Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 58302 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #280 on: May 28, 2020, 02:34:56 PM »
What a beautiful morning on the golf course today! Sun shining, wildlife out and about, mid 70's by 10:00 am. Started at 7:00 am and finished up our round at 10:20. Shot a mother-fucking-100!  :rollin  I had one hole where I was 7 over par because I lost three golf balls.  :lol

Nothing better than losing three balls on one hole  :lol

It’s SO maddening. Then the next hole you’ll hit an awesome shot and wonder why the  :censored you couldn’t have done that the last hole.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: May 28, 2020, 02:42:58 PM »
What a beautiful morning on the golf course today! Sun shining, wildlife out and about, mid 70's by 10:00 am. Started at 7:00 am and finished up our round at 10:20. Shot a mother-fucking-100!  :rollin  I had one hole where I was 7 over par because I lost three golf balls.  :lol

Nothing better than losing three balls on one hole  :lol

It’s SO maddening. Then the next hole you’ll hit an awesome shot and wonder why the  :censored you couldn’t have done that the last hole.

Mrs. P has a rule, 2 balls to a hole...and...done. She just records a triple bogie (legal with the handicap system) and moves on.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online T-ski

« Reply #282 on: May 29, 2020, 05:39:59 PM »
I’m as casual a golfer as they come.  The last two summers I joined my buddies league in hopes that playing every week would help my game.

This has not happened. 

I do have holes where I’ll put myself in position for a par or bogey, but still have too many 8’s and 9’s at the end of the round.

I still have my goal set at breaking 100, and if memory serves my current best is 108.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: May 29, 2020, 09:16:18 PM »
Breaking the 100, in my experience, is simply a matter of course management (which includes managing expectations). I recommend practicing chipping, pitching, and putting to get the most bang for your buck. If you do that, and hit a club off the tee that you’re confident with (even if it’s your 7 iron) you should be able to be on most greens at one over regulation. 2 putt and you have a comfortable bogie.

Where we all get in trouble is when we try to do too much. Oh, and remember to have fun. That always seems to help!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06:35:12 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #284 on: May 30, 2020, 04:34:07 AM »
I played alot as a kid but quit when I was 14 and have only played occasionally since then and the last time was about 10 years ago. Last friday I went to a driving range with a colleague and it actually felt pretty good although I have alot to re-learn when it comes to my swing I felt. I will play my first round of golf tomorrow and i'm excited but I have no anticipation it will go well in any way.  :lol

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: May 30, 2020, 06:37:37 AM »
Have fun, MrBoom_shack-a-lack (May I just call you Mack?)! Getting back into golf after a decade layoff is fun. You have very low expectations so it's easier to enjoy the day.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #286 on: May 30, 2020, 08:07:45 AM »
Have fun, MrBoom_shack-a-lack (May I just call you Mack?)! Getting back into golf after a decade layoff is fun. You have very low expectations so it's easier to enjoy the day.
:tup Yea that's true, it's just fun getting into it again after all these years. Hopefully I can make it into a regular hobby again and not just a one off thing.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: June 02, 2020, 12:14:04 PM »
93 today.....with three blow up holes where I triple bogeyed all three. What I did figure out is that I think these hybrid clubs I bought last September aren't going to work for me. Just can't hit them 'clean'. Might just go back to my old set and call it even.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: June 02, 2020, 02:13:36 PM »
93 today.....with three blow up holes where I triple bogeyed all three. What I did figure out is that I think these hybrid clubs I bought last September aren't going to work for me. Just can't hit them 'clean'. Might just go back to my old set and call it even.

I was only able to get in 9 this morning (shot 44), but it was beautiful morning. Love, love, summertime golf. I'm getting a hernia repaired on Friday so I'll be off golf for a month (or more). Rats!

As for hybrids, Gary, the only one I have in my bag is a 3 iron replacement. I've found the key to using it is to not be too shallow on the down swing (like you would with a 3 fairway metal). You must hit down on the ball more like you would with a normal 3 iron.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #289 on: June 02, 2020, 11:13:48 PM »
Breaking the 100, in my experience, is simply a matter of course management (which includes managing expectations). I recommend practicing chipping, pitching, and putting to get the most bang for your buck. If you do that, and hit a club off the tee that you’re confident with (even if it’s your 7 iron) you should be able to be on most greens at one over regulation. 2 putt and you have a comfortable bogie.

Where we all get in trouble is when we try to do too much. Oh, and remember to have fun. That always seems to help!

This. All of this. If you have a decent shot overall and can get some yardage with most clubs, the short game around the green will save you a lot of strokes. And the tee shot is also key, as it sets up how the rest of the hole might play. Find the club you’re most consistent with and use that for most tee shots (provided it’s not too long or short to run you into trouble).

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: June 03, 2020, 02:50:45 PM »

This. All of this. If you have a decent shot overall and can get some yardage with most clubs, the short game around the green will save you a lot of strokes. And the tee shot is also key, as it sets up how the rest of the hole might play. Find the club you’re most consistent with and use that for most tee shots (provided it’s not too long or short to run you into trouble).

Hah, I just bumped into this chart today that clearly shows the correlation between putting and low scores. Check it out...and for Thor's sake, people, limit your 3 putting!  :)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #291 on: June 03, 2020, 03:05:59 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Cv9fvajrc

For those looking to potentially improve their game.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: June 03, 2020, 04:08:11 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Cv9fvajrc

For those looking to potentially improve their game.

That was really cool!!

With what he spent on that, he could get a shitload of lessons from a pro.  :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: June 04, 2020, 11:29:08 PM »
https://youtu.be/QSFEeEqRrPE

Pretty much sums it up

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #294 on: June 06, 2020, 05:53:18 AM »

Pretty much sums it up

Absolutely glorious.  And 100% accurate.  Couple things I would've added...

from the sand trap, you see a puff of sand, then 2 seconds later the ball comes flying out.
<playing the hole with your dick out>
"Other than the weight and the line, that was a great putt!"
"Little known fact ... 100% of balls short of the cup do not go in"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online T-ski

« Reply #295 on: June 06, 2020, 08:50:20 AM »

Pretty much sums it up

the YouBetcha guy has us midwesterners down perfectly.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: June 06, 2020, 11:23:09 AM »
95 this morning with my brother. That was with two 8’s on par fours and missed a pretty easy three footer for par on the 10th hole. Was happy with the score despite those big mistakes because the course we played is a tough one that I traditionally shoot pretty bad on. Had a great day chipping and putting.

Still can’t get a full round in where I don’t have two or three holes where I shoot triple bogey or higher.......or have the two or three shots a round where I’ll chunk it 15 foot from where I’m hitting from. Such a weird game where you can have a perfect hole where you get a birdie or par then a hole where you light it up for an 8.   :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #297 on: June 06, 2020, 11:56:36 AM »
Played my first round of golf last Sunday. It went alright, a few balls went haywire so to say.  :lol Overall though I had a bit more control than I thought. I felt a bit sore in my right wrist just after so i'm wondering if I do something wrong with my swing or how I hold the club. Watched a few beginner videos last night and will try to improve some stuff. I though this guy had some nice exercises: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zlquRxHx6Y

One of the reasons why I felt the urge to play again was that I borrowed a golfbag with some clubs a few years ago and after a while he gifted the whole thing to me which was very nice. Should be noted that the clubs a pretty worn out and that was only left over clubs for him. Altough one club is a Callaway so that one is pretty nice. The funny thing is that since I hadn't played for so many years I actually thought that was a driver but turns out it was a fairwaywood.  :blush

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: June 10, 2020, 12:06:55 PM »
Shot my all time personal best this morning.....80   :omg:   :metal 42 on front 38 on back. It was the white tees which was 6100 yards.  You could have confused me with Mickelson the way my wedge game was on today. Honestly, literally every chip I had near the green ended up within two or three foot of the hole and a couple were within inches. I was up and down for par a lot today.

Looking back after the round I figured the missed four foot par putt on the second hole was just my typical 'bogey' golf self but it cost me a chance to shoot in the 70's  :lol

I've come to terms with the fact that I cannot hit my 2/3/4 irons at all....so what I've done (which worked perfectly today) is that if I'm 170 or more out from the hole I'm just hitting my 5 wood. If it goes on the green then great....if not, I'll be somewhere near the green where I can hopefully just chip and putt for an up and down. Worked well today.....which means the next round I play I'll probably shoot a 110  :lol

I've surpassed the amount of times I golf a year by two or three rounds already. At least this furlough is good for something  :tup

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: June 11, 2020, 10:47:15 AM »
Nice, Gary!

Watching the first round of the Colonial on TV, after three months, is a quasi-religious experience.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #300 on: June 11, 2020, 01:20:21 PM »
Quick story:

I love sports but I really didn't appreciate golf until I was involved in a charity golf tournament before I moved away from Dallas. I would go out to the driving range with friends and practice. One friend lent me a set of clubs and golfing was NOT easy and then the day of tournament came. It was in shotgun format that started at 8:00am, drinking started at 7:30am.

I had a BLAST and I realized that golf is far more difficult than I ever imagined. I know I would have pursued golf if I had stayed in Dallas and I may pick it back up but I have a new respect for it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: June 11, 2020, 10:15:33 PM »
A PGA tournament started today. Did anyone notice??
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: June 12, 2020, 06:01:03 AM »
A PGA tournament started today. Did anyone notice??

:\

Nice, Gary!

Watching the first round of the Colonial on TV, after three months, is a quasi-religious experience.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: June 12, 2020, 06:28:59 AM »
Haha sorry Podaar I meant society as a whole. With all the crapmgoing on, it just hasn't seemed like a blip on the news radar.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: June 17, 2020, 06:51:38 AM »
Teeing off in a few minutes in a (2) man skins scramble with my good buddy. Potential to make some $$$ today so gotta try to limit the duffed shots

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: June 17, 2020, 06:54:03 AM »
Hit 'em straight, Gary!

I'm so jealous. Saw my surgeon yesterday and he said I still have three weeks before I can golf.  :sad:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #306 on: June 17, 2020, 07:24:27 AM »
Quick story:

I love sports but I really didn't appreciate golf until I was involved in a charity golf tournament before I moved away from Dallas. I would go out to the driving range with friends and practice. One friend lent me a set of clubs and golfing was NOT easy and then the day of tournament came. It was in shotgun format that started at 8:00am, drinking started at 7:30am.

I had a BLAST and I realized that golf is far more difficult than I ever imagined. I know I would have pursued golf if I had stayed in Dallas and I may pick it back up but I have a new respect for it.

Golf is one of the hardest activities there is, and anyone who says/thinks otherwise has never done anything beyond mini-golfing or going to a driving range.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: June 17, 2020, 11:37:43 AM »
May have a chance at a skin on a hole but we didn’t do too well. (+3). Couldn’t make a putt today to save our lives.

Online T-ski

« Reply #308 on: June 17, 2020, 11:47:48 AM »
Anyone play Golf Clash? I’m much better at that than real golf.  :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: June 19, 2020, 02:57:01 PM »
Watching the RBC Heritage today. I've heard two F-bombs on the telecast.  :lol

"Every. Fuckin'. Time!" -- Rory McIlroy, after slicing a drive off the tee.

"Oh. Fuck you!" -- Harold Varner III, after hooking a ball into the weeds at 18.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: June 19, 2020, 02:58:55 PM »
Heading out again in the morning with my brothers and Dad for Fathers Day. Picked up a new/used driver yesterday. Because it’s the drivers fault I had no control over my drives last round.  :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: June 19, 2020, 03:08:56 PM »
Heading out again in the morning with my brothers and Dad for Fathers Day. Picked up a new/used driver yesterday. Because it’s the drivers fault I had no control over my drives last round.  :lol

What did you pick up, Gary?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: June 19, 2020, 10:07:04 PM »

What did you pick up, Gary?

A used Nike VR Pro Ltd Edition Driver 8.5 degree,  83x. Want to see if the 8.5 degree can help with the ‘natural fade’ I have. Hoping that if it’s not in the air as long it’s less time it can keep slicing.

There have been times when I had the left to right ball flight i naturally have under control and can aim it well. I mean, the day I shot my personal best I knew where every drive was going. Then last round it was all over the place. I don’t hit very far on average....250-260ish. So I’d like to at least get it under control.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: June 20, 2020, 05:03:35 AM »
Wow, that's a pretty rare club. I remember hitting one at the store about 10 years ago. Nice tech.

I'm not going to use this forum to toss around bad (good) golfing advise...but, I'm confident it's not the driver that's causing your fade to go awry.  :lol

Still, if it gives you confidence...

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: June 20, 2020, 06:04:24 AM »
Yeah.....you know I was kidding when trying to blame the club for my slow fade turning into a pronounced slice. Some days the drive is working.....other days taking penalty strokes galore. I’m off to see which day it’ll be.