Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 58581 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #350 on: July 17, 2020, 05:05:20 PM »
84 is a great game!

Not gonna lie or exaggerate.....my short game has been on point the past few rounds. My game plan if just focusing on getting ‘near’ or maybe even in the green in two then having a chip and a putt for par has been working. Been chipping pretty good....leaving myself pretty make able par putts with the worse case being a bogey which is pretty much what I am. A bogey golfer.

I know this isn’t a huge revelation and it’s easier said than done and that is.....it’s amazing how much your score can improve when you’re not taking penalty shots. No duh, right?

But I used to just grip and rip and hit a ton of second shots out of bounds to where now I take a more controlled swing with a club I’m confident with and just try to get in the vicinity of a little chip for my third shot....make a good chip then hit the par putt. Not a groundbreaking strategy but it’s still hard to do  :lol

I’d have to say my game has improved because of my approach to my second shots.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #351 on: July 20, 2020, 05:58:44 AM »
Brian,

Are you noticing any other symptoms with your irons? Ball flight too high, too low, hook, slice? If not, your probably casting your hands and releasing the club head too early.

Try this simple test. Turn you 4 iron upside down, grip it right below the head and take a normal swing with it. Really pretend you're doing it like you are at the course. Where do you hear the "wooosh"? It should be at the impact spot and extending through and after. If you hear it during your downswing and prior to the impact zone, you've expended all your energy prior to hitting the ball and robbed your swing of club head speed.

Seeing and instructor is the best way to fix this problem, but if you go to the range with a buddy, an iPad, and some beers. Film a few swing, watch them in slow-mo, the try to correct the problem. Rinse and repeat.

For me (and this isn't advise for you) I try to remember to keep my grip soft and to really extend my arms out and toward the target and not stop. A full follow-through is key for me to keep the "woosh" at the correct point.

If you watch people on the internet they'll harp on shaft lean and and downswing lag--which are both great for pro players--but those are difficult concepts for us regular folks to incorporate into our swings.

I hope you get it resolved. Not knowing what club to grab at what distance is not a recipe for stress-free golf.  :biggrin:

Yeah, my trajectory has changed. I'm getting far more height with my irons than I ever have, which lends to my theory that the ball might be a bit too far up in my stance. I'm pretty sure my grip is good. I'm making good contact on the ball and I hit it straight, I'm not just getting the distance.

I'm playing today after work. I visited my parents for dinner last night and took my dad's bag while I was there. I'm going to give his irons a try. I'm currently playing with a set of Callaway Big Berthas, and the shafts have some flex to them. I've been exercising a lot lately, and I'm wondering if I've gotten a little stronger and it's just enough to start opening the club face on downswing just because of the shaft bending. My dad's irons are much stiffer, so I'm going to see if that helps.

Keep us posted.

In my experience shaft flex doesn't make much difference other than feel. We're all different though. Hope it helps!

So last Friday's round was a shit show. The new clubs didn't help, but it wasn't all bad. Firstly, I've been battling tendinitis for the last week or so in my right elbow, and it took a three or four holes (and a beer or two) to get around that mentally. It was hurting really bad. I probably shouldn't have even been swinging at all, but I needed to get out of the house. I scored a 10 on the first hole without any hazards  :lol  I also had a lot of trouble hitting the greens, and that was 100% due to the new irons. I was sailing over everything. Where I would typically struggle as of late to reach with an 8 iron, I was carrying well past the green and into the woods with the same club. I also noticed a lot more back spin when I would land an iron in a good spot. I can't definitively say my irons have been the issue, but it's certainly appearing that way. That too made it hard to play because even when I was hitting my irons short, I was still in control and had confidence in where I'd be hitting them. On Friday, I had zero confidence. On pretty much every iron shot, especially the par 3s, I was getting in my own head a lot. Just one of those days. I expect my next round to be better now that I have a better handle on those new clubs.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: July 20, 2020, 06:25:28 AM »
Brian.....that’s how I felt earlier this year when I bought those progressive hybrids. Zero confidence with any of my swings and had no idea how to gauge distance with them. Gave up on them after three rounds and went back to my old set.

I’d still like to get a new set but of traditional clubs and not the ones I tried out.

Good luck on your next round. At least it sounds like you got distance back

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: July 20, 2020, 06:42:38 AM »
Brian,

It sounds like a trip to the driving range with a pencil and pad of paper is in order.  :)   I think, if I were in your situation, I'd want to dial in club ranges and make a log book of them prior to hitting the course. That confidence you mention is a huge factor! You'll get it sorted.

I had no soreness this weekend after my Thursday round, so I've booked two rounds this week. I'm still going to ride though. I not quite feeling confident enough in my recovery to be walking and golfing.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #354 on: July 20, 2020, 08:28:58 AM »
Just a tip but i've been following Rick Shiels alot both on FB and YT and he has alot of great tips for everything golf. His latest drill was hitting 10 balls with a wedge hitting each ball further than the last.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: July 20, 2020, 10:54:31 AM »
Just a tip but i've been following Rick Shiels alot both on FB and YT and he has alot of great tips for everything golf. His latest drill was hitting 10 balls with a wedge hitting each ball further than the last.

I watch him a lot as well. Real practical tips that I know have helped me. Especially one video where he mentioned left hand alignment on the club for players who ‘slice’ their drive. I used his tip and in large part it has eliminated the exaggerated slice from my game and it plays more now like a slow fade which is manageable.

Side note: my two sons had a golf tourney this morning and I scavenged (83) balls while watching! There were two par 5’s on this course that had a dry creek bed that runs down the left hand side of the hole. I popped in the last 150 yards or so on both holes and walked it to the green. Just on those two holes I found (71) balls......the other dozen I found just here and there.

I’ll take all I can get with two beginner golfers in t he house now (and one who still likes to hit OB a few times a round 😂)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #356 on: July 20, 2020, 10:57:32 AM »
My buddy and I used to do that all the time in our teens. We'd wait until fall and then raid as many holes as we could. We'd spend pretty much the whole day walking the course via the woods and practically fill up a backpack. We'd save all the good ones and then hit the rest into a nearby lake. There's something really fun about teeing off into a body of water. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #357 on: July 20, 2020, 12:39:52 PM »

I watch him a lot as well. Real practical tips that I know have helped me. Especially one video where he mentioned left hand alignment on the club for players who ‘slice’ their drive. I used his tip and in large part it has eliminated the exaggerated slice from my game and it plays more now like a slow fade which is manageable.
Yea that video helped me alot too although I still have to practice more with my driver. I actually didn't use it at all my last round because I felt not secure enough with it. Used my Hybrid or fairwaywood instead which worked just fine.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: July 20, 2020, 01:40:54 PM »
Yeah, Shielsy is highly entertaining and a useful source for fundamentals. You can learn quite a bit just by watching the care in which he sets up for every swing. I'm a fan!

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #359 on: July 21, 2020, 08:34:22 AM »
Been playing alot lately and i've felt pretty good with my swing with my irons. However today something was just off, I kept slicing and hitting weird for some reason so I tried to focus a bit more and not "think" to much on how I should swing. Usually when I do that it gets a bit better. One thing i've noticed and i've talked to my instructor about it is that for some reason it helps me alot to look just infront of the ball when i'm swinging instead of looking at the backedge where my club is. Whenever I do that I seem to hit the ball better. Is that a thing or is that just a trick in my head or something?. My instructor just said that sometimes you find things that help you but she didn't explain if that was a common thing or why that helped me, I didn't ask further about it I should say.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: July 21, 2020, 09:35:35 AM »
My instructor just said that sometimes you find things that help you but she didn't explain if that was a common thing or why that helped me, I didn't ask further about it I should say.

Does she stand behind you and grab your arms and simulate your swing for you  :zydar:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #361 on: July 21, 2020, 12:34:27 PM »
My instructor just said that sometimes you find things that help you but she didn't explain if that was a common thing or why that helped me, I didn't ask further about it I should say.

Does she stand behind you and grab your arms and simulate your swing for you  :zydar:
More like this:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #362 on: July 21, 2020, 12:41:54 PM »
I'd give up my 401K in exchange for private lessons with Paige Spiranac

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: July 21, 2020, 01:14:52 PM »
One thing i've noticed and i've talked to my instructor about it is that for some reason it helps me alot to look just infront of the ball when i'm swinging instead of looking at the backedge where my club is. Whenever I do that I seem to hit the ball better. Is that a thing or is that just a trick in my head or something?.

It's a thing. I've had many a club pro recommend imagining a quarter sitting in front of the ball (opposite the club head) and hit the quarter. It helps with weight transfer and promotes hitting the ball prior to hitting the ground.

I shot a 4 over 40 on the front nine this morning but then proceeded to shoot a 13 over 49 on the back. Net 89. 8 of those strokes came on two holes with snowmen. All in all, a pretty good ball striking day but I kinda pulled my repaired hernia spot when I thinned a pitching wedge out of a waste-bunker. I hope the soreness goes away quickly.

Highlight of the day...rolled in a tough 45 foot birdie putt on 18!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 01:25:32 PM by Podaar »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #364 on: July 21, 2020, 01:29:19 PM »
One thing i've noticed and i've talked to my instructor about it is that for some reason it helps me alot to look just infront of the ball when i'm swinging instead of looking at the backedge where my club is. Whenever I do that I seem to hit the ball better. Is that a thing or is that just a trick in my head or something?.

It's a thing. I've had many a club pro recommend imagining a quarter sitting in front of the ball (opposite the club head) and hit the quarter. It helps with weight transfer and promotes hitting the ball prior to hitting the ground.
Yea I thought it had something to do with hitting the ball first. I took some inspiration from Ricks Shiels 3rd drill but instead of moving the ball I just aimed infront of the ball which apparently helped me.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: July 21, 2020, 04:19:03 PM »
Yea I thought it had something to do with hitting the ball first. I took some inspiration from Ricks Shiels 3rd drill but instead of moving the ball I just aimed infront of the ball which apparently helped me.

Good drill from Shielsy there. One thing he fails to mention, and it's important, is when he takes the full swing (not when he's demonstrating the move slowly) he's keeping his head in the original address position even though his sternum is advancing over his left leg. This motion tilts his left shoulder higher than his right shoulder at impact helping him keep his balance during follow through. I could totally see someone trying to duplicate this move and falling over forward.

Just a thought.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: July 22, 2020, 09:23:45 AM »
(82) this morning......39/43   Almost made it the whole round playing with one ball but decided to hit my drive on the 17th hole   >:(    So close.

Leaving for vacation Friday which usually means a couple rounds of golf but not this year. We’re going to limit our exposure while on vacation and just hang at the Air BnB house.....it’s on a private lake so we will have plenty to do but bummed we won’t be getting a couple rounds in.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #367 on: July 22, 2020, 09:58:35 AM »

Good drill from Shielsy there. One thing he fails to mention, and it's important, is when he takes the full swing (not when he's demonstrating the move slowly) he's keeping his head in the original address position even though his sternum is advancing over his left leg. This motion tilts his left shoulder higher than his right shoulder at impact helping him keep his balance during follow through. I could totally see someone trying to duplicate this move and falling over forward.

Just a thought.
Yea that's true, good point.

I had my 4th lesson today practicing bunker. Got some great tips for various situations like if the ball ends up close to a higher edge of the bunker. Alot of things i've never thought about. I probably had some luck but in general if I had the correct position and stance it was pretty easy to get out of the bunker, however aiming and getting it closer to the hole was of course a bit trickier.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: July 22, 2020, 10:08:26 AM »
Congrats on a great round, Gary!

Question for your guys. Do ya'll pretty much play the same course(s) week in week out? How difficult would you say your favorite course is?

Mrs. P and I have "player's passes" to a course that has 54 holes. They mix up the nines to give a variety but since we play there twice a week, we know the tracks very well. The reason we play there so much is cost, primarily. We each buy the passes at the beginning of the season for $200 each. From then on, we only pay $9.00 each to walk 18 holes or $18.00 each to ride. We enjoy it, but I have to wonder if we'd have a easier time scoring if we played easier tracks. 27 of these holes are quite difficult with a lot of forced carries off the tee or on approach (better than half of the holes) and every hole has lateral hazards and/or out of bounds. Add in bunkers and Johnny Miller's (the course designer) penchant for fast greens with undulations and you have a recipe for a rough round. Granted, it's made us better golfers, but still... :lol

Edit: The slope rating of the course(s) we play are 139 on average (depending on the mix of nines). Our old home course was 120, by comparison.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 10:15:41 AM by Podaar »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: July 22, 2020, 10:29:28 AM »
I play the same 5/6 courses pretty much due to cost. They’re in the $35-40 round range. As far as difficulty...a couple of them are in the 5800-6200 yard range......the one I played today and the other day when I shot in the low 80’s is only 5100 yards from the tips. Fairly short course.....longest par 3 is 150 yards and all the Par 5’s are reachable in two for me and that’s not very common. I mean, you still have to hit the shots and not duff chips and make some putts on these ‘Easy’ courses.....so I’ll take an 82 any day of the week  :lol

If I had to rate the course I played today as far as difficulty I’d say 2.5/5......very forgiving. The other ones I play demand better shots so they’re probably in the 3.5/5 range of difficulty

On occasion.....like a couple weeks ago.....I’ll play with my buddies who are near scratch golfers and they play the $70-100 price range courses and play the tips that are usually WAY up there in yardage. I held my own then and shot in the low 90’s but I’m not a ‘play from the tips’ golfer. I’m an average golfer who can throw a couple good rounds in there every now and then.

This year has been the most I’ve golfed in my life. I’m typically a 4 or 5 rounds a year golfer. Due to my furlough though it’s given me the chance to get out at least once a week which has helped me really dial my game in.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: July 22, 2020, 10:31:58 AM »
Side note also is I’ve been playing a lot with my neighbors who just started golfing so they’re not interested in the really hard courses yet. Even this morning I brought up a course that’s a bit more
Challenging and it was shot down.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #371 on: July 24, 2020, 08:58:05 AM »
Gregg. Those prices are killer! An adult resident season pass to the course I grew up on costs $900 up front. $3 for 9, $4 for 18, and a cart is $22 or $32 depending on how many holes you're playing.

My friends and I rotate between 5 courses. We try and play at least one of them a week. My favorite course (where we're playing tonight) is also the easiest. It's a 9 hole par 3, but it's got stadium lights and they allow coolers on the course. We have an 8:35pm tee time  :lol Sometimes I even debate calling it a course, but it's a lot of fun, even if you're sucking.

Not counting the par 3 course, I'd say my favorite course (Crestbrook) is the hardest, maybe the second hardest. I play it really well though because it's where I grew up. I must have played that course 200 times by the time I was 16 (literally). The parents of the kids in town used to buy us junior season passes for like $160, and they'd drop us off every morning. It was cheaper than summer camp and was two miles from their house. I spent summer after summer there, often times playing 27+ holes a day, so I know every nook and cranny of that course. The greens are a nightmare to a first timer, but I know them like the back of my hand.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 10:13:11 AM by Chino »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: July 25, 2020, 09:16:34 AM »
I'm actually a little scared to venture into this thread.  After reading a couple pages I feel really umm...lacking comparatively.   I haven't really played  in over 11 years, since I met my wife, maybe 3 rounds total.  When I first met her she said she golfed.  We went to the range and she could not make contact with the ball.  When she did it usually resulted in a 30-40 yd worm burner.  SO!  we got her some lessons, but they didn't really help much.  From that point forward I haven't really played.  I feel a little guilty because it was supposed to be one of the things we were to do together which is why I've held out hope.  Now though I think I've accepted the fact that she doesn't really have the desire to play.

Prior to meeting her I was a  mid 90's hacker.  I think my best round was a 87.  I've really been thinking about getting back out there, having come to the realization it will have to be without her.  I'm also debating taking lessons.  Not sure how much it will help, seeing my bad habits are pretty well ingrained  :lol.  I'm also curios to see how I physically hold up being in the later half of my 50's and not as good of shape as I was 11 years ago. Any advice would be appreciated.  Sounds like we have some pretty good golfers here! (Besides me of course)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #373 on: July 25, 2020, 10:14:15 AM »
I'm actually a little scared to venture into this thread.  After reading a couple pages I feel really umm...lacking comparatively.   I haven't really played  in over 11 years, since I met my wife, maybe 3 rounds total.  When I first met her she said she golfed.  We went to the range and she could not make contact with the ball.  When she did it usually resulted in a 30-40 yd worm burner.  SO!  we got her some lessons, but they didn't really help much.  From that point forward I haven't really played.  I feel a little guilty because it was supposed to be one of the things we were to do together which is why I've held out hope.  Now though I think I've accepted the fact that she doesn't really have the desire to play.

Prior to meeting her I was a  mid 90's hacker.  I think my best round was a 87.  I've really been thinking about getting back out there, having come to the realization it will have to be without her.  I'm also debating taking lessons.  Not sure how much it will help, seeing my bad habits are pretty well ingrained  :lol.  I'm also curios to see how I physically hold up being in the later half of my 50's and not as good of shape as I was 11 years ago. Any advice would be appreciated.  Sounds like we have some pretty good golfers here! (Besides me of course)
I mean I can only speak from my point of view but before I started playing this summer I hadn't played seriously for atleast 20 years. Taking lessons has helped me so much with getting into shape again. To just get some feedback on your swing and also if it's possible getting to see your swing being analysed on a screen is very helpful. So I can highly recommend taking some lessons . Then again having a friend or someone taking a look at your swing and getting feedback that way can also be handy. :)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: July 25, 2020, 10:33:40 PM »
Here's a start
https://www.amazon.com/Ben-Hogans-Five-Lessons-Fundamentals/dp/0671612972

It helps with grip, stance, pressure points, etc.  Everyone is different, and not everything in here will work for you.  But.... a lot of it will.  I've skimmed through parts of it every spring for decades for little reminders. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: July 26, 2020, 07:25:28 AM »

I mean I can only speak from my point of view but before I started playing this summer I hadn't played seriously for atleast 20 years. Taking lessons has helped me so much with getting into shape again. To just get some feedback on your swing and also if it's possible getting to see your swing being analysed on a screen is very helpful. So I can highly recommend taking some lessons . Then again having a friend or someone taking a look at your swing and getting feedback that way can also be handy. :)
I think the challenge will be, with taking lessons, is to find the right teacher for me.  Like I mentioned, I have some nasty habits, being self taught.  So I need someone to get me focused on breaking them down and then re-building the right skillset.

Here's a start
https://www.amazon.com/Ben-Hogans-Five-Lessons-Fundamentals/dp/0671612972

It helps with grip, stance, pressure points, etc.  Everyone is different, and not everything in here will work for you.  But.... a lot of it will.  I've skimmed through parts of it every spring for decades for little reminders.
1985!  We're going Old School!!!  Hey, it has great reviews and maybe it's a case of K.I.S.S. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #376 on: July 26, 2020, 09:44:37 AM »

I think the challenge will be, with taking lessons, is to find the right teacher for me.  Like I mentioned, I have some nasty habits, being self taught.  So I need someone to get me focused on breaking them down and then re-building the right skillset.
I hear you, I took a course for beginners to get a fresh start and learn the fundamentals again in order to know what I had to work on basically and improve from that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: July 26, 2020, 09:53:03 AM »
I’ve never been good at listening to instruction on my swing and then implementing it. I’ll try different foot positions or hand grips.....ball positions.....but anything to do with tucking an elbow or rotating this or that I just can’t do.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #378 on: August 05, 2020, 02:44:57 AM »
Played my 6th round yesterday and the last one was my first playing 18 holes. My home club is a 9 hole which I actually think is nice. I'm kinda happy with my playing overall but I still have major problems with my putting.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: August 05, 2020, 05:51:58 AM »
Yeah, putting is such a personal thing. No advise here except to practice.

I haven't reported in recently, but I've been consistently in the low 90's the past couple weeks. I'll have a nine of +4 or 5, and feel good about it, only to have the next nine of +13 or more. No telling if it will be the front or the back. I have yet to put a complete round together, but I'm really enjoying being out there again. I need to schedule some days for just practicing short game. I have no confidence of how far away the ground is when I'm 50 yards or less from the hole.

Walking has been fine, but my groin (surgical area) does get a bit sore around the 14th hole or so. I'm not brave enough to try a real hilly course yet.

I'm thinking of scheduling a fitting to see if my clubs are still right for me. We'll see.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #380 on: August 05, 2020, 09:51:43 AM »
Yeah, putting is such a personal thing. No advise here except to practice.
That's ok, i've seen a few videos with some practice tips. Will try that out. I also bought a new putter yesterday on my way home after the round. Was a bit annoyed of my game but honestly the putter I have was really old so that was intended to be my next upgrade anyway however that was planned much later.  :blush

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: August 05, 2020, 04:41:43 PM »
Played (9) with my oldest this evening.....shot a 42. First time swinging in two weeks so I was happy. 4 Pars, 4 bogeys and a double. Missed a couple putts on those bogeys I should have made. When I say should have I mean the guys that consistently score real low make the putts I missed tonight. Light breaking 10-15 foot putts that aren’t all that hard to read. I didn’t miss them by much but that’s the game isn’t it?

My oldest hit well and made solid contact it’s just he’s still all over the place. Lots of OB, but he’s still learning and he’s having fun so it’s all good. It was nice being out there just me and him.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: August 06, 2020, 04:34:32 AM »
My oldest hit well and made solid contact it’s just he’s still all over the place. Lots of OB, but he’s still learning and he’s having fun so it’s all good. It was nice being out there just me and him.

Whether he takes to the sport or not, he'll always remember it too, Gary.

I know for a fact that I wouldn't have my love of golf if it weren't for good times with (primarily) my Grandpa and another father figure. Golf is a very humbling experience and seeing how grown men deal with that, have a good time, get some exercise, greet new people (folks you're paired with), manage mutual respect, and to extend and expect etiquette was a great learning experience in my youth. Golf is a bit more of a rough and tumble sport now than in the late 60's early 70's (and is much better for it) but some of the decorum and respect still remain. The sport itself is mentally challenging enough that I think it benefits any and all who want to play.

I'm having a bit of coffee while perusing DTF. I'll be heading out to the course in an hour and a half. It's going to be near 100° today, so we've got to get out early.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #383 on: August 06, 2020, 06:34:53 AM »
As someone that's not a sportgeek in general and hasn't been active in any sport since I turned adult, golf seems to really resonate with me. I love that you see people of all ages enjoying the sport. Can't really think of any other sport that has such a wide range of ages but still being a serious and difficult sport to master, if you know what I mean.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #384 on: August 06, 2020, 07:00:06 AM »
As someone that's not a sportgeek in general and hasn't been active in any sport since I turned adult, golf seems to really resonate with me. I love that you see people of all ages enjoying the sport. Can't really think of any other sport that has such a wide range of ages but still being a serious and difficult sport to master, if you know what I mean.

It's also awesome in the sense that despite being the same game, every course is completely unique and different. They all have their little quirks and secrets. I'm fortunate to be surrounded by courses. I played last Friday and my buddy and I were trying to name how many courses we could drive to in less than a half hour and we got to 18 (definitely forgetting a few).

My game has been off as of late. I switched to stiffer shaft irons and that's helped a lot with my distance issue, but I've really struggled the last 3 rounds. I don't know if it's a thing or not, but I think it's been my body physically changing. I've lost 38lbs in the last 6 weeks (65 overall) and there's been a rapid change in my shape. I can't help but wonder, with muscle memory being so critical in golf, if changing my dimensions has affected my swing at all. I've had a slice the last few rounds that is something I typically don't see, and I've been hitting a bunch of shots off the heel, which is something I pretty much never do. If anything, I usually hit it off the toe if I don't center the ball.