Author Topic: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread  (Read 60533 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread
« Reply #280 on: June 10, 2014, 11:57:20 AM »
How's the quality of the remasters? Are they worth getting?

My opinion may be biased, but I'm loving them so far.  Quite a noticeable difference, IMO.  Plus, the bonus discs (live tracks on I; 'rough mixes' on II and III) make it intriguing enough for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #281 on: June 10, 2014, 01:34:36 PM »
I just have the first one, but it's an improvement in sound quality and Led Zep live in 1969 is always good time, though there's some better soundboards they could have put out. The alternate takes on the LZIII bonus disc, I hear, are interesting enough to make that worth buying.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #282 on: February 22, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 90 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Yeah, yeah, whatever.  Had to share. 

Louisville Leopard Percussionists -- A bunch of kids covering Led Zeppelin on all percussion.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: February 23, 2015, 02:04:05 PM »

Louisville Leopard Percussionists -- A bunch of kids covering Led Zeppelin on all percussion.

That was totally, WICKED!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #284 on: February 23, 2015, 05:26:57 PM »

Damn dude.  I just watched that a few hours ago.  How did you find out about it.  I caught it on CBS news.  Their cover of Crazy Train is....interesting too.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #285 on: February 23, 2015, 05:59:33 PM »
Someone linked it on Facebook.  It was too awesome not to share.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #286 on: July 04, 2015, 05:35:26 AM »
Bump.

I imagine this is a topic that most people who hear about it shrug off without much thought, but I was wondering what your opinions are about the whole Jimmy Page/Lori Maddox business.

If you haven't heard about it: Page was involved with Maddox, a 14 year old when he met her, for several years during the early 70s. He seems to have realised their relationship was wrong and did what he could to keep it under wraps, to the extent that, by her own admission, Maddox was, although totally smitten with him and willingly involved, apparently being held/contained/imprisoned (depending how strong language you want to use) to some extent.

I realise there are tons of reasons to argue this falls in a grey area - she was a groupie, i.e. one of countless girls who was intentionally seeking out rock stars in disregard of her own age; the whole thing was consensual; that was part of the culture and the era and the way we think about it now didn't really factor into it the same way back then; other rock stars did it, etc.

But I've had trouble listening to Led Zep and not having this come to mind since hearing about it.

Oh, and if this has been discussed before, I did a search and nothing came up.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: July 04, 2015, 07:11:37 AM »
I think I may have touched on it in the Zeppelin Discography discussion.  Everything I've read was that it was 100% consensual. 'Imprisoned' is a pretty harsh way of putting it.  Jimmy was a pretty reclusive cat back then, and in the mid-70s when heroin really took hold of him, he became even more reclusive - with Maddox.  It certainly wasn't the worst thing any member of the band ever did.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #288 on: July 04, 2015, 11:15:52 AM »
I don't remember hearing anything about this, although if it was in the Discography discussion, then I at least read something.

I find the terms "100% consensual" and "imprisoned" to be incompatible.  If Jimmy was forcing an underaged girl to do anything she didn't want to do, then I definitely have a problem with that.  But if she herself says she was smitten with him and was a groupie, then where is "imprisoned" even coming from?  Jimmy liked to hide away and get wasted.  He doesn't seem like the type to force her to stay with him.  Honestly, I would think she was free to leave any time.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: July 04, 2015, 11:37:05 AM »
I never heard that before.  Interesting

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: July 04, 2015, 11:39:11 AM »

I find the terms "100% consensual" and "imprisoned" to be incompatible. 

I find the terms "consenual" and "14 years old" to be incompatible , even if it was consensual............if ya know what I mean.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: July 04, 2015, 11:41:21 AM »
I don't think she would be capable of making a sound decision; not only being 14yrs old, but being smitten with a major rock star.  No excuse whatsoever for Jimmy.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #292 on: July 04, 2015, 11:51:16 AM »
But if she herself says she was smitten with him and was a groupie, then where is "imprisoned" even coming from? 
From what I've read, she wanted to be there, but with the understanding that if she wanted something to happen between them, what was happening would have to remain hidden from most people around him and from the press. She's spoken of having been sometimes left behind locked doors.

But as bl5150 said, consent, i.e. whether she wanted to be there or not, isn't really the issue for me. It's the fact that he was knowingly engaging in paedophilia and hiding it. Regardless of arguments that say this was an accepted part of the culture, he was clearly explicitly conscious that he was doing something wrong by becoming involved with her, and went to huge lengths to conceal it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #293 on: July 04, 2015, 12:52:32 PM »
Therefore she was "imprisoned"?  I'm still not seeing it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #294 on: July 04, 2015, 03:37:19 PM »
But if she herself says she was smitten with him and was a groupie, then where is "imprisoned" even coming from? 
From what I've read, she wanted to be there, but with the understanding that if she wanted something to happen between them, what was happening would have to remain hidden from most people around him and from the press. She's spoken of having been sometimes left behind locked doors.

But as bl5150 said, consent, i.e. whether she wanted to be there or not, isn't really the issue for me. It's the fact that he was knowingly engaging in paedophilia and hiding it. Regardless of arguments that say this was an accepted part of the culture, he was clearly explicitly conscious that he was doing something wrong by becoming involved with her, and went to huge lengths to conceal it.

Just a clarification...    Pedophilia often gets tossed out as an inflammatory word and "catch all" phrase for anyone who has sex with any minor whatsoever.    But honestly, this isn't really fair...nor is it a proper term.

Pedophilia is the sexual attraction to PREPUBESCENT CHILDREN...(as in under the age of 10-11)
Hebephilia is the sexual attraction to mid-pubescent minors
Ephebophilia is the sexual attraction to post-pubescent minors.

And there is a difference.   While I'm not arguing that it's acceptable in any way, shape, or form...there is a HUGE difference between someone in their 20's having "consensual" sex with 15 year old, and a 40 year old who cruises grade schools in a van.   

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #295 on: July 04, 2015, 05:44:56 PM »
Fair enough. Exchange terms then. The point is, he knew it was culturally unacceptable and illegal, and went about it anyway.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #296 on: July 04, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »
Big Zeppelin fan and I knew about this from all the bios that I read. Jimmy Page is basically my favorite guitarist ever.   Not that it makes it legally or morally right, but there are recent interviews with Lori Maddox in which she looks back fondly on the relationship and characterizes Page as a sweetheart. Hardly a forced affair.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline jammindude

« Reply #297 on: July 04, 2015, 06:50:05 PM »
...and therein lies the controversy over underaged affairs.   The question of whether or not the "victim" is really a victim.   Because even years later, they can often look back on the "abuse" fondly. 

I put the terms in quotes because they are in some ways subjective.   I don't have a side.   I honestly don't know what the answer is.   All I know is that trying to draw fine lines in the sand can be a very debatable thing.   

The now famous Broadway show "The Vagina Monologues" once had a part in it that (I think) was later dropped.   The writer was pondering back on how she had been molested by a much older woman when she was very much underaged.   The quote from the original version of the show was, "If it was rape...it was a good rape..." 

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #298 on: July 04, 2015, 07:10:18 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PL5380rCsoU

Interview with Lori Maddox.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #299 on: September 26, 2017, 05:46:16 PM »
Just felt like talking about the albums:

Led Zeppelin I: Awesome album from top to bottom, and I love its bluesy aspects

Led Zeppelin II: Classic album, but not one that I listen to a lot. Its a little too cheerful and strait forward for my taste, but its still really good.

Led Zeppelin III: For a long time I didn't get this album, but recently have grown to absolutely love it. Since I've been loving you is a gift from god. I love the folk vibe going on as well for the album. 

Led Zeppelin IV: The one with stairway. A song that I really love and do my best not to over listen to, so that's why I only listen to this album every once in a while. Fantastic album though. When the levee breaks is so damn kick ass.

Houses: Very diverse and awesome album. Probably my favorite.

Perfect symmetry: there's quite alot to explore here. Some good, some bad, some great, some so so. But I like this album a bit.

Presence: I personally love this album, but people tend to have issues with it. This album has some kick ass songs, like achilles last stand, nobody's fault but mine, and Tea for one (a song that I absolutely adore. The rest of the songs are solid imo, so yeah I dig this album.

In through the out door: A public service announcement against drugs imo, as Paige not really being involved is sorely felt. This is the only LZ album I don't like and don't listen to. Its a shame this was their swan song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #300 on: September 26, 2017, 06:16:42 PM »
II is cheerful? Uh, what?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #301 on: September 26, 2017, 06:18:08 PM »
Just felt like talking about the albums:

Led Zeppelin I: Awesome album from top to bottom, and I love its bluesy aspects

Led Zeppelin II: Classic album, but not one that I listen to a lot. Its a little too cheerful and strait forward for my taste, but its still really good.

Led Zeppelin III: For a long time I didn't get this album, but recently have grown to absolutely love it. Since I've been loving you is a gift from god. I love the folk vibe going on as well for the album. 

Led Zeppelin IV: The one with stairway. A song that I really love and do my best not to over listen to, so that's why I only listen to this album every once in a while. Fantastic album though. When the levee breaks is so damn kick ass.

Houses: Very diverse and awesome album. Probably my favorite.

Perfect symmetry: there's quite alot to explore here. Some good, some bad, some great, some so so. But I like this album a bit.

Presence: I personally love this album, but people tend to have issues with it. This album has some kick ass songs, like achilles last stand, nobody's fault but mine, and Tea for one (a song that I absolutely adore. The rest of the songs are solid imo, so yeah I dig this album.

In through the out door: A public service announcement against drugs imo, as Paige not really being involved is sorely felt. This is the only LZ album I don't like and don't listen to. Its a shame this was their swan song.

???
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #302 on: September 26, 2017, 06:20:17 PM »
Let me be the first to say that autocorrect and not reading after you say it is a b****.   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #303 on: September 26, 2017, 06:22:57 PM »
Let me be the first to say that autocorrect and not reading after you say it is a b****.   :lol

Yeah. Every time I type in Physical Graffiti it autocorrects to Perfect Symmetry. Weird. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #304 on: September 26, 2017, 06:25:08 PM »

Yeah. Every time I type in Physical Graffiti it autocorrects to Perfect Symmetry. Weird. ;D

I find this amusing.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #305 on: September 26, 2017, 06:30:37 PM »
Oops, got Fate's warning on the brain. silly me  :blush

Physical graffiti

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #306 on: September 26, 2017, 06:33:04 PM »

I would have sworn yours would auto correct to Kip Winger.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #307 on: September 26, 2017, 06:34:20 PM »
Only when I type in Wolfking.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #308 on: September 26, 2017, 09:07:55 PM »
Winger rules...

Love Led Zepp. Like many, In Through the Outdoor is my least favorite. That record, as far as I'm concerned, should never have been called Led Zeppelin. Page is vital to Zeppelin. I love Presence.

I'm not sure I could do a ranking right now, honestly, except for putting In Through the Outdoor at the very bottom. The rest...I really need to think about.

I foolishly turned down an opportunity to see Page and Plant in NYC in the 90s. The closest I got since then was Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes at Jones Beach...which I think was 1998 or 1999. Phenomenal show.

10 Years Gone is one of my favorite Zepp tracks...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #309 on: September 26, 2017, 09:28:24 PM »
Zepp is a band I really cannot ratings for.

If I had to though...

VI
In/Out Door
Perfect Symmetry
Houses
2/3

I don't know Presence enough to rate it. Achilles is fucking epic.. but besides that I never listen to it.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #310 on: September 26, 2017, 10:28:02 PM »
I don't know Presence enough to rate it. Achilles is fucking epic.. but besides that I never listen to it.
That's kinda how I feel about Presence as well. It has Achilles... which is an awesome song and then some other songs that I never really feel like listening to.

If I had to, I'd probably rank them thusly:
Houses
I just really love the vibe on this album. It certainly helps that it is also, front to back packed with great songs. Out of all the Zeppelin albums, I find Houses of the Holy to be the most listenable. I can listen to it again and again and not really get tired of it.

IV
Almost perfect. Some of the songs might be a little overplayed, but it also has the excellent and semi-underrated "Going To California" and "When the Levee Breaks."

II
Just front to back rock and roll heaven. The heights on IV are higher but there's absolutely nothing bad on this album.

PG
A little scattershot, but with some great gems. Probably didn't need to be a double album.

I
A great, bluesy debut but just doesn't excite me as much as some of their other albums.

Door
Definitely a giant, blazing sign broadcasting a band on its way to certain implosion. Still, they managed to craft an album with some fantastic songs even if the whole package was maybe not the best note to end on.

III
A couple of good songs, mostly meh. Not a bad album, but so completely overshadowed by everything else. Maybe it deserves more credit for being slightly more experimental than II and IV, but I think that only really matters if the songs are great or even just good. To me, they aren't.

Presence
It has "Achilles Last Stand," which is an awesome song. The rest are just kind of unmemorable. Not much more I can say about this than that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #311 on: September 27, 2017, 07:46:12 AM »
Late to the thread, but on the Lori Maddox thing:
- Her parents (at least her mom) were in on the arrangement. They knew about it, and if I'm not mistaken - though I can't find a reference immediately - proffered some form of guardianship on Jimmy because of the legal ramifications.   That was part of the "locked" thing; he made sure - because he wasn't a U.S. citizen - that his interaction with her was not overtly public. 
- She lost her virginity (according to her; I wasn't there) to David Bowie at 13.

As for Zeppelin, I've said this before:  300 concerts, and my single greatest concert moment was Page/Plant and "The Song Remains The Same", in '95 in New Jersey. It was transcendent.  After it was done I felt like I had been in a trance it was so mesmerizing.  I've never been that 'transported' by a song at a concert before or since. 

My ranking:
Physical Graffiti
IV
II
Houses of the Holy
I
Presence
In Through the out Door
III
Coda

The two canonical live albums - The Song Remains The Same and How The West Was Won - are integral, in my opinion.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: September 27, 2017, 08:14:44 AM »
Not sure I have anything to contribute that I didn't already is the discog discussion thread.  As for rankings of the studio albums:

IV - song-for-song, not a mis-fire here at all, and my #3 Album of all-time
III - replace Hats Off with Hey Hey, and this would leap-frog over IV
II - just a shade behind III
Physical Graffiti - so many epic riffs, and two of their most epic epics
I - 2nd best debut of all-time in my books (behind Boston)
Houses - eclectic as all get out, and a despite my hate for D'yer Mak'er, the strong songs are very strong
In Through the Out Door - Love the keyboard focus.  Carouselambra is a Top 10 Zeppelin song for me
Presence - far too inconsistent, but it aged well over the decades.  IIRC, this was Zeppelin's only album that charted to #1 on Billboard.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #313 on: September 27, 2017, 09:06:51 AM »

The two canonical live albums - The Song Remains The Same and How The West Was Won - are integral, in my opinion.

Agreed.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline emtee

« Reply #314 on: September 27, 2017, 10:34:14 AM »
I just listened to 2 of Robert Plant's new songs from his new solo album. Very soul filled music that reminds me Zeps early
albums.

I was really a HUGE Zep fan back in the day and loved all of the albums but IV has something about it...a quality that spoke to
millions of listeners over generations, that is maybe only rivaled by Dark Side Of The Moon in terms of being able to transport
you to a different place. It's the kind of album that needs to be in the time capsule that floats around in space so 1000 years
from now the aliens will be able to hear it.