Author Topic: Velvet Underground  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Velvet Underground
« on: August 15, 2010, 07:22:18 AM »
Any other fans?

I only have the first two albums, and I've approached them fairly slowly, but I'm now convinced they're both damn good albums. White Light/White Heat is far more interesting and consistently exciting in terms of experimentation and general weirdness, but the first album feels more complete, it benefits from the pretty moments, and song for song, it's a far stronger collection. I'm really looking forward to checking out the other two albums, particularly the third, since it's apparently the polar opposite of WL/WH.

These guys are slowly becoming one of my favourite groups from the '60s. Really interesting sound.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
Re: Velvet Underground
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 02:46:49 PM »
I'm definitely an admirer.
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 02:46:20 AM »
*incoming pot hole!*

I listened to WL/WH and then the self titled 1969 together today. Great, great stuff, really! I replaced the version of S/T with the Closet Mix and it sounds much more... I don't know, nice? No reverb, flat production. It's awesome that way!

ediT: The Gift gets very funny the way John Cale recites the story in a European accent or whatever it was. And it's just a very different thing to be made at that time. It's wicked.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:59:18 AM by SPNKr »

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:38:47 AM »
Eh. I have listened to them here and there, but nothing ever stuck. Also got to see Phish perform the entire Loaded album at the Halloween 1998 show in Las Vegas, and it didn't make me want to go back and explore VU's catalog...

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 03:32:27 PM »
Well I just grabbed Another View for the extra session work they did back in the 60s (and because it's got the song I'm Gonna Move Right In), then I'll be getting Loaded.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »
I saw Metallica play with Lou Reed at a Hall of Fame gig. They played White Light/White Heat and Sweet Jane. Cool shit but I never looked more into these guys.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 03:32:02 AM »
I've only heard the banana album, but I really like it. Heroin is such an amazing song.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 03:52:58 AM »
One of my favourites, VU & Nico (aka the banana album).