player one would want to watch has finished.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #389 on: August 08, 2020, 03:21:27 AM »
As someone that's not a sportgeek in general and hasn't been active in any sport since I turned adult, golf seems to really resonate with me. I love that you see people of all ages enjoying the sport. Can't really think of any other sport that has such a wide range of ages but still being a serious and difficult sport to master, if you know what I mean.

It's also awesome in the sense that despite being the same game, every course is completely unique and different. They all have their little quirks and secrets. I'm fortunate to be surrounded by courses. I played last Friday and my buddy and I were trying to name how many courses we could drive to in less than a half hour and we got to 18 (definitely forgetting a few).
Yea that's also a big thing. Every course brings something new to the table. I love courses that has alot of nature elements buildt into it.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #390 on: August 08, 2020, 01:15:11 PM »
Stumbled upon Miguel Ángel Jiménez, what a character.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: August 10, 2020, 04:07:00 PM »
PGA Championship. That was one of the most entertaining final rounds in a Major in a long, long time. Usually, majors are characterized by the overnight leader battling the course to just hold his ground. This time we got great players shooting good scores to out do each other. Culminating in, perhaps, the best executed risk/reward golf shot I've ever seen. For the win!

Congrats to Collin Morikawa on a spectacular victory! I hope we get many more from the young man. Great golf.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: August 10, 2020, 04:21:20 PM »
PGA Championship. That was one of the most entertaining final rounds in a Major in a long, long time. Usually, majors are characterized by the overnight leader battling the course to just hold his ground. This time we got great players shooting good scores to out do each other. Culminating in, perhaps, the best executed risk/reward golf shot I've ever seen. For the win!

Congrats to Collin Morikawa on a spectacular victory! I hope we get many more from the young man. Great golf.

Agreed. The single only reason I got into golf was because of Tiger Woods and loved watching him dominate the sport......and the decision to 'go for' that shot to separate himself from the pack and then utterly hit the best freaking shot we've seen in years (since Tiger's hayday) was awesome to see.

The future of the sport is bright.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #393 on: August 11, 2020, 09:05:26 AM »
Plus that chip-in a couple holes later to give him the outright lead.  I didn't hardly watch any of the tourney, but coincidentally flipped to it a few times on Sunday, and one was right when he made that chip in.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #394 on: August 12, 2020, 12:54:37 PM »
I bought an old Wilson Killer Whale Driver for $8.  :lol I needed a driver and thought well, it's not like I would cry myself to sleep if it sucks. It actually works pretty great, atleast for me. I'm still a bit nervous using using a driver outside of the range but I just need play with it a bit more.

No offence, but you payed too much money.  :lol  Seriously though, depending on how old your Killer Whale is it might be okay.

We amateurs have a tendency to think, "I'm not good enough to play with [insert pricey technological gear] so I'll just use my granddad's ol' brassy." The truth is, we benefit from the latest and greatest more that the pros do. You think I'm wrong. Go to a golf simulator at your neighborhood shop. Take your driver and hit it alongside a Taylormade M5 or Calaway Epic Flash. I can guarantee you're trying to overcome the deficiencies of your driver compared to these. And those two models aren't even the latest top of the line.

Still, golf shouldn't be about how much you pay for your equipment. It's already too elitist as it is. All I can say is you'll benefit by buying the best equipment you can comfortably afford. Just like any other sport, I suppose.
So the whale is now retired and been replaced with a TaylorMade M1. Have to confess that even though I kind of knew it, the diffrence is night and day.  :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: August 12, 2020, 01:52:59 PM »
I bought an old Wilson Killer Whale Driver for $8.  :lol I needed a driver and thought well, it's not like I would cry myself to sleep if it sucks. It actually works pretty great, atleast for me. I'm still a bit nervous using using a driver outside of the range but I just need play with it a bit more.

No offence, but you payed too much money.  :lol  Seriously though, depending on how old your Killer Whale is it might be okay.

We amateurs have a tendency to think, "I'm not good enough to play with [insert pricey technological gear] so I'll just use my granddad's ol' brassy." The truth is, we benefit from the latest and greatest more that the pros do. You think I'm wrong. Go to a golf simulator at your neighborhood shop. Take your driver and hit it alongside a Taylormade M5 or Calaway Epic Flash. I can guarantee you're trying to overcome the deficiencies of your driver compared to these. And those two models aren't even the latest top of the line.

Still, golf shouldn't be about how much you pay for your equipment. It's already too elitist as it is. All I can say is you'll benefit by buying the best equipment you can comfortably afford. Just like any other sport, I suppose.
So the whale is now retired and been replaced with a TaylorMade M1. Have to confess that even though I kind of knew it, the diffrence is night and day.  :lol

Yeah, seeing is believing my friend. M1's is a huge step forward. Congrads.

I meant to mention, last week, that I bought some new golf shoes for hot weather. I was tired of my feet sweating in 90° heat.

Skechers Men's Torque Sport Fairway Relaxed Fit Spiked Golf Shoe

These are, by far, the most comfortable golf shoes I've ever worn. I've walked 54 holes with them so far, and had zero problems with my feet!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: August 12, 2020, 06:53:10 PM »
https://youtu.be/u9KrMQDU94g

Jack at 76 plays golf better than pretty much any athlete does anything at any age.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #397 on: August 12, 2020, 11:01:43 PM »

Yeah, seeing is believing my friend. M1's is a huge step forward. Congrads.
Thx, now I can work on my driving properly I feel. I found a great and simple drill where you hit the ball in full swing but start very very light and keep hitting it harder and harder with the goal to not advance until you've hit it straight 3 times in a row.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: August 13, 2020, 06:57:29 AM »
I've been enjoying this thread, and have finally made it out three times in the past two weeks.  85, 90, and 88 ....and all rounds should have been five strokes lower, but I still manage to do a few shots a round where I look like I've never touched a club before in my life.   >:(  Very pleased, for the most part, with my changes on the tee, contact with my irons, and short game.  Except when I :censored and  :censored

Quick comment on TV broadcasts:  what's with all the zoom in 'below the knee putts'?  I don't get to see any body language, I get a better 'picture' when not zoomed in, and I have a 58" flat screen.  I swear, if they'd been doing this eons ago, they'd have shifted the camera, we'd see shoes, a ball, the putter head, and we'd never have seen Payne Stewart's entire reaction at the '99 US Open

(apologies for my First World rant)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 01:03:11 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: August 13, 2020, 09:42:10 AM »
I've been enjoying this thread, and have finally made it out three times in the past two weeks.  85, 90, and 88 ....and all rounds should have been five strokes lower, but I still manage to do a few shots a round where I look like I've never touched a club before in my life.   >:(  Very pleased, for the most part, with my changes on the tee, contact with my irons, and short game.  Except when I :censored and  :censored

:lol    Totally understandable there. I mentioned earlier somewhere in the thread that the biggest change I've had in my game this past few months was eliminating a lot of the 'wasted' strokes.....the ones where you dink or duff a shot anywhere from three to ten foot in front of you. I used to do that at least four or five times a round. I've made it several rounds this year without having any of those. It's such a "simple" way to shave 4 or 5 strokes from you score. Just make solid contact.

I haven't played a whole lot lately because I'm still on furlough but with the unemployment bump from the Feds drying up I've been more conscience of how I'm spending my $$$ 

I do have a rain check for (9) holes at a course I need to use here quickly though. May try to do that in the next few days.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: August 13, 2020, 11:12:26 AM »
I had one of those rounds this morning. You know, first tee shot directly into the sun...never found. Finish the round with your last ball after starting with three sleeves in the bag.  >:( :censored

When I lifted my ball from the 18th cup, I stood up and chucked it out into the lake. Mrs. P gave me a withering look and shook her head.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #401 on: August 19, 2020, 05:12:53 AM »
I had the most disappointingly excellent round of my life last night. I've been in a funk the last three rounds or so, but last night everything came together. I ended up shooting a 40. I was only 3 over after 7, but got a double on the 8th (a par 3). I've never broke 40. Actually, I think my best round up until last night was a 42. I couldn't hit a bad shot. I wish I knew what I did differently  :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: August 19, 2020, 05:42:02 AM »
Yeah, Brian, it's a mystery. I'm glad you had fun...that's what brings us back.

I had a  2-over, 38 for 9 holes a few years ago. That's probably the best I've shot since high-school. Then again, I proceeded to think I had to live up to that score, got nervous,  and ended up tanking the back 9 of that same round with a 50. Yes, 12 worse than the front, and a mediocre aggregate of 88. That's golf!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: August 19, 2020, 09:03:06 AM »
Know that feeling all too well Brian. Like Gregg said.....that's what brings us back though. I did something similar last week when I played 9. I ended up shooting a 45 which isn't all that impressive....but I double bogeyed holes 8,9. Hit OB on both holes and couldn't scramble for a par or bogey on either. Up until that point I was happy with how I was playing.

Woke up this morning at 6:00 to go play 18 on my own but decided to crawl back into bed  :lol  These playoff hockey games have been scheduled for late times....and tonight the Blues play at 9:30 so I know I'll be up until midnight or so....and then I'm golfing with the neighbors tomorrow morning. Tee time is 6:55...so I decided to get some sleep while I could and save some $$$

I really wish there was a feasible way we could play a round together. Maybe 'someday' we could have a destination meetup for a few days and get a few rounds in? Who knows. I'm sure it'd be a blast but the logistics and timing behind an idea like that would have to line up perfectly for everyone.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #404 on: August 19, 2020, 09:09:43 AM »
I'd love a DTF vacation. Get a dozen of us and just rent out a house for 4 or 5 days somewhere. Ten years ago or so, eight of us (non-DTF people) rented a house in Myrtle Beach. It could sleep eighteen and only cost $1800 for the week. We had three balconies, two of which you could see the ocean from.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: August 19, 2020, 09:32:44 AM »
I'd love a DTF vacation. Get a dozen of us and just rent out a house for 4 or 5 days somewhere. Ten years ago or so, eight of us (non-DTF people) rented a house in Myrtle Beach. It could sleep eighteen and only cost $1800 for the week. We had three balconies, two of which you could see the ocean from.

When we eventually get the Corona under control I'd be down for looking into something like this. I'd imagine there are plenty of places and options to choose from that'd be acceptable on price and location.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: August 20, 2020, 07:16:08 PM »
82 today.....with three double bogeys. (Three penalty stroke holes of course) 39/43.  Chipping and putting still working well for me but blew another chance to get into the 70’s for the first time. Playing tomorrow afternoon with my brother so we will see how that round goes.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #407 on: August 21, 2020, 09:21:13 AM »

When we eventually get the Corona under control I'd be down for looking into something like this. I'd imagine there are plenty of places and options to choose from that'd be acceptable on price and location.
I might consider crossing the Atlantic if we do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0NDVqGloX8

:lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: August 21, 2020, 09:39:46 AM »

I might consider crossing the Atlantic if we do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0NDVqGloX8

:lol

:lol   Sure......why not?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: August 21, 2020, 01:53:49 PM »
Wow, DJ is 11 under through 11 holes!

Edit: And he finishes at 11 under! If there was such a thing as a disappointing 60, he's done it.  :lol
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 03:31:41 PM by Podaar »

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #410 on: August 22, 2020, 02:25:35 PM »
Finally got the chance to hit the driving range this morning to swing a club for the first time since October. Sweet. Swing initially was how you’d expect for a ten month layoff. But with some repetition and swing self-analysis, started grooving it again. Not every shot, but started getting some decent impact again with all clubs.

And then with around five balls left in the bucket, I do this:

Accidentally stood too close to my bag while swinging my 3 wood, and caught my driver on the downswing. Initially thought I only broke the shaft since the club head was still in the headcover and I couldn’t see the full extent of the impact, but then I took it out and found it like this. Stupid. :facepalm:

So now I’m in the market for a new club.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: August 22, 2020, 02:42:26 PM »
Aw man......that’s a bummer. But on the bright side you get to buy a new club.   :tup

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2020, 11:10:21 AM »
Finally got the chance to hit the driving range this morning to swing a club for the first time since October. Sweet. Swing initially was how you’d expect for a ten month layoff. But with some repetition and swing self-analysis, started grooving it again. Not every shot, but started getting some decent impact again with all clubs.

And then with around five balls left in the bucket, I do this:

*snip*

Accidentally stood too close to my bag while swinging my 3 wood, and caught my driver on the downswing. Initially thought I only broke the shaft since the club head was still in the headcover and I couldn’t see the full extent of the impact, but then I took it out and found it like this. Stupid. :facepalm:

So now I’m in the market for a new club.

Holy crap. I've never seen anything like that!   

I'm pretty bummed today. The guy I get out with one or two times a week had a fall while hiking over the weekend and he did a lot of damage to his leg. His wife is due the third week of September, so he's done for the season.

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #413 on: August 26, 2020, 01:10:58 PM »
Aw man......that’s a bummer. But on the bright side you get to buy a new club.   :tup

Already got a used Ping 9 degree G15 on the way for less than $100.  Looking forward to trying it out.  The biggest bummer in all of this is that Si3 was my driver for the past 15 years, and it's been a pretty consistent beast for me during that time, especially the past few years.  Now I have to relearn a whole different club, and the transition from a 350cc to 460cc size head is going to be interesting to say the least.  But like I said, I'm looking forward to trying the new one out and finally getting with the times.

I'm pretty bummed today. The guy I get out with one or two times a week had a fall while hiking over the weekend and he did a lot of damage to his leg. His wife is due the third week of September, so he's done for the season.

That sucks!  Hopefully no fractures or serious ligamentous damage.  Hope he can recover fairly quickly!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: September 02, 2020, 06:33:36 AM »
Mrs. P wanted me to ask y'all if any of you have or have tried Taylormade M5 or M6 drivers. She's thinking it's time to replace her eight year old Burner and would like an opinion of someone who uses these models.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #415 on: September 02, 2020, 06:44:09 AM »
Mrs. P wanted me to ask y'all if any of you have or have tried Taylormade M5 or M6 drivers. She's thinking it's time to replace her eight year old Burner and would like an opinion of someone who uses these models.

I used a Taylormade R540 for six years and I'm currently playing an R7. I've never had any complaints.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #416 on: September 02, 2020, 07:20:29 AM »
As you know I just started again so my experience with diffrent Drivers is not much. However i've had a M1 for about a month now and I love it, so esay to play with imo. Keep in mind that I went from a 90s Wilson Killer Whale to a M1....  :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: September 02, 2020, 07:53:10 AM »

I used a Taylormade R540 for six years and I'm currently playing an R7. I've never had any complaints.

Aren't R7's irons?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #418 on: September 02, 2020, 07:57:14 AM »

Aren't R7's irons?

There's probably an associated iron set, but I have the stand alone driver. Companies seem to do that a lot. For example, I was using Callaway's Big Berthas for a while, both in driver and iron form.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: September 02, 2020, 08:46:32 AM »

Wish I could help Gregg.....I've never used a Taylormade driver. In fact, the past 3 rounds I've played I stopped using the used Nike VR Pro Ltd Edition 8.5 degree Driver that I had bought earlier this year. The 8.5 degree was just too hard to hit consistently. I was hitting way too many drives OB. I went back to a 10.5 degree. I'm more used to that loft and I've been managing my drives better. Using a Calloway El Diablo driver that came with a set I bought for my middle son.

I honestly need to spend the $$ on a nice driver. I'm the king of the Craigslist buy when it comes to finding drivers. I've been through a half dozen drivers I've picked up for $30-40 here and there.....just searching for the right fit. I need to buck up and bite the bullet and buy a nice, new driver that suites me. 

Playing tomorrow morning with one of my brothers and my dad.