Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 57049 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #245 on: June 18, 2019, 10:08:51 AM »
Awesomesauce man.  What a great time that must've been.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #246 on: June 18, 2019, 10:12:44 AM »
Yes, it was a very satisfying tournament and a very deserving champion. For a while, early in the round, it looked like Koepka was going to catch him quick, but what a performance by Woodland! Great nerve.

The action, and the players are a ton, A TON, easier to follow on television and the internet. But being there has its charm and the course becomes the most compelling character! We walked the entire course twice on Thursday and put about twenty miles on our sneakers. I've always thought I'd like to play Pebble Beach but after walking that monster, I'm not so sure. Not only is the track tough, but the scenery and condition of the course is distracting.  :)

Because we were staying about a block from the front gate, we were at the course very early both days. Thus, we were able to watch most of our favorites tee off at least once in relative calm. But by 10 o'clock it was a total cluster fuck. You didn't want to be anywhere near where Tiger was playing. I knew his celebrity transcended the sport but I've never seen it in action before. It was actually a bit scary and disappointing...in a I can't believe I'm the same species kind of way. The FOX coverage just added to the frenzy with the way they would add extra boom cameras and, well...everything, when he came by.

We had a great time and I would definitely go again. We're actually considering the Open Championship at St. Andrews. If I had any advise for potential tournament goers...

1) Stay as close to the venue as you can.
2) Go as early as you can.
3) Spend the extra money for passes to one of the hospitality venues. Go there around 11:00 am. Stay there until around 2:00 pm (you can watch the action from there). Head back out on the course for the remainder of the day.
4) If you want a seat in a prime location bleacher (like #7, #17, and #18 at Pebble) either go early or go late...and never, ever try to get into a bleacher if it is an hour prior to Tiger coming by. [edit] In fact, just after he leaves a hole is a great time to get into the bleacher. [/edit]

Nice and interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: June 18, 2019, 11:59:25 AM »
Awesomesauce man.  What a great time that must've been.

It was, but you would have been disappointed with the quality of the Scotch...I know I was. Dewars. :puke:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: June 18, 2019, 12:06:39 PM »
I like to think of that as DON'T-ars
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: July 19, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »
I fucking hate, hate, Jimmy Roberts! His interview questions are so inane he's like Jim Nance squared. I'm really missing Amanda Balionis this week.

Quite the charge by Lowry today!  :omg:

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2019, 09:48:10 AM »
I fucking hate, hate, Jimmy Roberts! His interview questions are so inane he's like Jim Nance squared. I'm really missing Amanda Balionis this week.

Amanda Balionis is definitely bringing the hot  :o. When Faldo left the booth yesterday and was replaced by Paul Azinger, I started cussing out loud. "Great, two straight majors ruined by this jackass."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2019, 10:21:44 AM »

Amanda Balionis is definitely bringing the hot  :o. When Faldo left the booth yesterday and was replaced by Paul Azinger, I started cussing out loud. "Great, two straight majors ruined by this jackass."

For me, it's not that she's hot (which she is in an athletic way) but that she knows the players and tends to talk about their games and relevant questions about their rounds.

I agree about Azinger. They need to find someone else... but Faldo is so good that by comparison that's a tough gig.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #252 on: July 19, 2019, 01:12:23 PM »

For me, it's not that she's hot (which she is in an athletic way) but that she knows the players and tends to talk about their games and relevant questions about their rounds.

I agree about Azinger. They need to find someone else... but Faldo is so good that by comparison that's a tough gig.

Man, why you gotta take the hot chick and make it about her intelligence lol. You're absolutely right, which is good cuz nobody wants to just see a talking head. Unfortunately, she's a better speaker than a lot of the players are. "Uh, yeah, it was a good round. Yeah, I struck it well today."   :facepalm:

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: July 19, 2019, 01:27:33 PM »
Any predictions for tomorrow, Sylvan?

I can't shake the feeling that Justin Rose might have something special in store for the weekend. The way he's putting, man, if he could hit more greens in regulation!

Hard to bet against Koepke though. If he puts up a number early, folks are going to start sweating big time.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #254 on: July 19, 2019, 08:03:23 PM »
I think we're contractually obligated to mention Koepka at this point lol. With the weather always a question mark, and the finish proving to be a difficult one, I feel like anyone under par at this point is still in it. I'm a big DJ fan, and he gave himself good looks at birdies all day. I'm looking for him to get some more putts to fall tomorrow.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #255 on: July 21, 2019, 11:35:03 AM »
Ireland, some time in the distant future...

"Sit down kids, and let me tell you the story of Shane Lowry."

This dude will never have to pay for a drink in Ireland for the rest of his life.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #256 on: July 21, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
Spare a thought for JB Holmes. Leading the tournament after round 2, joint-third at the start of today on -10. Has six bogeys, four double bogeys and a triple bogey, a 16-over-par round of 87 to finish on +6.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #257 on: July 21, 2019, 03:26:05 PM »
I don't remember them really showing his play once it went sideways, so I'm not entirely sure how he racked up the strokes. The weather was rough, and I don't believe he would just choke. He hasn't been super happy with his game this season, and maybe the weather and situation were enough to get into his head and maybe change his mechanics and cause him to make poor choices.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2019, 06:34:13 AM »
Spare a thought for JB Holmes. Leading the tournament after round 2, joint-third at the start of today on -10. Has six bogeys, four double bogeys and a triple bogey, a 16-over-par round of 87 to finish on +6.

Ouch... that's almost as bad as Van de Velde.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: August 19, 2019, 08:52:53 AM »
Does Koepke make it difficult to be a fan?

Watching the BMW this past week, while Medina was in the most getable condition of its history (the course record was bettered twice this weekend), I was disappointed to see Brooks (appear) to be phoning it in. Intellectually, I know that's not the case, but his outward lack of intensity on the course coupled with some of the comments he's made this year (being bored on the course, not practicing, not doing prep work for non-major tournaments, etc.) give the appearance he's only there to win if it comes easy. As a fan and a high handicap hacker, I find it difficult to admire him. I admire his talent and accomplishments not him the person.

I'll be pulling for Finau or JT at East Lake.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #260 on: August 19, 2019, 09:02:42 AM »
Watching the BMW this past week, while Medina was in the most getable condition of its history (the course record was bettered twice this weekend), I was disappointed to see Brooks (appear) to be phoning it in. Intellectually, I know that's not the case, but his outward lack of intensity on the course coupled with some of the comments he's made this year (being bored on the course, not practicing, not doing prep work for non-major tournaments, etc.) give the appearance he's only there to win if it comes easy. As a fan and a high handicap hacker, I find it difficult to admire him. I admire his talent and accomplishments not him the person.

I take a bunch of crap from my buddies because I've refused to jump on the Koepka train....for many of the reasons you've pointed out. I can't recall exactly 'when' it was....but I know it was after his first major....I watched an interview he gave and his demeanor....answers....the over all 'vibe' turned me off towards him and I've never shook it.

Great talent. But for me I just can't get behind the guy. And, time will tell....but I think he falls off like the rest of them have as far as how long he remains a consistent threat. If yet another example of just HOW dominant Tiger was is the fact that for over 10 straight years he could and did win at an alarming pace. There are guys like Koepka and Co. who can and will do it for two, three...maybe four years....but they all tail off and just become 'another' golfer. Look at Rory as an example.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: August 19, 2019, 09:42:31 AM »
It's odd, isn't it Gary? I get the impression that much of the reason he's been so successful in big moments these past three years is largely because he's so calm. I don't know, fandom is a hard thing to quantify. He is who he is, and there's something admirable about him being so comfortable with himself, but I find it off-putting.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: August 19, 2019, 09:51:01 AM »
It's odd, isn't it Gary? I get the impression that much of the reason he's been so successful in big moments these past three years is largely because he's so calm. I don't know, fandom is a hard thing to quantify. He is who he is, and there's something admirable about him being so comfortable with himself, but I find it off-putting.

Yeah. It's weird how seemingly the same traits between he and Tiger can make me root for Tiger no matter what he does to completely turn me off to Koepka??

I mean, by every account I've read...Tiger really isn't or should I say wasn't that nice of a person during the prime of his dominance. The stories I've read were that he was just outright entitled and a real dick. But, at the time I didn't care because of 'how' freaking good he was and the level of dominance he had was just awesome to watch. I think what's cool about his 'comeback' is that it appears he's made great strides as a person as well to better himself which makes him even more like able.

Koepka seems to have that same level of arrogance going on that Tiger had but the difference is how it comes off I guess?? Tiger's was kept hidden whereas Koepka seems to be unapologetic about it. I don't know.....it's tough to explain why I can't like the guy. Maybe he's the nicest guy in the world  :lol  I just am more drawn to others

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: August 23, 2019, 03:03:50 PM »
Rain delays suck.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: August 23, 2019, 05:28:24 PM »
Koepka seems to have that same level of arrogance going on that Tiger had but the difference is how it comes off I guess?? Tiger's was kept hidden whereas Koepka seems to be unapologetic about it. I don't know.....it's tough to explain why I can't like the guy.

C'mon Gary, how could you not like this?!

But seriously, interesting bit from the ESPN article:

There is a lot of meaningless filler in the weekly ebb and flow of sports. It's not polite to point this out, primarily because it feels disrespectful to the thousands of consumers who devote considerable time and money to following every season, but the rising and receding emotional tides of sports are actually essential to the health of the product. The idea that the great athletes are the ones who give 100% effort 100% of the time is a slogan fit for an inspirational poster, but it is not the real way of the world.

This is why golfer Brooks Koepka might be the most honest athlete of 2019. Koepka is great when he needs to be. He is indifferent when competing in events of specious importance. ("Regular tournaments, I don't practice," he has said. "If you've seen me on TV, that's when I play golf.") Whether or not this is as admirable as the attitude Tiger Woods took in his prime -- grinding over every shot in every tournament like the fate of the universe hung in the balance -- Koepka's candor about his strategic approach has been strangely refreshing.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: April 30, 2020, 01:50:00 PM »
So our home course shut down a month ago because, well...you know. Just a week or so after buying our season passes, ha. It just opened back up last weekend to walking only (along with a shitload of other restrictions). The Missus and I have played four rounds since Saturday so I'm feeling pretty happy to be out on the course again. Sunshine and fresh air is helping my psyche tremendously.

I'm still struggling with my newly rebuilt swing--and the ton of weight I've lost (you might be surprised how much this effects golf)--but I did have some excellent shots and was able to string a few together for a couple of birdies. The best news is, the wider arc of my new swing coupled better shaft lean at impact has brought my short irons back to distances that I'm comfortable with. I'm pretty confident I can get back into scoring shape pretty soon.

Mrs. P really had a tremendous putting day. 26 putts total! She was holing them from all over the place. She's going to need a few more rounds before she can start scoring at her normal level though.

Okay, the weird part is that the course is almost completely empty at dawn. This morning we didn't see another golfer until we made the turn at the clubhouse. The parking lot was 3/4 empty at 10:00 am. We have 27 holes at our home course and I'm telling you, normally that sucker would be full when the temps are in the 70's like they are now. But, the course is in beautiful shape as a result, so we'll take it.

I hope all you golfer's favorite courses are open or will be opening soon. Stay safe out there.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #266 on: April 30, 2020, 02:02:03 PM »
I'll be playing this Sunday for the third week in a row. The guys I play with an I probably played a dozen rounds of 18 in one of those virtual golf facilities over the winter. It kept my swing going in the down months. Those simulators are surprisingly awesome and not really gimmicky at all.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: April 30, 2020, 03:01:19 PM »
Maryland is still closed.  Even if I'd have shot 100, I was going to go in March (a single with a group of three), but they would not let me have my own cart, even though I offered to pay extra. So I passed.  The courses shut down the next day.

I was also going to do league play for the first time in twelve years.  Regardless of when the courses open, I'll pass on doing the league until next year. 

Podaar:  kudos on the reduction of weight and score.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: April 30, 2020, 03:41:12 PM »
Dragonattack. Thanks about the weight kudo, but maybe I wasn't clear about scoring. I'm not keeping score yet this year. Just doing tuneup rounds to get some idea of how to play with my new body and swing. I'll start scoring, probably, next week and posting to the USGA then. I'd be happy just to post comparable to my previous handicap, but at this point I'm not there yet. Actual improvement will have to wait until later in the season...but I'm patient.

BTW, I'm an 18 handicap, so there is tons of room for improvement!  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: April 30, 2020, 03:43:09 PM »
Golfing was shut down in WA but just opened up with some new rules. Only 2 to a group, only one person to a cart, you can't touch the flag stick, and stupid shit like you cannot drive to the course together unless you live together. If you are golfing with a buddy, you have to drive separately.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: May 07, 2020, 03:51:30 PM »
So, Tuesday's round was really fun. I was very pleased with my progress and had an excellent ball striking day. Tee to green was solid with only a few goofy chips and so so putting. I had a couple of birdies, a few bogies, and a bunch of pars. I'm sure I had a couple of double bogies but I'm not sure because I still wasn't keeping score.

This morning I pulled out my score book and decided to see where I was at. Great drive off the first tee. 143 yards to a front flag and stuck a 9-iron to 12 feet of the flag (hey, give me break it was 43° F when we started at 7:30 so there was no way I'd hit a pitching wedge that far). I nestled the putt up next to the hole on the high side for a kick in par. Feeling great I recorded a 4 for the first hole...

And the wheels came off the happy-wagon. I wound up scoring 98 with only three penalty strokes for balls lost in hazards. What the actual fuck is it with this stupid game!  :lol  You just start feeling good, decide to score your round, your mind goes completely blank and all the hard work goes out the fucking window. Thor, what a mental torture this sport can be...a game played in the five inches between your ears, indeed!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: May 12, 2020, 04:41:42 PM »
Had a fun round with Mrs. P this morning for our 19th anniversary. I was -1 through the first six holes, but got a triple bogie on the 7th, a bogie on the 8th and a par on the 9th to finish the front nine with a 39 +3. That's outstanding for this old duffer. I struggled with the wind on the back nine and shot (a more normal) 45. I'd take an 84 every day of the week.  :lol

We'll see what Thursday's round brings.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: May 12, 2020, 07:22:40 PM »
Nice.  I think 89 was the best score I ever had.  I've probably only played about 10 rounds in the last 10 years though. Played a lot for work in the 00s - probably 20 rounds a summer for most of those years.  You're absolutely right, it's a game of the head.  If I could hit the ball as good as I'm capable of EVERY time, I'd have a low-mid single digit handicap.

Also, no one else in the jingle.household ever took an interest, and I haven't had the chance to get out for work / schmooze golf in 10 years so ... no soup for me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: May 27, 2020, 11:15:18 AM »
Bought a new set of hybrid clubs last September and only got out once with them back then. So, over the past few days I've been out (3) times. Last Friday I went out with some neighbors and played 18 holes. Having not played in 8 months and having new clubs I expected nothing. Just wanted to hit the new clubs and get a feel for them. I switched from graphite shafts to stiff shafts....so that's a big difference.

Shot a 91 and easily left 5 or 6 strokes on the course. Felt good about the new clubs so went again on Sunday morning with a buddy of mine. We played 9 holes and I shot a 41 (par 36) Was thrilled!! Used the same ball the whole time (that's always good) and just had more good shots than bad. So, I'm feeling good about my game.....called a buddy up to play Monday. We go out and play 18 and I shoot an even 100  :lol

Couldn't keep the ball in play, I bet I hit 12 of the 18 tee shots O.B......so I'm immediately shooting 3 and still the whole hole to go. Was horrible. To defend myself a little....the first (5) holes it was raining pretty solid. We'd play a shot or two then have to wait for it to stop.....we also waited for about half hour because it was raining so hard. After it stopped everything was drenched and soggy so every shot was just thick and tough. The back 9 was a bit better as the sun did pop out but it was really wet. No real 'excuse' but it sucks hitting off of slop.

But the moral of the story is....just when I start to feel good about my golf game it quickly reminds me that I suck  :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: May 27, 2020, 12:49:17 PM »
But the moral of the story is....just when I start to feel good about my golf game it quickly reminds me that I suck  :lol

That's life, that's golf.

I used to golf with a friend of my Dad's. His name was Loy Clemens and he was from central Texas. Loy used to always quote the head caddie (with the improbable name of Booger Red) from the golf club he grew up playing. After every poor shot, Booger used to remove his hat with reverence and say, "Life is like golf, a bad day is just an opportunity to improve." The last time I ever played golf with Loy, and he told relayed this little anecdote for the 100th time, I said, "...and a good day is just an opportunity to fuck up."  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #275 on: May 27, 2020, 01:08:37 PM »
When you hit that second shot and you wonder, "How did I do that and can I do it again?" 

When I played every other week I shot low 90's.  Now, once or twice a year, 125 is what I've been hitting.  Terrible. 

Still, I have fun.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #276 on: May 27, 2020, 01:13:01 PM »
I try and golf twice a week. It's been a pretty good season so far. Though, last Thursday I played 9 and lost more balls that round than the 6 before it  :lol Just one of those days. It was a really busy day and we were playing slow. I tend to suck on days like that. When I'm walking and only stopping to hit, it's easy to stay warm and loose. When I walk 270 yards and then have to just stand in place for 5 minutes while waiting to take my next shot, I start to stiffen up.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 01:30:47 PM by Chino »

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #277 on: May 27, 2020, 01:24:17 PM »
It was a really busy day and we were playing slow. I tend to suck on days like that. When I'm walking and only stopping to hit, it's easy to stay warm and lose. When I walk 270 yards and then have to just stand in place for 5 minutes while waiting to take my next shot, I start to stiffen up.

Days like that are frustrating, and I hear you here.  I don't necessarily stiffen up, but where golf is such a game of rhythm, flow, and pace, if something breaks that, it can really throw you off.  The muscle memory starts to get a little sloppy, you start to think about things a little more, impatience on waiting for the group in front starts to creep up... none of that is fun.  I'm more of a plan your shot on the way to the ball and just hit it once you're there kind of guy, so things that slow the pace down can really cause me to suck.   :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: May 27, 2020, 01:53:54 PM »
It was a really busy day and we were playing slow. I tend to suck on days like that. When I'm walking and only stopping to hit, it's easy to stay warm and lose. When I walk 270 yards and then have to just stand in place for 5 minutes while waiting to take my next shot, I start to stiffen up.

Days like that are frustrating, and I hear you here.  I don't necessarily stiffen up, but where golf is such a game of rhythm, flow, and pace, if something breaks that, it can really throw you off.  The muscle memory starts to get a little sloppy, you start to think about things a little more, impatience on waiting for the group in front starts to creep up... none of that is fun.  I'm more of a plan your shot on the way to the ball and just hit it once you're there kind of guy, so things that slow the pace down can really cause me to suck.   :lol

This! All of this.

For that reason, I primarily play early morning on weekdays. There's nothing I love more than being the first group out in the morning and playing at our own pace...which is pretty fast really. Mrs. P and I generally walk 18 in 3 - 3-1/2 hours (depending how much time we spend on reading greens). Weekend afternoons are the slowest and most frustrating.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:41:25 PM by Podaar »

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: May 28, 2020, 01:49:03 PM »
What a beautiful morning on the golf course today! Sun shining, wildlife out and about, mid 70's by 10:00 am. Started at 7:00 am and finished up our round at 10:20. Shot a mother-fucking-100!  :rollin  I had one hole where I was 7 over par because I lost three golf balls.  :lol